Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one who thinks Campbell is getting better?

Slateman

Been off the boards for a few days, so this may have been covered.

The last three weeks, Campbell has looked better. He is making reads better. He's working through his progressions quicker. He seems to be finding that second and third option. Guys like Davis, Kelly, and Thomas are getting the ball now.

Obviously, part of it is the line. He has a lack of time so his decision making has to be compressed. But, I also think a lot of it has to do with JC putting in the work and studying the playbook and working with Zorn (who isn't consumed with play calling now)

Thoughts?

Oh man, get ready for a tsunami, here.

I think Campbell has been playing pretty well lately, all things considered. But that is verboten around here for the most part now and any opinion to the contrary seem to just bring about a bunch of scorn and ridicule at anyone who would say such a thing.

I think considering the odds he's up against (with all the injuries to the OL, RBs, and Cooley) he's certainly holding his own. However, points still aren't on the board. All the stats between the 20's don't mean jack if it's not punched in at the red zone. With both Portis and Betts out, it's time for the offense to lean on the young guys (Campbell, Thomas, Kelly, Mitchell, Davis) and see if these guys are the future. At least something can be salvaged with this season.

Well, he's certainly our best option at this point, and he may be for next season too depending on what happens in the draft.

Brennan and Campbell will both probably be given an opportunity next season to play. If we draft a young QB, it would still be wise to keep Campbell. I believe he's a RFA in an uncapped year, so it would be smart for us to keep him, even if it's as a safety valve for Brennan/a rookie QB.

He has seemed to have gotten better in the last few weeks and I've been very impressed with his toughness. He's looked a lot better under pressure the last few weeks. His throws have been a little more accurate.

However, I still don't believe that he is the right quarterback for the job. He still misses open guys and when he does see them, he tends to miss the throw. He isnt the right quarterback for this system.

Still, I wouldnt completely mind seeing him still here next year while we take the time to rebuild our O-line. I really hope that Vinny doesnt waste our first couple of picks on getting us a new QB when a rookie will just get killed with the line we have.

Imagine what Jason could do with some consistent play calling, a serviceable offensive line, a running game, and a decent receiving corps.

our play calling hasn't been consistent since Jason has been in the league:

Gibbs, Saunders, Zorn, Lewis

take a look at the offensive line he has had to play behind this year:

Heyer: shouldn't even be in the NFL

Rinehar: back up

Williams: not even in the NFL the past two years

Jones: wasn't even on a team for the first half of the season

Rabach: average at best

Dockery: only solid guy on our line

running game has been awful this year until the second half of the Falcons game and last week against the Broncos.

receiving corps:

Moss...not a #1 on 3/4 of NFL teams

El......not a #2 on 3/4 of NFL teams

Kelly & Thomas.....unproven receivers

Teams like the Patriots (before Moss and Welker) and the Eagles (before Jackson) with established offenses and established QBs can get away with having a lack-luster receiving corps....but we don't fit into that category.

- Romo sits to pee looked scared/flustered w/ a much better o-line then we have on Sunday, so imagine him behind our line?

- All NFL QB's not named Brees, Brady or Manning make mistakes and miss reads, I think the man has done a great job w. NO ONE in front of him...

I've maintained that Jason can look good when he's on his game. But his game is a very limited one with 3 different types of completions -- all short to intermediate -- and it will never score enough points for us.

That said, I don't recall him looking good against Denver. He missed on a couple of deep plays that kind of prove the point.

:hysterical:

Another example of how the standards of QB play have sunk to unimaginable depths around here...

Could be much worse. Imagine if we had given up our next TWO 1st round draft picks along with a 3rd for Cutler. He is certainly lighting it up over there in Chicago. And, while Chicago doesn't have a great OL, it is definitely better than ours and the guy still makes completely boneheaded mistakes over and over.

I'd say over the past two he has played OK, but I just can't see us winning 9+ games per year with him. The thing he is able to do is hit the man short of the first down marker and let him break tackles to get a first down if possible. When we get closer to the redzone it seems like he isn't willing to take his eyes off of the safe short pass and get the pass to the more risky play in the endzone. I think we can win a few here and there but not unless guys are really breaking tackles down field and we can run the ball better.

I've maintained that Jason can look good when he's on his game. But his game is a very limited one with 3 different types of completions -- all short to intermediate -- and it will never score enough points for us.

That said, I don't recall him looking good against Denver. He missed on a couple of deep plays that kind of prove the point.

He did miss a couple of throws vs Denver, but overall he looked pretty solid. As far as the passes, I think that is mostly what they call because it is incredibly rare for him to have time to even let a deep play develop. They are pretty much limited to 3 and 5 step drops at this point, and even then he gets guys in his face very fast.

I've hard a hard time figuring out who is doing what in our offense... at times I think JC is playing better and showing promise... then I see someone break down tape of him and illustrating some of the same old tendencies, locking in on one guy, not seeing the entire field, missing wide open WRs, not stepping up into the pocket, not keeping eyes down field, etc.,

but when you consider everything going around JC, an oline welded together from stripped parts off the unemployment line, a carousel of RBs that are about as healthy and explosive as WWII artillery, and a system of playcalling that rivals lord of the flies, I don't know what to realistically expect from JC...

Could be much worse. Imagine if we had given up our next TWO 1st round draft picks along with a 3rd for Cutler. He is certainly lighting it up over there in Chicago. And, while Chicago doesn't have a great OL, it is definitely better than ours and the guy still makes completely boneheaded mistakes over and over.

Vinny's inability as a GM saved our collective asses on that one

:hysterical:

Another example of how the standards of QB play have sunk to unimaginable depths around here...

It's funny isn't it. I'll give him credit for being "tough" and converting those third downs against Dallas, but there's a reason teams are giving the 'skins the underneath routes and intermediate routes. They have NO respect for Campbell's ability to throw the deep pass.

Until he threw that pick against dallass, he looked serviceable.

I think credit is also due to Sherm since he's taking over the play calling. The offensive playcalling has looked a lot different from the beginning of the season.

But then he reminded us of why he isn't the QB of our future. He's made that mistake way too many times.

He had his opportunity to buy some good fortune and win some of the fans back by marching us down field for a victory against a historic rival in our first game in their new stadium, but he flopped. He did what he does best, and gave the ball to the other team.

(now my cowturd co-workers are talking reckless...........thanks a lot #17)

The last three weeks, Campbell has looked better. He is making reads better. He's working through his progressions quicker. He seems to be finding that second and third option. Guys like Davis, Kelly, and Thomas are getting the ball now.

Thoughts?

I think Zorn has helped Campbell with the realization that he's gonna get hit often playing behind our OL.

I bet the mentality is something like this: there's no need to worry about the pass rush when you know you're going get hit.

I think the coaching staff (Sherman Lewis/Zorn) are doing a good job of calling plays to get the ball out quick.

I think its a testament Jason's toughness; alot of QBs won't be able to stand and deliver behind this OL.

It's funny isn't it. I'll give him credit for being "tough" and converting those third downs against Dallas, but there's a reason teams are giving the 'skins the underneath routes and intermediate routes. They have NO respect for Campbell's ability to throw the deep pass.

i rewatched all those 3rd downs last night. i think he was 13/13 on 3rd down and 9 of them were thrown short of the marker. hes still doing the same old stuff, except the cowboys blitzed a ton and he made them pay a few times (pass to moss over middle, broken play to thomas, nice pass to kelly).

hes not getting any better. this is who he is.

Archived