Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: Live vote: In God we Trust

Thiebear

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency? * 17,291,290 responses

Yes. It's a violation of the principle of separation of church and state.

11% dotRed.gif

No. The motto has historical and patriotic significance and does nothing to establish a state religion.

89% dotRed.gif

Not a scientific survey. Click to learn more. Results may not total 100% due to rounding.

Not the most Religious person :) but i voted no because.

Best case scenario is we spend a billion to fix them? ummm, No!

Thats a LOT of responses?

The motto has zero to do with ANY specific religion. I think that some people always assume when "God" is referenced, it is referencing to Christianity. The United States was founded upon religious freedom. This phrase, in no way, is forcing people into believing any sort of religion.

No way should this phrase be removed. I don't see why it is a big deal...just like the pledge of allegiance.

Here's my take....

I don't care. Its not like it means anything anyways, and its not like it points to any specific religious deity. SCOTUS ruled that "In God We Trust" was not a specific reference to any particular deity. Is it a nice homage to our past? Sure, but does it mean anything today? No. Its not like someone slipping a dollar into a g-string is placed in an ethical dilemma because the dollar they just tipped says "In God We Trust" on it.

As for the number of votes, well that's pretty easy to explain since religious groups have been sending around emails with links to the poll.

Like I said it "promotes" RELIGION.

Well considering that the Constitution says that the government can't make a "law respecting an establishment of religion" I'm not sure what your point is. Does "In God We Trust" establish a religion? I love how so often the 1st Amendment which prohibits the gov't from creating a state church is twisted into "the gov't can't even say god".

Archived