Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top UFAs for 09-10/ Uncapped year FAs

Rufus T Firefly

So, I decided to look ahead to Free Agency for this offseason. My main purpose was to look at the ramifications of the possible uncapped year. As many of you know, in an uncapped year (which will happen with no new CBA), the rules of Free Agency also change. Players will not be eligible for Unrestricted Free Agency unless they have accrued 6 years in the league. I still see a lot of people posting things about what FAs they would like us to sign in an uncapped year without, apparently, understanding who would actually be eligible for Unrestricted status. So, I decided to compile my own list of the top guys who would be eligible under the old system versus who will be eligible under an uncapped year scenario.

I looked at various sites to find the players I believe to not be under contract for 2010 to arrive at the following list. I then checked ESPN.com to verify their number of seasons played. I apologize if something is innaccurate.

I don't list any Redskin players because my interest is in finding players who would be available to us. Were I listing Redskin players, Rogers, Campbell, McIntosh and Rabach all likely would have made the list. I also don't bother including RFAs on the list, as I consider them irrelevant to the discussion. Any RFAs of enough value will almost certainly be tendered at a high level and cost significantly in compensation.

So, without further ado, here are my top available UFAs for this offseason, assuming a new CBA:

QB (2)- Kyle Orton, Denver; Chad Pennington, Miami

RB (7)- Mike Bell, New Orleans; Jerious Norwood, Atlanta; Darren Sproles, San Diego; Chester Taylor, Minnesota; Leon Washington, NY Jets; LenDale White, Tennessee; Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay

WR (6)- Miles Austin, Dallas; Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay; Braylon Edwards, NY Jets; Vincent Jackson, San Diego; Brandon Marshall, Denver; Terrell Owens, Buffalo

TE (3)- Owen Daniels, Houston; Tony Scheffler, Denver; Ben Watson, New England

OT (6)- Chad Clifton, Green Bay; Daryn Colledge, Green Bay; Mike Gandy, Arizona; Marcus McNeil, San Diego; Donald Penn, Tampa Bay; Jeremy Trueblood, Tampa Bay

G/C (7)- Nick Cole, Philadelphia; Jahri Evans, New Orleans; Deuce Lutui, Arizona; Logan Mankins, New England; Kevin Mawae, Tennessee; Stephen Neal, New England; Chris Spencer, Seattle

DE (7)- Johnny Jolly, Green Bay; Aaron Kampman, Green Bay; Adewale Ogunleye, Chicago; Julius Peppers, Carolina; Richard Seymour, Oakland; Darryl Tapp, Seattle; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee

DT (3)- Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh; Ryan Pickett, Green Bay; Vince Wilfork, New England

3-4 OLB (2)- Elvis Dumervil, Denver; Shawne Merriman, San Diego

LB (9)- Gary Brackett, Indianapolis; Karlos Dansby, Arizona; Thomas Davis, Carolina; Thomas Howard, Oakland; D'Qwell Jackson, Cleveland; Kirk Morrison, Oakland; Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay; DeMeco Ryans, Houston; Stephen Tulloch, Tennessee

CB (4)- Leigh Bodden, New England; Marlin Jackson, Indianapolis; Richard Marshall, Carolina; Dunta Robinson, Houston

S (6)- OJ Atogwe, St. Louis; Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis; Nick Collins, Green Bay; Roman Harper, New Orleans; Danieal Manning, Chicago; Darren Sharper, New Orleans

K (4)- Stephen Gostkowski, New England; Shayne Graham, Cincinnati; Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland; Neil Rackers, Arizona

P (1)- Michael Koenen, Atlanta

So, let's now look at who of the above would be available if there is, in fact, no new CBA and the uncapped year happens (players with 6 years service time):

QB (1)- Chad Pennington, Miami

RB (1)- Chester Taylor, Minnesota;

WR (2)- Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay; Terrell Owens, Buffalo

TE (1)- Ben Watson, New England

OT (2)- Chad Clifton, Green Bay; Mike Gandy, Arizona

G/C (2)- Kevin Mawae, Tennessee; Stephen Neal, New England

DE (5)- Aaron Kampman, Green Bay; Adewale Ogunleye, Chicago; Julius Peppers, Carolina; Richard Seymour, Oakland; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee

DT (3)- Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh; Ryan Pickett, Green Bay; Vince Wilfork, New England

3-4 OLB (0)

LB (2)- Gary Brackett, Indianapolis; Karlos Dansby, Arizona

CB (2)- Leigh Bodden, New England; Dunta Robinson, Houston

S (1)- Darren Sharper, New Orleans

K (3)- Shayne Graham, Cincinnati; Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland; Neil Rackers, Arizona

P (0)

It's also worth noting that, in the uncapped year scenario, teams would have the ability to tag two players (a Franchise tag and a Transition tag) as opposed to the one tag we've seen in recent years. Meaning the second list would probably have several of the best names be tagged and be unavailable, or at least only available with heavy draft pick compensation. My guess would be that at least Wilfork, Janikowski, Seymour, Robinson and Peppers would be tagged. Pretty good chance Hampton, Graham, Sharper, Kampman and Rackers as well. New England could easily decide to choose between Watson and Bodden for their second tag.

So, that's what changes in an uncapped year. It's kind of hard to imagine how Snyder or anyone else goes on a massive spending spree with that kind of available talent.

If there is an uncapped year, and that's all thats available, it will force teams to value the draft even more.

It also means when a marquee player DOES become available, 100 million may not sound like a lot because there could be HUGE bidding wars with no cap and a small amount of plyers to choose from.

If there is an uncapped year, and that's all thats available, it will force teams to value the draft even more.

It also means when a marquee player DOES become available, 100 million may not sound like a lot because there could be HUGE bidding wars with no cap and a small amount of plyers to choose from.

There's a few things that could happen.

One is that a lot of players with large cap figures/ release fees could end up cut and then, obviously, join the FA ranks. Although keep in mind that most of those players would be older and/or underperformers.

Another I think could be interesting is the trade market could be a lot more open. I have said several times that I think we should go on a wholescale rebuilding effort. Well, now imagine the above list is all that's available in free agency. Further, imagine a veteran-laden team looking to make that big push for a title. It's possible such a team could be much more willing to give up draft picks for a good player or two, say for example Cooley or Carter.

Also keep in mind that no cap means that their is no salary cap floor also.

It also means when a marquee player DOES become available,

To include players who are just looking for paydays or don't deserve the amount of money they're going to demand. This time period should be used for us to get out of the hole we've dug and start from scratch.

Clifton came out the same year as Samuels, but has had an excellent career. Could work as a stopgap, though he's been somewhat injury prone the last few years. I'd love to get Marcus McNeil at LT. He's young and solid.

No good QBs!!! Sucks. Can't believe Warner and Brees were both available, and we traded for Brunell instead.

Chester Taylor would be a good pickup. Same with Mawae, but I think he's getting up there (not sure about his age).

I don't know if Leon Washington's injury is career-hurting, but he'd be great for the return teams, and a 2nd RB too.

Garcia or Pennington might be a decent fill-in if JC asks too much to re-sign for one or two years and we can't upgrade through the draft.

Whatever we do hope we don't go for Merriman, that'll be the worst pick-up of them all.

Thanks for that research Rufus!

I don't know if Leon Washington's injury is career-hurting, but he'd be great for the return teams, and a 2nd RB too.

Garcia or Pennington might be a decent fill-in if JC asks too much to re-sign for one or two years and we can't upgrade through the draft.

Whatever we do hope we don't go for Merriman, that'll be the worst pick-up of them all.

Thanks for that research Rufus!

can I move that Jeff Garcia's name be banned from this forum. HE IS TO OLD!!

There's a few things that could happen.

One is that a lot of players with large cap figures/ release fees could end up cut and then, obviously, join the FA ranks. Although keep in mind that most of those players would be older and/or underperformers.

Another I think could be interesting is the trade market could be a lot more open. I have said several times that I think we should go on a wholescale rebuilding effort. Well, now imagine the above list is all that's available in free agency. Further, imagine a veteran-laden team looking to make that big push for a title. It's possible such a team could be much more willing to give up draft picks for a good player or two, say for example Cooley or Carter.

There could also be some guys who are unhappy with their current teams and would possibly holdout.

For example Anquan Boldin has been very unhappy with the Cards for at least two years. He wants more money, and feels he's overlooked for Larry Fitzgerald. Arizona's normally pretty tight with money and their very talented third reciever is an RFA. If they cut Boldin, they no longer have to deal with him, take no hit to the cap and they free up money, from Bidwell's budget not from a cap, to put towards Berstein I think his name is.

There could also be some guys who are unhappy with their current teams and would possibly holdout.

For example Anquan Boldin has been very unhappy with the Cards for at least two years. He wants more money, and feels he's overlooked for Larry Fitzgerald. Arizona's normally pretty tight with money and their very talented third reciever is an RFA. If they cut Boldin, they no longer have to deal with him, take no hit to the cap and they free up money, from Bidwell's budget not from a cap, to put towards Berstein I think his name is.

I don't see any kind of trend developing there that would be any different from a capped year. Boldin is at the end of a long, fairly low money contract (hence the unhappiness), so teh dead cap from trading him would be minor. I think it would be similar with most players who would hold out.

It's Breaston, btw.

Would love Sproles on this team.

I'd rather have

RB (1)- Chester Taylor, Minnesota

Over Sproles or Leon Washington. He would make a great 1-2 punch with Portis and if it weren't for the Vikes having the best RB in the game today would easily be the starter there. Sproles couldn't keep the job from a broken down LT and Washington wasn't good enough to keep Thomas Jones off the field or to make the Jets not move up in the draft to get Shonn Green last year.

I'd rather have

RB (1)- Chester Taylor, Minnesota

Over Sproles or Leon Washington. He would make a great 1-2 punch with Portis and if it weren't for the Vikes having the best RB in the game today would easily be the starter there. Sproles couldn't keep the job from a broken down LT and Washington wasn't good enough to keep Thomas Jones off the field or to make the Jets not move up in the draft to get Shonn Green last year.

I'd rather have Rock, Ganther and Mason next year than Clinton Portis. I haven't seen one of those guys run up the back of an O-lineman or fall over his own two feet.

Archived