Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley- Redskins' Zorn won't babysit Thomas

RIPSean

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/7611/redskins-zorn-wont-babysit-thomas

"NEW YORK -- Greetings from Manhattan, where there's been a steady drizzle throughout the afternoon and early evening. I'm about to head over to a famous Giants bar in Midtown to start preparing in earnest for tomorrow's game. But before I do that, let me point you in the direction of something that showed up on The Washington Post's Web site Saturday.

Apparently Redskins wide receiver Devin Thomas told reporters after the third preseason game that returning kicks helps him get into the flow of a game sooner than usual. Seems pretty innocuous to me, but coach Jim Zorn took exception to Thomas' mindset when he was reminded of the comment this week.

"I think it helps a guy to get the ball, but I'm hoping that he can do it ... maybe somebody just has to smack him on the sideline," Zorn said. "You know, something to get him fired up. I don't want to put (additional duties) on a guy to always have (him) ready. He's going to kind of hold us hostage, 'Well, you didn't put me on the kickoff, so that's why I didn't play well.' That doesn't make any sense."

And as we've talked about recently, you're starting to see how frustrated this organization is with Thomas. I had a long talk with quarterback Jason Campbell about Thomas recently. Campbell's very complimentary of Thomas' athleticism, but says that he needs to show more maturity in his approach to the game. I sense that both Zorn and Campbell are starting to lose their patience with Thomas. It's not like those guys have a lot of time to turn this organization around -- and they want all hands on deck."

Interesting. I really thought Thomas would be the one to step it up for us this year but Kelly surprised me and now there seems to be nothing but negativity around Thomas.

I don't really see a problem with what DT said about kickoff returning but Zorn is obviously quite informed on the overall situation with Thomas and doesn't seem too pleased. I hope this is no big deal and tommorrow night we are talking about a DT touchdown, but I don't see that happening.

Does anyone here think that DT has some diva traits? Just all the crap lately with him im starting to see it. It really erked me that he wouldnt sign autos during training camp since he started selling them on his website. Like "P'Oed" said he hasnt done anything at all in this league.

On the other hand I really do like how Malcolm has progressed. He seems to have his head on straight.

This was taking out of context, which seems to be the intent of Mosely. Go watch the video, to get the manner in which coach was speaking. It was no where near as serious as Mosely would have you believe.

Its the 09-11-09 zorn interview on Redskins.com

I know its just an article, and I know its EXTREEEEEEEMEskins and all...but really, lets not jump to conclusions here. We havent even played a single down of football yet, the jury is not anywhere close to being out on Thomas, Kelly hasnt done anything more than him, and we have no idea who will step up this year. Could be Trent Shelton for all we know.

Does anyone here think that DT has some diva traits? Just all the crap lately with him im starting to see it. It really erked me that he wouldnt sign autos during training camp since he started selling them on his website.

I don't like to get this serious about football but... That sickens me. I guess he's just trying to make a buck but that's arrogant and weak. I wouldn't want his autograph for free. Then I'd probably have to throw out whatever he inks when he turns out to be a bust.

Get it going bud. I want to see you succeed and I hate to be a hater but come on man...

Devin Thomas should make for an above average #2 WR next year and beyond.

He's young and bulletproof right now, and not used to not being "the guy" or "the hot young rookie".....

Now it's time for him to perform and since he hasn't performed, his youth has caused him to point fingers.

This will be grown out of in time....it's unfortunate, but it comes with the territory

I love it when people completely overreact to interviews. Thomas saying that he likes returning kicks because it gets him into the game is hardly "Diva"-esque as some of you would like to think. If it had been anybody else you would be saying how great it was that he said it. And if you'd seen Zorn you would realize he didn't really have a problem with it either. :doh:

I agree. Although I'm disappointed he hasn't stepped up as much as Kelly has and seems to be not as reliable from quotes read by both Zorn and Campbell, he simply said that he returning kicks helps him get in the flow sooner. He hasn't demanded or complained about anything. He simply answered a reporter's question.

This was taking out of context, which seems to be the intent of Mosely. Go watch the video, to get the manner in which coach was speaking. It was no where near as serious as Mosely would have you believe.

Its the 09-11-09 zorn interview on Redskins.com

I've found Mosley to be a very fair blogger as it relates to all things NFCE. While this might be the case in this scenario, it's more than obvious to me that the only thing limiting Devin is his attitude/ego and/or his character or lack thereof. I really hope that he can get a little more level headed, maybe falling to 5th on the depth chart behing Lanky might accomplish this :).

Yeah, uh, this is waaaay overblown. I think any kick returner who plays another position would say that returning kicks helps them to get into the game. They're not saying that they wouldn't be in the game otherwise. They just get pumped by additional action.

Non-story.

Archived