Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Wise - A Change Would Do No Good

DixieFlatline

Unfortunately, I think he speaks the truth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/11/AR2009101102149.html

Now that Jim Zorn's time appears short, now that the Holmgren Watch, the Shanahan Watch, the Gruden Watch, the Cowher Watch and the George Allen Seance have begun in earnest, an important question must be asked:

Which coach, who is already filthy rich and has bona fide credentials, would want this miserable, no-upside job?

What experienced, egocentric winner would want to take over the sorry lot that gave back a 15-point lead -- the largest lead of the Zorn era -- to a Carolina team waiting to crumble to 0-4 at home Sunday?

Is a guy like Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren naive enough to think he can fix an off-tackle run from the 3-yard line unfathomably resulting in a safety? Think about that play, the absurdity of where it started and where it inexplicably ended.

Is Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher truly deeply enough in denial to believe he can turn Mike Sellers into an aggressive blocker again? Or actually make a patchwork, Band-Aid offensive line that Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, forgot to fix in the offseason somehow mow down a team that finished 30th against the run? That line on Sunday featured a right guard who had not started an NFL game since 2005 and another who had not played a regular season down since 2007.

Have any of the most sought-after motivators and fixers in the game foolishly convinced themselves that Zorn, as hooey and over-explanatory and all-twisted-up inside as he is right now, is the main problem with this franchise?

When they watched the Redskins' two touchdowns Sunday come inside the 10-yard line only because of turnovers, is that all Zorn's bad, too?

Because D'Angelo Hall could not bring down an aging quarterback on a one-on-one bootleg before he clinched the game with a first-down run -- because John Fox made the call of the game and killed a brilliant, if wasted, defensive effort by Washington -- does some big-name guy feel that he is the answer? ..............................

see link for rest of article

A change may not immediately help, but in the long term if it gets rid of Vinny it will help.

IF Vinny is gone....and that's a big IF. I think he's the main problem at the moment. Well...besides Snyder not recognizing that and wanting to be involved in the football operations side of things.

This article is pure stupidity.

There are substantial instances of new guys coming in to "hopeless" situations and turning things around immediately. Wise, a guy paid by two organizations who exist for attacking the Redskins, is just pandering to the drama queens out there.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE OFFENSE CAN'T SCORE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How hard is this to understand? There isn't a defense out there that respects the Redskin offense, and every single one just relentlessly attacks it, because the offense does not make them pay for doing so. This will not change until the offense can start hitting plays, with consistency, on opposing Ds.

The OL and Portis cannot do much against stacked fronts. Campbell can't beat them with his arm. Zorn seems incapable of doing it with his design. Defenses are just pressing the heck out of the offense and it can't do a damn thing about it.

I suspect that a new coach could come in, and, with the right moves, could be successful pretty quickly. :2cents:

In fact, every time I think Jim Zorn's job is coming to an end, I wonder why more people don't bring up Vinny Cerrato's employment.

Apparently he doesn't look on this board.

But I also think a lot of folks just accept that Vinny is going to be here, like it or not.

Here's the thing. Snyder is the boss. He sits in the owners box and watches the games. Vinny is there with him. When Portis gets stopped in the end zone for a saftey, he can say to Snyder immediately, "Dumb call" He has the ability to communicate with Snyder as soon as something bad happens, and tell Snyder why it's not his fault. I'm not saying he DOES this. I'm saying he CAN do this.

And he's never going to say, "Damn, I wish we had thought of more OLmen in the off season. This just isn't working out so well."

Anyway, Vinny has Snyder's ear. He's not going to get fired unless a big name coach makes his offer contingent on that, like Marty did. Question is, would Snyder rather pass on the coach and keep Vinny, and get a lesser known coach.

I say that the latter is more of an option.

"If this year truly implodes in Zorn's second full season as the team's coach, will Snyder play the last card in his deck and jettison his long-time confidante to appease a fan base more incendiary every day?"

No

And no other questions matter since that is the case.

Wise and most of the DC media seem real schizophrenic about Zorn -- Wise not so much in this article but in other articles has questioned his play calling, other reporters have hit Zorn on leadership, ability to manage the clock, making in game decisions, etc -- many of them more or less say he isn't a good coach. THEN they get indignant about how Zorn shouldn't be fired mainly because he isn't the only problem and that he needs more time.

OK, so the DC media thinks for the most part he is a bad coach but Snyder needs to suck it up and keep him because Zorn is a nice guy, continuity is good, and they much prefer that it was Cerrato on the hot seat.

This isn't per se my personal opinion, I am just summing up what I observed many of the media guys are saying. Seems like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

The arsedips that write these media articles are no more knowledgeable or astute than some posters on this site. I'm not so sure a change in QB alone would not turn things around ... especially if the new QB had the ability to read defenses a bit. The Skins still have a solid defense after 5 games ... they just are incapable of scoring or even moving the chains with the present incumbent in there now.

sometimes its so easy to blame zorn or campbell but i think this article sums it up the best

Well, those two make it easy to blame them on a weekly bases. Zorn is clueless and JC looks like as if he doesn't know what he's doing. If Zorn want to keep his job, JC needs to be benched.

There are substantial instances of new guys coming in to "hopeless" situations and turning things around immediately. Wise, a guy paid by two organizations who exist for attacking the Redskins, is just pandering to the drama queens out there.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE OFFENSE CAN'T SCORE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How hard is this to understand? There isn't a defense out there that respects the Redskin offense, and every single one just relentlessly attacks it, because the offense does not make them pay for doing so. This will not change until the offense can start hitting plays, with consistency, on opposing Ds.

The OL and Portis cannot do much against stacked fronts. Campbell can't beat them with his arm. Zorn seems incapable of doing it with his design. Defenses are just pressing the heck out of the offense and it can't do a damn thing about it.

I suspect that a new coach could come in, and, with the right moves, could be successful pretty quickly. :2cents:

I agree. Wise is a clown, and looks like one. Seriously, you made good points.

And the offense can't score points, why? Because we have a junior varsity offensive line, because we have ignored it for 10 years. And whos fault is that? Not JCs or Zorns. Even before the injuries, the O-line was subpar.

You can't win in this division or league if you can't run, or control the clock, or give your QB enough time to progress or throw deep. And subsequently keep your offense on the field.

Bringing in Belichick and Peyton Manning wouldn't be enough to help this team. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just buying into Snyder's mentality that has killed this team for 10 years.

UMMM the line we have now on that side of the ball is nothing but OFFENSIVE! It is efffing broke. You call yourself a Redskins fan right? How the hell can you not appreciate the fact that the Hogs were responsible for our 3 Super Bowls? We had three different QB's but a league best O-Line!

Not unless he can bring a line with him. Did you not see the safety?!?! When Heyer's Fat-azz got knocked into the cheap seats?!?! How is this not a concept that you (a Redskins Fan) cannot grasp?!? :doh:

This is all on Danny and Vinny. Every Effing bit.

if the falcons during vick's mess did it why not us

That was a total corporate culture change there during the Vick mess. They hired new GM (Dmitrioff), new coach (Smith), and drafted new QB (Ryan).

I bolded the most important hire they made. Something that Snyder will never do.

Not unless he can bring a line with him. Did you not see the safety?!?! When Heyer's Fat-azz got knocked into the cheap seats?!?! How is this not a concept that you (a Redskins Fan) cannot grasp?!? :doh:

Julius Peppers going against a UDFA who shouldn't be a starter anywhere in the league.

It was a dumbass call on Zorn's part to begin with, running a sweep in the freaking end-zone.

I agree. Its not like we don't have good players on this team. Ports, Samuels, Moss, Cooley, Fletcher, Orakpo, Haynesworth, Rogers, Hall, McInotsh, Landry are all pretty damn good. Its not like we are the Raiders, Rams, Browns with not much talent to worth with. We have guys in place, but for some reason we can't do anything with them.

A new coach could design schemes are their strengths. Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do anyway? Like you said, our offense doesn't scare anyone. Which is strange since we have 5 Pro Bowlers on offense (Ports, Moss, Cooley, Sellers, and Samuels). Its not like we have 0 playmakers on offense. Yet somehow, we can't manage to score more than 2 TDs per game. The last time we score more than 20 points in a game was Week 17 of last year. Only 2 teams haven't scored more than 20 points in a game this season, Redskins and Rams. That is unacceptable!

Nope, not a chance.

+1.

At this point it starts at the tippy-top. Snyder would never sell the team so that's a moot point. We need a GM. A real GM. We need the NFL version of Ernie Grunfeld. A guy who knows the game, knows talent, and knows how to build an NFL franchise. It's not even about winning a Super Bowl. It's about competing and regaining some sense of direction and respect.

Archived