Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: 19yr old killed by his own pit bulls

Stricknn

I think pitbulls are are like that whole "extention of your penis" thing.JMO

So what does that mean for ladies like me who own a pit bull?

(FWIW, mine was a stray running around town that I rescued)

It's obvious that I am not a fan of Pit Bulls, but has anyone else that has been around pits notice a strange stare or look that only Pits have in thier eyes?

never seen that and I've been around dozens of pit bulls. The only aggressive ones that I know, were trained to be that way- or the owner didn't do jack **** to train them. (lack of training/socialization is almost as bad as training to fight)

You are seriously projecting your fear.

I myself am not scared of Pits, I do not trust them around my kids. In an effort to talk my former neighbor to get rid of his pit, I went down and pet the dog that ripped the skin off my dogs legs, several times, she was the normal sweet dog that everyone would want. That streak and random aggressiveness that Pits carry as a breed is what every one should be scared of.

One last thing, these dogs attacked thier owner, what does it take for a dog to turn on it's owner?

His facebook page, that is very sad btw has pictures of him holding a Pit as a puppy. I thought these dogs showed loyalty to thier owners?

They were his brothers dogs..but, a dog who is trained to fight or attack- would probably attack anyone.

Find a dog who is well cared for, socialized and trained-who attacks its owner, then we can talk.

Besides, you don't go grabbing dogs who are fighting (assuming that is what he did). That is a sure way to get bit. I've seen it happen. A dog doesn't realize you are it's owner- it just feels someone hitting or pulling on them and reacts.

Something we practiced in K9 training was getting into a ground fight with another person, then hitting the remote opener on the patrol car to let the dog out. You would think that the dog would know who the handler is, and attack the other person. NO- the dog will almost always go for the person on the bottom of the pile- it is instinct to attack the "weakest link." Even my dog- who is loyal as hell and a total momma's boy- came after me during this exercise (dogs had muzzles on). Tons and tons of practice to get them out of it- and even then it's no guarantee they respond correctly in a real life situation.(these are German and Belgian Shepherds, not Pits FWIW)

The ones I experienced overseas were very friendly and like the Rott I owned were trained to extend their paw for a handshake when they heard the word Ciao. They were determine that their bellies got rubbed or scratched.

The ones here in the states seem to be overwhelmingly handled improperly with purpose to fight other dogs.

Sometimes the dog owners are apologetic but most often their first reaction is to proclaim that the dog "doesn't normally behave like this".

my personal favorite, as the dog is showing its' teeth and growling..."oh, don't worry, he won't bite."

i've yet to hear anyone ever say: "run for your life, he'll chew your face off!" but it happens.

and this blank stare, but you can't rally get the feeling of the stare because you are not actually around them.

anyone??? lol

I think I know exactly what you're talking about, but I've had similar experiences with other dogs.

I think the main point that Pit owners are trying to make is that, when well trained, Pits are as aggressive as any other breed. I tend to agree with this. I do think, however, that in the rare case where Pits are aggressive their instincts kick in and they can be extremely dangerous. That said, I still don't understand what people here are debating. Should people not be allowed to own Pit Bulls or what?

The bottom line is, all good owners should be aware that even though their dog is well-behaved and really friendly, they still have the capacity to do some serious damage. They're not humans, and you can't expect them to react rationally in every situation.

I thought it was general knowledge that Pits were more prone to aggressive behavior than other breeds, but eh.

It's also general knowledge that the majority of pit bull owners tend to neglect their dogs & are aggressive natured people.....it's unfortunate because not all of them (the owners) are like that.

Dogs emulate their owners.....plain and simple.

It's also general knowledge that the majority of pit bull owners tend to neglect their dogs & are aggressive natured people.....it's unfortunate because not all of them (the owners) are like that.

Dogs emulate their owners.....plain and simple.

True but that doesn't negate the fact that training does not ensure 100% that a dog won't attack. It can limit it to a great extent but not eliminate the risk.

I think I know the look you are talking about with Dobies, kind of cross eyed looking stare dead square into your eyes as if they are trying to stare you down?

More that I can't read Dobies well,and I'm very good with sensing most dogs moods/reactions....makes me uneasy,which just makes matters worse:silly:

Never had that problem with a Pit,I might not trust their mood but at least I have a good read of it.

First, whoever posted the tag "Dog eat Dog world" is an idiot.

Just read in the news today, a 3 day old was snatched out of it's crib by a Pit and killed.

2009 Fatality: Infant Killed by Pet Pit Bull in Hardy County

http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2009/08/2009-fatality-infant-killed-by-pet-pit.html

3-Day Old Baby

Hardy County, WV -- In a developing story, a 3-day old Hardy County boy is dead after being attacked by a pet pit bull. Sheriff's Department investigators say the boy's mother had put him down for bed Saturday night when she had to leave the room to answer a phone call. When she returned she found the pit bull, who had been given to the family just three months earlier, close to her son along with a mixed-breed German Shepherd, both described as family pets.

"Investigators say the mother tried to back the dogs away and when she moved closer to the German Shepherd the pit bull grabbed the boy from his bed. The mother told police she choked the dog, but it wouldn't let go of her son.

A teenage daughter then came into the room, cornered the dogs and forced them out an open window.

Police say the mother tried to help her son until emergency crews arrived. He died on the way to a helicopter-landing zone.

Both dogs were put down.

The family could be charged with harboring a vicious animal. An investigation continues.

The pit bull was purchased from a relative who lives in Maryland three months ago."

Here are some other links in that same website.

04/25/09: 2009 Fatality: Family Pit Bull Kills 11-Month Old Child in Eastpointe

04/01/09: 2009 Fatality: 7-Month Old Boy Killed by Grandmother's Pit Bulls

03/31/09: 2009 Fatality: 18-Month Old Killed by Pit Bull in Luling, TX

Archived