Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: What I think after that.

Art

Nice post Art. It is funny to me that Joe Gibbs drafter Campbell specifically for his ability to throw the deep ball (or the apparent talent to do so that with coaching would become very good), yet Zorn did not allow Campbell to throw deep (or did not see the same talent Gibbs saw).

I think Zorn did not have the luxury of throwing deep last year due to the poor line play that would not allow any deeper routes to develop (longer the route the more time it is needed to develop).

I'm pretty much on the Zorn skeptical list as well. I think he has good enough ideas and probably has a decent enough clue, he just can't make adjustments to save his live. Or maybe its just stubbornness.

Zorn seems like a cool guy, sort of new agish, lots of hobbies, likes to travel, mountain bike, reads mystery novels, etc. When he was hired I recall reading he said he didn't want to work late nights in the office and wanted to get home around 7 ish.

Maybe I am used to Gibbs I who was a single minded obsessive workaholic -- but yeah I wonder with all the hats that Zorn wears with this team he's stretched too thin, especially if he's trying to manage it all and still try to have a balanced life.

I recall reading an article about Dick Lebeau last year, that even now in his 70s he works to the wee hours of the night game planning. It just makes me wonder if Zorn is the guy to win a battle of wits with the league's defensive masterminds?

Zorn didn't seem very organized on game day when it came to time managment, etc. Some observers said that he also did poorly at making in game adjustments.

I am of course not around the park, so heck maybe he is working to the wee hours of the night and is obsessive about game planning or he doesn't need to becuase he's so sharp -- if so the media doesn't talk about it.

You read that Belichick is obsessed with studying the tendencies of his opponents and quizzes his players mercilessly in preparation for games. Is Zorn the same way, I wonder?

I was really excited to see Campbell finally throwing deep in preseason, even if he did suck at it.

Then I heard him whining after the game about how Zorn made him do it and it hurt his completion percentage. He made it seem like he doesn't want to go long, but he only did it because it was preseason.

You read that Belichick is obsessed with studying the tendencies of his opponents and quizzes his players mercilessly in preparation for games. Is Zorn the same way, I wonder?

I seriously doubt he spends much time obsessing about tendencies. If so wouldn't we have attacked obviously bad pass defenses like Seattle, SF, and Cincy.

I think he is more of a "What we do works"/Norv kinda guy. That might work when running the ball with Riggins behind a line that averages a 30-50 lb advantage over the defense. Not so much when your OL needed help from an extra 1-2 blockers in the pass game much of the time when they were all 3-4 years younger than they are now.

Gibbs at least substituted an option or 2 to ensure the QB could do what he was asked to do. Has Zorn done the same thing? Or did he just decide to ditch anything 10+ yards past the LOS in the pass game? The OL is healthy now, so maybe he will try some deep stuff. What about when we lose Thomas or 1 of the other guys. It always happens.

Nice post Art. It is funny to me that Joe Gibbs drafter Campbell specifically for his ability to throw the deep ball (or the apparent talent to do so that with coaching would become very good), yet Zorn did not allow Campbell to throw deep (or did not see the same talent Gibbs saw).

I think Zorn did not have the luxury of throwing deep last year due to the poor line play that would not allow any deeper routes to develop (longer the route the more time it is needed to develop).

I agree with this, I'm no JC apologist, but I think we were running the ball so well in the first half of the season, that we didn't need to take many (if any) deep shots. Once our OL started breaking down, teams started stacking the box and shutting down CP and dismantling any semblance of pass protection, and it was the same old song and dance.

here's to hoping we get some plays over 30 yards ... I don't mind the int's on deep balls. Just freaking go for it for pete's sake!

Archived