Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top UFAs for 09-10/ Uncapped year FAs

Rufus T Firefly

I don't see Marcus McNeil getting away from the Chargers. But if they don't resign him, we have to make acquiring him our #1 priority. If we bring in McNeil, we have a 26 year old Pro Bowler protecting our blindside. Doing this would allow us to focus on drafting other pieces on the offensive line, allow us to go after a new QB in the draft, and restock in other areas of need.

Based on this list, my wishlist for FAs includes:

Chad Pennington (Serviceable Starter we can play until our young guy is ready).

Jahri Evans (Look into possibly moving him to Center. If not, plug him at right guard).

Jeremy Trueblood (Guy is a monster who could start at RT for us right away).

Stephen Gostkowski (Finally solve our kicking problems).

Cadillac Williams (Is still young at 27, and would be a values signing with his talent and injury history. If you put him on a running back by committee approach, he'd be very valuable).

Notice how I didn't include a single defensive player? ;)

If there is an uncapped year, and that's all thats available, it will force teams to value the draft even more.

It also means when a marquee player DOES become available, 100 million may not sound like a lot because there could be HUGE bidding wars with no cap and a small amount of plyers to choose from.

If its an uncapped year most of these guys WON'T be UFAs, they'll be RFAs at best.

No good QB's are free agents, and in my opinion, not a great class of QB's coming from college. I don't know if we find a replacement for Campbell.

We don't, I've been saying for a while that uncapped year or not, there really aren't any options at QB.

McNabb may be available if the Eagles decide to hand the reigns over the Kolb, but that's an outside chance only.

When it's all said and done we may be best served with bringing Campbell back and concentrating on rebuilding the offensive line and starting a youth movement at RB, FB and LB.

In fact, I'd even go as far as bringing back Zorn. With all the turmoil surrounding the team had to deal with JZ has managed to keep the troops inspired.

If I'm Snyder I'd look at how the team responds in the final games of this season to determine Zorns fate.

Cut list:

ARE

Portis

Griffin

R Thomas

Samuels (if he doesn't retire)

Smoot

Draft list:

OL

OL

OL

OL

CB

OLB

RB

FA list:

Dansby

Vet CB

Bodies to compete for back-up OL spots

Theres only one small problem with this, and thats the fact that after this season WE HAVE NO QUATERBACK. This is JC's contract year and don't think for a second he's gonna take a 1 year deal.

Secondly,

Che Tay would be a nice addition but he's too old. He's older then portis...

Theres only one small problem with this, and thats the fact that after this season WE HAVE NO QUATERBACK. This is JC's contract year and don't think for a second he's gonna take a 1 year deal.

Secondly,

Chester Taylor! He would be a great addition to our team...young, very good back, gets overshadowed by AP so it underrated.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a one year deal. Like others have mentioned, we may end up best being served by resigning him for a few years. He's a restricted FA so we will basically get first dibs on him.

Also, Chester Taylor's not that young. He's 30 and he's basically Ladell Betts in my mind. When it comes to running backs, I'd rather go after a younger guy who come play as part of a committee (like Darren Sproles or even Cadillac Williams) or just draft a young guy in the middle rounds. Quality running backs can be found anywhere if you look carefully enough.

Marcus McNeil would be the number one person I'd go after. He's a stud on the field and even better guy off.

Trust me, he's a great person and would no doubt make our OL that much better.

FYI, Here's a picture of him before I took him and his girl up for a flight over San Diego.

McNeil.jpg

I love this thread. Every year someone posts the top FA list and people drool over signing this guy or that guy and dreaming up the endless posibilities, then ***** when we sign underperforming FAs to big contracts. ****ing hypocrites are the reason Snyder will never change.

I do not see a lot of good, YOUNG OL (except for Trueblood). No QBs to build with. Only one or two decent LBs. Slim pickings. And as said earlier, many teams will use this opportunity to shed aging, big contract players. I am afraid we will follow our previous 10 years of practice, and sign aging vets(who are over the hill) to fat contracts with no TEAM and no production left in them.

:mad:

(To those who have already read/commented, I remembered a couple of players I had dropped from my list when I was thinking the list would be something like a top 40, so I wanted to add them and so made it an even top 60)

So, I decided to look ahead to Free Agency for this offseason. My main purpose was to look at the ramifications of the possible uncapped year. As many of you know, in an uncapped year (which will happen with no new CBA), the rules of Free Agency also change. Players will not be eligible for Unrestricted Free Agency unless they have accrued 6 years in the league. I still see a lot of people posting things about what FAs they would like us to sign in an uncapped year without, apparently, understanding who would actually be eligible for Unrestricted status. So, I decided to compile my own list of the top guys who would be eligible under the old system versus who will be eligible under an uncapped year scenario.

I looked at various sites to find the players I believe to not be under contract for 2010 to arrive at the following list. I then checked ESPN.com to verify their number of seasons played. I apologize if something is innaccurate.

I don't list any Redskin players because my interest is in finding players who would be available to us. Were I listing Redskin players, Rogers, Campbell, McIntosh and Rabach all likely would have made the list. I also don't bother including RFAs on the list, as I consider them irrelevant to the discussion. Any RFAs of enough value will almost certainly be tendered at a high level and cost significantly in compensation.

There's no particular reason for there being 60 players on this list. I just went with who I felt were the best players available, and this is what I came up with. People may feel that a certain player merited inclusion, but I wouldn't want to get bogged down into that kind of argument. I guess I would say that with 60 players listed, certainly it would be safe to say at least the top 40-45 are on the list, and leave it at that.

So, without further ado, here are my top 60 available UFAs for this offseason, assuming a new CBA:

QB (2)- Kyle Orton, Denver; Chad Pennington, Miami

RB (6)- Jerious Norwood, Atlanta; Darren Sproles, San Diego; Chester Taylor, Minnesota; Leon Washington, NY Jets; LenDale White, Tennessee; Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay

WR (6)- Miles Austin, Dallas; Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay; Braylon Edwards, NY Jets; Vincent Jackson, San Diego; Brandon Marshall, Denver; Terrell Owens, Buffalo

TE (3)- Owen Daniels, Houston; Tony Scheffler, Denver; Ben Watson, New England

OT (6)- Chad Clifton, Green Bay; Daryn Colledge, Green Bay; Mike Gandy, Arizona; Marcus McNeil, San Diego; Donald Penn, Tampa Bay; Jeremy Trueblood, Tampa Bay

G/C (5)- Nick Cole, Philadelphia; Jahri Evans, New Orleans; Logan Mankins, New England; Kevin Mawae, Tennessee; Stephen Neal, New England

DE (6)- Johnny Jolly, Green Bay; Aaron Kampman, Green Bay; Adewale Ogunleye, Chicago; Julius Peppers, Carolina; Richard Seymour, Oakland; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee

DT (3)- Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh; Ryan Pickett, Green Bay; Vince Wilfork, New England

3-4 OLB (2)- Elvis Dumervil, Denver; Shawne Merriman, San Diego

LB (8)- Gary Brackett, Indianapolis; Karlos Dansby, Arizona; Thomas Davis, Carolina; Thomas Howard, Oakland; D'Qwell Jackson, Cleveland; Kirk Morrison, Oakland; Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay; DeMeco Ryans, Houston

CB (4)- Leigh Bodden, New England; Marlin Jackson, Indianapolis; Richard Marshall, Carolina; Dunta Robinson, Houston

S (4)- OJ Atogwe, St. Louis; Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis; Nick Collins, Green Bay; Darren Sharper, New Orleans

K (4)- Stephen Gostkowski, New England; Shayne Graham, Cincinnati; Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland; Neil Rackers, Arizona

P (1)- Michael Koenen, Atlanta

So, let's now look at who of the above 60 would be available if there is, in fact, no new CBA and the uncapped year happens (players with 6 years service time):

QB (1)- Chad Pennington, Miami

RB (1)- Chester Taylor, Minnesota;

WR (2)- Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay; Terrell Owens, Buffalo

TE (1)- Ben Watson, New England

OT (2)- Chad Clifton, Green Bay; Mike Gandy, Arizona

G/C (2)- Kevin Mawae, Tennessee; Stephen Neal, New England

DE (5)- Aaron Kampman, Green Bay; Adewale Ogunleye, Chicago; Julius Peppers, Carolina; Richard Seymour, Oakland; Kyle Vanden Bosch, Tennessee

DT (3)- Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh; Ryan Pickett, Green Bay; Vince Wilfork, New England

3-4 OLB (0)

LB (2)- Gary Brackett, Indianapolis; Karlos Dansby, Arizona

CB (2)- Leigh Bodden, New England; Dunta Robinson, Houston

S (1)- Darren Sharper, New Orleans

K (3)- Shayne Graham, Cincinnati; Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland; Neil Rackers, Arizona

P (0)

It's also worth noting that, in the uncapped year scenario, teams would have the ability to tag two players (a Franchise tag and a Transition tag) as opposed to the one tag we've seen in recent years. Meaning the second list would probably have several of the best names be tagged and be unavailable, or at least only available with heavy draft pick compensation. My guess would be that at least Wilfork, Janikowski, Seymour, Robinson and Peppers would be tagged. Pretty good chance Hampton, Graham, Sharper, Kampman and Rackers as well. New England could easily decide to choose between Watson and Bodden for their second tag.

So, that's what changes in an uncapped year. It's kind of hard to imagine how Snyder or anyone else goes on a massive spending spree with that kind of available talent.

what you forget is all the guys cut so teams can unload big contracts of good players who aren't worth top $ any more. That list will grow leaps and bounds if its an uncapped year.

As someone who pays just as much to the Texans as I do the Redskins, I can say, without a doubt, that Dunta Robinson is a solid CB. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than what Los is giving us this year. ( Did you see that hit he laid on Addai on Sunday)

It is no secret that we are going to be looking for another CB in 2010, might as well get someone who is proven. He should not cost that much and he can make an impact immediately.

what you forget is all the guys cut so teams can unload big contracts of good players who aren't worth top $ any more. That list will grow leaps and bounds if its an uncapped year.

I didn't forget that at all. I pointed it out in one of the comments, actually. But I can't really make a list of "guys who are going to be cut in an uncapped year", can I?

But yes, they'll be out there. So, if you're hoping your team shops for a bunch of 30-somethings, injured former stars and guys who teams were pleased to be rid of, then this could be your big year.

Archived