Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo Compared to other DE's drafted in the first round 09

W1N_SKINS

7 tackles, 1 forced fumble.... not bad considering he is a 3rd round suplimental draft pick. Compares to the 1st round picks this year

Jarmon doesn't play that much either.

Let's compare Orakpo to other LBs... the only time he's effective is when he's rushing, but he's more often playing back at LB than rush end.

Buffalo must be kicking themselves. I guess they failed with too many texas players in the past.

I am even more happy seeing those stats

not really. Their rookie safety Jarius Byrd has a league leading 8 interceptions. Granted he wasn't a first round pick but still.

Him and Orakpo are the easy top 2 options for DROY thus far.

It's difficult to compare them because:

Ziggy and Jackson play 3-4 DE, normaly does don't get a lot of sacks and or stats.

Maybin and Ayers should be sack specalists but they just don't get them.

We only look at stats, stats don't tell the hole story.

Orakpo looks great, but I also like the way Jackson is playing....beside that the other DEs/OLBs didn't impress me. At this point I would even consider picking Jarmon instead Maybin, Ayers or Ziggy. By the way, I love Jarmon....he has a good combination of speed and strenght.

Love the thread, and am really enjoying watching Orakpo be good right from the start. That seems to happen so rarely with our picks.

However, at this point, I'd say he has no shot at DROY. That Jairus Byrd kid from Buffalo has 8 interceptions already, leading the entire NFL. I'd say he has the award on lockdown at this point, if he duplicates even a fraction of that success during the second half of the season.

We need to get another dt so he can learn from haynesworth and well another lb hopefully mcClain. What scares me is that fletcher is getting older and I don't want the same situation happening to him as it did with samuels. Plus what better way for a rookie lb than to have a mentor in fletcher!!!!

great thread....we ***** and moan when we dont get something right and if other guys selected after our pick have more production. Im really glad some people notice that things do go our way sometimes and im glad some people on here can point out the positives.

I agree with this they hit a home run with Rak regardless of the circumstances and they should be applauded for it. He really is a very exciting player and I expect we'll be appreciating him for years to come!

Wait, where's all the hate now for the fact we took less than 20 seconds to make this decision when our pick came? I wasn't the least bit upset we turned our pick in so early, Orakpo was my number one choice in that draft and the longer he stayed on the board, the closer we got to our pick, the more excited I got, I could not believe no one took him.

Sunday he got one, from up the middle, rushing as a blitzing LB.

Part of being a LB is playing against the run and coverage.

He's only been effective rushing... He has looked lost at times at LB... He'll get better and more comfortable, but right now, he's no Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing at LB.

Wait, where's all the hate now for the fact we took less than 20 seconds to make this decision when our pick came? I wasn't the least bit upset we turned our pick in so early, Orakpo was my number one choice in that draft and the longer he stayed on the board, the closer we got to our pick, the more excited I got, I could not believe no one took him.

Yeah I didn't really care either. If a trade is to be made you probably know ahead of time. It's not like you're gunna get Peyton Manning for that pick.

Part of being a LB is playing against the run and coverage.

He's only been effective rushing... He has looked lost at times at LB... He'll get better and more comfortable, but right now, he's no Clay Matthews or Brian Cushing at LB.

I agree, I'm just trying to find out how he has done at LB and what the break down of sacks from position is.

Sunday he got one, from up the middle, rushing as a blitzing LB.

4 people rushed, he was one of them and looked like he was a DL... not sure if you can call him a "blitzing LB" He just rushed up the middle... in a known pass play on the FINAL play of the game... like I said, he's best rushing... sometimes DE's come up the middle... or line up inside to generate a better pass rush in a known passing play.

check 4:27 of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw3aaKjjGU

I agree, I'm just trying to find out how he has done at LB and what the break down of sacks from position is.

He definitely doesn't stay as active as London Fletcher with his feet constantly moving... his reads aren't there yet...

As a DE rushing on a known passing play... he's great and we need him in there doing that.

4 people rushed, he was one of them... not sure if you can call him a "blitzing LB" He just rushed up the middle... in a known pass play on the FINAL play of the game... like I said, he's best rushing... sometimes DE's come up the middle... or line up inside to generate a better pass rush in a known passing play.

check 4:27 of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw3aaKjjGU

Looked like he got that sack from the LB position. That's all I'm asking.

He definitely doesn't stay as active as London Fletcher with his feet constantly moving... his reads aren't there yet...

As a DE rushing on a known passing play... he's great and we need him in there doing that.

He is having success rushing from the LB spot and AC is having success rushing from the end, and WE are having success when they are both doing that at the same time.

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Oh yeah, who would that be? Carlos Rogers? Laron Landry? Sean Taylor? Thats 1 Pro Bowler out of 3. Orakpo seems to be on his way, but that still only makes 50%, and all of their picks on these guys have been very high, so I wouldn't say thay have done all that well.

Rogers is on his way out and Landry is playing his way out.

what kind of moron puts Sean Taylor on this list?

Sean Taylor was one of the best, if not the best defensive player in the league the year he died.

Go be a Cowboy fan!

what kind of moron puts Sean Taylor on this list?

Sean Taylor was one of the best, if not the best defensive player in the league the year he died.

Go be a Cowboy fan!

He was listing the top defensive picks by the skins...hence why ST was on the list. :chair:

You are telling the wrong person to be a Cowboys fan.

Archived