Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

I haven't been this excited about a Redskin since Sean Taylor.

Same here.

wow - this guy is amazing!

I already ordered my Orakpo jersey... he is a beast and already he and Haynesworth are making the line better.

Yep...Korea got them made months ago ;)

I've been surprised that some Dolphin fans down here actually have knowledge of him.

Malcolm Kelly is looking more like starter than ever before. I knew he was going to be a special player when we drafted and urged others to give him some time to develop. After seeing him start on Saturday, I know for sure that he will contribute to this offense. Things aren't looking so bad after all. What do you guys think?

p.s. sorry if this thread is a repost.

I love Orakpo but wtf is an Odeon????
Odeon. A building of theater, music, and culture...or a beast from Hades.

Wikipedia:

Odeon, from the ancient Greek Ωδείον (literally "building for musical competitions, from the Greek for "to sing", which is also the root of ode and aoidos) is a name for several ancient Greek and Roman buildings built for singing exercises, musical shows and poetry competitions. They were generally small in size, especially as compared to a full-size ancient Greek theatre.

Odeon, from Greek mythology, was an evil creature that roamed the Earth. He was a mythological monster that is described as having three heads, three tails, and five legs. He was known for rampaging villages in early Greece, and murdering all that crossed his path. Hades used Odeon to carry out his deeds on Earth.

12 other FO teams passed on him. Some of those will already be regretting it IMO. He even looks passable in coverage. We're all gonna ***** and moan about our OL but we need 1st and 2nd rounders there and we couldn't not take Orakpo. Our FO was trying to move up to ensure getting him. Looks like they were right in the talent evaluation if a little off in predicting who Denver etc were after. That we also added Haynesworth and Jarmon makes it easier for all our new recruits as well as our existing players.

I'm hoping Orakpo continues to show improvement in coverage and then when the season starts we rush him every play. Good luck trying to run or pass on our DL/Orakpo :D Wilson looks really good rushing the passer too....

ST didnt start but was still our best player..has RAK got us any points yet?how can he be ahead of ST then?remeber his first Preseason game he had a pick 6..St had 4 turnovers in two preseason games played..Rak has zero..RAk is a beast but better than ST no:(

Funny you say that consdiering that ST didn't even start as a rookie right away and I suspect that RAK will. Take your ST glasses off and appreciate the fact that we migh be witnessing greatness.

Edited by KingGibbs

I love Orakpo but wtf is an Odeon????

You need to become more cultured, my good man.;) Our new D-End combines the entertainment of Greek Theater with the murdering power of a beast from hell. I defy any other NFL player to come up with a combination like that.

I guessed Orakpo would have 5 sacks this season, but if his performance so far is any indicator it will probably be more than that. We just may have a legit pass rush this year :wavetowel

I seriously predict 1 to 2 sacks per game on average.

edit:: maybe even more, I dont know. The guy is a beast

Edited by HA1LV1CT0RY

I don't think I've ever been so excited about our defense.

I bet there are 12 other teams out there that wish they had picked him.

I don't know about that, it's really a question of need. I'm sure the Jets and Lions aren't going to be bothered about it, they needed QB's and got them. We should really focus on two teams. The Chiefs, who decided to take Tyson Jackson #3 overall, and the Bills, who took Aaron Maybin #11. If Orakpo does better than the two of them this season, then I'll bet there will be regret there.

You need to become more cultured, my good man.;) Our new D-End combines the entertainment of Greek Theater with the murdering power of a beast from hell. I defy any other NFL player to come up with a combination like that.

That sounds good to me!!! :gaintsuck

Thank you Phoward for enriching us as always. I hate to nitpick, but don't you think the metaphor fits Jarmon a little better since he was so involved with the theater?

3840 posts since Sept of 2007, Wow that means and avg of 168 posts a month, 5.6 posts a day or 1 post every 4.3 hrs.

"1. Don't use this just to raise your post count. I know there are some out there who seem to think that a higher post count is like some kind of award. It's not."

I don't know about that, it's really a question of need. I'm sure the Jets and Lions aren't going to be bothered about it, they needed QB's and got them. We should really focus on two teams. The Chiefs, who decided to take Tyson Jackson #3 overall, and the Bills, who took Aaron Maybin #11. If Orakpo does better than the two of them this season, then I'll bet there will be regret there.

I'd also add the Broncos, Browns, 49ers, and Packers to that list. The Broncos since they drafted Moreno even though they are making a difficult transition on defense when they already had the 2nd worst one in the league. The Packers because they got a problem child in Raji. The 49ers even more so since their pass-rush is nothing to write home about and now they are stuck with a guy whose rookie season is pretty much over before it started because he was too difficult to sign. And the Browns because they needed a pass-rusher, were in position to get a great one, and instead ended up with a Center. Orakpo drew a lot of negative evaluations from scouts about his ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Figure the Broncos drafted Moreno thinking they'd get Ayers later on, but Ayers has to be an even worse fit for a 3-4 than Orakpo.

Luckily for us Orakpo has shown way more range and aptitude for LB than the scouts gave him credit for. He's flourishing at LB in a 4-3! He absolutely could have done what Shawne Merriman does in a 3-4. It may take a little while, but I bet all of those 3-4 teams in front of us will be kicking themselves for underestimating Orakpo. Anyone of them could have drafted Orakpo and made a good decision. Also thank Oakland for reaching for Heyward-Bey, and thus taking the 49ers out of contention for Orakpo since they honed in on Crabtree.

There was no excuse for Buffalo though. What on earth were they thinking? Yes it's super early but I feel pretty secure in betting that Orakpo is a better 4-3 end than Maybin is. Orakpo is as good a speed rusher as Maybin is and he's way stronger. With Orakpo you have to think that one day, he'll at least have the size to be effective in setting the edge against the run but Maybin doesn't really give you that. He'll always be undersized unless he lets himself get fat.

Wow. What an extraordinary and improbable chain of events that needed to happen in order for Orakpo to fall to us. We might be witnessing a massive shift in football karma.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I'd also add the Broncos, Browns, 49ers, and Packers to that list. The Broncos since they drafted Moreno even though they are making a difficult transition on defense when they already had the 2nd worst one in the league. The Packers because they got a problem child in Raji. The 49ers even more so since their pass-rush is nothing to write home about and now they are stuck with a guy whose rookie season is pretty much over before it started because he was too difficult to sign. And the Browns because they needed a pass-rusher, were in position to get a great one, and instead ended up with a Center. Orakpo drew a lot of negative evaluations from scouts about his ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Figure the Broncos drafted Moreno thinking they'd get Ayers later on, but Ayers has to be an even worse fit for a 3-4 than Orakpo.

Luckily for us Orakpo has shown way more range and aptitude for LB than the scouts gave him credit for. He's flourishing at LB in a 4-3! He absolutely could have done what Shawne Merriman does in a 3-4. It may take a little while, but I bet all of those 3-4 teams in front of us will be kicking themselves for underestimating Orakpo. Anyone of them could have drafted Orakpo and made a good decision. Also thank Oakland for reaching for Heyward-Bey, and thus taking the 49ers out of contention for Orakpo since they honed in on Crabtree.

There was no excuse for Buffalo though. What on earth were they thinking? Yes it's super early but I feel pretty secure in betting that Orakpo is a better 4-3 end than Maybin is. Orakpo is as good a speed rusher as Maybin is and he's way stronger. With Orakpo you have to think that one day, he'll at least have the size to be effective in setting the edge against the run but Maybin doesn't really give you that. He'll always be undersized unless he lets himself get fat.

Wow. What an extraordinary and improbable chain of events that needed to happen in order for Orakpo to fall to us. We might be witnessing a massive shift in football karma.

I agree whole heartedly about all but the Packers. Character aside, Raji looked like a great prospect with the size to hold the point, but also the ability to penetrate.

The niners probably feel the worst right now, but I agree that the Bills will be the ones to feel the worst in the end. Maybin just doesn't have the size to play DE. I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't think that the fact Orakpo signed before the picks above and below him in order to make it to camp was insignificant. He has been a real professional since he signed here, not complaining about a position change, learning his assignments, staying humble, working hard. He seems to have the perfect combination of temperament and talent to be really special.

I really think that Denver ought to have either gone up for Sanchez, or stayed put and taken Orakpo. They could have landed Orakpo, traded down and gotten a DT, and used the pick from the trade down to get Alphonso Smith instead of next year's first. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I also think that given his similar build and athleticism, that Merriman is a pretty good template of what Orakpo could be if we use him the right way, which we seem intent on doing.