Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: Jon Stewart Catches Sean Hannity Falsifying Footage...

AsburySkinsFan

I'm no Hannity fan, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a case of his production people being too lazy to use real footage and him not noticing. There's no reason to think the apology wasn't sincere.

My personal belief is that his people above him thought, "we got caught." Let's tell Sean to be sorry and we'll move on.

Whether Sean knew anything about this, I would probably 4bet that he didn't.

I guess this is kind of related, but still cool nonetheless.

Most famous photo tampering

Pretty cool.

I do think that site needs to better distinguish between conceptual art and purposeful attempts to mislead. As the production manager of a magazine I create conceptual art from multiple photos all the time. It's a widely accepted practice. And reworking color/contrast to make a photo sharper/less muddy is also very common.

For example, I would consider showing Reagan with a tear on his face, or OJ with darker shadows around him as concept art, and not to be taken literally. Putting Oprah's head on Ann-Margret's body is tampering.

Would Dan Rather have been forced out for this type of story? I sort of kid.

He was forced out.

For less.

No one has ever accused Dan Rather, or CBS, of forging that famous document themselves. Whereas the only people who could have pulled historic video out of Fox's archives, and inserted it into Fox's news story, was Fox.

I'm no Hannity fan, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a case of his production people being too lazy to use real footage and him not noticing. There's no reason to think the apology wasn't sincere.

Oh, agreed. The "crime" was committed by Fox. Couldn't have been done by anybody else. But that doesn't in any way mean that Hannity, personally, was even aware of it.

Not sure if anyone cares at this point, but Hannity has apologized and said that Stewart was right - and that it was an inadvertent mistake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bzYL2kAiU&feature=player_embedded

I just read this report on another site and laughed, I immediately wondered if we might also expect similar retractions from the forum members who defended Hannity so vigorously.

FWIW, I watched Rachel Maddow 3 times last week-although not the entire show. All three times I watched she was apologizing for reporting wrong information.

I agree that the video footage was wrong, but I don't see a malicious intent to mis inform. I accept Rachel Maddow's apology when she screws up (not just last week, she has several other times in the past). So why not accept Hannity's apology for the wrong video? I have caught Olberman doing the same thing, and yet John Stewart hasn't poked fun at their mistakes, that I'm aware of.

When someone at Fox makes a mistake, or a Republican says something stupid you guys on here are so quick to flip out and go off the deep end. But the minute anyone points out an error by a Democrat, or "liberal" media there is always a ton of excuses as to why it was ok. Typical double standard imo.

Considering that the footage had to be in a digital bank of video clips that would be meticulously labeled and that the package/project would be highly monitored/produced, just as every other millisecond of television you watch is, its pretty silly to contend that it was a mistake.

Also, my favorite from that batch of doctored pictures: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/farid/research/digitaltampering/foxnews1.jpg

You may be stunned by that, but I was recently told by a mod that they prefer to have a new thread for each new topic rather than a continual thread where you have to search for the latest update. As such don't blame us for the number of "Fox is lying again" threads, blame Fox for their lying.

There is a difference between an error and an intentional manipulation of information...i.e. a lie. If you are looking for integrity they you should be joining us in the call against Fox instead of defending them. They will never get better until their viewers call them to task.

So what you are saying is conservatives lie, and liberals mispeak.

FWIW, I watched Rachel Maddow 3 times last week-although not the entire show. All three times I watched she was apologizing for reporting wrong information.

I agree that the video footage was wrong, but I don't see a malicious intent to mis inform. I accept Rachel Maddow's apology when she screws up (not just last week, she has several other times in the past). So why not accept Hannity's apology for the wrong video? I have caught Olberman doing the same thing, and yet John Stewart hasn't poked fun at their mistakes, that I'm aware of.

When someone at Fox makes a mistake, or a Republican says something stupid you guys on here are so quick to flip out and go off the deep end. But the minute anyone points out an error by a Democrat, or "liberal" media there is always a ton of excuses as to why it was ok. Typical double standard imo.

I translate his apology as "I'm sorry we got caught."

But I'm biased as hell. :D

Pretty much.

I'd also add that his was a...

Shoot the boss is mad at me time for a CYA apology.

Which I think is an encouraging thing. I want Hannity's bosses to not tolerate deceit and to raise themselves to a higher standard. FOX is now to big and important to act like they sometimes still do. They are a trusted mainstream voice to a fairly large segment of the population. They have a duty to their listeners to deliver an honest and fair product.

Pretty much.

I'd also add that his was a...

Shoot the boss is mad at me time for a CYA apology.

Which I think is an encouraging thing. I want Hannity's bosses to not tolerate deceit and to raise themselves to a higher standard. FOX is now to big and important to act like they sometimes still do. They are a trusted mainstream voice to a fairly large segment of the population. They have a duty to their listeners to deliver an honest and fair product.

Actually, it would not surprise me if Hannity himself did not know. But his producers certainly did.

Meh. This is just part and parcel of the Fox game. It's just like Glenn Beck telling all his viewers that there were 1.7 million people at the big Tea Party event, when there could not have been much more than 100,000. Then Beck said he got that figure from a "university study of the photos," but never named the university.

I do have to give credit to Hannity for apologizing. Beck just threw his laugher out and stuck with it, and his followers continue to believe to this day that they had almost 2 million people protesting on the Mall and that everyone who disagrees is deliberately lying to them.

That's what's so scary about this stuff. The target audience not only believes what Fox feeds them all day long, but they deliberately refuse to consider any other mainstream source of information for fear of media bias. It leaves a huge segment of the Americna population grossly misinformed and living in an alternately reality.

I hear that Spring classes are enrolling now at local community colleges, I'm sure that one of them surely must offer a reading comprehension course for you. I wouldn't pay more than about $200 a credit hour though. Good luck.

Ahh the good ole liberal tactics, foam and the mouth and insult without addressing things.

Funny thing is people are so up in arms about this. I am not even sure why people even call these programs news programs or media. They are opinion shows. Newsflash....people lie to get their opinions across. Liberals do it, conservatives do it. Fox news got caught today, CNN will get caught tommorrow and MSNBC will get caught next week. These programs are not influencing people like many of you think they are, they are confirming viewpoints that people who watch them already have and are not going to change.

I translate his apology as "I'm sorry we got caught."

But I'm biased as hell. :D

at least you're honest about it...pun intended:silly:

That's what's so scary about this stuff. The target audience not only believes what Fox feeds them all day long, but they deliberately refuse to consider any other mainstream source of information for fear of media bias. It leaves a huge segment of the Americna population grossly misinformed and living in an alternately reality.

I don't believe that part. I watch Fox regularly,but I also catch MSNBC and CNN as much as possible. I take each with a grain of salt, as I understand everyone has bias. But I'm also used to stories reported that are not all accurate (posted in other thread about my LE days and how the newspaper would print stories I was involved in, and it was almost nothing like what really went down.) so imo, all of them have biases, all of them tell partial truths. The only one I put in a higher regard is OReilly. Its because I hear him give props to both sides, and calls out both sides. I laugh when people call him conservative or Republican, the guy is more middle of the road politically than anyone else I watch on TV. But I also know he has exaggerated some things.

like I wrote in the "media lies" thread- I think many time the stories are not all accurate, but I don't believe most are intentionally lying- people are human and make mistakes, as well as spinning a story to fit their side- regardless of what side that is.

I agree that the video footage was wrong, but I don't see a malicious intent to mis inform.

I'm certain that any minute, now, you'll be able to come up with an explanation for how Fox, while producing a piece who's entire these was "gee, look at how many people there are"*, accidentally went into the video archives, pulled up footage of a two month old event, and inserted that video into their news piece, at the exact time when the host was commenting on how big the crowd was.

* (Well, that and "And this rally, which was announced nationwide on this TV show a week ago, was completely spontaneous and completely word of mouth.")

(Sorry. I'm not picking on you. Just on the idea that this could possibly have been an accident.)

I would say that the potential malice in it is that they seem to be trying to create a world view, whereas in the news you are simply supposed to provide a window. If they are attempting to create a world view and they will distort to do so, then it is a dangerous thing.

I don't believe that part. I watch Fox regularly,but I also catch MSNBC and CNN as much as possible. I take each with a grain of salt, as I understand everyone has bias. But I'm also used to stories reported that are not all accurate (posted in other thread about my LE days and how the newspaper would print stories I was involved in, and it was almost nothing like what really went down.) so imo, all of them have biases, all of them tell partial truths.

For whatever it is worth, I do not consider you to be a member of Fox's "target audience" in the sense in which I was speaking. You are conservative, but you are also openminded. You do not want to be told what to think.

The target audience I am talking about is the millions of people who go to Fox and Rush everyday to hear their basic beliefs reconfirmed, and who actively resist questioning any of those beliefs. It is ok to lie to them - they really don't care. Just tell them that they are correct, that they are the good guys, that other people are the bad guys. That's all they want.

And yes, yes, the left has people like that too, blah blah blah.

Archived