Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Thomas and Kelly are not snowflakes

themurf

dthomas081809.jpg

photo by Brian Murphy

The moment the Washington Redskins front office opted to select three pass catchers in the same round of the same draft, those individuals knew they would be forever linked.

Should one out of the three – wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly, as well as, tight end Fred Davis – go on to greatness, the story of the other two and their wasted potential won’t be far behind. Should two of them become legitimate contributors at the NFL level, the third player’s name will still be mentioned just as often. Like it or not, that’s a fact.

Honestly, Davis probably has it the easiest of the three, playing a position with more perceived depth than Thomas and Kelly. He can take his time to grow into the role and learn from Pro Bowler Chris Cooley and a blue-collar worker like Todd Yoder. But while Davis is able to avoid the spotlight, the same cannot be said of Thomas and Kelly.

That’s because the ‘Skins have needed a legitimate second option at receiver since Santana Moss came to town back in 2005. And truth be told, the issue was there even before that. When was the last time the Redskins had two wide outs finish a season with at least a thousand yards receiving? Sadly, it was 1999, when Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell each had more than 1,100 yards on the year.

So yeah, this town is more than ready for another breakout performance from a Redskins receiver. We caught up with Thomas and Kelly following the preseason opener. Sure, the team got blown out 23-0. But we were interested in talking with Kelly, who had three catches for 25 yards and Thomas, who started the game and had one catch for 12 yards.

Hey Malcolm, before we get started, we’ve got to talk to you about something. We’ve been telling everyone that whenever we’re at practice, you catch absolutely everything thrown your way. Well, your 13-yard catch against the Ravens, when you had to reach up and pluck a floating Todd Collins pass out of the air, was exactly what we’ve been talking about. So thanks for making us sound like we know what the hell we’re talking about.

(Laughs). “It was just a play where I was coming across and, you know, it’s crazy man, because I like balls like that,” Kelly said. “I know if the ball is down here, we both have a chance for it. I have a chance to catch it and he has a chance to knock it away. When the ball is up in the air like that, I don’t know anyone that’s going to jump up there with me to get the ball. When the ball left his hand and I saw how high it was, I had a smile on my face.”

It’s no secret this team is in desperate need of a big-bodied receiver who can make those tough catches. Are you telling us that’s you?

Click here for the full article.

Good read. The one thing that worries me about Davis is he's never going to get PT. Then when his contract is up he wont wanna sign with us b/c he never plays then he ends up being a top TE for another team.

Also i really hope maybe next season or the season after we can have DT and MK be our top 2 wr's and put Tana in the slot. It would prolong his career and i think he would be unstoppable!!!!

Good read. The one thing that worries me about Davis is he's never going to get PT. Then when his contract is up he wont wanna sign with us b/c he never plays then he ends up being a top TE for another team.

Also i really hope maybe next season or the season after we can have DT and MK be our top 2 wr's and put Tana in the slot. It would prolong his career and i think he would be unstoppable!!!!

Thats not a bad problem to have awesome depth,in case cooley goes down. I have a feeling we will see a few big plays out of davis this year,he just has too much ability to not get open at some point.

well I still don't understand why we drafted the kid. You point is well taken because of the playing time issue. Why draft him if he can't get on the field. it would be like drafting a replacement for Haysworth? Great to have somebody if he goes down or to spell him once in a while but to use a second round pick on a BACKUP. come on!

Still, if Davis is a dud, then he;ll be gone after 4 years. if he's not a dud, then the Skins can franchise Davis for a year and after his 5th year just sign him to a contract. by that time, cooley will be 32 years old and being replaced by a 28 year old.

You’re a professional, and of course you want to play. But the way we see it, if you both do your job, you’re both going to end up on the field …

“Exactly,” Kelly said. “That’s what people have to realize. You know, the more threats you can have out there on the field at one time, the better for the team.”

This is exactly what I was saying in another thread. (studs and duds). I don't think that just because one is "winning" the job as number 2 WR implies that the other is "losing" it. They could both be doing very well and although one person won it, both could have impressed coaches enough to know that they both need more playing time.

We have a ton of threats offensively. If we can spread the ball around we'll be dangerous. Our offensive line is the key to the offense. If they perform, we will be good. If they don't, we won't. Hardly groundbreaking logic, but it's pretty much the truth. Let's hope for the best and see what happens.

We have a ton of threats offensively. If we can spread the ball around we'll be dangerous. Our offensive line is the key to the offense. If they perform, we will be good. If they don't, we won't. Hardly groundbreaking logic, but it's pretty much the truth. Let's hope for the best and see what happens.

I am hoping Zorn mitigates this with a much quicker passing game, which in theory the WCO should facilitate.

Get that ball out of JC's hands super quick. Pass rush doesn't have time to get there

I am hoping Zorn mitigates this with a much quicker passing game, which in theory the WCO should facilitate.

Get that ball out of JC's hands super quick. Pass rush doesn't have time to get there

On pass plays, last season, it almost seemed like our OL was slow off of the football and even on quick three step passes Campbell was under pressure. He needs to have time to throw with a decent pocket and he should be okay. I'm not blaming Campbell's struggles completely on the OL, but it's definitely partly on their shoulders (as well as everyone elses due to drops, poor route running, etc.)

Exactly, then they have to stop bringing the heat because there are actually receivers to cover as opposed to just Cooley and Moss last year. It is no wonder teams brought the house every down.

well I still don't understand why we drafted the kid. You point is well taken because of the playing time issue. Why draft him if he can't get on the field. it would be like drafting a replacement for Haysworth? Great to have somebody if he goes down or to spell him once in a while but to use a second round pick on a BACKUP. come on!

Still, if Davis is a dud, then he;ll be gone after 4 years. if he's not a dud, then the Skins can franchise Davis for a year and after his 5th year just sign him to a contract. by that time, cooley will be 32 years old and being replaced by a 28 year old.

So are you saying it's long term planning?

I really hope they both can step up this year. It would be amazing to have some other receiving threats out there besides Moss and Cooley. It would open up so many more things. I want the season to start now!!

As do I, can't wait for it to start

These guys can be as beast as anyone in the league but with an Oline that can't stay healthy the QB can't stay upright.

Personally, I haven't seen enough from either to say that they'll be good.

Hopefully these guys will be contributing and getting open and giving JC a chance to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

That is the truth. IF the OL holds up fairly well and the Skins can run, with the targets in the passing game getting time, there is no telling how far this team could go. The fear though is that the depth is just not there on OL and when the wear and tear of the season starts getting to them the replacements won't be as effective. The Skins really should be eyeing the waiver wire for another OL or two as upgrades to what they have.

I really think we should put Malcom in for Red Zone situations. Especially for fade routes. Just throw it up there higher than the defender and chances are he'll pluck out of the air for a Touchdown.

He could be a big boost to our red zone offense situation.

Honestly, when was the last time the Skins had a player who they could count on to catch that fade route? I mean, it's been so long that if Kelly does it once this year, I might burst into tears of joy on the sideline.

Archived