Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: What I think after that.

Art

I am a big optimist about this season, and agree with most of your points except that I expect success and do not just hope for it. Mainly because I think only serious injuries to key guys will keep us from winning the division this year.

All the concerns about whether or not this team will revert back to last seasons ineptitude will be the direct result the health of those key players. As long as key players stay healthy we will win 11+ games, we just have too much healthy talent on both sides of the ball.

Zorn would have to be insane to stop calling the deep balls this year and JC would have to REALLY horrible to miss throws to a 6-5 Kelly when he has time to throw it. Also JC despite his detractors HAS to have gotten better this year, yeah he showed it in the NE game, but can he keep it up? You would have to think so, since he has had a whole off season to make improvements and all his targets are healthy and ready to play in this system. An elite QB he will never be, but you would think he would be able to make most throws with bigger receivers and some time.

I can't see this changing only as a matter of choice or ability from either of them.

Even with that being said IMO we should throw deep always no matter who is injured just to keep defenses honest. If it gets picked off, big deal, at least teams know we will toss it up.

I also think we will make the playoffs no matter what happens.

BTW welcome back art, always more fun at ES with you posting.

Look at the comments of Kendall and Samuels. His own O-line last year have said... and I paraphrase. "The whole Offense was frustrated. We wanted to do much more, but Zorn wouldn't put it in because Jason couldn't handle it." JC seems to have a hard time grasping the mental aspect of the game. If you can't do that, then all the physical tools in the world do not matter.

~Cheers

I think you might be missing a bit of something here. Why is it that rookie QBs and rookie WRs don't make an impact in there first several years (typically). It's because it takes time to learn the passing game of a new offense. Passing is all based on timing. Getting a feel for a WR's speed. Recognizing when and where the WR will break. Taking the appropriate drop from center. There's a ton of material to learn. Linemen and running backs have a much easier time. Running is running, and blocking is blocking. There's really no difference between a handoff in WCO and a more vertical offense. I know you're tired of hearing the excuse, but it doesn't make it any less true. Jason has had to learn a new offense every year he has been here. This is the first year where he has the opportunity to show whether he's progressed or not. If he shows no improvement or even minimal improvement, then I think it's time to move on.

Art, very well written and thought out post. I agree with you 100% about Campbell and Zorn. I, however, am lacking on the hope side. It may be so many years of having my hopes shipped backed to me from FedEx, broken and unrepairable, or my belief that we have seen the best of Jason and what he can do for us. Whatever it is, my hopes for the team have only been this low going into a season once in 27 years, but I'll take that year since Spurrier left at the end.

Nice Read. Art,

that we have no legitimately proven No. 2 receiver

Do you think Kelly is capable of doing this in 2009 ?

I suspect this is because Campbell throws a horrible deep ball.

I'll never forget the Moss overthrow in the 20-12 win in Philly. That was horrible. People seem to discard these inaccurate deepballs too easy. We can't leave 'open' TD's out there, we don't score enough points to miss out when the chance arises.

The team has a defense capable of limiting most teams and possibly capable of changing games for the first time in some time, though, watching Troy Polamau last night, you can't help but see the difference between a legitimate play maker and game changer and the guys we have.

I 100% agree with this on both sides of the ball. We don't make the plays that count (often enough). Certain keys play invariably influence close games. Gotta be on the right side of those plays.

Welcome back Old Buddy!

Yep, Campbell hits just enough deep passes where you still have to respect him, a la the Saints last year. You have to go deep to prevent cheating. If Moss or one of the other guys is open enough, even a slightly underthrown pass can be completed. The point is to keep the secondary honest, and HOPE the linebacker's drop back too far or not far enough.

Lol you boys and your MMORPG's. How do you find the time?

Lord Lokinder ... classic. HA!

Time is the problem. I have time sometimes, but to be good at that game you have to be there. I might play again if 20 of us decide to share 10 villages and we join a new world at the same time to assure a mini-cluster. Otherwise, no :).

Time is the problem. I have time sometimes, but to be good at that game you have to be there. I might play again if 20 of us decide to share 10 villages and we join a new world at the same time to assure a mini-cluster. Otherwise, no :).

I still can't believe how successful we were in the beginning! We were feared and respected!

I've got my Linux server up. Apache going on tonight. MySQL going on tonight. Eventually, I'll make a better game. At least from an engine standpoint. PHP/MySQL is reasonably straightforward. But, the HTTP and graphic thing is going to be a struggle.

You should not have left yourself a loophole, you will end up with villages before you know it.

That being said, you go back, I go back, just say the word.

Good post, Art, I agree with everything you said. I've always been of the opinion for as well as JC's deep balls look, they never seem to be put in the spot they need to be, which is troubling. Hopefully it will get straightened out as he starts to throw more of them.

And on the TW side of things, if Loki comes back I'll play again; the 2 people per account thing would be ideal, though.

I'm pretty much on the Zorn skeptical list as well. I think he has good enough ideas and probably has a decent enough clue, he just can't make adjustments to save his live. Or maybe its just stubbornness.

Either way, if we lose 2-3 in a row will he try something different? Or even in the 2nd half of a game? That's the main reason Gibbs is in the HOF. He probably wasn't the most motivating guy around but he could switch up the gameplan and find ways to beat teams that nobody had thought of before.

Good read Art, JC and this offense showed the signs they can burn even the best defenses. When Zorn opened up his playbook and got JC and his receivers involved, he opened up another door to a whole different team.

We been waiting for receivers and the play of JC to step up, but that was impossible until our play book and play calling stepped up. This offense we seen late preseason could be a scoring machine, and we know with our defense, all it takes is mid 20's to win another Super Bowl.

I think along the line in training camp and preseason, coach Zorn found what it takes to win in this league, and that is confidence in your QB and team. If this team stays attacking on both sides of the ball, the NY Giants will be the first of many victims who fall to this team.

Archived