Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training camp recaps.

Art

Guys who are venturing out to Ashburn to watch camp need to make sure you visit here as soon as you get back to post all your observations. With hope any number of you will be going to camp and will be able to post stuff.

This is when the real posting season begins and I know I can't wait to read whatever those of you who will be up close and personal at camp have to say.

For convenience sake, here is a list of the camp schedule:

Redskins Training Camp 2003 Schedule

All practice times are subject to change.

Monday, July 28

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Tuesday, July 29

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Wednesday, July 30

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Thursday, July 31

9 a.m. practice

Friday, August 1

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Saturday, August 2--Fan Appreciation Day

9 a.m. practice

12:30 p.m.--Fan Day Festivities Begin (More details coming soon.)

4 p.m. practice

Sunday, August 3

4 p.m. practice

Monday, August 4

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Tuesday, August 5

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Wednesday, August 6

9 a.m. practice

Thursday, August 7

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Friday, August 8

Travel to Carolina

Saturday, August 9

Redskins at Panthers, 8 p.m.

Monday, August 11

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Tuesday, August 12

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

Wednesday, August 13

9 a.m. practice

Thursday, August 14

9 a.m. practice

4 p.m. practice

**BREAK CAMP**

One of the things I love most about training camp is that you get news from fans who've been to training camp. You don't have to rely on reporters who may have some agenda (if they're from the Post, they try to be overly optimistic - the Times takes the opposite tack).

I remember my first camp and comparing what I observed with what the media reported and was surprised at the differences in our interpretations. Also, it was obvious to me that no single reporter can watch everything that's going on - there's usually 3 different groups out there in drills.

To be perfectly honest, I'd prefer to read training camp accounts from our board members rather than rely on the media to 'interpret' it for us.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

Also, it was obvious to me that no single reporter can watch everything that's going on - there's usually 3 different groups out there in drills.

If the couple of days I spent last summer down next to the field with the press corps in Carlisle are any indication, very few pay much attention at all to what's going on. They're all down there socializing, trying to land freelance jobs, get on TV and the like. Somebody makes a diving interception and they all snap to, trying to find out who made the pick and who threw the ball from one of their compatriots who was actually watching what took place.

Joe White of the AP generally pays attention, as do Paul Woody and John Keim. But if guys like Maske or Ducibella ever pass along something that happened on the field at practice, they either caught it by accident or got it from White.

They should just write what they see. Do a play by play as best they can. I tried last year to give a play by play in my report. It is hard to write down everything and watch the whole field for every snap. If you focus on the line you may miss the coverage skills of the db's etc. I know I would do a much better job if I could write in shorthand.

The Mrs. Isn't going to let me go down for a whole weekend like I wanted to since we are going to hog fest and I spent a small fortune on our tickets.;) But I am going to take a day off from work and go down and spend one night and stay for the next day and drive back. I am hoping to go down this friday. Last year I borrowed a camera and the damn thing was broke.:mad: This year I have a digital cam so when I get back I can post my pics.:cheers:

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Monday July 28th- Morning Practice

I ventured out to Redskins park today and noticed a good practice, not a great one, but a good practice.

Offense:

For about the first 30 minutes I observed the offense. I was focused on the qb and wr's drill. A few things that impressed me were Ramsey, Johnson and Hammand had big arms. Real nice crisp throws. Banks had some decent throws also. The WR's were also catching the ball nicely which looked good. However Patrick Johnson was definitley struggling a bit all day during WR drills and 7 on 7's.

Ramsey's footwork has definitley improved. In 11 on 11 he was moving in the pocket well but was still struggling to find people. Hammand looked awkward with his feet, still has work to do, but I was real impressed by him. He seemed confident, made good throws and really looked like he was having a good time.

Defense

I also went over and watched the D a bit. Lavar is definitley gonna be a monster this year. He is the leader of that defense. Champ looked real sharp and shut down the "lesser recievers" and was looking real good in general. Fred Smoot looked bigger and of course was yappin it up.

In the 11 on 11 one thing I noticed was the dline got pressure on Ramsey. He was forced to move in the pocket and make some bad throws because of the pressure. Mabey there is something there without Big Daddy being present. Bruce Smith sat out this practice but was there working with the Dline.

The secondary looked real good. In the drills everyone was sharp and pretty well on target. They stopped the offense in 7 on 7's and Ramsey really had nowhere to throw in 11 on 11's.

Special Teams:

The team worked on punting while I was there. However I only paid attention to the gunner drills. However I believe Barker was booming some nice punts. There were a few very nice booms while the team was working on punting. Mabey someone will emerge, I just am not sure who it was.

People that impressed me:

Patrick Ramsey- He looked poised, his arm was sharp and his footwork improved. However I do believe he threw a pick because really the WR's were getting smothered in the 11 on 11's. He did weave to nice passes, one real nice one to Taylor Jacobs and another sweet one between 2 defenders to Gardner.

Gibran Hammand- I really like this kid. He has a good arm and looks like he is picking up on things quickly. Big guy, and he was definitley soaking it up, signing autographs and having a real good time.

Cliff Russel- If he tore his ACL it was tough to see. The kid was catching the ball real well and running real well. He could have a solid year for us.

Champ- Champ was Champ shutting down basically everyone. Ramsey could not throw to Coles when Champ was on him. He looked real good and a bit bigger.

Lavar Arrington- This man is the leader of that D and you could hear him talking it up. I really think he will have another monster year.

People I didn't like-

Patrick Johnson- He struggled in the morning practice. Dropped some balls, slipped some and just didn't seem all there. He is gonna have to improve if he wants to stick around.

Zeron Flemister- He also didn't have a great practice. Went offsides once, dropped a ball and looked like he hasn't done much to improve himself.

The O-line- Ramsey had a little too much pressure on him during 11 on 11's. It is still early and usually D-line man are able to pick up things quickly but they need to improve.

Overall: A typical first practice type. Some things were there some things were not and the players just gotta get used to hitting and being in pads. Things were definitley real organized, players moved quickly and a lot was going on. The expierence was a lot of fun, got to be up close on the defensive side of the field, people were friendly, and of course Dan was out there in a power tie watching his empire.

Awesome report! Thanks!

Question:

Maybe there is something there without Big Daddy being present.

BDW wasn't there? I read that they might hold him out of practice until he can get a new contract so in case he gets hurt, they aren't stuck with the $$. His alternate representation will not be able to continue talks until Friday though. Anyone know if this is the case?

EDIT - ________________________________

I'll answer my own question in case anyone else was wondering...

Wilkinson Sits Out Practice While Weighing Pay Cut

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, July 28, 2003; 11:26 AM

The Washington Redskins decided to withhold veteran defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson from this morning's opening practice of training camp at Redskins Park, and hoped to know by this afternoon whether he will be willing to accept a pay cut.

Redskins officials hoped that Wilkinson's new agent, Brig Owens, would be free to negotiate with them on Wilkinson's behalf by midday. Owens was waiting to receive clearance from the NFL Players Association. Originally, Owens had told the Redskins he could not negotiate for Wilkinson until Friday because of the rules governing the conduct of agents. Wilkinson switched agents, from George Mavrikes to Owens, on Saturday.

Club officials met Sunday night -- after Wilkinson reported to camp on time, as he'd promised the Redskins on Saturday that he would do -- to discuss Wilkinson's future. The team has told him to reduce his club-high $3.5 million salary or risk being cut. Mavrikes and Wilkinson had refused. The Redskins have offered Wilkinson a chance to recoup any lost income through incentives based on playing time. The Redskins don't feel that Wilkinson's production last season, when he had a career-low 17 tackles, warrants his hefty salary.

If Wilkinson practices and gets hurt, the Redskins would be prohibited by NFL rules from releasing him without a financial settlement.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56609-2003Jul28.html

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Hey Todd it wasn't bad. Since I run my own business I basically set my own hours and practice was done at 11. Plenty of time to get back and wet some people's football appetite. I just hope we can continue with posting re-caps in this thread. Best idea EVER

Archived