Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one who thinks Campbell is getting better?

Slateman

I think Zorn has helped Campbell with the realization that he's gonna get hit often playing behind our OL.

There's no need for Jason to worry about the pass rush when you know you're going get hit.

I think the coaching staff (Sherman Lewis/Zorn) are doing a good job of calling plays to get the ball out quick.

I think its a testament Jason's toughness; alot of QBs won't be able to stand and deliver behind this OL.

please see the "keep jason" thread. id like your response regarding your three step drop comments.

JC still has hot feet and throws out of balance or off his back foot way to often. He just happens to be finding people in this manor recently. He is just not ever going to be a stand in the pocket and throw type of guy, which means he will never be a quality NFL QB.

If you are on a short drop and have guys coming right through your line you aren't exactly in a position to step up into a semi to non-existent pocket. Unless you are suicidal or just want to take a sack because they feel good.

What do you define as "Better" like Botched said 2TD 2INT over 3 games is horrible. I won't allow the mediocrasy to lower my expectations to a JV level this is the Pro's and thats 3rd stringer type number

alex smith who is considered an even bigger bust than campbell has 3 games of 3 TDs on this season alone. campbell has 1 in his whole career.

but campbell is improving!

What do you define as "Better" like Botched said 2TD 2INT over 3 games is horrible. I won't allow the mediocrasy to lower my expectations to a JV level this is the Pro's and thats 3rd string type numbers I would expect that from Colt Brennan

Yes, I suppose it is all a matter of perspective. I remember watching some of the Bears game and at the end of the first half the commentators said something like "well, on the bright side for Chicago, Jay Cutler hasn't thrown any interceptions in the first half today". And they weren't even joking or trying to be funny.

If you are on a short drop and have guys coming right through your line you aren't exactly in a position to step up into a semi to non-existent pocket. Unless you are suicidal or just want to take a sack because they feel good.

look at my breakdown from the cowboys game in the keep jason thread. campbell was in shotgun for 25 of his 37 attempts. he wasnt doing short drops and getting hit.

he also didnt read any defense pre snap and make any adjustments, and blitzers came flying in with a head start. a good QB will recognize this and make adjustments.

the cowboys also blitzed 6-7 guys on numerous plays. no line is holding up to that, especially with ware and spencer coming full steam ahead up field.

this whole "hes in a 3 step drop" all day is nonsense (at least in the cowboys game it was).

i rewatched all those 3rd downs last night. i think he was 13/13 on 3rd down and 9 of them were thrown short of the marker. hes still doing the same old stuff, except the cowboys blitzed a ton and he made them pay a few times (pass to moss over middle, broken play to thomas, nice pass to kelly).

hes not getting any better. this is who he is.

the guy goes 13/13 on 3rd down...yet you find a way to bash him regarding that....pathetic!

plays aren't always designed to have a receiver catch the ball past the 1st down marker. A lot of times routes are designed to have the player catch the ball underneath the coverage and have the receiver get yards after the catch to convert the first down. (defenses know where the first down markers are, not just the offense)

Another note: usually when a receiver catches the ball short of the first down marker ( and the play was designed to catch the ball past the marker) 9 times out of 10 that is the receivers fault...cutting their route short.

alex smith who is considered an even bigger bust than campbell has 3 games of 3 TDs on this season alone. campbell has 1 in his whole career.

but campbell is improving!

your arguments are terrible. They play in a different offense with a different system and different supporting castes.

look at my breakdown from the cowboys game in the keep jason thread. campbell was in shotgun for 25 of his 37 attempts. he wasnt doing short drops and getting hit.

he also didnt read any defense pre snap and make any adjustments, and blitzers came flying in with a head start. a good QB will recognize this and make adjustments.

the cowboys also blitzed 6-7 guys on numerous plays. no line is holding up to that, especially with ware and spencer coming full steam ahead up field.

this whole "hes in a 3 step drop" all day is nonsense (at least in the cowboys game it was).

Ok, so vs Dallas he was in the shotgun and still getting hit. As far as adjustments to the blitz, it is mostly just knowing the hot reads and getting it to them, which I think he did pretty well that game. If you have 6-7 guys coming, shifting a formation to add a guy to block, etc isn't going to do all that much besides maybe save you an extra .5 seconds. With that many guys coming, you are right, no line is going to hold up to that, so you get it to a hot read quickly.

Getting better is a relative term anyways. I would say he is improving, but that its not saying a whole lot. He is not making big strides nor the mark from where he has come was all that high anyways.

Exactly. Marginal improvement doesn't mean a whole lot. Can anyone really believe that he's suddenly going to "get it" after 5 seasons of trying?

your arguments are terrible. They play in a different offense with a different system and different supporting castes.

So are you saying that Campbell's been in Zorns version of the Westcoast Offense his whole career and he's never had any good receivers his whole time here thats why he's only had 1 3TD game in 4yrs. Not to mention that Moss and Cooley were putting up way better numbers with Brunell under center and Brunell was the Master of Checkdown

So what did Campbell do well in that game?

I think he got the ball out on time, kept his eyes downfield, converted 3rd downs, and avoided a lot of pressure that came up the middle over Rabach/Rhinehart/Williams.

So what did Campbell do well in that game?

I think he got the ball out on time, kept his eyes downfield, converted 3rd downs, and avoided a lot of pressure that came up the middle over Rabach/Rhinehart/Williams.

he made the cowboys pay on a few blitzes, first time ive seen him do that in quite some time (if ever). he stood in the pocket well and took hits. his completions on 3rd down are misleading because the majority were dump offs, which he usually does, but a few were nice (namely plays to kelly and thomas).

but -

- he didnt score any points

- he didnt help the oline at all with any pre snap reads and adjustments

- because he couldnt read the D, the blitz was never slowed, therefore nothing downfield could develop due to guys in his face all day

- his game ending INT could have easily been avoided

he didnt play terrible, he rarely does. but its never enough to win, its just enough not to lose.

It did look like JC was playing "a little better" the last 2 games, but considering the time he's been behind centrer, I wouldn't say it justifies him being the starter next year.

The playcalling isn't helping him much when its a constant run run pass scenario, and I noticed the few times they actaully passed on 1st downs it was catching defenses off guard.

IMO, the coaches know JC will be under constant pressure from defenses, yet I noticed receivers running deep routes, and instead of breaking to the middle where it was wide open, they head to the sidelines where there's no chance of being seen much less caught IF it were to be thrown that way.

JC may be taking steps in the right direction, and he may end up playing better towards the end of the season, but I do not believe these steps are large enough, nor do I believe he should be the starter next season. I just cannot justify him having any chance next season here, and any improvement shown on the field may be an audition for another team...

So are you saying that Campbell's been in Zorns version of the Westcoast Offense his whole career and he's never had any good receivers his whole time here thats why he's only had 1 3TD game in 4yrs. Not to mention that Moss and Cooley were putting up way better numbers with Brunell under center and Brunell was the Master of Checkdown

no, I'm saying that Campbell playing in a different system with different play callers every year has screwed him. Moss and Cooley had better numbers than Campbell because they played in a system with an above average offensive line and a very good running game. The whole time Campbell played under Gibbs he was handcuffed and wasn't set free to just play.

he made the cowboys pay on a few blitzes, first time ive seen him do that in quite some time (if ever). he stood in the pocket well and took hits. his completions on 3rd down are misleading because the majority were dump offs, which he usually does, but a few were nice (namely plays to kelly and thomas).

but -

- he didnt score any points

- he didnt help the oline at all with any pre snap reads and adjustments

- because he couldnt read the D, the blitz was never slowed, therefore nothing downfield could develop due to guys in his face all day

- his game ending INT could have easily been avoided

he didnt play terrible, he rarely does. but its never enough to win, its just enough not to lose.

EXCELLENT assesment especially Campbell playing well enough not to loose, take Thursday off.

Archived