Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jarmon at DT Next Year?

method man

With the season Andre Carter is having coupled with his no-trade clause, it looks like he is going to start at DE again next year. I think Orakpo can probably handle strongside DE duties next year. He is already 265 and he could probably add some more weight. For comparison, Victor Abiamiri, the Eagles' strongside end is about 270.

This presents a situation as we definitely need to get Jarmon some playing time. I remember Blache saying that Jarmon had the potential to add another 15-20 pounds to his frame and be a hybrid DT/DE. Should we have him do this and start him at DT next to Haynesworth to get him on the field?

At the same time, I'd still love to take a DT in the top 3 rounds this year as this is a historically deep class. If we do this, we can just have Jarmon rotate in as the no. 3 end and have him replace Carter in a couple years as the starter.

I don't think that Jarmon has the weight necessary to play for a full season at tackle. He might be able to spell people on passing downs or something like that, but if he were in there on running downs he would be bowled over. He is more of an end and that is where his effectiveness lies. That is where he should be playing.

I highly disagree with the idea of drafting a DT early in the draft. DT is a position where we actually have a bit of depth in already with Golston and Montgomery. We have so many other holes at OL, LB, QB, and RB (although maybe not after this past Sunday). With a ton of first day picks, I would say sure go ahead and pick up another DT. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury.

Think this is a moot point, assuming we part ways with Griffin this offseason we have Golston who is ready to be a starter and Montgomery / Alexander who are very capable backups and both ready for more playing time.

We use 2 late round picks on a DT / DE and we are fine next season on the D-Line even without a FA signing, Jarmon can rotate in with Carter / Orakpo just fine at either end.

Think this is a moot point, assuming we part ways with Griffin this offseason we have Golston who is ready to be a starter and Montgomery / Alexander who are very capable backups and both ready for more playing time.

We use 2 late round picks on a DT / DE and we are fine next season on the D-Line even without a FA signing, Jarmon can rotate in with Carter / Orakpo just fine at either end.

Golston is a career backup. If we can add a guy with explosion in Rd 3 like a Tyson Alualu or a Vince Oghobaase, we could have a dominant DLine.

Wait, what? I didn't realize Andre Carter had a no trade clause in his contract! That's a bit disappointing if true because I thought he could really bring us some value this off season. I'm all for having three excellent pass rushing defensive ends, but I wanted to get younger at his position. This was an excellent draft to do it in.

I really like Andre Carter though and he's a class act. I can't get too disappointed about him sticking around since he's been so unstoppable.

Golston isn't a stud, but I'd say he's better than "career backup" material. At worst he's what he is now... a good rotation-guy, same as Alexander.

The bigger concern to me is Montgomery. I'm just not sure whether we can/want to keep him next year.

Of course, I'd love to see a really good complement to Haynesworth... that would make our D pretty fearsome (assuming or freakin' secondary could quit giving up the random big plays)

I highly disagree with the idea of drafting a DT early in the draft. DT is a position where we actually have a bit of depth in already with Golston and Montgomery. We have so many other holes at OL, LB, QB, and RB (although maybe not after this past Sunday). With a ton of first day picks, I would say sure go ahead and pick up another DT. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury.

Golston is an average player at best and I'm pretty sure Monty is on his way out. Ditto for Griffin. I like Lorenzo Alexander but I don't think he should be confused for a starter. Add to that we'd be pretty naive to expect Haynesworth to play a whole season and you need a good rotation at the position anyway. Our defense will experience a huge drop off without elite DT play.

We'd be foolish to think we are set at DT going forward. This is a great DT class, we should look to draft a standout player in the first couple of rounds. It's a move that will pay enormous dividends.

Golston is a career backup.

I am all for drafting a DT next season but think you are underestimating Golston a little, he plays hard and with a real motor and deserves a shot at starting next season next to Haynesworth, dont be surprised to see him cut even more into Griffins playing time as this season gets along.

I am all for drafting a DT next season but think you are underestimating Golston a little, he plays hard and with a real motor and deserves a shot at starting next season next to Haynesworth, dont be surprised to see him cut even more into Griffins playing time as this season gets along.

Golston is average in run D and doesn't get much pressure as a pass rusher either. He is average. A nice #3 tackle to have but not a starter. We could really benefit by having another explosive DT next to Haynesworth. I'd love to have Suh or McCoy, especially McCoy, who would be in our range. McCoy would get a lot of sacks next to Haynesworth and Carter and Orakpo would benefit even more. We would have the best DLine in the NFL and have good backups like Jarmon, Golston, and Wilson.

I think when referring to Jarmon as a hybrid DE/DT they meant in the sense that Justin Tuck slides inside on passing downs to get Kiwi and Osi on the field. I don' see any reason not to continue the end rotation we have now with Jarmon cutting more and more into Daniels' playing time as he grows into the position.

Golston is an average player at best and I'm pretty sure Monty is on his way out. Ditto for Griffin. I like Lorenzo Alexander but I don't think he should be confused for a starter. Add to that we'd be pretty naive to expect Haynesworth to play a whole season and you need a good rotation at the position anyway. Our defense will experience a huge drop off without elite DT play.

We'd be foolish to think we are set at DT going forward. This is a great DT class, we should look to draft a standout player in the first couple of rounds. It's a move that will pay enormous dividends.

I concur. Our defensive tackles have been mediocre for years. Many fans have severely overrated Golston and Montgomery.

Often times you don't see the DT making the play, but rather the ends. Look at our sacks/pressure this year compared to last. Heck, compare it to the year before it. Yeah, we added Orakpo. However, everyone else got a year older (Daniels and Griffin) and Orakpo isn't on the line most of the time. Haynesworth, a great DT, made the difference. When you compare the Haynesworth to Golston and Montgomery, it's like comparing a man to children. Sure enough, the results are night and day as well.

Regarding Jarmon, I like what he does where he does it. The only thing I'd change is give him some more playing time! My thoughts are to have Jarmon at starting RE next year with Orakpo in the same role until Carter is ready to depart. While I think Orakpo would be great with his hands in the dirt the majority of plays, Carter is sufficient. Also, I like Orakpo better at LB than anyone else (Blades, Carter, uhhh... who else?)

I like Lorenzo Alexander but I don't think he should be confused for a starter.

I don't understand this sentiment about LA. I've known the dude was a player years ago. All he does he work his butt off and make plays. The guy's a starter bro no doubt about it. We need more like him on this team and if this FO let's him walk I will not like it one bit.

our DT depth is not as good as one would think. Montgomery and Golston are both free, unless the cap isn't brought back next year. In that case, Montgomery is probably gone, or he wouldn't be benched all this time. He has shown more than Golston the past few years.

Golston is just solid depth, not a starter. Griffin is getting old and needs to go.

That being said, we only have Haynesworth, and two rotational guys in Golston and Alexander next year. We'll need to draft a DT and pick one up in free agency to rotate in basically.

Even then, you'd need to draft another DT in 2011. By the 2011, Haynesworth will presumably only have 2-3 seasons left. You'll need to develop 2 rookies who can start down the road.

At DE, leave Orakpo and Jarmon on the outside, and Carter still has some time left. This way we can draft later round guys to develop.

you guys make me chuckl draft another DT with all that money tied up in Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Carter? Sorry, we have more important needs this year than DT. We need Oline help somewhere. Hopefully.

I don't think anyone's contesting that Oline is our greatest need right now. I also don't think anyone's saying, "Let's draft everything BUT oline."

However, if we can get a very good DT in the 3rd round vs a decent Olineman, I'll take the DT. Haynesworth won't be around/be at the top of his game for more than a few years. Also, our Oline woes won't be resolved in one offseason anyway. No point in rushing into it if we don't get quality players.

The Golston thought is a little bit Cerrato-esque. It's the way of thinking that says we should dump a Pierce or a Clark and replace them with a superstar. Not every position needs an all pro. In fact, it's a good thing to have high effort, blue collar guys mixed in.

We should have just kept dixon and canned Wynn. Problem solved. We cannot draft ANOTHER D lineman with our offensive line in shambles. Anyways, a DT just occupies blockers so London can make a play. I fully expect Blache's favorite DE Phil "Molasses" Daniels to be back next year and again getting the majority of snaps at LDE. Wynn will be back too. Blache loves him. If you want to draft defense, we need a SAM. If having to move 2 DE's to LB isnt obvious enough of our needs on D.

Jarmon and Rak need to be on the field much more to generate a pass rush from our front 4. Blache doesnt seem to care we dont get much pressure from our 4, sacks nor turnovers.

Oh come on all the draft guessing in this whole thread is pointless.... From our draft history I can easily pull a Miss Cleo out of my arse:

We'll draft a DB 1st round, trade our 2nd and a 2011 pick to move up and take another 1st round QB and then be done until the 6th & 7th rounds where we will trade 2011's 5th rounder to get an extra 6th and take a linebacker, an OL project and of course a fullback. :doh:

you guys make me chuckl draft another DT with all that money tied up in Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Carter? Sorry, we have more important needs this year than DT. We need Oline help somewhere. Hopefully.

Carter and Orakpo are DE's or hybrid DE/OLB, what have they to do with the DT rotation?

We all agree we need O'line help first and formost and we will almost certainly have a new starting QB next year via the draft, trade or free agency. That does not mean there are not other areas of the roster were we will see turnover and which need to be addressed.

Griffin, Daniels and Wynn are probably done after this year on the D'Line. Montgomery will be traded, released in all probability. Thats 4 bodies gone who need to be replaced on the D'line in some way if only for depth.

Add in Rogers has probably played and talked his way out of a new deal here and you may need a new starting corner unless we feel Smoot has a nother year as a starter (not in my opinion) or that Davis or Tryon can step up.

I also think we need to get a starting quality OLB to allow us to use Orakpo more at RDE on 1st and 2nd downs.

Now we may not be able to do all this in one offseason but that does not mean we should ignore other needs and just look for O'lineman and a QB.

Archived