Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Giants were NOT in prevent D on our TD drive at the end

TheItalianStallion

I mean, he didn't have a Brees day, and even I was *THIS* close to throwing in the towel, but after looking back, he really did do a good job for the most part.

the two plays that swung this game in the giants' favor were campbell's unforced errors that netted the giants 14 points.

thats all that matters.

he threw the ball pretty well, but those kind of mistakes have to dissapear. especially if your a guy fighting for your chance to ever be a starting quarterback in the nfl again.

Pathetic.

You don't like the thread, the facts and so, you write this crap.

Look at Couglin's face as we march down and score.

I'm sure he thought they should give up seven...

Some folks are so blinded by the hate, they can't be objective.

Wonderful.

What is pathetic is that you did not give the Skins a chance to win the game before it started. You stated that you did not expect them to win. I have never in my life believed the Skins were not going to win a game until it was over.

BTW, that Patriots comment was somewhat tongue in cheek and somewhat not. I flew out to that game wore Skins gear all weekend and faced that embarrassment. It was the worst sporting event I have ever experienced in my life.

I always take a giant Skins flag with me to away games that folds pretty nicely because it's thin. After we scored the 7, I brought it out and screamed like we just won the Superbowl. A lady at the game felt so bad for me she gave a hug after the game.

So don't pull this crap about hate. I went to every Skins home game from 1999 to 2002 flying from Los Angeles. I was convinced that we would win the Superbowl when we hired Marty and I planned to go to all 16 games that year. I kept going despite the 0-5 start. I am the last guy that wants the Skins to lose. Taking out anger on a message board about weaknesses on our team does not mean I want anything less than wins.

It always seems like our offense moves the ball so much better when they go to the hurry up and when Jason is in the shotgun. We always gain yardage in chunks and keep defenses on their heels. I know why we don't do it all game or something, but could it really hurt that much to be a little quicker in and out of the huddle, and faster in our execution, or to use the shotgun a little bit more in our regular offense?

yeah. During hurry up it's not just the calling the play and getting it off that seems to happen faster it feels like the team even goes through the play itself faster.

What is pathetic is that you did not give the Skins a chance to win the game before it started. You stated that you did not expect them to win. I have never in my life believed the Skins were not going to win a game until it was over.

BTW, that Patriots comment was somewhat tongue in cheek and somewhat not. I flew out to that game wore Skins gear all weekend and faced that embarrassment. It was the worst sporting event I have ever experienced in my life.

I always take a giant Skins flag with me to away games that folds pretty nicely because it's thin. After we scored the 7, I brought it out and screamed like we just won the Superbowl. A lady at the game felt so bad for me she gave a hug after the game.

So don't pull this crap about hate. I went to every Skins home game from 1999 to 2002 flying from Los Angeles. I was convinced that we would win the Superbowl when we hired Marty and I planned to go to all 16 games that year. I kept going despite the 0-5 start. I am the last guy that wants the Skins to lose. Taking out anger on a message board about weaknesses on our team does not mean I want anything less than wins.

Let me recap:

:yawn:

You didn't say a damn thing about your illogical view of Campbell in this game, which is the hate that Bubba is obviously referring to. That post was a whole bunch of nothing.

the two plays that swung this game in the giants' favor were campbell's unforced errors that netted the giants 14 points.

thats all that matters.

he threw the ball pretty well, but those kind of mistakes have to dissapear. especially if your a guy fighting for your chance to ever be a starting quarterback in the nfl again.

No one's going to argue that the mistakes have to go away, but he did not have a bad overall game aside from those two mistakes, as massive as they were.

It's also not the point of the thread.

Let me recap:

:yawn:

You didn't say a damn thing about your illogical view of Campbell in this game, which is the hate that Bubba is obviously referring to. That post was a whole bunch of nothing.

How is my view of Campbell not logical. He is not capable of beating good teams. He has not done it other than New Orleans as a rookie.

He played a horrible game. With Todd Collins we win by at least 15.

I was one of the ppl on here who said that the Giants were playing softer towards the end and even suggested that it may have been prevent defense. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

No need to apologize. You were right.

Having just re-watched that entire drive.... I'm sorry... but people just don't understand football if you can't recognize that the Giants were playing a soft zone for that entire drive.

There wasn't a single play on that drive where the Giants played man-to-man. Even Randle-El's 2nd pass on that drive he hit a seam in the zone.

That's why the Redskins took a lot of underneath stuff (Moss' curl route, Randle-El's slant pass)... and why Campbell was allowed to run for 16 yards because everyone was covered deep and there was no defensive player on the screen for 10 seconds.

Even Cooley's touchdown was on a zone defense. Just because you're in a zone doesn't mean you don't pick up a guy in your zone. That ball was in the air for nearly 30 yards... that gives the defensive player a lot of time to break on the ball on a player in his zone. That's why it looked like "man coverage".... but it certainly was not.

No need to apologize. You were right.

Having just re-watched that entire drive.... I'm sorry... but people just don't understand football if you can't recognize that the Giants were playing a soft zone for that entire drive.

There wasn't a single play on that drive where the Giants played man-to-man. Even Randle-El's 2nd pass on that drive he hit a seam in the zone.

That's why the Redskins took a lot of underneath stuff (Moss' curl route, Randle-El's slant pass)... and why Campbell was allowed to run for 16 yards because everyone was covered deep and there was no defensive player on the screen for 10 seconds.

Even Cooley's touchdown was on a zone defense. Just because you're in a zone doesn't mean you don't pick up a guy in your zone. That ball was in the air for nearly 30 yards... that gives the defensive player a lot of time to break on the ball on a player in his zone. That's why it looked like "man coverage".... but it certainly was not.

The Giants were playing press cover two for most of that last drive.

The Redskins were playing off cover three for pretty much the whole game.

So is it fair to say that Manning's stats were garbage because we were playing a soft zone?

The safety #41 was a 3rd string safety and the defense knew that we had 1 timeout. Mentally, they were spent and they didn't send any pressure. They had the game in hand and we still suck against the upper echelon teams. I'm sure we'll look like the 2007 Patriots against the Rams, but at the end of the day, we look inferior when compared to the elite NFL teams whether we play them or not. We'll know if this team has grown this season once the Eagles game comes up in a few weeks. Then the real test will come when we have to play the Pokes twice and the Giants, the Saints and Chargers. If we can't get past the easy opponents this is a pointless discussion anyway. We'll see.

Well I'm glad to see that Jason Campbell is back to legendary status around here. Here's a stat that includes every little last second garbage drive score, 17-21.

It's sad when a fan base has given up on winning, or the expectation of victory, and instead squabble like dogs over garbage about whether the QB scored a meaningless TD against a prevent D, in what was a completely horrid defeat. All just to say "I was right".

Well I'm glad to see that Jason Campbell is back to legendary status around here. Here's a stat that includes every little last second garbage drive score, 17-21.

It's sad when a fan base has given up on winning, or the expectation of victory, and instead squabble like dogs over garbage about whether the QB scored a meaningless TD against a prevent D, in what was a completely horrid defeat. All just to say "I was right".

Why do people post things like this?

Anyone expecting us to go from bad to great is insane (yes we were bad last year - not in talent, but in execution).

IF we go from bad to average/good, then I will be satisfied as long as we are headed in the right direction.

Time will tell this season, but IMHO I think we will play better than last year... Improvement in youth and talent is a good thing..

The Giants were playing press cover two for most of that last drive.

Uh, no. Not sure about your X's and O's coach.

First of all, there was absolutely no press coverage. None. Not once. The CB's on the outside played 5 yards off the receiver and simply ran down the sidelines AT LEAST 10-15 yards on each play to protect the sidelines and keep the ball inbounds.

The first 2 plays on the drive... the Redskins were in a 5-WR set with no backfield.

Play #1. All ran deep except the outside LEFT receiver (ie. Betts)... who ran a 7-yard comeback route which he dropped.... with 2 defenders still 5 yards away from him when the ball hit him in the hands.

Play #2. All ran deep except the inside LEFT receiver (ie. moss)... who ran an 8-yard hook route in front of the defender playing off. Tackled immediately after the completion.

Play #3. Short zone. The Giants faked a middle blitz... but only sent 4 because Osi Omenyura was in a short zone coverage.... and had Randle-El in front of him (ie. slant pass) when he made that catch and was subsequently tackled be a linebacker a few yards after that.

Play #4. 3 WR-Set with Cooley and Betts in backfield. Moss and Kelly run go-routes and take CB's with them.... Randle-El (inside left) and Betts run 5 yards outs near sidelines (no coverage because defenders were playing deep off both of them)... and Cooley runs a 10-yard comeback route in the middle of the field 1-yard in front of Pierce who was draped all over him at the time of the throw.

Play #5. 3WR-Set with Cooley and Betts in backfield. Moss and Kelly go deep along the sidelines taking CB's with them.... Randle-El and Cooley run 20-yard post patterns... Betts runs through the lines and curls left taking Pierce with him... leaving Jason Campbell to run right 16 yards with huge real estate in front of him.

There are 2 more plays that I can go into... the next pass to Randle-El and the TD pass to Cooley.

Yes, the Giants's safeties were playing Cover 2.... but cornerbacks and linebackers were dropping back into zones 15-20 yards deep and keeping everything in front of them. That's known as a variation of a soft zone (ie. prevent).

It always seems like our offense moves the ball so much better when they go to the hurry up and when Jason is in the shotgun. We always gain yardage in chunks and keep defenses on their heels. I know why we don't do it all game or something, but could it really hurt that much to be a little quicker in and out of the huddle, and faster in our execution, or to use the shotgun a little bit more in our regular offense?

are we the only people to notice this? :hysterical:

the difference in play is remarkable, he is in rhythm, he looks sharp, and you see results.

hell, you ever see the patriots - i think they pass 75% of the time and like 80% of those passes are out of shotgun ...something ridiculous like that.

joe gibbs when nuts and became a brutal run first team out of two TE's formation when crap wasn't working early on in his career...why can't zorn make a similiar adjustment ...NOTHING ELSE IS FREAKING WORKING! :)

No one's going to argue that the mistakes have to go away, but he did not have a bad overall game aside from those two mistakes, as massive as they were.

It's also not the point of the thread.

sorry, not trying to hijack. it just seemed like the thread was going in the direction of "this drive was more representative of jason campbell's play/potential than the rest of the game."

i made a post more on topic a little earlier.

:cry::cry:I can question anything I want about JC. But don't ever question my fanhood. I live in California and I fly to Redskins games cause I have the funds to do it and the time. I'm the best fan there is.:hysterical::hysterical:

Archived