Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Cerrato: Redskins “adding a set of eyes”

JimmiJo

Well, what this probably does is put the Zorn is going to fired this week stories to rest. It also likely means that Zorn can start counting his days. It's a big vote of lack of confidence. Lewis may not be the guy to threaten his job, but the fact that he's here means unless there's a huge change Zorn won't make it past this year.

Which sadly is fair.

Sig:

skinssad.jpg

15. Please maintain respectable size signatures within the limitations set herein.

Maintaining reasonable size signatures minimizes the amount of load time needed to access a given page. Furthermore, it reduces the amount of excessive scrolling required of users perusing threads. Signatures should not exceed 550 pixels in width and 200 pixels in height. These dimensions are not a guideline, they are a rule. It is the standard dimension for the entire signature size a member can use. Regardless of the quantity of photos posted, the sum area of all the photos must not exceed the stated size limitations. In addition, signatures should not contain any more than 10 lines of text. The sum total of the height (ie. 200 pixels) INCLUDES text or any combination of images and text.

An example of a maximum sized sig is provided below:

examplek.jpg

You are reading too much into this, JJ. Dan Snyder, unsatisfied with the pace of progress, is merely giving Zorn some help. I doubt that Jim Zorn is concerned for his job security.

This hire is consistent with my theory as set forth in my thread -- Why Vinny and Jim Likely Have Job Security.

I agree with part of this and disagree with part. Zorn strikes me as the type who wouldn't worry about his job and instead just focus on the task ahead -- that fits his statements and his sort of new agey personality. So yeah I'd guess that Zorn isn't worried about job security.

But yeah if I had to take a guess, I'd say if the team's offense continues to sputter, Danny will fire him at the end of the season. Whether this offense's sputtering is Zorn's fault, or JC's or on overall talent thing or whether this offense isn't truly sputtering are separate debates.

But I don't think that signing an WC offensive consultant is incidental to how they perceive Zorn. What hits me most is listening to Vinny, I can't recall the last time I have heard a ringing endorsement of Zorn or for that matter a complement, if you guys have heard something than I'll stand corrected.

Vinny is usually talking about this player or that player making progress but nothing that I recall about how they think Zorn is doing a great job and this will come together.

For Vinny he would want to make the case that the talent is fine, since procuring talent is his drill. Based at least on what you read and to a degree what Vinny has said, him and Danny are close, some say they are buddies. If so, hard for me to picture Danny firing his pal Vinny -- unless he really screws up.

And I don't see an obvious screw up since he's become the defacto GM the last two years. Yeah not every draft pick has worked, and the JT trade was bad. But I don't know a GM whose EVERY move and pick is gold.

Personally I have been critical of Zorn before the season even began but still I think you have to let the season play out, I think its too early to generalize his performance and IMO he deserves a chance to let things play out. They are moving the ball, they need to improve of course red zone efficiency big time. The passing game to me doesn't seem like a disaster.

The running game to me has been disappointing. Portis doesn't look explosive. Yeah JC had an awful first half of the game last week, but otherwise I think he's been all right especially considering he not Portis has been the offense. IMO teams don't respect the running game right now compared to how they used to. And I don't know why that's the one thing that seems to get a complete pass here.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/10/does-sherman-lewis-hiring-signal-zorns-ouster-signal-holmgren-in-dc.html

Word today, at least from Dan Steinberg's Twitter account at the Washington Post, is there may be a plan in place. Really. Dan Snyder have a plan in place? Yes. As long as it does not include fixing the offensive line, Snyder will do it. According to League sources, should Zorn not be able to upright a sinking offense within two weeks, he will be fired and replaced by DC Greg Blache with Sherman Lewis taking over all offensive play calling.

sheehan has been calling for this for a few weeks now. hard to fix a problem when the same people have been working on it for the last year and a half, with no effect.

we can't get worse, but let's condemn vinny for trying to turn the offense around.

sound thinking guys.

i swear this entire team is damned if they do, damned if they don't on here.

i'm just glad they don't listen to the fans.

Exactly... If I were Smith I'd take control like this guy...

tumblr_kpghbb5P1H1qz4gu8o1_400.jpg

Re your first point I think your wrong there. I have not gone and checked the play by play but my impression is we have been passing more than running on 1st down - until we get to the red zone that is.

In the giants game we ran 18 vs 12 1st down run vs pass:

There was balance in the 1st half, but the balance wasn't helping anyone but the defense:

To recap, that’s a total of 22 first downs for the Redskins on the day. The playcalling splits evenly between 11 running plays and 11 passing plays. But, as you’ll see, the production wasn’t nearly the same between the running and passing game.

After picking up 34 yards on the first run of the day, Portis was shut down the rest of the game – especially on first down. Nine times on first down the team handed Portis the ball and he picked up a total of 40 yards (which translates to a healthy 4.4 yards per carry). But don’t be fooled. Take away the big first carry and you’re looking at eight carries for just six yards. We repeat – eight carries for six yards. That’s not going to get it done, folks.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=299294

Until their final drive, which produced their only offensive touchdown, the Redskins would see eight first-down calls in the final two quarters. They ran on seven of them. Their gross yardage on those seven mad dashes: four yards.

Sequentially, the runs went this way: 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, -6, 0. That doesn’t leave the play-caller with the options he’d like on second down. Or third down.

So why the emphasis on the run on first down, with so little success to justify it?

I think the Rams/Lions game was more open on 1st down but the Bucs it seemed it was back to pounding the run on 1st down.

If my memory serves me the balance is skewed towards the run.

Which doesn't make sense to me for a bunch of reasons:

o WCO is a pass 1st offense

o 1st down is usually the easiest down to pass

o If we passed the ball more often on 1st down it would go a long way to keep the defense guessing and would likely lead to more favorable run fronts on 1st down

oThe passing game has been the most effective part of our offense

Apart from the first half versus the Bucs, the offense has been pretty effective in moving the ball (we were ranked 11th in the NFL in passing yardage before the Bucs game) but ineffective at turning that yardage into points.

I agree that we have moved the ball reasonably well.

But, we haven't scored in the 1st half let alone on our 1st drive in a long, long time.

Imo that is the fault of game design/game plan heading into the game, hopefully Lewis is here to help Zorn with have a more productive opening script that leads to points.

Best case bringing this guy in could develop a couple of ideas which might help in terms of game planning and play calling in certain situations. Worst case it undermines Zorn and has players wondering who is calling the shots. It certainly smacks of desperation.

Lewis hiring doesn't have to undermine Zorn, it all depends on how they define his role and fit him into the coaching staff.

Maybe the should have given him the title that other coaches have as 'passing game coordinator' because i think this the main area he'll coach.

I agree that it is a desperate move, by a team desperate for points.

And judging from Zorn's playcalling and the offense's past performance it wasn't going to change or improve on its own.

This team needs more than a new set of eyes.

Amen, they need a new set (or sets) of brains.

I'm puzzled by all the JC Coach-Killer talk in this thread. Didn't we have the same problems (inability to score or even be consistent) with Noodle Arm Brunell or Patrick Ramsey??

The only time we looked good on offense was when Todd Collins was starting...but Snyder didn't want him starting because he was paying the big bucks to JC.

You guys need to take a look at what the WCO is all about.

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/overview.htm

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/history.htm

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/intro.htm

The offense is not easy too learn. When mastered, it will work. Take a look at the Eagles. McNabb struggled with it. Takes time.

I wouldn't say he struggled with the WCO, any more than he might have struggled like any rookie/new QB does just adapting to the NFL. He actually was off and running in his second year.

McNabb's rookie year (AR's first year as well): 30th in yds/gm, 25th in pts

Year2: 17th yds/game, 12th pts/game

Year 3: 17th yds/game, 9th pts/game

McNabb Rookie year: 8GS, 8td/7int, 948 yds

Year2: 16GS, 21td/13int, 3365 yds (made playoffs)

Year 3: 16gs, 25/12, 3233yds

I think this move could work it certainly can't hurt.

Another coach with knowledge of the WCO.

But, my question is who was on the short list?

Why not go after:

Gil Haskel, Holmgren's OC in Seattle

Keith Gilbertson, Holmgren's offensive consultant

Jim Lind, Holmgren's TE coach

Rick Dennison, Shanahan's OC in Denver

I know hindsight is 20/20 but why didn't they go after Jeremy Bates the Bronco's QB coach during the offseason?

I thought adding more WCO coaching expereince is something they would have thought of during the offseason.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=274272

You guys need to take a look at what the WCO is all about.

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/overview.htm

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/history.htm

http://www.westcoastoffense.com/intro.htm

The offense is not easy too learn. When mastered, it will work. Take a look at the Eagles. McNabb struggled with it. Takes time.

True, so why on earth are we still trying to get a QB with no natural ability to play the game one of the most difficult offenses to learn? Campbell is not exactly the smartest "peanut in the turd" so i really doubt that he will ever grasp the WCO.

17 1st down runs vs 11 passes

Good research and thanks for doing it. I tend to agree that we need to open up the offense more especially in the red zone.

That said The Panthers have been horrible defending the run so far this year and better against the pass.

I wouldn't say he struggled with the WCO, any more than he might have struggled like any rookie/new QB does just adapting to the NFL. He actually was off and running in his second year.

McNabb's rookie year (AR's first year as well): 30th in yds/gm, 25th in pts

Year2: 17th yds/game, 12th pts/game

Year 3: 17th yds/game, 9th pts/game

McNabb Rookie year: 8GS, 8td/7int, 948 yds

Year2: 16GS, 21td/13int, 3365 yds (made playoffs)

Year 3: 16gs, 25/12, 3233yds

the point is that he got better every year.

True, so why on earth are we still trying to get a QB with no natural ability to play the game one of the most difficult offenses to learn? Campbell is not exactly the smartest "peanut in the turd" so i really doubt that he will ever grasp the WCO.

Can you run the offense? Is it all Campbells fault? The problem is fans like you, that have no idea what you are talking about. NO IDEA!!:mad:

Its more than just Campbell. The system takes time.

Archived