Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com now reporting Colt to be put on IR.

bubba9497

In terms of roster management, this doesn't make any sense to me. Colt on IR means Colt can't practice... period. I don't know if even one-on-one with positional coaches after organized team practice is ok. Chase to PS, Colt as #3 gets the best of both worlds. Both guys can participate in weekly practice.

Unless the Skins really think Chase would get snatched onto a roster once the QB injury dominos start falling...

found it:

Seventeen years ago (1991) the third-quarterback rule was instituted to enable teams to have an emergency quarterback available who was not on the 45-man game-day active roster, since many teams, for strategic purposes, only carried two quarterbacks on their game-day roster.

Everybody thinks they understand the NFL's "third-quarterback" rule. But do they?

The rule states that if a third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.

Another aspect of the rule is sometimes misunderstood. It is a coach's decision as to whether a third quarterback will be used.

The active quarterbacks do not have to be injured for a team to use its third quarterback.

So if Campbell and Collins both get injured then a third QB who wouldn't count against the 53 man can be used. But the other two QBs have restrictions on when they can re-enter the game, but if both are knocked out of the game then its no problem....

];6710241']So long as Colt recovers' date=' this could be very good.

This gives him another season to learn our system, while still allowing us to develop Chase.

Collins is Campbell's backup anyways, so we're not losing too much. Plus, if we were to see Colt playing this season anyways, it would probably be because the season was gone anyways.[/quote']

it would not give colt another season in the offense. If placed on IR, colt would not be allowed to practice at all with the team....

I honestly don't care which of the 2 is #3, so long as we somehow keep both of them until next year.

C-squared has about $5 worth of trade value between the both of them right now and no matter how Jason plays I think there's a pretty big chance that he's gone at the end of the season (either by his choice or ours). Soooooo, keep both kids and let them fight it out in camp next year, be it for a #2 spot or a legit #3 spot. Hopefully at that point, with 2 and 3 years of experience, one will show real potential and development and we won't have to spend yet another draft pick (or 10) on a leftover quarterback.

This is a very well thought out post.

TC isn't going to last forever, JC might/might not be here, and neither are ready to play. So, flip a coin, one spends the entire year on the inactive list, the other on IR, and we're done.

btw, I think BLC is right, no practicing if you're on IR.

However, Gibbs won a bunch of SBs by stashing people away on IR.

Would be an interesting move.

I'm not sure what the reaction of the Cult would be. But I'm not going to stir the pot.

I would expect "Oh, poor Colt, he had the job then got injured and he'll win the job next year" as the predominant thought. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting to see if this completely unconfirmed rumor is true.

What is the criteria for IR? I mean, if he isn't hurt that bad, can they really do this?

To answer my own question... yes they can...

NFL rules

A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list ) who, due to injury, is "not immediately available for participation with a club". These players may not practice or return to the Active List in the same season that they are placed on injured reserve.

IMHO this would be a good move. This way we can keep both these young QBs for next year and let them battle it out once Todd and maybe Jason are gone.

To answer my own question... yes they can...

NFL rules

A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list ) who, due to injury, is "not immediately available for participation with a club". These players may not practice or return to the Active List in the same season that they are placed on injured reserve.

IMHO this would be a good move. This way we can keep both these young QBs for next year and let them battle it out once Todd and maybe Jason are gone.

Right, so we know Colt is going to miss a couple days of practice, so that might be all they need. Hmmm. Well dug up on the official rule.

Also confirmation that an IR player can't practice with the team.

found it:

So if Campbell and Collins both get injured then a third QB who wouldn't count against the 53 man can be used. But the other two QBs have restrictions on when they can re-enter the game, but if both are knocked out of the game then its no problem....

No, that 3rd quarterback is on on the 53 man roster, but not on the 45 man active game day roster - different things. So its not like you could bring a guy off the practice squad as your 3rd on game day.

This is about as likely as JC being named MVP.

I understand we have some room temperature iq members here, but this is absurd.

Not really. It's actually quite feasible.

But from someone who truthfully believes that Ladell Betts is the savior...well, how could I expect any less?

if colt is seriously injured, the move makes all the sense in the world (taking for granted we see potential in both young QBs), this way they are both guaranteed on the roster next year... if colt is not injured that badly, then I don't understand how this could be true... colt would not be able to practice with the team and we'd be unnecessarily stunting his growth but I can't see colt or his agent agreeing to go on IR unless it was legit... he'd get this year's salary but that's also assuming NO ONE would take a shot at him...

Archived