Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top UFAs for 09-10/ Uncapped year FAs

Rufus T Firefly

I'd rather have Rock, Ganther and Mason next year than Clinton Portis. I haven't seen one of those guys run up the back of an O-lineman or fall over his own two feet.

We won't be able to dump Portis in the offseason. We are going to be stuck with him, like it or not.

If we cut Portis we save almost 2 mil in cap space. His contract is not a factor.

in fact next year would be the only year to cut him. His contract is pretty damn big. The year after next, assuming the return of a cap would be hurt by his current contract.

We either need to cut him or rework his contract so most of his salary is next year.

If we cut Portis we save almost 2 mil in cap space. His contract is not a factor.

Not true. About 6.5 mil of his salary next year is guaranteed, which isn't factored into his relase fee on the sites that show cap figures.

That said, in an uncapped year, it would be the height of foolishness not to get rid of him.

I like your efforts but to me the uncapped yr is more about shedding dead weight, paying off our debt, getting well below any cap if it were reinstated. Getting rid of all the coach's and start the rebuilding process with young healthy talent. Stop going after the big name players who are past their prime and stop paying like they are still in their prime.

I like your efforts but to me the uncapped yr is more about shedding dead weight, paying off our debt, getting well below any cap if it were reinstated. Getting rid of all the coach's and start the rebuilding process with young healthy talent. Stop going after the big name players who are past their prime and stop paying like they are still in their prime.

I agree with you. My main point was to show how buying upgrades won't work in an uncapped year. Along with just providing info, of course.

Great research. Doesn't look like free agency can help us much. Still, it's time to change our offensive identity, and that means cutting Portis. I'd look at Leon Washington, but wouldn't mind sticking with Cartwright, Ganther and Mason for the time being. If we think that there are no franchise QBs in the draft or FA, then we can focus even more purposefully on the offensive line. I happen to like Colt McCoy if he's available for our second round pick. It would be cool to say we have 2 Colts in our holster (kind of a funny image for a Native American team...right Cowgirl fan?) Having said that, I'd be just as happy taking an entire draft of O-lineman. We're looking at a 2 year minimum rebuilding project for our offense. Start with the line. Take the QB when the new coach and GM find him.

No good QB's are free agents, and in my opinion, not a great class of QB's coming from college. I don't know if we find a replacement for Campbell.

I don't know if any of us or the media can adequately judge whether this is a good QB class coming out this or any year. Did other NFL teams jump for joy when they knew that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were coming out? I doubt it, but their teams sure are now. If this year isn't a strong year, with all of the top QB's coming out, then I don't know what is...

This is the skins achilles heel not being able to evaluate FA or draft talent! There are some good young pieces in FA but unless we change FO personnel they will continue to choose the overpriced wrong fit guys! We have no clue who is going to be here or what system we will be running next year so we have to wait and see.

First thing I noticed was that group of LBs. Looks like a pretty solid group right there. I'd say we pick up the best SAM option on that list so we can officially move Orakpo to DE. Cuz like it or not fellas, an OLB better than Orakpo is not going to be there in round 4. Which is the earliest we should/can look for one.

And as long as B-Rak is our best option at OLB, you can be assured that he will stay there.

I say go OL in round one and hope one of top QBs falls to round 2. If they don't, draft another OL.

can I move that Jeff Garcia's name be banned from this forum. HE IS TO OLD!!
Yes, and he proves just how old he is every time he gets out onto the field.

Brett Favre is way too old also.:doh:

Some people will just take a saying, run with it and just start talking out the side of their neck.

Yes, and he proves just how old he is every time he gets out onto the field.

Brett Favre is way too old also.:doh:

Some people will just take a saying, run with it and just start talking out the side of their neck.

no kidding. Would Garcia be more effective RIGHT NOW than Campbell? Possibly in this WCO we run...

Fire Vinny

Hire Eric DeCosta.

Not true. About 6.5 mil of his salary next year is guaranteed, which isn't factored into his relase fee on the sites that show cap figures.

That said, in an uncapped year, it would be the height of foolishness not to get rid of him.

NOt really, we could afford to pay him and have him play. Who would take his place? How many years left on his contract?

NOt really, we could afford to pay him and have him play. Who would take his place? How many years left on his contract?

He has 4 years left on his contract. His release fee for 2011 is 5.444 mil, with a cap number of 10.589 mil. Look at it this way- given the decline in his production, do you think he's going to be worth over 10 mil in cap space in 2011? I don't see him being worth anywhere near that, even if he returned to his 07-08 form. Or, are we giving away future cap space just to keep him around for one more year? And, how good are we going to be in 2010? Are you giving away future cap space to keep Clinton so he might be able to help us win 8 games? As I said, any intelligent, forward-thinking FO has to realize an uncapped year means it's time for him to go.

Archived