Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo Compared to other DE's drafted in the first round 09

W1N_SKINS

I wonder how Orakpo would fair without Haynesworth. I don't mean to take anything away from him because I really do like Orakpo... but compare Carter's numbers between this and last years.

Orakpo's the man but Haynesworth is the bigger one IMO.

I would say that AH is contributing more to our pass def having such a good record so far, if they need to put an extra lineman in the box instead of having an extra receiver out there, it definitely improves our matchups in the 2ndary. rak is still going one on one vs a vet and apparantly beating them more often than not.

Brian Orakpo and Jeremy Jarmon are two great picks. These 2 DEs are going to serve the Skins for a long long time.

I also have faith that Devin Thomas, Malcom Kelly, Marko Mitchell, and Fred Davis will help the Skins impotent passing game.

How about the first rd DE's taken last year?

Long isn't starting for the RAMS.

Derrick Harvey hasn't done much.

Lawrence Jackson has been pretty solid.

tackles        sacks
Chris Long               28              2
Derrick Harvey           22              0
Lawrence Jackson         18              4
Kentwan Balmer           9               0
Phillip Merling          19             1.5
Calais Campbell          29             3.5
Quentin Groves           17              0
Kendall Langford         23              1
Cliff Avril              18             2.5
William Hayes            30              4
Kroy Bierman             22              4
Marcus Howard            14             1.5
Trevor Scott             18              2

Orakpo has more tackles and sacks then an DE taken in the last 2 years. That's pretty special.

tackles        sacks
Chris Long               28              2
Derrick Harvey           22              0
Lawrence Jackson         18              4
Kentwan Balmer           9               0
Phillip Merling          19             1.5
Calais Campbell          29             3.5
Quentin Groves           17              0
Kendall Langford         23              1
Cliff Avril              18             2.5
William Hayes            30              4
Kroy Bierman             22              4
Marcus Howard            14             1.5
Trevor Scott             18              2

Orakpo has more tackles and sacks then an DE taken in the last 2 years. That's pretty special.

thanks for that i was about to look that up saved me some time but yeah orakpo does benefit from haynesworth but that does not take away from his natural ability the man is a physical specimen

I wouldn't give Vinny too much credit. Its not like Orakpo was some diamond in the rough. I can't remember who, but one NFL guy said he would've taken Orakpo with the #1 pick. So its not like people were thinking Orakpo wasn't going to be good. Finding talent in the 1st round hasn't been the problem, its been finding players in later rounds that Vinny sucks at.

I wouldn't give Vinny too much credit. Its not like Orakpo was some diamond in the rough. I can't remember who, but one NFL guy said he would've taken Orakpo with the #1 pick. So its not like people were thinking Orakpo wasn't going to be good. Finding talent in the 1st round hasn't been the problem, its been finding players in later rounds that Vinny sucks at.

On the other hand, 12 guys passed on him and there were a boatload of people screaming "Oher" or "Trade up for Sanchez" or "Trade down for picks!" So, he deserves a wee bit of credit (or perhaps the fans at Fed Ex do for screaming his name from the start of the draft and pressuring the FO)

On the other hand, 12 guys passed on him and there were a boatload of people screaming "Oher" or "Trade up for Sanchez" or "Trade down for picks!" So, he deserves a wee bit of credit (or perhaps the fans at Fed Ex do for screaming his name from the start of the draft and pressuring the FO)

I mean of course he deserves some credit for pulling the trigger and drafting him. But, like you said, most of the fans were screaming for him and it was almost a no brainer. Until he can start hitting on players in the later rounds, then I'll give him more credit. You can't have a team full of 1st rounders.

Burgold, that sounds like the FO listening to the fanbase rather than going with their gut instincts. :D

Burgold, that sounds like the FO listening to the fanbase rather than going with their gut instincts. :D

Well, given their track record it's about time they listened to someone other than themselves. Hell, everyone knows we fans get it right 100% of the time!

I was thinking Byrd will probably win it, too, but Orakpo's had more of an impact.

i think Byrd has had more of an impact than Orakpo. the guy has 8 interceptions and wasnt even a full time player or starter till recently. Byrd has more interceptions than our entire team...

i think Byrd has had more of an impact than Orakpo. the guy has 8 interceptions and wasnt even a full time player or starter till recently. Byrd has more interceptions than our entire team...

ah damn i forgot about byrd. yeah, if he keeps this up he'll win over orakpo which is a shame. unless orakpo puts up like 14 sacks and breaks Kearses record.

Stanley Richard had 5 INTs for the Chargers before we signed him... He turned out to be the worst starter we've ever had on defense.

My point is, stats can be misleading. INTs off of tips happen... it's luck, but he is a rookie and they probably throw on him more often. If they don't purposely throw to his side, he'll probably have less INTs...

I must admit orakpo was a gift at 13 the chiefs took tyson jackson at 3 and the bills took aaron maybin at 11 we got Orakpo at 13 Broncos took Robert Ayers at 18 and the Steelers took Ziggy hood at 32

So far 9 games into the season

Maybin 6 tackles 0 sacks

Jackson 13 tackles 0 sacks

Orakpo 32 tackles 7 sacks

Ayers 12 tackles 0 sacks

Hood 3 tackles 0 sacks

Looks like vinny got something right!

He looks lost at LB and that is what Vinny drafted him for. We should line him at DE more, and look to add a true strong side LB next season... He may not be an every down DE, but he will be effective against the pass when he rushes...

Archived