Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

He is a project and what better time to try and groom a project player than this year, we have the time. TE turned FB, comming off of an ACL his last year. If he can special team and block a little and get some meaningful playing time this year, who knows. It could be a positive. Glad we gave Mike Sellers more cash earlier this year....not

The only problem with that is this guy is going to be inactive every Sunday the rest of the year unless Sellers gets injured. More likely it's a Danny move to bribe a Maryland supporter. Another all-Pro.

You've got Eddie Williams the FB/TE confused with Edwin Williams the Center who is from Maryland. Eddie Williams is from big sky land and is the one who was just promoted to the active roster.

FWIW, Olinemen taken after Eddie Williams (221) in the 7th round (you know, in case we wanted depth at a slightly more vital/needed position than FB/TE).

225 Blake Schlueter © TCU: DEN, released preseason, FA

226 AQ Shipley © Penn State: PIT, their 3rd string center, on PS

228 Lydon Murtha (OT) Nebraska: DET, Claimed off DET PS by MIA Oct 20th, on MIA 53 man roster

236 Jaimie Thomas (OT) Maryland: IND, on PS

239 Ryan Durand (OG) Syracuse: TEN, on PS

246 Lance Louis (OG) San Diego State: CHI, backup LT on 53 man roster

254 Trevor Canfield (OG) Cincy: ARI, released preseason, FA

Instead of just being a contributer to the white noise around here, how about at least naming a few available high profile Offensive Lineman & a true offensive threat to bring up.

Don't know if he is still out there but Matt Lehr was cut by the Titian's a short while back. Doesn't give up the sack too often.

Geisinger filled in awhile back on no notice when Samuels went down and I don't see him on any roster. Don't know if the skins would take or want him back though.

As far as some offense they could just at least try some of the guys that they already have on the roster that haven't even seen the field.

You've got Eddie Williams the FB/TE confused with Edwin Williams the Center who is from Maryland. Eddie Williams is from big sky land and is the one who was just promoted to the active roster.

Eddie(TE/FB) is originally from Cali, and went to Univ. Of Idaho- big sky land is Montana...never heard of Idaho being referred as that.

What I remember from the draft is that his specialty is in catching passes out of the backfield, not blocking. I don't think this move is gonna help our current problems too much - unless we want to give Campbell more checkdown options.

Yeah, he does have good hands and was used a lot in Idaho as a pass catching TE. And yes, with the swiss cheese O line, I would imagine we might see more check downs.

Hopefully this means Williams is a better blocker than Betts.

We sign a WR to the practice squad and people complain saying it should be an OL.

We go and sign Levi Jones, and now we bring a versatile back up who can help in pass protection, maybe more, and bring an OL in for practice squad, and most of the responses are just more cynicism despite these moves helping our blocking which is what everyone wanted.

The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed fullback Eddie Williams to their 53-man roster.

Good luck to the kid. I assume he becomes the #3 TE with maybe some reps on teams. Anyway, give him some reps, then when Cooley returns, Yoder should be the one to miss out.

Eddie(TE/FB) is originally from Cali, and went to Univ. Of Idaho- big sky land is Montana...never heard of Idaho being referred as that.

The other poster mentioned that we promoted Eddie Williams to the active roster to bribe a University of Maryland supporter. That's why I said he confused Eddie Williams the FB/TE with Edwin Williams the C who is from University of Maryland.

I got Idaho confused with Montana. My mistake there.

We go and sign Levi Jones, and now we bring a versatile back up who can help in pass protection, maybe more, and bring an OL in for practice squad, and most of the responses are just more cynicism despite these moves helping our blocking which is what everyone wanted.

"Negatives: Finding a position may be an issue. Below average height and strength to play tight end or H-back, but was not used as a lead blocker in Idaho's offense. Struggles to anchor or sustain blocks against defensive ends or bigger linebackers. Will cut block, albeit effectively, in pass protection instead of standing up to blitzers. Doesn't have the straight-line speed to threaten the seam or separate from NFL linebackers and safeties."

From NFL.com

I think a lot of peoples issues stem back to the draft, where we repeated eschewed project OL for project LB, TE, FB, etc. I am glad that he might help in pass pro, but the fact remains that he represents yet another player picked over an Olineman. And for me, and others, that is a constant reminder of how we build our team.

I think a lot of peoples issues stem back to the draft, where we repeated eschewed project OL for project LB, TE, FB, etc. I am glad that he might help in pass pro, but the fact remains that he represents yet another player picked over an Olineman. And for me, and others, that is a constant reminder of how we build our team.

That there are people who believe we should pick OL no matter if we think that there are better players at other positions? Despite what people think, OL wasn't our only need and just picking a bunch of players doesn't mean that you got players who make your squad.

As for picking a FB, Mike Sellars is 35. He's not a spring chicken and we know he has limitations.

That there are people who believe we should pick OL no matter if we think that there are better players at other positions? Despite what people think, OL wasn't our only need and just picking a bunch of players doesn't mean that you got players who make your squad.

As for picking a FB, Mike Sellars is 35. He's not a spring chicken and we know he has limitations.

I knew I would be hearing from you on this one. First, I agree that OL wasn't our only need. But I see your 35 year old FB and I raise you a 32 year old LT with an injury history, a 32 year old center, and a 33 year old RG with an injury history. Not to mention that our backups aren't exactly proven.

We can run an offense with out a FB. We can't run an offense with a old, beaten-up line.

I knew I would be hearing from you on this one. First, I agree that OL wasn't our only need. But I see your 35 year old FB and I raise you a 32 year old LT with an injury history, a 32 year old center, and a 33 year old RG with an injury history. Not to mention that our backups aren't exactly proven.

We can run an offense with out a FB. We can't run an offense with a old, beaten-up line.

Yeah, Samuels has missed 4 games in the past 5 years. Real injury prone. :rolleyes: Fact is, what happened to him this year could have happened to him any time in his career and had nothing to do with having an "injury history".

In a draft very light on centers (5 picked in the whole draft) we picked one up as a UDFA. Oh, and not injury prone at all.

As for Thomas, I think that's the injury that they were most prepared for. The team has plenty of guards on the roster. Drafting another one probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

I like this move. I think the Skins are going to use the remaining 9 games to re-evaluate their roster.

Williams needs to take the field so we can actually assess what his true potential is. It also sends a message to Mike Sellers that he may be done here.

Yeah, Samuels has missed 4 games in the past 5 years. Real injury prone. :rolleyes: Fact is, what happened to him this year could have happened to him any time in his career and had nothing to do with having an "injury history".

In a draft very light on centers (5 picked in the whole draft) we picked one up as a UDFA. Oh, and not injury prone at all.

As for Thomas, I think that's the injury that they were most prepared for. The team has plenty of guards on the roster. Drafting another one probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Fact is, Samuels got beaten up last year, and the fact is, what happened to him this year could have happened to him at any time, ALL the more reason to prioritize having good depth behind someone with such a condition. Or we could just cross our fingers and hope this "mental" issue doesn't put his season or career at risk...which is exactly what we did.

Note I never said "injury prone" for Rabach, but his best days are behind him. I'm glad we got Edwin Williams, perhaps he will be the answer down the road.

I know that we have had a flawless draft strategy in your eyes, but I still can't believe that a team as shallow on the line as ours doesn't draft more Olinemen. Other teams with stronger lines than ours certainly felt these late rounders would be beneficial picks...I guess our crackerjack FO knows more than they do...

And maybe drafting another OL wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but how much of a difference is Eddie Williams going to make? You are so defensive about this pick (and every other pick) when neither of us has any idea whether or not he will pan out or not.

I am just as entitled to second guess this strategy as you are to blindly defend it.

Edit: This is not an criticism of the player, but of the thought process of selecting him in the first place. I am all for seeing what we have.

, but how much of a difference is Eddie Williams going to make? .

at this point, I doubt any type of change is going to turn this season around. So why not give the kid a chance to play a little? As others have pointed out Sellers is 35, we have been playing w/ 3 active TE's and with Cooley out for a month they are filling that spot. There is no magical answer to this mess. We can play the "woulda coulda shoulda" game all day long, doesn't matter. What matters is that going forward this season we evaluate who we have. We can watch them all day long in practice, or even preseason-but we need to see how they can handle a real game.

We are pretty much destined for a top 5 draft pick-so it doesn't matter anyway.

at this point, I doubt any type of change is going to turn this season around. So why not give the kid a chance to play a little? As others have pointed out Sellers is 35, we have been playing w/ 3 active TE's and with Cooley out for a month they are filling that spot. There is no magical answer to this mess. We can play the "woulda coulda shoulda" game all day long, doesn't matter. What matters is that going forward this season we evaluate who we have. We can watch them all day long in practice, or even preseason-but we need to see how they can handle a real game.

We are pretty much destined for a top 5 draft pick-so it doesn't matter anyway.

How much playing time do you see Williams getting barring injury to Sellers?

And again, I don't have a problem with the move to activate him at all, I have a problem with the thought process in selecting him.

And isn't the "woulda coulda shoulda" game what we do on here the majority of the time?

And again, I don't have a problem with the move to activate him at all, I have a problem with the thought process in selecting him.

And isn't the "woulda coulda shoulda" game what we do on here the majority of the time?

first, I don't believe he was brought on b/c of Sellers. He is a hybred TE/FB. We have had 3 active TE's in games for 2 years now (well 1 1/2 so far). So in essence, he will get playing time, as much as Fred or Yoder when Cooley is healthy (I go for "as much as Fred" due to the pass catching piece of it). I do not see him filling in for Sellers.

2nd- I'm not in the "woulda coulda shoulda" crowd. maybe you are, I'm not. I don't play that in real life either, its a waste of time/energy.

I'm sure he'll get plenty of PT on special teams.

*If he's active on sundays that is.

Archived