Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training camp recaps.

Art

Help me out here.....The WP reported this morning that

"Chad Morton is probably the fastest of this bunch and can make moves that wow the crowd and leave defenders reeling". Now, to those whom have been to camp.....does he really look faster than Trung...or is that a bit of an exaggeration?

Man, our team is going to be lightning fast!! I am very interested to hear about how well Morton is running the ball. I wonder if he will be what some of us thought Robert Gillespie could have been. BTW, Jbooma, I LOVE that resturant. Best mexican in town!

Originally posted by Conrad87

"Chad Morton is probably the fastest of this bunch and can make moves that wow the crowd and leave defenders reeling". Now, to those whom have been to camp.....does he really look faster than Trung...or is that a bit of an exaggeration?

From what I've seen, It's not an exaggeration and it's not slap at Trung. Morton looks like Barry Sanders in the 2 day's i've been.

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11805

Training Camp Wrap-Up, July 31

07/31/2003

The Redskins held a morning practice that ran for over two hours. The team does not have an afternoon session for the first time since training camp began on Monday. Washington is set to resume practicing Friday, with both morning and afternoon sessions.

Here's a look at some highlights from the Thursday morning practice at Redskins Park.

Play: In 11-on-11 drills, the defense seemed to be getting the better of the offense for the first few plays. Then quarterback Patrick Ramsey faded back and received excellent protection from the second-string offensive line. He launched a pass down the right sideline towards wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who was blanketed by cornerback Champ Bailey. Bailey attempted to swat the ball away, and it appeared he caught a piece of the ball--but not enough. Coles hauled in the long pass, which would have gone for about a 50-yard gain.

Player: Pat Wood****. The first-year Syracuse product is trying to make the team as a wide receiver. Despite his diminutive size--he stands at 5-9, 183 pounds--Wood**** has stood out at Redskins practices during training camp so far. On Thursday he continued to catch almost everything thrown his way, displaying his trademark quickness throughout the morning session.

Quote: “I think it’s only good when you’re hitting the opponents. I don’t think you beat up your teammates. I never have believed it and I never will believe it. You have to learn how to practice together. The hits were fine today. You never hit someone that you might hurt out here. You have to realize you’re practicing against teammates.”

-Head coach Steve Spurrier, lamenting some of the hard hits that occurred in Wednesday's practices.

Atmosphere: Overcast skies greeted the players on Thursday. The practice was marked by extremely humid weather, though the temperature was rather mild. The crowd continued to cheer positive plays, and they roared at times when a player made a big catch or an elusive move in the open field.

Notes: Long-time Redskins trainer Bubba Tyer is set to retire Friday. Tyer has spent 33 years with Washington, the longest tenure of any current employee.... The Redskins will begin practices Friday at 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.... Fan Appreciation Day festivities are scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.

-Compiled by Jason Gould

Originally posted by MWCREDSKIN

Another sleeper could be Robert Royal. I love his size and he can catch the ball.

As I recall, Royal was tearing it up in the preseason last year before his injury. He could be solid for us down the road, but I'd love to see Walls in here this year.

That'd be a decent tandem, and a solid trio if Flem steps up.

7/31-9:00AM

A few observations that I saw......(I wasn't watching practice the whole time..I was kind of busy trying to swat the annoying bugs out my face..lol)

QB-Ramsey looked above average most of the time I saw him. He did make a few good throws including one to Coles down the sideline that was dropped perfectly over Champ's head that would have went for TD. He also threw a rope to Taylor Jacobs who made a REALLY good over the shoulder catch. A few mistakes were made though, like throwing the ball w/o even reading what type of coverage was there. On a play intended for Coles like the one mentioned above, Ramsey threw the ball...right into David Terrell. This was just part of the learning curve that all 2nd years Qb's go through though. Overall, Ramsey showed a GREAT zip on the ball but needs to work on his touch passing.

HB-Didn't see much of the RB's but I did see Trung make a outstanding cut on a misdirection where he showed good agility. He turned the corner and just when I thought he was going to be tackled, he turned it into 3rd gear and BLEW past the guy. That would have been a TD for sure. Chad morton also looked fast and very quick. He looked very comfortable returing kicks and punts. He will be a great addition to the redskins...guarenteed.

WR'S-Coles is looking more and more comfortable as these practices wear on. He was catching everything. Guy is sooooo fast. He made a number of great grabs. I noticed that that he made a number of sick catches in the passing drills. He is the real deal. Gardner from what I saw of him looks promising. He finally looks fully comfortable in this offense. He just looks so intimidating. I expect him to have a great year as well. Taylor Jacobs was the best WR I saw today. He just suprised me with his crisp route running and hands. The guys is bigger than I thought. This WR core is the perfect blend of speed, toughness, and consistancy....at least so Far.;)

OL-not much here. O-line looked better and Looking at Samules, Jansen and Dockery on the same line looked down right mean.

Samuels looked quick and agile in drills. We should have a top 5 offensive line this year. They are starting to gel, and the signs are becoming clear that this group will be very solid with a chance to become dominant as the preseason progresses.

DL-OOOO...I like Regan Upshaw. Even though he is not great player, this guys gives it 110 percent in any drill. He jut went beserk in one drill hearing applause from the crowd for his great effort. Did't pay much attention to the others. Can't really tell at this time if the line can be a dominant prescence...but don't be suprised..You never know.

LB--saw a little bit of Arrington before he left...He mae a NUMBER of good plays. One where he wasn't fooled by Ramsey's play fake. He would have killed the Qb in a real game. Trotter looks ready to make the big step. He looked in shape and showed intensity and most importantly, instincts. He doesn't look lost out there. He will be a player this year...believe me. Armstead I didn't see much of, but he looked solid and he does not show too many signs of wearing down.

DB'S-Champ was Champ. He will be great as usual. Smoot didn't practice. Bauman made a few good plays including a nice INT. He will be a solid 3rd or 4th CB. Bowen could be the best aquisition. He is a head hunter that we have lacked for the last couple of years. He shows range and he shows passion. He will be a big time addition to this Defense.

Not really in depth but I shared my thoughts. Defense outshined the offense again...no big suprise there. Skin's are comming along nicely.;)

Sorry, but I didn't read all of the previous posts. I got to go to camp Wednesday morning and witness Bowen's hit on Canidate. It was an oohh hit. Anyhow, my highlight was when the players were going off the field and signing autos. Lavar was at the corner of the rope (those of you that have been there know where the corner is). Lavar was signing a LOT of stuff and doing quips for WUSA 9. He worked his way up toward the complex a little (still signing) and then turned to leave . He was on the paved portion to the complex when the fans really gave him a light-hearted razzing about going. He stood there and played to the crowd (ala Hulk Hogan) cupping his hand to his ear as if to say I'll go to whomever is louder. Chants of "LA" on one side and "Lavar" to the other filled the air. With a big 'ol grin he started zig zagging (still teasing) back toward the crowd. Me and my seven year old were directly across from him the whole time (both wearing our #56 retros!). He came directly to my son and signed a mini helmet for him. I had made my son get some other sigs on it because I was afraid Lavar would get tired and leave. While he signed the helmet, my boy told him if there wasn't enough room, he could sign his jersey instead. Lavar said, "How bout I sign both of them?" My son poked his chest out and Lavar signed the jersey too. Needless to say, he made both of our days. I never had an opportunity like that when I was young, and now my son has met his favorite player twice (last year during fan appreciation day and Wed.). Lavar didn't disappoint which is priceless in the eyes of a child (and impressive to me).

Originally posted by Conrad87

Comparing the two running the RB drills, Chad looks mechanical and Trung looks fluid.....polished may be a better word.

One new player i haven't heard a single word about is alex molden. I know he's not much of an elite player, but how has he looked out there compared to rashaud bauman? Who do you think has the advantage right now on the nickel spot?

A few additional thumbnail observations from Thursday's morning session. I spent most of my time watching the "skill players" on offense.

Running Backs. In addition to his impressive speed, Canidate looked surprisingly good running inside and showed that he can and will fight for yardage. Morton is evey bit as quick and explosive as advertised. Watson was very sharp, looking every inch a quality NFL starter on both run and pass plays. He definitely is in the competition. Cartwright had a surprising number of carries (from a one back set) and is even quicker than I remember from last year. However, he does not block as well as Johnson, who is an absolute horse. McCullough may be a head case, but he can flat out fly and he runs hard in traffic.

Receivers. Coles is everything we could ask for. He was spectacular on the TD throw he took away from Champ. Gardner looked OK but did not appear to be going all out. Patrick Johnson was smoother on his routes and better with his hands than his record would have led me to expect. Jacobs - WOW! He would be starting for most NFL teams. Wood**** dropped one pass he should have caught, but otherwise showed excellent hands, good routes and explosiveness after the catch. Although he probably won't even make the practice squad, Dillard may be one of the quickest WR's in camp. He seems to reach overdrive on the second step. Flowers was a bit of a surprise - about as technically smooth as you can get and made some good catches. Unfortunately, he has only average speed and quickness at best. Flemister, not surprisingly, did not appear to always have his head in the game. In a game he would have gotten Ramsey killed (on the first 11 on 11 play, when Arrington blew right by him).

Quarterbacks. Ramsey had a mixed session, looking very sharp at times and tentative on others. Johnson looked very smooth (if not mechanical) but then quickly gave way to Hamdan, who got more snaps than I would have expected in the various drills. Hamdan certainly has a gun and he looked reasonably comfortable, although his throws too frequently were off target. Banks was a disappointment. Compared to the others, his arm did not look strong and, on far too many plays, he was forcing the ball.

gridironmike, that's the kind of presence that i feel is important on a team. it gives this team a sense of community that hasn't really been around since free-agency. i know when i was younger i went to carlisle with my mom and ricky sanders took the time to talk to me when he signed my notepad. now, i know he's just ricky sanders but that attention made him my favorite player...it's important when you're little. i liked your story!

Originally posted by Die Hard

Haven't heard much about Terrell, Iffy, Bryan Johnson and Armstead either.

From 7/30 Wed morning session - - Johnson looked particularly quick. They had all the backs doing drills right at the sideline. They were running high knee drills (similiar to through the tires) and Kenny Watson looked to be good. Johnson looked, well, bullish in that drill. They also ran a side to side (or zig zag) drill through about six perpendicular dummies. This is where Trung looked smooth and Morton looked robotic (pausing at each corner and he seemed to be looking at his feet like "don't fail me"). Johnson ran the drill very well. Then, each back had to run through two sets of upright dummies with trainers applying pressure. As they should, Rock and Johnson didn't notice the dummies and Johnson didn't even seem to break stride. He went through pretty fast. Armstead seems curiously quiet.....

Archived