Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congressman to constituent: "I wouldn't dignify you by peeing on your leg."

WVUforREDSKINS

Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.), told an anti-reform attendee at a recent town hall meeting that he wouldn't "dignify" the man by peeing on his leg.

The elderly citizen had gone on a long diatribe about the failures of government-run health care, to much applause and enthusiastic shouting from the crowd. He concluded with: "Mr. Congressman, don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

"I wouldn't dignify you by peeing on your leg, it wouldn't be worth wasting the urine," Stark shot back. There was a mixture of cheers and boos in the audience.

Click link for video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/15/pete-stark-i-wouldnt-dign_n_287080.html

The Congress has forgotten that they are employees and we are the employer.

That is exactly right. They have such disdain for the American people and always try to increase their power. The amazing thing is 50% of the country want to roll over and give it too them...such cowards.

We are regressing as a nation by the day.

Regressing is actually an interesting choice of word. The exchanges are a lot closer to the crazy stuff that happened closer to our nations founding. This is politics baby! I love it!

The PC polite crap is worthless and adults need to realize that it does NOT help. All it does is encourages neutral non-answers. Passionate politics is better.

Regressing is actually an interesting choice of word. The exchanges are a lot closer to the crazy stuff that happened closer to our nations founding. This is politics baby! I love it!

The PC polite crap is worthless and adults need to realize that it does NOT help. All it does is encourages neutral non-answers. Passionate politics is better.

Wait, YOU said what?

Well, its not quite as bad as the headline sounded, he was making a "witty" reply to something the older guy said. But it was kind of inappropriate.

"not quite as bad"..."kind of inappropriate"???? Huh? Who does he work for? That "older" gentleman is one of the people he works for and he insulted him. Keep it going Dems! Dig that hole deeper and deeper and deeper. Insult your fellow Americans because it's working. LOL

There's no way in hell that response should ever be considered appropriate in that situation...

:applause:

Wait, YOU said what?

I basically said I prefer these exchanges to the typical treatment we get from politicians. If I wanted to be talked to like I was a child I'd call my mother... I don't need it from our elected reps. Read some history on what politics used to be like. Hell just look at what state of the union speeches were like and compare to the puppy dog feel good bull**** we are given these days.

Today a politician is much more likely to dodge a question and smile than he is to just be a human being. If they get mad, then get friggin mad! I trust people that act like normal people a hell of a lot more than I trust someone completely calm all the time. When someone is calm all the time and smiles at you when facing tough questions... odds are good you're being lied to.

I guess I'm naive. I always assumed that the job of our leaders is to serve Americans

Leaders serve? Sounds like a contradiction.

People should start remembering that they are elected representatives, not leaders. Their job is to go to DC and sell the other elected reps on what we want. They aren't supposed to lead anything but the sales presentation of our interests.

Probably not the smartest thing he could say, but pretty witty.

But just so I get this all straight....

We have had MANY threads on town hall meetings in the past few months. Most of you who are outraged in this thread don't seem to care about the decorum of citizens during these events.

If a citizen at a meeting gets the mike and starts screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs directly at our Representatives - most cheer on with a "Hell Yea!".

They can boo and hiss and chant while Representatives are answering questions and speaking to voters. That is just good old Democracy at work.

They can disrupt and cause disturbances because they are just showing the politicians just how mad they are!

They can make signs equating their actions to murder or ruthless international dictators - because Freedom of Speech is what makes American great!

But.... a politician makes a joke/witty come back and suddenly people are OUTRAGED!!!! The lack of respect, the lack of dignity, the lack of decency!!! These are events that need the up-most of order and respect for all involved......ummmm, have you seen these things?? :hysterical: Lets hold off on the outrage.

Of course our elected Representatives should be held to a hirer standard than regular citizens, and yes they should respect all their constituents regardless of their beliefs. They are also employees of their constituents and should respect that relationship. But a witty remark/come back here and there is not the end of the world or the a sign of our society crumbling..

To be fair, we demand better of our leaders and they should be better. This Rep failed. Can he be forgiven for having a human moment? Probably, but it was an unprofessional human moment and he should be taken to task. I know if I let something like that slip out of my mouth during an interview I'd be really mad at myself. I haven't done much political reporting, but have interviewed both repubs and dems and there have been times with each where I just looked at the person I was speaking with and thought, "Did you really just say that with a straight face? How stupid do you think I am? Do you think anyone won't see what you're doing?" but I never called them out or insulted them. I merely fired off another question and tried to get as full an understanding of the issue from their perspective as they were willing to deliver.

I'll admit that sometimes it was painful.

Archived