Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jarmon at DT Next Year?

method man

Jarmon at DT.

I like it. Let's play another one our young talented players out his proven position. :doh:

Now, if you mean using him creatively to generate a pass rush on obvious passing downs only. OK, then maybe.

Otherwise, I am tired of all this using players in their unnatural position crap.

It depends on what type of defensive scheme they play. I hate this gap control crap Blache has going on. So essentially, they play the run first.

But if the DC next year has a more conventional 4-3 where they are rushing the passer, then it is important to have a guy with Jarmon's size to play the right side. :2cents:

Jarmon should be starting instead of Daniels and I think both he and Wynn will be gone. (Daniels may stay as a coach, scout or become an agent).

So no, he should start as a DE.

We may only have 1 DT on our opening day roster, that is on it now and that may turn out to be our largest, most glaring hole, especially since that one DT isn't always in the best of shape.

I guess we are never satisfied with anything on this team. We need O-Line help and everyone clamors for us to take O-Linemen in the early rounds but now it looks like people are wanting us to take a DT to compliment Haynesworth. If the draft is that deep with DT's then we don't need to take a DT early and we can take a OT to replace Samuels if he isn't able to continue playing. Levi Jones is a good replacement for the short term but we need long term help on the O-Line before we address anymore D-Line help unless the DT is a can't pass up type of impact player. Gholston, Alexander, Montgomery and Griffin are still very serviceable DT's. Adding to that would be a plus but we need to address the offense first this time.

Golston is average in run D and doesn't get much pressure as a pass rusher either. He is average. A nice #3 tackle to have but not a starter. We could really benefit by having another explosive DT next to Haynesworth. I'd love to have Suh or McCoy, especially McCoy, who would be in our range. McCoy would get a lot of sacks next to Haynesworth and Carter and Orakpo would benefit even more. We would have the best DLine in the NFL and have good backups like Jarmon, Golston, and Wilson.

I like Art Jones from Syracuse. He's a powerful and lengthy player who will excel in gap control. He's also explosive enough to stunt and shoot his gaps to collapse the pocket from the inerior. He's being talked about as a 5 technique in a 3-4, but I actually like him better for us in a 4-3. He's a versatile player like Suh who I think could excel as both a 3 an 1 technique in our scheme. He's also a high character guy, locker room leader and a coaches favorite so he'd make an excellent replacement for Griffin in that respect. The only knock on Art is his injury history. That's why he'll drop into the second, or possibly even third round for us and be a low risk-high reward proposition. He's who I'd probably draft in the second and I'd look for a QB, OT, ILB, or CB with that first rounder.

I also like Brian Price from UCLA in the second, Allen Bailey from Miami, and possibly Marvin Austin and Steven Paea. Austin not as much as the others. Terrence Cody could be interesting as a two down 2 technique type of player who could play two gap defense if we wanted him to. Alualu might have played himself out of our draft range. There is also something that bothers me about Jared Odrick. Dan Williams from TN has also been on fire and he could be an interesting choice in the second. I also liked what I saw from D'Anthony Smith from Louisiana Tech the one time I watched him play.

Art Jones is my new favorite out of the group though. I would love to draft him in the second this year and Allen Bailey in the second in 2011. Allen, Art, and Albert would be unblockable. Versatile enough to play every type of defense and talented enough to give us an elite tandem for nearly every single snap. Any back 7 we threw out there would be able to flourish behind that line.

I think Chris Neild from WVU would a solid addition we could grab with a lower round draft pick. On running plays, he almost always chipped or doubled down on.

What do you Big East guys and anyone who has seen Neild play think of this idea? If we were to grab one in the draft.

you guys make me chuckl draft another DT with all that money tied up in Orakpo, Haynesworth, and Carter? Sorry, we have more important needs this year than DT. We need Oline help somewhere. Hopefully.

This is exactly the type of thinking, say around 2006, that got us into this situation with the offensive line.

It depends on what type of defensive scheme they play. I hate this gap control crap Blache has going on. So essentially, they play the run first.

But if the DC next year has a more conventional 4-3 where they are rushing the passer, then it is important to have a guy with Jarmon's size to play the right side. :2cents:

I played football and I coached - on offense to be fair. Every defensive scheme I ever saw run or coached against was a gap control defense. Some are one gap 9which is what we mainly run) some are 2 gap. But they are all based on gap control. All of them.

So what is this conventional 4-3 of which you speak in which all the D'lineman seak to get penetration and pressure the QB every down? You would get eaten alive with traps and counters if all your D'lineman did was pin back their ears and try to get to the QB.

As for Jarmon you typically want your RDE to be your best pass rusher as its the blind side of a right handed QB. That would be Orakpo or Carter for us. Your LDE is more of run control guy and a pass rusher secondly and is typically a bit bigger than your RDE. Jarmon is more of prototype LDE.

The Golston thought is a little bit Cerrato-esque. It's the way of thinking that says we should dump a Pierce or a Clark and replace them with a superstar. Not every position needs an all pro. In fact, it's a good thing to have high effort, blue collar guys mixed in.

Don't worry, this team is not in danger of becoming too talented.

The goal here is to use the draft, not FA to fill the need. And then of course the goal within that is to find high character guys with a high level of talent, who are also a good schematic fit. This is something that can be done.

Golston is a career backup. If we can add a guy with explosion in Rd 3 like a Tyson Alualu or a Vince Oghobaase, we could have a dominant DLine.

That would be great...only the Skins don't have a 3rd rd pick...it was used to take Jarmon in the supplemental draft. And for those who haven't heard yet, apparently the draft will start on a thursday next year with Rd 1, Rd's 2-3 on friday, and 4-7 starting saturday morning.

So, the Skins have 2 picks in the first 2 days...followed by a 4th, 5th, and 7th on saturday.

With the season Andre Carter is having coupled with his no-trade clause, it looks like he is going to start at DE again next year. I think Orakpo can probably handle strongside DE duties next year. He is already 265 and he could probably add some more weight. For comparison, Victor Abiamiri, the Eagles' strongside end is about 270.

This presents a situation as we definitely need to get Jarmon some playing time. I remember Blache saying that Jarmon had the potential to add another 15-20 pounds to his frame and be a hybrid DT/DE. Should we have him do this and start him at DT next to Haynesworth to get him on the field?

Orakpo is playing SAM/DE this year and he's doing a good job.

If he was gonna play DE in Blache's scheme it would have to be on the RDE.

Blache prefers much bigger stronger LDE almost like at light DT.

Hmm that sounds alot like Jarmon.

Jarmon is not a 1st down or 2nd down DT he's a DE.

It make more sense to me to play Jarmon at LDE and keep Orkapo as a SAM/DE.

I played football and I coached - on offense to be fair. Every defensive scheme I ever saw run or coached against was a gap control defense. Some are one gap 9which is what we mainly run) some are 2 gap. But they are all based on gap control. All of them.

So what is this conventional 4-3 of which you speak in which all the D'lineman seak to get penetration and pressure the QB every down? You would get eaten alive with traps and counters if all your D'lineman did was pin back their ears and try to get to the QB.

As for Jarmon you typically want your RDE to be your best pass rusher as its the blind side of a right handed QB. That would be Orakpo or Carter for us. Your LDE is more of run control guy and a pass rusher secondly and is typically a bit bigger than your RDE. Jarmon is more of prototype LDE.

I actually did mean RDE, replacing Daniels...my mistake.

Blache's scheme is MUCH more designed to play gap control that it is to get penetration. It is set up for LB's to make plays. So when I refer to a "more conventional" 4-3 defense, I am refering to one that is not designed to specfically play the run.

Kdawg explains it the best.

Archived