Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training camp recaps.

Art

None of the QBs really stood out in these pattern drills. Ramsey, Hamden, and Johnson definitely have strong arms, and all of them overthrew guys on deep outs several times.

Absolutely true, Ramsey really worried me on a few throws today. His release point looked too high, but that's a mechanics error and can be worked out. Johnson, more than I thought he overthrew, forced a couple today, one that should've been picked at the end of practice (by #51) and a couple other that were knocked down by Terrell.

Blade, did you see anything special out of Matt Bowen? Everyone said he had a great practice yesterday, but I didn't see much. Maybe I wasn't playing much attention to him, but I donno, he looks average and doesn't look any better than Terrell.

Originally posted by AshburnSkinsFan

Absolutely true, Ramsey really worried me on a few throws today. His release point looked too high, but that's a mechanics error and can be worked out. Johnson, more than I thought he overthrew, forced a couple today, one that should've been picked at the end of practice (by #51) and a couple other that were knocked down by Terrell.

Blade, did you see anything special out of Matt Bowen? Everyone said he had a great practice yesterday, but I didn't see much. Maybe I wasn't playing much attention to him, but I donno, he looks average and doesn't look any better than Terrell.

I agree with you regarding Ramsey... you can tell that he was not real sharp today. He had a very hard time getting completions against the 1st team DBs in the 11 on 11 drills, although he did get two on Smoot at the goal line from the 15yd line.

I didnt see anything great out of Bowen, but I have to admit that I did not get to see much of the D except on the 7v7 and the 11v11 drills.... and nothing really stood out regarding his play today. However, one fella I talked to who was there yesterday had nothing but rave reviews of Bowen. Maybe it was an off day for him?

Johnson had a couple of plays where he got happy feet and threw it away, or held it too long it seemed. He definitely held it longer than PR in many instances. But he did make some excellent throws too... although I agree that Finney should have intercepted that throw.

The good news is that the defense is ahead of the offense at this point in pretty much every training camp, according to ESPN. I think those who are fortunate enough to attend camp will see the offense start to gel in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to all for the great reports so far.

7/29 4pm (continued)

11 on 11 (1st team offense vs 2nd string offense playing defense)

This was an unusual drill to watch because i never expected to see Gibran Hamden playing strong safety... THe second string offense was lined up in various defensive positions for these drills. They threw several 17 yard outs to the TE's and #89 Flemister and #88 Royal made solid catches on this route. Several balls were thrown underneath to the RBs as well. The vast majority of plays were passing plays today, although there were a few draws and handoffs run as well. Since no one is really hitting, its hard to get a feel for how well that is going, but Chad Morton seems to have alot of explosiveness, as does Trung Candidate.

11 on 11 Offense vs Defense

It was impressive to see the first team defense consistently shut down the first team offense. However, this seems to be the norm at this point of Camp. It should be noted that David Terrell made a very nice play knocking down one ball, and Bauman made another play tipping away a pass to #82. Once the second string defense came in, Rod Gardner consistently lit up whichever DB was on him. He and #80 L. Coles were consistently catching balls everywhere. Also, there were many completions made underneath the LBs to WRs, TE, and RBs, but its hard to tell just how much of a gain it would have been for since there was very little hitting. The LBs were right there after the reception though, so its hard to imagine that the receivers would have gone very far if Lavar, Trotter, or Armstead were hitting for real. One play that stood out was a second-stringer against second-stringer... #84 P. Johnson makes a catch on a short-out just as DB #34 Lott gets there, and Lott was fighting him for the ball all the way to the ground. Nice hustle. Other second-stringer plays of note were a completion by Rob Johnson to #83 Richmond Flowers on a crossing route that RJ timed perfectly.... also, #13 solidly beat a double-team on a fly-pattern down the left sideline, but RJ overthrew him.

Special Teams practice: PAT kicks & FG kicks

One thing that was VERY encouraging to see was the several different formations of fake field-goals practiced... They even had one formation where they shifted from a FG set, to the punter/holder running under center like a QB, and Jeff Hall running to the strong side as a WR! Even though they didnt snap the ball, it was entertaining to see. Other FG sets practiced involved lining up for a 52 yd kick, and hiking the ball directly to Hall, who would then pooch-punt it consistently to the corner around the 10 yd line. The final note of this session involved gathering the FG team on the sideline, and having them run full speed to the LOS and line up for a 'no-huddle' field goal... practicing for a short clock I suppose. From my angle, it was hard to tell if Hall was hitting his kicks... some seemed close to being slightly wide left... but he never lacked for distance, and never shanked one.

7 on 7 drills

One of the first plays was one of the prettiest.... Coles beats a double-team of Bailey and Terrell on a deep corner route to the left that PR drops in nicely. Great catch. The next play, a WR shifts incorrectly, and you can hear a coach scream, "GET BACK IN THE HUDDLE! You HAVE TO LEARN how to shift right!" Another play of note was a playaction pass from the 5 yd line where #85 D. McCants goes up for the ball in the endzone over the middle, and David Terrell simply muscles the ball away from him and knocks it to the ground. D.Mac makes up for it later by making a nice grab at the 5 yd line on a crossing pattern from the 20.... a definite TD if this was a real game. Also, Coles made another nice play against #25 Bauman on a long corner route for a TD.

As the practice came to a close, there was more action of 11 v 11 and this was mostly 2nd teamers, where Rock Cartwright made a couple of nice catches.. one over the middle which was very similar to the one he made a TD on against the Texans last year, and another on a corner route at the 1 yd line. Its clear that there is alot of work to do on both sides of the ball, but the upgrade in talent at WR and QB is very encouraging!

interesting to read about ashburnskinsfan's post about them already using fiore in the middle with dockery lining up next to samuels (what an image that brings...). i have heard about them moving fiore to C (against his preference), but was surprised to see them doing it so early in camp with the first stringers in there... a sign of things to come?

how often did this happen? what was the % of snaps the O took with Fiore as C or with Moore?

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

Bless you guys for the reports from training camp! It's football...unvarnished, untainted by the media football!

Can you guys answer a few questions?

a) How close to the players can you get at Ashburn?

B) Any autograph opportunities?

c) Is parking a problem?

TC,

I didnt go autograph hunting, but there are several people who do, and they were able to get some of the guys... but its not like Carlisle where you could catch the guys across the street, etc.

The fans are just off the sideline of both practice fields at times... you are just as close to everything as you were at Carlisle.

Parking was VERY VERY easy... they point you to a large field, and its a short walk to the practice facility.

Skeletor,

Since I focused most on the passing drills, I would have to say Rod Gardner impressed me the most. He had excellent arm extension and caught EVERYTHING near him, sometimes over close coverage.

Wednesday July 30th- Morning Practice

There was a good crowd at practice this morning. When we arrived they were all streching and doing calesthenics. Later they did some individual drills and then 11 on 11 drills. Snyder and Sonny were sitting in a golfcart watching the action.

Offense:

Ramsey did not look too sharp in morning practice. He missed his first 5 passes or so , it seemed like he was throwing the ball too hard and into traffic, some were bouncing off the receivers and into the defense . The receivers were well covered, and he was also being pressured in 11 on 11 drills. Bruce Smith came close to sacking him once. He did show a strong arm and good footwork though, he throws a nice deep ball.

Patrick Johnson looked good today, this is the first time I saw him and I don't think he dropped any passes. It seemed like he was thrown to at least five or six times...

Chad Morton looked great. He was cutting well, very quick, good footwork, looks like he will be an impact player. He will definately add another dimension to the team they did not have last yr.

Defense:

Matt Bowen looked good. He delivered a punishing hit to Rod Gardner, it made a loud noise and the crowd ooh'd and aw'd.

Gardner looked a litttle shaken up. On the next play, the pass went to Coles, Bowen had him in his sights and Coles went

out of bounds to avoid the hit...

Fred Smoot and Rashard Bowman both had nice interceptions.

Smoot showed some nice leaping ability.

I plan to again next week...

>Ramsey did not look too sharp in morning practice.

What? I think you mixed him up with Rob Johnson. The throws that I saw were on the money. He threw some GREAT long bombs, but Johnson on the other hand looked terrible.

>>Patrick Johnson looked good today, this is the first time I saw him and I don't think he dropped any passes. It seemed like he was thrown to at least five or six times...<<

He had two.

>>>Chad Morton looked great. He was cutting well, very quick, good footwork, looks like he will be an impact player. He will definately add another dimension to the team they did not have last yr.

Yeah he did.

>>>>Defense:

Matt Bowen looked good. He delivered a punishing hit to Rod Gardner, it made a loud noise and the crowd ooh'd and aw'd.

Gardner looked a litttle shaken up. On the next play, the pass went to Coles, Bowen had him in his sights and Coles went

out of bounds to avoid the hit...<<<

That hit was on Trung not Gardner. There is a picture of that down on the board. Coles was so fast today!

Wednesday, July 30th; 4 PM Practice.

From what I've been reading, the afternoon practice wasn't as glamorous as the first, but a few things remained constant.

Line: I walked in to the practice, first seeing the line do some drills on the dummies. Dockery looked a little sluggish hitting the dummies, but hopefully that's something that can be worked on. The line got a lot of individual attention today, and only took part in one seven on seven drill. I was a bit distraught at the end of practice when Chris Samuels looked like he was in a lot of pain. He was holding his back and talking to a trainer on his way up.

QB's: The most concerning thing today was Patrick Ramsey. He threw some real nice passes, but struggled on others. He was real inconsistent in the QB and RB/TE/FB drill. Nearly every time this afternoon they attempted a short out play on the sidelines, the throw was too low and either led the reciever too much or threw behind him. Over the middle, he made some great throws to Rock from 20-30 yards out. He also looked pretty good in the 7 on 7's, making some nice plays to McCants and Gardner. I'd still like to see them become a little more consistent offensively in the red zone. Rob Johnson just needs to throw the football. This guy just hesitates. And hesitates. And throws into double coverage... with Rock Cartwright and Kenny Watson defending. Finally, the front runner for the 3rd QB job is pretty obvious. Gibran Hamdan is getting a lot of work, and playing well. He has nice touch on his passes and it's looking like Brad will come in 2nd place again... poor guy, I like his game; he'll get picked up by someone.

RB's: No Ladell Betts again, but Chad Morton looks like he is ready to be a premier third-down back... if there is such a thing. He looked explosive on draw plays and will fit in well with our offense this year. Kenny Watson got a lot of work recieving. They did some goal line (our goal line) work with the backs, and that's where Morton stood out. All in all, a decent day for the backs, but Morton really appeared like he'll be doing more than just special teams.

Recievers: Lavernues Coles can run an out pattern. He shook the hell out of Andre Lott and I think it was Ramsey who made a perfect throw and hit him right in the chest. Darnerian McCants had a good session, making a great catch in the end zone in 7 on 7. I think he's primed for a decent season when we go to a shotgun. Gardner had another decent practice, looking good alongside Coles. I am really, really excited about how these guys are going to grow into a great tandem together. The breakout reciever of the day had to be Patrick Johnson, who got a ton of work today. He didn't drop one ball and played very well. Probably the top player of the practice, followed closely by Morton.

Defense: We didn't see much out of them today, they were spending most of their time on the far field of camp, which wasn't easy/worth it to get access to. The 7 on 7's featured a lot of offensive players on the defensive side of the ball for some reason, I guess they got most of their work in the morning practice, which was apparently the "good practice" today. One other note, Champ Bailey made an excellent play on a dropped ball. A pass hit a running backs shoulder pad, bounced over him, and Champ made an excellent diving catch.

Anyway, even though today was a somewhat "lackluster" practice, it was still fun and I got some sweet autographs. Patrick Ramsey was a sport and decided to sign, Larry Moore gave me some ink, along with Wynn, and my man Darnerian McCants who is a really nice fellow. If you have any questions about today's PM practice, go ahead and ask and I'll try to answer. Go Skins.

-T

Just got back from another day of camp and let's just say Matt Bowen has a huge fan. Okay so I don't like how he does these hits on his teammates but for so longs we've had wimps like Stanley Richard, Matt Stevens, Leomont Evans, etc, it's nice to see a safety who will pop somebody. I just wish he save it for the Panthers game to make Stephen Davis wish he was in Washington.

Receiver look decent and Coles is making a lot of nice catches and doesn't intimadated by going up against Bailey or whoever. I also like Richmond Flowers and he may be more than just the singing Cowboys. Jacobs, Gardner and McCants have also looked good.

Another sleeper could be Robert Royal. I love his size and he can catch the ball.

The D-Line is a major concern and I only hope Jermaine Haley can play. We're making Big Daddy out to be Warren Sapp but our D-Line is so inexperienced that it's a major concern,

I want that Panthers game just to see these guys against other blood but you have to love Bowen's aggrssion I wish he'd save for opponents so Spurrier isn't on him because you have all the David Terrells you want the point is Bowen may strike fear into opponents

A few notes on the morning practice beyond what has been mentioned:

Thad Buttone (37) stood out to me. He obviously would be an upset to make the team, but I would like to see him get significant time in pre-season. I didn't see him handle the ball, and he's not very agile, but it would be nice to have a guy like that in short yardage. Beyond being very large, he appears to be an extremely powerful blocker. I guess the question is whether he fits the system.

Rashad Bauman (25) looked good on a few plays. He had a very nice leaping interception over Jacobs (Ramsey I think), although Jacobs ran back 30 yards, stripped the ball away and recovered.

Ladairis Jackson (94) got a lot of time, and looked strong and fast. Looks like he's ready to play.

Scott Cloman (19) got a lot of looks today, and didn't shine. He had a couple of drops, and some trouble lining up in the right place. Don't buy his Jersey just yet.

Sultan McCullough (39) seemed to get the attention of the coaches. They kept yelling at to run lower. He couldn't seem to get his body low when running through traffic, even in the drills.

The starting secondary pretty much shut down the offense. There was a lot of short passing, but they got nothing on the secondary. Smoot closed up and had a nice play where he anticipated the pass to the flat, and nearly had the interception running into the end zone.

Chad Morton (20) got a lot of time and looked good in space. Once he is on the edge, he runs by people.

My favorite play of the day was turned in by Matt Bowen. No, not "the hit". It was a play where Morton got around the outside and was streaking down the sideline. Bowen took a great angle and actually ran him down. He looks to have very good closing speed.

After the morning camp, we bumped into Darrell Green at Rio Grande in Reston. He was nice enough to chat with us for a while about camp. His first question was how Champ was doing. I think he is going to take a lot of pride in Champ's success in the coming years. He also mentioned that he would try to stop by camp one day soon. For all of his interest however, I could tell he was very glad to be outside looking in - at least until training camp is over!

Bowen has great safety speed in the 4.4 range. He could be the best offseason pickup we've made if he solidifies the secondary and shows up large to make some plays. That play on Canidate was obviously wicked, but, I can't remember another safety here in a long while who can arrive at speed and deliver a blow like that. One play isn't a sign of a guy's future, but, sheesh, this guy could have been a steal for a sixth rounder. Loving the reports guys. Keep it up.

Archived