Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley- Redskins' Zorn won't babysit Thomas

RIPSean

Absolutely a non-story and non-issue.

Nothing about DT's statement deserves scrutiny (even Mosely says he thinks that as well). And it definitely is NOT him being a "diva".

If DT's comment were taken by itself, without Zorn's comment attached, nobody on this site would have been bothered with what he said. If Thomas had said he likes taking kick offs and that one side effect is that it helps him get into the flow of the game quicker, this thread would be filled with comments like "We need to put DT back there and utilize his speed!"..."Let's have DT do kickoff returns instead of Rock, he's more of a homerun threat!"..."Put the young man in, Zorn!"..."Why did we keep Rock? We should have just used DT back there!"...

But add in Zorn's comments (which are being misunderstood completely here), and it's "What a diva!"..."You haven't done anything yet, Thomas!"..."Just shut up and play! Stop trying to dictate where you play!"...

Is it really THAT easy to manipulate your perceptions?

As someone else already mentioned, watch Zorn's interview on Redskins.com...Zorn's reaction is NOT towards what DT said, it's triggered by the actual question that was asked by a reporter. The reporter basically asks Zorn if, based on DT's comment, he should be thinking about putting DT in as kick off returner in order to help him gain focus. Zorn's response is to the reporter's idea that a player should be used differently in order to get him to "gain focus"...NOT to Devin's actual comment. Zorn agrees with DT that getting hit in the flow of the game gets the adrenaline going and helps put all players in a better game mindset quicker. But the idea that a player can't gain focus almost immediately just by coming off the bench is faulty, and that that type of player the reporter describes would "hold the team hostage". Zorn is finding logic flaws with the questioner's premise, NOT with Thomas' statement.

The whole "smaking DT upside the head on the sideline" comment was said in an almost laughing manner, but still in response to the questioner's premise.

Excellent post! I think you summed it up nicely.

Zorn should go and talk to Monk, and see if he would teach Thomas on how to be a professional football player.Monk's picture is the one you see when you look that up in the dictionary.i always thought they should have done that with westbrook.i hope the do it with thomas before they throw in the towel.physical this guys has it in spades,but his head isn't lined up right.ther's no doubt in my mind that MONk could straighten him out and teacch him how.there's also no reason that the skins couldn't pay him for his time,kinds of like a personal trainer for thomas.i really think it would work,that is if MOnk has the time or is even willing to do it.i believe it would work.hope Zorn reads this and goes for it.MOnk has all ther cred and all the traits that thomas lacks.get MONK in there.

I liked using the shotgun approach two years ago to address our need for weapons. It seemed like using those picks in the 2nd for targets had to turn out at least one receiver that wasn't an embarrassment.

I thought there was about a 65% chance that Devin would work out and a 35% chance that Malcolm would. Looks like I was as wrong as it's possible to be.

Sure, there's still a chance that Devin can grow up and give us all what we wanted -- he has the physical tools. But this team can be great without him, and he's not really giving them much of a choice. I just wish he'd think of it in the same light a normal man...a "real world" man would -- "If I don't get my head straight and give 100% at work, they're going to fire me, I lose my house, I lose my wife, I lose my kids. And even if I manage to find another job, it's going to be for less money lower on the ladder with less chance for advancement." He doesn't seem to realize that this is the only best chance he's ever going to get, and he's peeing it away with his lackadaisical attitude. I will never understand excuse-makers who strive for mediocrity.

DT is getting all the tough love in the world and I think he needs it. I think he has motivation issues, but hopefully he will get it together and be a contributer. He has all the physical talent in the world but he really needs to get his mind right. These quotes were falsely taken out of context but there it is truth to it. He does have a little bit of a undeserved diva attitude to him. He needs a supreme mentor that I dont think is currently on the team. How awesome would it be if Monk reached out to him in the same way that Green reached out to Tryon?

I just wish he'd think of it in the same light a normal man...a "real world" man would -- "If I don't get my head straight and give 100% at work, they're going to fire me, I lose my house, I lose my wife, I lose my kids. And even if I manage to find another job, it's going to be for less money lower on the ladder with less chance for advancement." He doesn't seem to realize that this is the only best chance he's ever going to get, and he's peeing it away with his lackadaisical attitude. I will never understand excuse-makers who strive for mediocrity.

Actually NFL players it seems should be even more interested in doing everything right than the Normal guy.

Look at the difference in the pay they can possibly receive. Normal guy might do well at his job and get 75k instead of 65k. A guy like Thomas is going to get a couple Mil over 4-5 years but if he reaches his potential he's looking at a 50Mil contract over the same amount of years. It's idiotic to not bust your ass for a year or 2 to get there. 20x the pay or more is like a regular dude getting 1 Mil a year for a 50K job because we do it well.

That's why I don't see this guy ever living up to it. He might pull his head out of his ass eventually but it will never be with the dedication he should have had from the first day. He's more interested in the 25 bucks he gets from signing an autograph and seems content to let Kelly start and him return kicks.

I still say that end around he scored on last year against the Giants was one of the most impressive and athletic plays we had on our team the entire season.

I think it's a simple matter of the light bulb not going on the entire way yet for him, but he'll be a classic case of the "3 years for a WR" scenario.

Archived