Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: What I think after that.

Art

Hello all. It's been a while, so, I'll provide the most insight possible in the longest, most boring return post ever, because that is my nature.

Being a fan of a team ultimately means hoping for the best for that team. Legitimate concerns over depth issues on the offensive line (Samuels goes down, we will struggle), that it took more than a year for Zorn to appear to understand that Campbell needed more deep pass plays called, that Rogers won't return to early 2008 form, that Blache won't allow a potentially great defensive line to turn it loose and generate more pressure, that we have no legitimately proven No. 2 receiver, that whatever, doesn't override the fact as fans we seek reasons to believe the team we like can be successful.

Fortunately for us, that hope is not entirely wishful thinking. The Redskins roster is a talented one with great balance in terms of having high quality, top-level players across every level. Other than QB we can legitimately point to having legitimate top players along both lines, linebacker, corner, safety, tight end, receiver and running back.

We know we have a good defense, one with key additions and good depth (less good at backer of course) that is playmaking ability from entering an elite level. Offensively we have pieces, but, so little tangible reason to believe it'll be better.

I'm a Zorn and Campbell skeptic. It infuriates me when Phil Simms comes in here and Zorn appears to reveal to him the eureka that after watching how easily Campbell threw a deep ball the week before he realized he had to work more in. Sheesh.

Frankly this is somewhat concerning that Zorn didn't appear to realize his QB needed more than he was given last year. I suspect this is because Campbell throws a horrible deep ball. You've rarely seen a player throw a deep ball that is so clearly a prayer as often as Campbell throws his deep passes. But, while Campbell just never has shown great deep passing ability -- note, his passes go far, and often look pretty, but are widely inaccurate -- the fact is he has shown one significant ability.

He throws a GREAT intermediate ball. But, to get those routes open, you have to make the defense believe you'll challenge them deep. A fair short ball -- bad on slants, good on flats -- coupled with a horrid deep ball will put pressure on the defense from front to back opening the middle areas where Campbell is money.

Against the Patriots it was encouraging to see how often we threatened them down the field. There was little scheming by the Patriots, but it was clear in a straight man on man measure, our offense was talented enough to outman their defense. Again, scheme will make the difference, but, they couldn't cover our receivers or generate any real pressure when the game was simple on both sides.

This game, being the most meaningful, is the most meaningful to all of us. Campbell showed things he didn't show much of last year. He dropped back and threw the ball ON time. Several times. Jason has an irritating trait where he hits his step and seems to pause for just half a breath. It's that breath that spells doom for an offense like Zorn's. But, for the first time in a game that KIND of tells you were your team is, he dropped back and threw the ball to receivers who were still showing him his back.

On that one ball knocked down by Thomas you can see the impact this has. Throwing an intermediate out to a covered, HIGHLY covered receiver is dangerous. Yet, when he released that ball, as it was in flight, you saw Kelly begin to turn out and the defender lost two steps. The timing on that would have looked like a WIDE open receiver had Thomas not made a big play. The timing on that throw, and half a dozen others in that game is what makes an offense efficient and good.

Again, with no real scheme to work against, it was impressive to see Campbell made almost every throw in that game to the right person. Not once did we throw into double coverage. He always found the singled man. I suspect when a team starts getting complex on him it'll be less impressive and more hit and miss, but, for so long I watch games we play and wonder how come we NEVER seem to have a guy in man coverage when we do take shots. Against the Pats, I wondered how come everyone seemed to be.

Our offense can only be good if Zorn actually follows through on calling more plays that highlight the one GREAT thing Campbell has, which is an awesome middle ball. It can only work if Campbell can consistently drop back and throw the ball, trusting his player will be where he's supposed to be before he can see it happened. Campbell has never been as bad as Patrick Ramsey with throwing the ball before a route had fully developed, but he's never been great with his anticipation. This, we hope in Year 2 of Zorn, is due to constant change in his QB life.

The Redskins don't have an overwhelming schedule that scares you.

The team has a defense capable of limiting most teams and possibly capable of changing games for the first time in some time, though, watching Troy Polamau last night, you can't help but see the difference between a legitimate play maker and game changer and the guys we have. Landry is every bit a superior physical speciman. But you NEVER see him taking over a game. Not yet. You watch Reed or Polamalu or Sean Taylor that last season, and you saw players who took games over and were constantly everywhere. The Redskins lack that quality defensively and until the find it won't be the elite defense their stats often hint they can be.

Offensively we have talent. The offensive line, before getting hurt and having teams suprassing Zorn in scheme last year, was whispered as among the game's best half way through. The offensive line IS one of the game's best with the starters in the game playing. Though it is a worry with depth and a serious concern if Samuels is limping through any games, it is a line capable of being one of the better there is. Moss is still explosive and difficult to handle, but needs one of the young, talented receivers to pull pressure off him and allow ARE to be in the slot. Portis is Portis. He'll go for 1300 if he's normal or slightly off. He'll go for 1600 if the offense is legit.

Cooley is the game's top tight end with yards after the catch. He keeps teams honest inside. The team will go as Zorn's growth and Campbell's comfort allows. The team is an 11-5 or better team if those two are something they weren't last year. If Campbell throws on time and Zorn puts pressure down the field on defenses this team is very interesting.

Now, do I THINK Zorn is good enough or that Campbell is consistent enough? No, not really. I hope for it. And that, for me as a fan, is the thing that makes this year exciting. I have legitimate hope that is not entirely crazy hope.

I find myself somewhat in agreement with "experts" who suggest the Redskins could be the best last-place team in the league, one capable of winning other divisions or being second in most at worst. The Redskins are not likely to be bad with that defense and probability that the offense can't be quite the horrid thing we saw most of last year. They are only likely to be good if the glimpses we saw against New England are real.

Hoping to be around regular again throughout the season, so, talk later.

Frankly this is somewhat concerning that Zorn didn't appear to realize his QB needed more than he was given last year. I suspect this is because Campbell throws a horrible deep ball. You've rarely seen a player throw a deep ball that is so clearly a prayer as often as Campbell throws his deep passes. But, while Campbell just never has shown great deep passing ability -- note, his passes go far, and often look pretty, but are widely inaccurate -- the fact is he has shown one significant ability.

Agree, mirrors his scouting report from 5 years ago.

He throws a GREAT intermediate ball. But, to get those routes open, you have to make the defense believe you'll challenge them deep. A fair short ball -- bad on slants, good on flats -- coupled with a horrid deep ball will put pressure on the defense from front to back opening the middle areas where Campbell is money.

Disgaree on GREAT. It is serviceable at best.

This game, being the most meaningful, is the most meaningful to all of us. Campbell showed things he didn't show much of last year. He dropped back and threw the ball ON time. Several times. Jason has an irritating trait where he hits his step and seems to pause for just half a breath. It's that breath that spells doom for an offense like Zorn's.

On time? You contradict yourself in the sentence following. He was late on several completions where the receivers made him look good. Balls were thrown behind, low, and high. He was always late with his delivery.

Same old Jason, living up to that spot on scouting report from 5 years ago.

Our weakest link by far IMHO is at the QB position. Time will tell if our running game can bail him out again and our solid WR corps can make him look half-way decent this year. What bothers me most is that the EXCUSES have already started again in the press. Lawd have mercy Jason.

Now, do I THINK Zorn is good enough or that Campbell is consistent enough? No, not really. I hope for it. And that, for me as a fan, is the thing that makes this year exciting. I have legitimate hope that is not entirely crazy hope.

Great read Art. I think about how it felt when Gibbs first year went so poorly and I believe that yes, Zorn can do it.

Irish,

Against New England, Campbell was on time. It was the one thing that stood out in that game because it was so different from any other we've seen out of him. Every so often last year the team would go on this terribly efficient drive after six series of three and out. Usually those pleasing moments were when Campbell would drop and throw. It's rare enough, true. I did not mean to suggest against New England he had that terrible breath trait. I meant to say against New England he did not, but, it is a trait he commonly displays and actually DID display earlier in the preseason.

Though I agree with you that our weakest link, by FAR, is the QB position -- from a personnel standpoint at least as one could argue Zorn overall -- it is not possible to have seen the New England game and NOT recognized how different it appeared as a body of work. Yes, he did throw behind Moss on one quick route on a pass Moss should have caught anyway.

While Campbell was not perfect, and will never BE perfect, if he drops and throws on time like that consistently, he'll cease being the weakness he is and if that happens the team is largely without a glaring problem, save some depth concerns and kicking and apparently special teams coverage :).

Who is this and how did you access this user's account? We all know 'Art' is really Andyman ... or Larry Michael.

Oh, and whoever you are, please ignore FightingIrishman. He can't help it. His parents didn't love him enough as a child and he takes it out on Campbell every chance he gets. The rest of us have already figured out to just click the ignore button on his ignorant posts.

All very well said Art. The above piece is what I liked most.

I have hope that everything works out. That Campbell and Zorn make strides enough that we don't lose any of those stupid games (see the Rams last year) which cost us a playoff spot. If we win the games we should, 1 or 2 we shouldn't, and pull even in the division we'll be in a fantastic position.

I like being able to believe in my team and know they CAN do it. It should make for a fun year as a fan. Exceeding expectations is always a good time.

Awesome read... I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Campbell has a beautiful deep ball. Perfect spiral, yet is a little short or a little long. Id rather him over throw it everyday rather than under throw. I think back to last year Giants game at Fed Ex when he went deep to Randle el and under threw it. Interception.

Campbell needs to throw the deep pass against the Giants early and often. Try to get Kelly and even Devin one on one and chuck that ball out there. Heck a pass interference call is a catch in my book.

I can finally say Campbell has no more excuses. Get it done and get a new contract. I want him to be the QB of this team so go out there and DO IT... JUST DO IT.

Good post again

Art,

I see what you are saying, and I agree JC had a decent game against NE. He did throw behind Kelly and high to Thomas and low to Randel El though. To me that is a product of being late on delivery and release. On the spectacular catch that Moss made down the sidelines.... well that was all Moss. That ball was way late on a routine pattern in single coverage. After the first good drive, 3 - three and outs. Uggggg. It is painful to watch JC play.

My main problem is consistency and accuracy is a close second. Both of those point to slowness in his game imho.

Look at the comments of Kendall and Samuels. His own O-line last year have said... and I paraphrase. "The whole Offense was frustrated. We wanted to do much more, but Zorn wouldn't put it in because Jason couldn't handle it." JC seems to have a hard time grasping the mental aspect of the game. If you can't do that, then all the physical tools in the world do not matter.

~Cheers

Who is this and how did you access this user's account? We all know 'Art' is really Andyman ... or Larry Michael.

Oh, and whoever you are, please ignore FightingIrishman. He can't help it. His parents didn't love him enough as a child and he takes it out on Campbell every chance he gets. The rest of us have already figured out to just click the ignore button on his ignorant posts.

What's your problem? At least Art writes stuff worth reading. Leave the personal out of it.

Look at the comments of Kendall and Samuels. His own O-line last year have said... and I paraphrase. "The whole Offense was frustrated. We wanted to do much more, but Zorn wouldn't put it in because Jason couldn't handle it." ~Cheers

Pssst:secret:...quotation marks are for quotes; not interpretations.

Art, does it make sense that if Jason has a good year throwing deep he will make life easier for the OLINE, as the linebackers will not be able to rush in like they have in the past because his deep throw will freeze them, and put them in two minds wether to support the safeties and corners....not sure if thats how it works. also would the deep threat mean more running yards becuase the linebackers would have to hang back a bit in case, sorry if you find my questios inane but i really dont understand fully this part of the game

It's true Zorn wouldn't put some things in. It's partially true it was because of Jason. It's partially true it was because the offensive line was collapsing too. :)

That is what a coach is suppose to do - adjust the game plan to the abilities of the personel.

Good read Art.

However, I think our weakest link is PK.

:helmet: The Rook

I did say paraphrase, and that is pretty dang close.

'You wanted to do this then' or at least should have ;)

Art,

Do you think Zorn was struggling last season because of a variety of reasons such as first time OC/HC, no coaching staff to bring with him, breakdown of OL or do you just think Zorn hasn't got what it takes?

I really like having Jim Zorn as our Head Coach. My only issue with all the guys we've had involved with JC is that none of them play him in the Shotgun enough. I did a search in google of "jason campbell deep pass video" (because I feel I 'know' he can make deep passes look easy so needed to find out why I 'knew' and

the top of the list. Jason can make deep throws, from the Shotgun.

Jason should start in the 'Gun and let him get into his rhythm then Zorn can start calling the game from the full play book. Arguably we didn't have the WRs to that last season. This season is a whole new ball game.

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing. Must be some basic concept of the game that, as an Englishman not brought up playing the game, I don't understand. And yet whilst acknowledging Bellicheck/Brady it works for the Pats....

Art, does it make sense that if Jason has a good year throwing deep he will make life easier for the OLINE, as the linebackers will not be able to rush in like they have in the past because his deep throw will freeze them, and put them in two minds wether to support the safeties and corners....not sure if thats how it works. also would the deep threat mean more running yards becuase the linebackers would have to hang back a bit in case, sorry if you find my questios inane but i really dont understand fully this part of the game

I touched on this in the bombs over Baghdad thread. I don't think Campbell has to have a good year throwing deep. I think he has to throw deep. It has to be a legitimate concern the defense has to account for each week. They have to know we will go over the top. They have to believe it and train their safeties not to cheat up as in years past. Doing that will lead to the one thing Zorn wants.

An efficient short game. It will make teams keep our guys in front, but give our guys room. It'll also make teams force our hand by blitzing and pressuring us, which puts our receivers in position to make a short catch and break a tackle for big plays while also creating lanes for Portis to run in.

If we get the league believing we are a deep passing offense by displaying that we are doing that, Portis will have a number of explosive runs. Think the start of last year plus some as far as explosion.

Last year, linebackers held back a bit because they knew we were throwing into the 5-10 zone and when we ran, they could lower the boom.

Only by forcing them to attack the line do you really create great running lanes. That or by having extremely athletic offensive linemen who can get to the second level and create gaps between the defensive line and backers. This is not exactly what we do well :). Thus, we want to force teams to pressure us to create explosive opportunities.

Our line IS good enough, if healthy, to make this work. If it starts to break down physically, things will get ugly quick.

'You wanted to do this then' or at least should have ;)

Art,

Do you think Zorn was struggling last season because of a variety of reasons such as first time OC/HC, no coaching staff to bring with him, breakdown of OL or do you just think Zorn hasn't got what it takes?

I really like having Jim Zorn as our Head Coach. My only issue with all the guys we've had involved with JC is that none of them play him in the Shotgun enough. I did a search in google of "jason campbell deep pass video" (because I feel I 'know' he can make deep passes look easy so needed to find out why I 'knew' and

the top of the list. Jason can make deep throws, from the Shotgun.

Jason should start in the 'Gun and let him get into his rhythm then Zorn can start calling the game from the full play book. Arguably we didn't have the WRs to that last season. This season is a whole new ball game.

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing. Must be some basic concept of the game that, as an Englishman not brought up playing the game, I don't understand. And yet whilst acknowledging Bellicheck/Brady it works for the Pats....

I agree Jason CAN make deep throws. Every QB can. Hell, I could, every so often :). He just throws a deep ball that is so spotty as to make it difficult to take seriously. Now, around the 40-yard range (from spot of throw) it's not too bad. After that it is reasonably rare he drops it in too well.

I would agree with you that putting Jason in the gun a LOT would be a good thing to do. The main thing missing from last year's offense though was what so frustrated Zorn. He KNOWS the system works. It does. He knows it works when you execute and you only execute when you drop and throw. There can be no hesitation. He couldn't get Campbell to do that last year, and he couldn't adjust to anything else.

The fact he now realizes he has to put more deeper throws in the game plan is a good sign. It means he is realizing Campbell will never be Brady. He'll never throw with great anticpation. Thus, he has to create some space for him by forcing the defense to be afraid of something. This could give us the operating room we need.

Archived