Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Giants were NOT in prevent D on our TD drive at the end

TheItalianStallion

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/09/14/DI2009091402120.html

McLean, Va.: Jason,

I don't understand why a lot of fans are discounting the TD at the end of the game - i.e. saying "it wasn't as close as the score", etc., etc. Obviously the Giants didn't want to give up a touchdown there, but as we saw on Monday night, anything can happen late in the fourth quarter.

The Giants were trying to stop them and the 'Skins scored - it was a good sign and definitely not something that should be just disregarded in my opinion. What are your thoughts?

Jason Reid: Some people just want to be unhappy. :yes:

Maybe but watching again on dvr and I see 2 man under

Dont usually see many prevents with 9 men within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage do you?

-2 man under is a madden defense, not an NFL defense... They were playing cover-2 man however, which isn't prevent.... Because no one uses prevent unless there is like 7 seconds less and a team just wants to prevent a hail-mary... Teams do use a cover 2 with man coverage, this allows them to keep the ball in bounds and the clock running, while also preventing a deep shot downfield

-2 man under is a madden defense, not an NFL defense... They were playing cover-2 man however, which isn't prevent.... Because no one uses prevent unless there is like 7 seconds less and a team just wants to prevent a hail-mary... Teams do use a cover 2 with man coverage, this allows them to keep the ball in bounds and the clock running, while also preventing a deep shot downfield

depends on what definition of "prevent" you are using. We just happen to march down the field and score, but couldn't do it all game. We were down by 13 and scored with 1:37 left. They were in prevent. What makes you think they were in cover-2 man? Because they looked like they were lined up that way? Anyone can line up with two deep safties and the corners bump them. They gave us the middle. They took away deep long passes and kept us in-bounds.

Ahem. Our longest drive of the day was in the first half, when we started on our own 23. Also, Campbell's two longest passes of the day (23 and 35 yards) were in the first half. We were also averaging over 12 yards per completion over the course of the game. Just sayin.

so, did he score in the first half? He had two good passes in the first half. Welcome to the NFL.

depends on what definition of "prevent" you are using. We just happen to march down the field and score, but couldn't do it all game. We were down by 13 and scored with 1:37 left. They were in prevent. What makes you think they were in cover-2 man? Because they looked like they were lined up that way? Anyone can line up with two deep safties and the corners bump them. They gave us the middle. They took away deep long passes and kept us in-bounds.

-Ok, they just lined up with two deep safeties, played man coverage, and allowed the middle of the field to be open... call it whatever you want, I've heard this defense is known as cover-2 man

-Prevent is a defensive play, where literally everyone just drops back like 30 yards and all you do is protect the deep ball, give up anything underneath and so on... The Giants weren't in this defense

-Don't get confused though, I don't think Campbell found some magical formula to beat the G nats d in the 4th qtr, I think the Giants D was playing it safe... They were doing it in a cover 2 man though, not a prevent.

most completions are that. Yards per attempt is what stat is more common.

More common, yes. More relevant to this discussion, no.

Our longest drive of the day, which included our two longest passes of the day, were in the first half. To claim that we were only moving the ball against the Giants when they were in a non-prevent "prevent" defense is bunk.

We were moving the ball very well through the air throughout the whole game, not just the final drive. We just happened to not commit any incredibly stupid, drive-killing mistakes on that drive.

. They gave us the middle. They took away deep long passes and kept us in-bounds.

I watched the same game you did apparently.

The Giants defenders played off the receivers a few yards, let the catches happen and made easy tackles in bounds.

I have no idea how anybody can not see this. Stating anything else just embarrasses yourself. It was obvious that they let plays happen so they could tackle and watch the time run off the clock.

It's a part of playing to win. I know, it's alien to us Redskins fans since it's in complete defiance to playing not to lose but it is a valid defense up by 2 scores after the same plan got you the lead in the first place.

You play to win. The Redskins don't. End of story.

so, did he score in the first half? He had two good passes in the first half. Welcome to the NFL.

Here's how the progression went:

Bingo. Why else would Jason suddenly be able to throw 10 yard passes to wide open receivers all the way down the field, when he couldn't for the first 58 minutes of the game?
Ahem. Our longest drive of the day was in the first half, when we started on our own 23. Also, Campbell's two longest passes of the day (23 and 35 yards) were in the first half. We were also averaging over 12 yards per completion over the course of the game. Just sayin.

I was pointing out that he was able to throw 10 yard passes to wide open receivers all the way down the field in the first half, and pretty much throughout the whole game. Whether he threw TDs is irrelevant to what I was trying to point out. Thanks for trying to change the subject though.

Want me to calculate what our average completion yardage was in the first half to further prove that we were moving the ball very well through the air?

EDIT: I went ahead and did it anyway. He was averaging over 14 yards per completion in the first half, even including the screen to Moss that lost 2 yards. Hopefully this disproves the claim that we were only able to pass on the Giants on that last drive.

First off genius, what are you trying to prove? I called how we would call it in college.

And to be precisely correct, it is Cover 2 man under, but we're talking semantics at this point. You leave out the under, I'll leave out the cover together we have a technically correct call.

But as Bubba's link seems to show NO they were not in prevent defense

For an example, though I didnt attend Michigan, but here ya go:

http://www.umvarsityblue.com/tag/kevin-koger/

Why it Worked

First things first, if your receivers are able to get open against man coverage, this is an effective play call against 2-man-under defense. Considering Wisconsin had a nickel corner lined up in press coverage against a TE, Koger should be able to get open, the question is whether he’ll be able to maintain that separation. With his athleticism, Koger is able to defeat the defender down the field.

And from Urban Meyer's Utah playbook:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:DHMP2tXMlMAJ:fastandfuriousfootball.com/collegeoffense/Urban%2520Meyer%27s%2520Playbook.ppt+%22cover+2+man+under%22&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Archived