Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

We sign a fullback to replace our lost left tackle! Vinny IS a genius no other personnel man would have made this move! Sometimes you just have to think outside of the box.

I'm so depressed....:doh:

Hey mods how about a Vinny sucks smiley?

we signed Levi Jones to weeks ago. Our lost LT was already replaced.

first, I don't believe he was brought on b/c of Sellers. He is a hybred TE/FB. We have had 3 active TE's in games for 2 years now (well 1 1/2 so far). So in essence, he will get playing time, as much as Fred or Yoder when Cooley is healthy (I go for "as much as Fred" due to the pass catching piece of it). I do not see him filling in for Sellers.

2nd- I'm not in the "woulda coulda shoulda" crowd. maybe you are, I'm not. I don't play that in real life either, its a waste of time/energy.

Well, I'm glad that we had the personnel to fill in if Cooley went down, that was tremendous foresight. TE depth is vital to offensive success.

If only we could have done that at some other spots. Thats the thing that gets me so much, there are many cases where we do plan for the future (see: Kevin Barnes), but of all things the line is where we take a wait and see approach? Seriously?

As far as "woulda coulda", I think analyzing past successes and failures is a good way in which to grow as a coach/player/GM/owner/person. You can always look back on the past and see ways in which you could have done something better. I hope the Front Office does a little self reflection this offseason at least.

we signed Levi Jones to weeks ago. Our lost LT was already replaced.

Actually no. Perhaps I should have said lineman. Remember Alridge was signed when Thomas went on IR leaving us one lineman short. A tribute to Vinny's playoff caliber depth no doubt. Alridge and Mason were then cut for Ganther and Jones. See here:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/washingtonredskins/transactions?team=WAS

Yes Jones is a LT but what has he been doing for the past six weeks? Why did the Lions and the Packers both pass on him? No our LT/lineman hasn't been replaced bring in some youth!

It would be great and find someone to replace Sellers

first, I don't believe he was brought on b/c of Sellers. He is a hybred TE/FB. We have had 3 active TE's in games for 2 years now (well 1 1/2 so far). So in essence, he will get playing time, as much as Fred or Yoder when Cooley is healthy (I go for "as much as Fred" due to the pass catching piece of it). I do not see him filling in for Sellers.

2nd- I'm not in the "woulda coulda shoulda" crowd. maybe you are, I'm not. I don't play that in real life either, its a waste of time/energy.

Lewis probably saw through Sellers

I like this move. I think the Skins are going to use the remaining 9 games to re-evaluate their roster.

Williams needs to take the field so we can actually assess what his true potential is. It also sends a message to Mike Sellers that he may be done here.

Fact is, Samuels got beaten up last year, and the fact is, what happened to him this year could have happened to him at any time, ALL the more reason to prioritize having good depth behind someone with such a condition. Or we could just cross our fingers and hope this "mental" issue doesn't put his season or career at risk...which is exactly what we did.

It is a condition that he's known about since high school. Precautions were taken. I don't once regret drafting him and it has been a good run. But, anyone who says that Samuels going down was predictable is speaking in hindsight.

Note I never said "injury prone" for Rabach, but his best days are behind him. I'm glad we got Edwin Williams, perhaps he will be the answer down the road.

While Rabach has his limitations, he is the QB of the line and helps keep things organized on the line. At the same time, I expect the Redskins to look to maybe move on. Course, they might be forced to stick with Rabach for a bit when they may need to fill other positions. In any case, I expect Williams and Montgomery to push for the position next year.

I know that we have had a flawless draft strategy in your eyes, but I still can't believe that a team as shallow on the line as ours doesn't draft more Olinemen. Other teams with stronger lines than ours certainly felt these late rounders would be beneficial picks...I guess our crackerjack FO knows more than they do...

I never said it was flawless, but it is hard to be armchair GMs when we are, for the most part, clueless as to who would be best to draft. We see a bunch of names and point to them, not knowing if they are any good or not. When drafts to get sussed out, people point to the successes like they were slam dunks when the player may not have been a good fit or maybe wasn't on the radar for one reason or another.

For the most part, I think Vinny has done a pretty decent job drafting in the past couple of years. While I've been disappointed that some aspects haven't been addressed in a given year, the draft isn't a grocery store. You can only get what is available, and it isn't always in the places where you have a need.

And maybe drafting another OL wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but how much of a difference is Eddie Williams going to make? You are so defensive about this pick (and every other pick) when neither of us has any idea whether or not he will pan out or not.

The 53rd player on a roster probably isn't going to have much of an effect, no matter what the position. I didn't mind the Williams pick because he seems to be a talented guy brought in at a position where we have a lot of age.

I am just as entitled to second guess this strategy as you are to blindly defend it.

Sure. Course, the team's success rate with their late round picks have been pretty good, so they kinda get the benefit of the doubt with who they pick.

Sure. Course, the team's success rate with their late round picks have been pretty good, so they kinda get the benefit of the doubt with who they pick.

Yes the team is very successful in general, the picks have worked out well.

Durant Brooks in particular was awesome, and really earned his spot over Frost after a great preseason. Not picking up any OL in the late rounds of last year has also panned out well for us.

The Skins have been trying to address the offensive line issue lately. Let's face it; there isn't a lot out there to sign. Sellers, I heard, has some injuries and he is 35. Who said Williams can't block? What I heard was he was a good receiver and must not block too bad because he has played several positions including TE. Give this man a chance; he is about the only person drafted after Orakpo that has any talent supposedly. Let's not crucify the management until we see what he can do. I don't think that we are going to see Sellers around too many more years at 35. :logo::helmet:

Eddie Williams is a band-aid solution while Cooley is out. We need 3 people capable of playing tightend, and a fullback. Basically, if Davis or Yoder goes down, Williams is in at tight end, allowing us to have a 2 tight end set with 2 backs in the backfield.

On the plus side, he's also a backup for Sellers, meaning if he gets injured, Yoder and Davis can play TE and he can play FB. Who knows, maybe he's blocking better than Sellers has this year.

If the Tackle is any good, maybe Williams goes to the practice squad and he gets elevated to the roster once Cooley is back.

Well, I'm glad that we had the personnel to fill in if Cooley went down, that was tremendous foresight. TE depth is vital to offensive success.

Tight ends are active participants on both running and passing plays, and are generally the wildcard player you never know what to expect them to do on defense. Often times they lead their team in receptions, and in single back sets lead block more often than a pulling guard, not to mention most runs go their way.

Yes, a good TE is vital to offensive success.

Archived