Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: 19yr old killed by his own pit bulls

Stricknn

Well, obviously, it's either the dog's fault or the human's fault.

We just disagree on whose fault it is.

And one of them should be held accountable, when it involves a significant amount of human deaths.

So if it's the human's fault, as you say, then where is the accountability or at least the OUTRAGE at the humans ?

Whenever a pit-bull kills a person, the PB supporters just brush it off, and say it's the owner's fault.

Well, even if it IS the owner's fault, why just casually brush it off, and act like it's no big deal, and it's just something we have to live with.

It's kind of like how the "peaceful Muslims" don't condemn the acts of militant muslims, and just stay quiet.

A lot of misinformation on your part. (per usual)

Not the least of which is the last sentence. (Which has nothing to do with the topic at hand but you just had to throw it out there)

As I said - I'm no "pit bull supporter" and I certainly don't see a lack of outrage about the event. If you did a simple google search you'd see that many owners get prosecuted for being neglegent in the cases.

I had a bad opinion of pit bulls until recently - but I have seen that they can be very friendly dogs in the hands of a good owner.

It absolutely is.

It's ignorance, and bad dog ownership that turn these dogs into monsters. They may be predisposed to being more aggressive, but men are more aggressive than women....that doesn't make all men killers.

It's actually because of owners who have trained them to fight and who have given them a bad name. It's not because the dog is naturally vicious, hell I don't think any dog is naturally vicious, I think you have to train them to be that way.
Again, the Yahoo answer response I posted is pretty much spot-on.

Extremely bad breeding practices combined with inexperienced/negligent/criminal owners has been devistating to many of these bully breeds.

So, if it is truly on the owners, and not the dogs, then you would think that dog owners would take legal action against apartment communities for discriminating against them. Interesting how we don't hear about that.

Well, obviously, it's either the dog's fault or the human's fault.

We just disagree on whose fault it is.

And one of them should be held accountable, when it involves a significant amount of human deaths.

So if it's the human's fault, as you say, then where is the accountability or at least the OUTRAGE at the humans ?

Whenever a pit-bull kills a person, the PB supporters just brush it off, and say it's the owner's fault.

Well, even if it IS the owner's fault, why just casually brush it off, and act like it's no big deal, and it's just something we have to live with.

It's kind of like how the "peaceful Muslims" don't condemn the acts of militant muslims, and just stay quiet.

The outrage at the humans is there. It's displayed through the vehement defense of the pitbulls. Pit Bull defenders are trying to educate people who don't otherwise understand the breed. Pointing fingers and accusing the humans isn't going to get the point across about the breed itself. It ony makes those who defend pitbulls look like they're looking for excuses. So the outrage at the humans stays to a minimum, in an effort to show that pitbull owners and defenders aren't just blindly pointing fingers with no substance to back it up.

So, if it is truly on the owners, and not the dogs, then you would think that dog owners would take legal action against apartment communities for discriminating against them. Interesting how we don't hear about that.

why when it's just easier to go live somewhere else that will accept your pitbull??

I own a pit/lab mix (his dad is a blue nose and mother a black lab) and I also have a good friend that owns a pit. They are both very calm and obedient and show no sign of aggression to any living thing.

This is a sad story and I don't deny pits can be uncontrollable breeds. But you can't expect to raise a pit the way you raise a Border Collie. Simply banning the breed is ridiculous. Stories like these and other irresponsible owners give pits/roties etc a bad name but what can you do....

You don't hear about it because you don't bother looking.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200907280210/COUNTY090101/907280303

Same goes for when people see my 6 year old German Rotty. She is the most loving dog in the world, and has the best personality. She lays on the floor beside my 6 month old daughter all the time. The pizza man is so scared of her that he won't come on the front porch. One day I told him to let her sniff him and I thought he would wet his pants. She ran out and started licking him, and brought him her ball for him to throw.

Sad part is, when everyone has a mindset as Mick, its hard to change peoples mind. They only want to believe they're vicious and won't let anything or anyone change their mind, even when facts.

Hence the reason I want to meet him/her with my Pitbull to help him/her see what a real Pitbull is like.

Mickalino do you live near or in Northern Virgina?

I will gladly meet up with you in a neutral location so you can meet my dog. I bet you fall in love with her and if for some reason you don't, I'll buy a round of beers at a game.

No, but I might make it up there for a game, or a high school reunion.

Thanks for the offer.

Sad part is, when everyone has a mindset as Mick, its hard to change peoples mind. They only want to believe they're vicious and won't let anything or anyone change their mind, even when facts.

Hence the reason I want to meet him/her with my Pitbull to help him/her see what a real Pitbull is like.

This is just a ploy to get your vicious dog to attack a poor human isn't it??

;)

When I opened this thread I knew there would be someome claiming that fighting and killing is not instinctive to the pit bull breed.

As far as the guy who was killed by his own pit bulls, Darwin has a theory about that.

I believe they were actually his brothers dogs - but it's nice of you to be so sensitive.

I don't really see anyone claiming the first part of your post.

My lab has a natural instinct to jump in icy water after fish and birds - but he can be good for many other things since I choose not to use him for this purpose. Just because pit bulls have an instinct to be more aggressive than other dogs doesn't mean they have to be that way - they just require a committed owner who is willing to take the steps to train them out of their instinct.

Same goes for when people see my 6 year old German Rotty. She is the most loving dog in the world, and has the best personality. She lays on the floor beside my 6 month old daughter all the time. The pizza man is so scared of her that he won't come on the front porch. One day I told him to let her sniff him and I thought he would wet his pants. She ran out and started licking him, and brought him her ball for him to throw.

I'd be scared too. Just ask any UPS driver or mailman. Plenty of people will say "Oh, he doesn't bite!" right before the dog lunges at the person's ankles.

What are people suggesting in this thread btw? Pit Bulls are so terribly dangerous, and a bad breed, so what should we do about them?

Yea, I probably pissed him off so much with my anti-pit-bull commentary, that he wants to avenge me with his dog. :)

I actually never joke about stuff like that, though I just did and shouldn't have. The county is too strict with Pitbulls. A friend has to put a vicious dog outside of his house cause the dog barked at a mailman and someone walking down the road was "scared." I think there would be a real big problem if they ever tried to take mine.

Why? Because someone chose to turn them into being vicious? I can take a Chihuahua and make it attack anyone. Should we not own Chihuahua's? This can be said for ANY and EVERY type of breed.

Every Pit owner says thier dog is the sweetest dog they have ever owned, until they rip a kids face off or kill a person. My dog was attacked by my neighbors pit, the attack lasted for 10 seconds, my dog ended up with 100 stitches. After taking my dog to the vet I went to talk with my neighbor, the dog was sweet, gentle, good looking dog, until it snaps. If I remember correctly there are 15+ people on ES alone that post in the Tailgate as regulars that have been attacked or had an animal attacked by a Pit. I will see if I can find the thread.

Count the number of regulars that have had bad experiences with Pits vs the number of Pit owners claiming thier dogs are the sweetest animal to ever live.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=268571&highlight=pit+bulls

Then why don't we ever hear about Chihuahuas killing people ?

Because they have a hard time breaking your skin.

Why do you always attempt to hijack threads with ridiculous posts?

I thought it was a fair statement, the comparison of a Pit to a Chiuahua is ridiculous in the first place.

Again, the Yahoo answer response I posted is pretty much spot-on.

Extremely bad breeding practices combined with inexperienced/negligent/criminal owners has been devistating to many of these bully breeds.

They have a natural tendency to want to attack other dogs, that trait is hard to break. They are also very protective over family members, which means Johnny the neighbor is rough housing with Pitbulls Human Brother, Johnny the Neighbor is running the risk of getting getting a severe beat down.

I remember talking with my vet when I went to get my dogs stitches out. I was expressing concern for my neighbors 4 kids, he said, I wouldn't worry about the kids, the dog will protect them, I would worry about him (while pointing at my 3 year old son). Keep in mind this pit was 7 months old, a family pet, trained, not abused, had a fenced in yard and seemed nice, until she flipped her lid.

So you combine these sweet family pets with the ability to tolerate massive amounts of pain and the inability to stop themselves after they snap, you have a killer.

I'd be scared too. Just ask any UPS driver or mailman. Plenty of people will say "Oh, he doesn't bite!" right before the dog lunges at the person's ankles.

What are people suggesting in this thread btw? Pit Bulls are so terribly dangerous, and a bad breed, so what should we do about them?

But also people are sometimes too fearful around dogs. You need to be dominate and they will respect you. Being fearful of a dog especially a big one will only make the situation worse.

Because they have a hard time breaking your skin.

I thought it was a fair statement, the comparison of a Pit to a Chiuahua is ridiculous in the first place.

Again, read my next statement to explain that remark.

Nevermind the Chihuahua. You guys just chose to be distracted by that.

I was not implying a Chihuahua could kill a person - it was a semi-sarcastic response to a guy who said he could train Chihuahuas to attack if he wanted to - and my point was, you rarely hear about ANY other dog that kills.

A Pitbull on the other hand is a lot stronger, bigger and has the lock in jaw.

The lockjaw nonsense is a myth.

send those dogs to mike vick... teach them animals a lesson

:doh:

As far as the guy who was killed by his own pit bulls, Darwin has a theory about that.

Slightly misleading title, the victim's brother owned the pits.

You are an idiot. I could really have quoted anything you've said in this thread to make that point but this particular quote was a highlight.

So, your pitbull is nice, therefore, all pitbulls are inherently nice?

Do you guys actually believe that in every case of a pitbull attack, that the animal was trained to be vicious? Tell me you're not that naive.

But also people are sometimes too fearful around dogs. You need to be dominate and they will respect you. Being fearful of a dog especially a big one will only make the situation worse.

It's only natural to be afraid of something that could easily bite a piece of your arm off.

Archived