Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo Compared to other DE's drafted in the first round 09

W1N_SKINS

It was a no brainer to take Rak once he fell to us.

Thank you for the most "Obvious Response" today. The "Rak" falling to 13 was the true test from the Football Gods to see if Vinny was really that stupid, and he passed. But that just brings his draft grade up to a F-.:dallasuck

read some Bills forum threads, and those fans are frustrated that Maybin is constantly being overwhelmed at the LOS by Tackles.

i do think that, while Orakpo is a born DE, the skins have done a decent job at keeping him at LB while not overexposing him in coverage. Blache needs to go, but he has done that well.

if you told me we would put a rookie DE at LBer, id sure as hell expect a lot more damage than has come so far.

add in the 7 sacks, and my opinion of putting Orakpo at DE is slowly turning.

when he does put his hand in the dirt, he is a change of pace that no LT is ready for. hell, Ryan Clady is one of the absolute best LTs in the gamne, and he was overwlemed by the change of pace that Orakpo provided.

I don't recall Orakpo really making any plays against Clady. Didn't Rak get both of his sacks coming up the middle? I know Carter beat Clady for his last sack.

Question for some of you.. Lets say there is a huge DT available in the draft that is the size of haynesworth available in the draft.. Would you draft him and then we can have our version of sam adams and goose like the 2000 ravens? Our defensive ends could put up 10-15 sacks a piece then

I would consider taking a shot with Suh in the first, Terrence Cody in the second, or Dan Williams in the second or third.

Suh is really a special talent and would make our defense indomitable. Honestly, if we could package Rogers, Moss and our 4th rounder I'd move up and take him. He's the #1 prospect in this draft and is much better than any O-line prospects this year. You could go with O-line in the second, and next year looks to be very good for QB's.

If 70% of this board were GM we wouldn't have Rak, or our #1 next season etc. We would instead be stuck with Cutler or Sanchez.... Good job Vinny!

We dont have Cutler... is because Denver wanted Orton over JC

We dont have Sanchez... is because the Jets jumped us to get him...

If both those things didnt happen, you better believe Vinny/Snyder would do the same thing

If 70% of this board were GM we wouldn't have Rak, or our #1 next season etc. We would instead be stuck with Cutler or Sanchez.... Good job Vinny!

Good job Vinny? They WERE going after Cutler and Sanchez. The Bears and Jets just made better offers. Hell, they also went after Ochocinco for two first-rounders.

I wish that people wouldn't give credit where it's not due.

It's probably that the starters are good in there own right, thus Hood's low production can be ambiguously interpreted as Hood not being good or just a casualty of the depth chart, in which the latter is far more likely what is really going on.

Yeah, but that's the point. If he were that good, then he'd be an impact player immediately like Orakpo. The comparison is still valid.

Question for some of you.. Lets say there is a huge DT available in the draft that is the size of haynesworth available in the draft.. Would you draft him and then we can have our version of sam adams and goose like the 2000 ravens? Our defensive ends could put up 10-15 sacks a piece then

If he's the best player available then you take him. The next best option would be to trade down. The Skins aren't going to fix all of their problems in one offseason. You can only take what the draft gives you.

vinny should get no credit for this pick at all. Blache probably had him tied up and sedated to keep him from making a call in for a punter or TE. Orakpo at 13 was a no brainer the only other player the Skins would have even thought of taking at 13 at that point was Oher.

Looks like vinny got something right!

It really was a no-brainer, at least to me. You either take Orakpo or Oher. Rak was rated higher so he was the pick. I just CAN'T give Vinny any credit when a blind monkey could have made that pick.

I must admit orakpo was a gift at 13 the chiefs took tyson jackson at 3 and the bills took aaron maybin at 11 we got Orakpo at 13 Broncos took Robert Ayers at 18 and the Steelers took Ziggy hood at 32

So far 9 games into the season

Maybin 6 tackles 0 sacks

Jackson 13 tackles 0 sacks

Orakpo 32 tackles 7 sacks

Ayers 12 tackles 0 sacks

Hood 3 tackles 0 sacks

:cheers::cheers::cheers: for many years of great play from Orakpo bright spot of the season in my opinion

Outside of Buffalo, the others play a 3-4, so you cant compare. A 3-4 end isnt the pass rushers or the tacklers, they are there to eat up blockers and let the LBS do that stuff. Anything you do get is a bonus.

I must admit orakpo was a gift at 13 the chiefs took tyson jackson at 3 and the bills took aaron maybin at 11 we got Orakpo at 13 Broncos took Robert Ayers at 18 and the Steelers took Ziggy hood at 32

So far 9 games into the season

Maybin 6 tackles 0 sacks

Jackson 13 tackles 0 sacks

Orakpo 32 tackles 7 sacks

Ayers 12 tackles 0 sacks

Hood 3 tackles 0 sacks

:cheers::cheers::cheers: for many years of great play from Orakpo bright spot of the season in my opinion

Yeah it's about the only thing Vinny has gotten right, and my neighbor's dog would have known to draft Rak. Too bad Vinny was asleep at the wheel in 05 when he took Los over DeMarcus Ware and again in 07 when he took LL over both APete & Patrick Willis. :rolleyes

Archived