Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there any more fan favorites on this team?

MattFancy

After going through the CP to IR threads, it got me thinking...are there any fan favorites on this team?

There have been numerous trade Portis, Moss, Cooley, Landry, Rogers, Hall, etc. threads. It seems like most people on here don't seem loyal to the players on the team. Portis especially, he carried us to the playoffs in 2005 and 2007. Take him off those teams and we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Cooley seems like a fan favorite, but people are always ready to trade him. Not really sure why.

It seems that back in the day, we wouldn't be hearing things about guys like Riggo, Monk, Clark, Green, Coleman, etc. Is it because in this era of free agency, players don't stick around long with one team so fans aren't as loyal to players as they were before?

If Portis has played his last game as a Redskin, I will be a little upset. He is one of my favorite players and always played with a lot of heart and gave it all everytime he was out there. He will be missed if he really is done. I sure as hell hope we don't trade Cooley. Just wouldn't make sense to trade someone as popular as him. Go to a Redskin game and look at who's jerseys you see the most of, Portis and Cooley.

Abstractly, there are no players on this team that have earned that status as a favorite. There are guys I like Fletcher, Cooley, Rock who seem to carry the torch of what it once meant to be a Redskin, but none of these current guys have built the memories or achieved anything to be put on a pedestal like a Joey T or a Riggo a D Green or a Monk.

They act like they are superstars, but they haven't won the games, haven't soared in the playoffs.

Who gives a **** about fan favorites? If you buy a jersey or have a favorite during the FA era, you're only bound for disappointment.

If you have a favorite player, fine. Easier and makes more sense to root for the team as a whole, considering not a single player on this roster has proven to be indispensable at this point. I'd rather see production than some guy out there who gave it all four years ago, but now only gives it with his mouth.

No one on this roster has done a damn thing worth **** as a Redskin, much less become "untouchable."

After going through the CP to IR threads, it got me thinking...are there any fan favorites on this team?

There have been numerous trade Portis, Moss, Cooley, Landry, Rogers, Hall, etc. threads. It seems like most people on here don't seem loyal to the players on the team. Portis especially, he carried us to the playoffs in 2005 and 2007. Take him off those teams and we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Cooley seems like a fan favorite, but people are always ready to trade him. Not really sure why.

It seems that back in the day, we wouldn't be hearing things about guys like Riggo, Monk, Clark, Green, Coleman, etc. Is it because in this era of free agency, players don't stick around long with one team so fans aren't as loyal to players as they were before?

If Portis has played his last game as a Redskin, I will be a little upset. He is one of my favorite players and always played with a lot of heart and gave it all everytime he was out there. He will be missed if he really is done. I sure as hell hope we don't trade Cooley. Just wouldn't make sense to trade someone as popular as him. Go to a Redskin game and look at who's jerseys you see the most of, Portis and Cooley.

I agree with not trading Cooley, but not because he is a fan favorite. As for Portis, he doesn't even practice, and IMO brings negative mojo to the sideline.

It wouldn't suprise me if Moss is the next guy to go, he seems to be catching some Portisitis and playing as if he doesn't care any more.

Free agency has made it really diffcult to identify with players and develop favourites. Back in the 80's there was a core of maybe 20 or more players who stayed together for most of the decade on whom 3 Super Bowl trip were built.

With the turnover today - at least our turnover - that's continuity is rare at best.

Winning would help as well of course.

Free agency has made it really diffcult to identify with players and develop favourites. Back in the 80's there was a core of maybe 20 or more players who stayed together for most of the decade on whom 3 Super Bowl trip were built.

With the turnover today - at least our turnover - that's continuity is rare at best.

Winning would help as well of course.

I think that is the main thing. Players come and go so often now a days its hard to have a favorite. Especially with the Skins. But I just find it odd that a guy like CP who carried us in 2005 and 2007, is now just being thrown to the curb by the fans. Seems like we are a "what have you done for me lately" society now.

I think that is the main thing. Players come and go so often now a days its hard to have a favorite. Especially with the Skins. But I just find it odd that a guy like CP who carried us in 2005 and 2007, is now just being thrown to the curb by the fans. Seems like we are a "what have you done for me lately" society now.

But notice his personality and attitude lately? I don't think everyone is being treated that way. Though I wouldn't mind the Redskins exploring trade options for Moss, I am not nearly as quick to push him out the door. He was a key contributor to my favorite Snyder-run season (2005) and he's been a good soldier. Same with Cooley. Same with guys like Andre Carter, etc.

I just don't like all the waves that Portis has caused over the years. Maybe it shows that we look for more than just on-the-field production.

Portis is my absolute favorite player. I do think there are some favorites left. Orakpo, Fletcher, and Cooley are leading the pack. Portis is a great back despite whatever happened this year.

:helmet:

I think Portis WAS a great back. But for the last eighteen months he has whether due to injury, lack of practice, will, the o-line or all of the above not been able to get it done. Right now, every back we have replaced him with has been more effective. That doesn't take away from what he did in the past esp. in that first drive to the playoffs, but it does mean that we should start to remember him fondly.

I think the great backs of my era would be (in order) Riggo, Byner, and then Portis/Stephen Davis

No, its because we suck and people are casting about trying to find a quick fix and guys like Cooley are the only guys who can get us something and we also did not have the internet then. Riggo, Monk, Clark, Green and Coleman pretty much played on good teams or teams that only needed an obvious tweak. Green was, in fact, the subject of many trade rumors in the mid-90s. Riggo was thought of as potential trade bait when Gibbs took over but after '82, no one even wondered since we really didn't need too much. Once these guys were close to attriting out, they had as much issues as guys like CP only not as well publicized because the NFL was not 24/7/365 in the pre-internet era.

I think Portis WAS a great back. But for the last eighteen months he has whether due to injury, lack of practice, will, the o-line or all of the above not been able to get it done. Right now, every back we have replaced him with has been more effective. That doesn't take away from what he did in the past esp. in that first drive to the playoffs, but it does mean that we should start to remember him fondly.

I think the great backs of my era would be (in order) Riggo, Byner, and then Portis/Stephen Davis

I'd put Portis ahead of Byner. If he continues to play, he'll do very well on another team. He won't be here because Shanahan doesn't want him.

:helmet:

Archived