Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Giants were NOT in prevent D on our TD drive at the end

TheItalianStallion

I keep on hearing people say things to the effect of "JC only led us into the end zone because it was the end of the game and they rolled over for us." Hogwash. They were not in prevent. On the play before the TD, they sent a blitz, JC quickly got rid of the ball, threading the needle to ARE for a gain of 15 or so yards. On the TD, Cooley went right up the middle against a lone defender. That doesn't sound like they were trying to "keep everything in front of them" to me.

There's no denying the boneheadedness of his two turnovers and that audible, but give credit where it's due: JC made some good plays and got us in the endzone on that drive.

It always seems like our offense moves the ball so much better when they go to the hurry up and when Jason is in the shotgun. We always gain yardage in chunks and keep defenses on their heels. I know why we don't do it all game or something, but could it really hurt that much to be a little quicker in and out of the huddle, and faster in our execution, or to use the shotgun a little bit more in our regular offense?

It always seems like our offense moves the ball so much better when they go to the hurry up and when Jason is in the shotgun. We always gain yardage in chunks and keep defenses on their heels. I know why we don't do it all game or something, but could it really hurt that much to be a little quicker in and out of the huddle, and faster in our execution, or to use the shotgun a little bit more in our regular offense?

Our offense was actually moving the ball very well through the air yesterday. The playcalling to get away from that was atrocious. Aside from two grossly stupid plays (the JC fumble/TD and ARE doing his punt return impression on the end around), our offense actually performed pretty decently against a very, very good defense. If we can turn those big plays for the other team into big plays for us, I think we win that game.

The playcalling needs to get more aggressive in a hurry. We've spent all this time focusing on the passing game and getting passing weapons for Campbell. How about we use them?

Agree 100% Stallion. If the shoe was on the other foot and we were up and the G aints scored on us like that, ....NO1 would be saying that we let them score. We were just playing soft or prevent. We would be mad and on the edge of our seats hoping we don't let them recover the onside kick. JC did good with the hurry up. Zorn needs to make adjustments on his run run pass play calling.

I still think they were playing soft and with less effort but who cares if it was prevent or not, the bottom line is JC only takes that chance in the endzone because he was forced to, the game was basically over. Do you think he would have had the balls to throw that pass early in the game...I think NOT! I am not sure if its Jason or if Zorn just has no faith in him. Lets hope next week the offense shows up alot earlier!:mad:

I still think they were playing soft and with less effort but who cares if it was prevent or not, the bottom line is JC only takes that chance in the endzone because he was forced to, the game was basically over. Do you think he would have had the balls to throw that pass early in the game...I think NOT! I am not sure if its Jason or if Zorn just has no faith in him. Lets hope next week the offense shows up alot earlier!:mad:

So wait, the argument is that JC doesn't take chances? What about the INT? JC gambled on the throw to Moss as lost, in part because Moss failed to come back to the ball.

This is a perfect illustration of why I am forced to defend a QB that I'm not crazy about. People attack him because he "doesn't take chances" and then turn around and blast him for the INT. It must be nice to be able to have your cake and eat it too.

So wait, the argument is that JC doesn't take chances? What about the INT? JC gambled on the throw to Moss as lost, in part because Moss failed to come back to the ball.

This is a perfect illustration of why I am forced to defend a QB that I'm not crazy about. People attack him because he "doesn't take chances" and then turn around and blast him for the INT. It must be nice to be able to have your cake and eat it too.

I don't know how you can defend that play, JC was like 4 yards past the LOS when he threw it. Maybe Moss waas thinking "JC ran past the los, guess he's not throwing me the...holly **** wtf?

Just how early in the game do you mean? Our playcalling up until the interception looked like

1st qtr.

Portis run

Randel El loss for 10 yds.

Portis 3 yd run

Screen to Cooley

2nd qtr.

Portis run - no gain

Portis run - no gain

Portis run - 3 yds.

2nd qtr. 10:02 Finally starts passing

Pass - 16 yds

Pass - 13 yds.

Interception. Bonehead play.

I keep on hearing people say things to the effect of "JC only led us into the end zone because it was the end of the game and they rolled over for us." Hogwash. They were not in prevent. On the play before the TD, they sent a blitz, JC quickly got rid of the ball, threading the needle to ARE for a gain of 15 or so yards. On the TD, Cooley went right up the middle against a lone defender. That doesn't sound like they were trying to "keep everything in front of them" to me.

There's no denying the boneheadedness of his two turnovers and that audible, but give credit where it's due: JC made some good plays and got us in the endzone on that drive.

it took the redskins final and last drive of the game (yes, the entire game!!!) for JC to get his team in the endzone...whoopie, on the last drive!!! you gonna give him credit for getting the sikins into the endzone, for the one time and only time of the game, at the about the 1:30 minute mark...this you say deserves credit? haha, ok ok...whatevers.

it took 58+ minutes out of 60 for the skins offense to finally score a TD...

it took the redskins final and last drive of the game (yes, the entire game!!!) for JC to get his team in the endzone...whoopie, on the last drive!!! you gonna give him credit for getting the sikins into the endzone, for the one time and only time of the game, at the about the 1:30 minute mark...this you say deserves credit? haha, ok ok...whatevers.

i think the point was that when JC was allowed to pass the ball, he was actually effective, as opposed to the countless running plays that netted all of about 25 yards after the first run.

yeah that TD didn't count, and if we recover the onside kick.... we had no chance of winning :doh:

I swear some of the posts I have read today makes question many posters coping skills

The Patriots were not in prevent in 2007 either. JC earned that 7. Everyone wants to talk about the 52 and they forget about the 7. Haters.

Pathetic.

You don't like the thread, the facts and so, you write this crap.

Look at Couglin's face as we march down and score.

I'm sure he thought they should give up seven...

Some folks are so blinded by the hate, they can't be objective.

Wonderful.

Pathetic.

You don't like the thread, the facts and so, you write this crap.

Look at Couglin's face as we march down and score.

I'm sure he thought they should give up seven...

Some folks are so blinded by the hate, they can't be objective.

Wonderful.

SoCal has been hating on Campbell for as long as I've seen him on these boards.

It was funny to see him shut up last year int he middle of the 6-2 start . . . only to creep back out once the offensive line went down.

not prevent, but a soft 3-deep with man coverage underneath. at least thats what it looked like to me. once they got closer to the redzone it tightened up again.

coughlin was playing the percentages. up two scores, let them complete short-to-medium passes over the middle and run the clock down. tighten up and take chances when you get the short field.

yes, campbell was accurate, and the throw to cooley was very nice, but it was too late. his mistakes that led us to a 17 point defecit in the first half had already sealed the game.

against a team like the giants, you can't afford those kind of mistakes.

We scored 2 TD's in the last 5 min of the Dallas cowboy game in 2005 to win the game...

Did we not deserve that win? I am sure you were cheering along with everyone else were you not?

i think the point was that when JC was allowed to pass the ball, he was actually effective, as opposed to the countless running plays that netted all of about 25 yards after the first run.

That's exactly the point. People jabbering about how all Campbell threw were dumpoffs are flat-out wrong.

Campbell had pass plays of:

7, 17, 13, 9, 11, 23, 35, -2, 6, 6, 9, 6, 10, 5, 8, 11, 4, 16, 16, 17 yards.

He averaged 12 yards per completion and was picking up very good yardage against the Giants, especially hitting Randle El in the middle. On the other hand, we had runs of:

34, -11, 3, 0, 0, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 6, 1, 7, 1, 4, 3, -1, -2, -6, 0

After that first run, we gained a net of 16 yards and averaged .8 yards per carry. So yeah, it's pretty understandable that Zorn kept going with the run when it was pretty obvious that they were swarming all over it. Our last four rushing attempts gained -9 yards, whereas our last four passes gained 53.

Campbell made two very idiotic plays, but Zorn called an absolutely awful game. Just terrible.

Wow, nice to see SoCal get owned (love every post you make except ones about Campbell! :cheers: ) and the Campbell haters shut up.

I mean, he didn't have a Brees day, and even I was *THIS* close to throwing in the towel, but after looking back, he really did do a good job for the most part.

As for the pick to Moss, I put that 40% on Moss for just standing there looking at the ball instead of coming back to it. Even if it's a clear penalty, it's a free play for the defense. Just swat it down.

I was one of the ppl on here who said that the Giants were playing softer towards the end and even suggested that it may have been prevent defense. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. The fact still remains that the offense couldn't put up any points until the end of the game and the defense couldn't get any rush allowing eli pretty much all day to throw the football.

It makes me sick to see all this talent on the team and still be ineffective.

I was one of the ppl on here who said that the Giants were playing softer towards the end and even suggested that it may have been prevent defense. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. The fact still remains that the offense couldn't put up any points until the end of the game and the defense couldn't get any rush allowing eli pretty much all day to throw the football.

It makes me sick to see all this talent on the team and still be ineffective.

Props to you for owning up to that. :cheers:

Anyway, even as pissed as I was, it's a day later and time to try and look more objectively. The game wasn't good, but it wasn't all failures. We lost by six, and in the end, the score is what matters. Yes, it's a loss, but we weren't Tampa Bay or Carolina, either.

Archived