Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: 19yr old killed by his own pit bulls

Stricknn

Neck bone, Tom the pit snappedd and basically was next to impossible to stop?

This is exactly my problem with Pits, they are to strong, and when they attack, unlike most dogs, they can easily kill if not severely injure most humans.

This just shows your ignorance about dogs, and your preconceived notions of them. Unlike most dogs? You sure about that? Because there are quite a few dogs that would tear you apart if trained to do so. They are animals. They do what they are trained to do.

The dog didn't snap. He did exactly what he was supposed to do- go after another dog. A dog that is trained properly never is a threat. Ever.

I'm sure you would be just as afraid of an aggressive Rottweiler, or an Akita, or a Mastiff, or a Great Dane, or a Chow. But properly trained, these dogs are fine as well.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pitbull-myths.htm

Pit bull myths ::

The black and white debate, "It's the owner, not the breed," has caused the pit bull problem to grow into a 25-year old problem. In 1987, Sports Illustrated wrote a cover story that can still be written today.

"The horror stories involving pit bulls are voluminous. Recent tragedies include the death of two-year-old James Soto, who was mauled in Morgan Hill, Calif., on June 13th by a neighbor's pit bull rendering the child "unrecognizable as a human being."1

1. "It's the owner not the breed"

Poor ownership of a pit bull may exacerbate aggressive tendencies, but the pit bull is still an innately aggressive breed. Pit bulls have been selectively bred since the 1800s for the purposes of fighting and continue to be bred for fighting today. US courts agree that the following breed characteristics of pit bulls are not in dispute: robust strength, unpredictability, tenaciousness (the refusal to give up a fight) and high pain tolerance.2

Perpetuators of this myth also cannot account for the many instances in which responsible pit bull owners are victimized by their dogs. In 2007, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 60% of attacks that led to fatality. Half of these attacks involved a family member and the family pit bull.3

Thanks for that incredibly biased information.

What's this debate about anyway? Of course Pit Bulls are among the most dangerous breeds! Is anyone denying that?

You can't argue because you have no argument.

All I keep hearing is "stupid, stupid, stupid"

I've provided plenty of legitimate arguments in this thread and provided links and so forth to prove you wrong multiple times.

Your inability to acknowledge the arguments and then come back with what can easily be considered anti-Muslim sentiment is a reflection on you - not me.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pitbull-myths.htm

Pit bull myths ::

The black and white debate, "It's the owner, not the breed," has caused the pit bull problem to grow into a 25-year old problem. In 1987, Sports Illustrated wrote a cover story that can still be written today.

"The horror stories involving pit bulls are voluminous. Recent tragedies include the death of two-year-old James Soto, who was mauled in Morgan Hill, Calif., on June 13th by a neighbor's pit bull rendering the child "unrecognizable as a human being."1

1. "It's the owner not the breed"

Poor ownership of a pit bull may exacerbate aggressive tendencies, but the pit bull is still an innately aggressive breed. Pit bulls have been selectively bred since the 1800s for the purposes of fighting and continue to be bred for fighting today. US courts agree that the following breed characteristics of pit bulls are not in dispute: robust strength, unpredictability, tenaciousness (the refusal to give up a fight) and high pain tolerance.2

Perpetuators of this myth also cannot account for the many instances in which responsible pit bull owners are victimized by their dogs. In 2007, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 60% of attacks that led to fatality. Half of these attacks involved a family member and the family pit bull.3

I'll be sure to provide links from http://www.pitbullsarentdangerous.com to refute your points next time.

I've provided plenty of legitimate arguments in this thread and provided links and so forth to prove you wrong multiple times.

Your inability to acknowledge the arguments and then come back with what can easily be considered anti-Muslim sentiment is a reflection on you - not me.

What I said was a fact, NOT a sentiment - and it is a widely known fact.

You choose to distort it for your agenda.

So if you're going to go as far as to grossly mis-interpret that statement as anti-Muslim, then there is really no point in arguing with you anymore

What I said was a fact, NOT a sentiment - and it is a widely known fact.

You choose to distort it for your agenda.

So if you're going to go as far as to grossly mis-interpret that statement as anti-Muslim, then there is really no point in arguing with you anymore

LOL

Facts are easy to prove.

Go find links that PROVE that all, or even the majority, of non-extremist Muslims didn't condemn the actions of terrorists and extremists.

You can prove facts - they don't just exist in your head.

I'm waiting . . .

This just shows your ignorance about dogs, and your preconceived notions of them. Unlike most dogs? You sure about that? Because there are quite a few dogs that would tear you apart if trained to do so. They are animals. They do what they are trained to do.

The dog didn't snap. He did exactly what he was supposed to do- go after another dog. A dog that is trained properly never is a threat. Ever.

I'm sure you would be just as afraid of an aggressive Rottweiler, or an Akita, or a Mastiff, or a Great Dane, or a Chow. But properly trained, these dogs are fine as well.

Everyone, enter the resident expert on dogs.

First off, the lack of paragraphs, made that dudes post tough to read, I just didn't want to be a d head. I missed the part about the dog being bred to fight. So my mistake there.

This is the second time in a Pitbull thread you have called me ignorant about dogs.

Don't tell me I don't know anything about dogs, I have raised several, most of them high strung, I have raised several Jack Russels, a Padderdale (black jack russel), a Pit, and currently have a Boxer/Lab mix(some people confuse her for a pit). I have grown up around hundreds of Jack Russels, my brother in law bred Jack Russels, and Lerchers (grey hound/pit mix) bred for hunting rabbits. You want to talk about an impressive dog, think about a dog that is almost as fast as a greyhound but has the jaws and fight of a pitbull. Have you even heard of a Lercher before?

I have been on several ground hog hunts and have seen the terrier side of Jack Russels, when they want to hunt, they flip the f-out and are pretty much unstoppable. My brother in-law doesn't train them to do this, they just do it naturally. When thier mind goes into hunt mode, it isn't coming out of hunt and kill mode for a couple of hours. In addition, I have seen the same Jacks work in coordination with my brother in laws Harrison Hawks to get kill rabbits, these dogs, knew better than to get aggresive towards the falcon even though the falcon is sitting on the ground in front of them with a squeling rabbit in it's claws.

My pit was one of the most gentle dogs I had ever owned, he had that look in his eyes that all pits have, it makes you feel un easy at times.

I remember trying to get him to kill a mouse that was in my bathroom, he literally licked it to death. He was a great dog, I never underestimated his ability though. I could walk him any where without a leash, in the city, in a park, anywhere, he was a very impressive animal.

I remember a time when my older Jack Russel and Padderdale got into it, the Jack was pissed off at my Padderdale, and didn't want to stop. I could not get him to cal down. Usually they got along with a few minor scuffles. I seperated them, by putting him back in a room, after a few minutes, thinking he calmed down I went back to let him out, he went right back on him. I had no doubt in my mind that the Jack Russel, wanted to kill the Paderdale, It took him about 45 minutes to calm down. The next day, they were back to themselves. This is the same flip side that Pits have, it has nothing to do with training.

Me and my current dog lived with a 150 lb Rotty for two years while in college, he was a massive beast, smart, clumsy and a great dog to be around.

Let me ask you, has one of your dogs ever had, basically all of it's skin ripped off of its legs by a 35 to 45 lb . in a matter of seconds by a 7month old pit bull puppy that jumped a 4'6" fence solely for the purpose of kicking another dogs ass? There wasn't any of the usual butt sniffing, this dog had never met my dog before, this dog was hell bent to kill. As mentioned before I have seen the dog stand at the fence before and eye my dog up, with that Pit Bull stare, however I never worried about it and I should have.

One final point - I look at certain dog breeds like I look at guns. (Without the constitutional right of course)

A breed capable of becoming dangerous should only be in the hands of someone capable of being responsible with it. This includes doing the proper training and socialization along with not putting the dog(s) in situations where problems are likely to occur.

Are you sure about that?

Yeah, that's a load of crap if I've ever heard one. It's just denial.

Dockey you do realize all it takes is some slight screw-up in a dog's hypothalamus and it could go off and attack for no reason and that goes for all animals and no amount of training can stop that.

GoSkins - I came across a Lab/Boxer mix last week while walking my puppy. If you were going to mix two breeds you can't get much better - very nice looking too.

Yeah I love my girl, I got her from the pound as a puppy, she even had her tail cropped. Very strong, stout looking dog, weighing about 75lbs with a alpha type of attitude that can be a pain every now and again. The mix is awesome, aside from the great looks of both breeds, another reason lab/boxer is a good mix is because the two breeds individually are two of the topped ranked breeds to have around children.

What gets me is, even though she is 14, she is a pretty tough and still very fit dog but even in her prime she couldn't have handled the pit. A couple of years ago she chased down a ground hog in our back yard, I have never seen her act that way, I had to rough her up a little to get her to let it go. If my 3 year old wasn't watching I wouldn't have stopped her, even though the ground hog was my friend. ;)

Yeah I love my girl, I got her from the pound as a puppy, she even had her tail cropped. Very strong, stout looking dog, weighing about 75lbs with a alpha type of attitude that can be a pain every now and again. The mix is awesome, aside from the great looks of both breeds, another reason lab/boxer is a good mix is because the two breeds individually are two of the topped ranked breeds to have around children.

What gets me is, even though she is 14, she is a pretty tough and still very fit dog but even in her prime she couldn't have handled the pit. A couple of years ago she chased down a ground hog in our back yard, I have never seen her act that way, I had to rough her up a little to get her to let it go. If my 3 year old wasn't watching I wouldn't have stopped her, even though the ground hog was my friend. ;)

Does she drool as much as your average boxer? That's the only reason I don't think I'd get a boxer as much as I think they are an amazing breed. My brother always had them and I'd always leave with some nice slimy stains on my jeans from where the dog laid it's head.

I agree that the owners are the one to blame in 95% of the cases. The problem is, as long as people breed this dog, they will get into the wrong hands. How can you prevent a terrible owner from owning a pit bull? People will continue to get severly hurt, because idiots will keep raising these dogs incorrectly.

I personally will never own one, simply because of the liability. I have two dogs under 30lbs that I know, if for some reason they do snap and bite somebody it will not result in serious injury.

Does she drool as much as your average boxer? That's the only reason I don't think I'd get a boxer as much as I think they are an amazing breed. My brother always had them and I'd always leave with some nice slimy stains on my jeans from where the dog laid it's head.

She doesn't drool at all, her lips don't hang down quite as far as a boxer. My biggest turn off about boxers is thier longevity, they usually don't make it past 10 years, without looking, I think the average life span for a boxer is 7 years. My parents had a Lab when I was little, she lived to be 17, talk about a gentle dog, she would play with our pet racoons for hours and never hurt them even when they were being pricks.

She doesn't drool at all, her lips don't hang down quite as far as a boxer. My biggest turn off about boxers is thier longevity, they usually don't make it past 10 years, without looking, I think the average life span for a boxer is 7 years. My parents had a Lab when I was little, she lived to be 17, talk about a gentle dog, she would play with our pet racoons for hours and never hurt them even when they were being pricks.

Yeah, I think I heard that the other day. That's crazy.

I hope my lab puppy lives to be that old. :(

Yeah, I think I heard that the other day. That's crazy.

I hope my lab puppy lives to be that old. :(

Yeah it's so easily to get attached and create that relationship with a puppy. Labs have a good life span, my dog got the lab side of the longevity traits, she is 14 and can still tries to catch rabbits and cats when they roam through the back yard.

Is she swimming yet?

It's obvious that I am not a fan of Pit Bulls, but has anyone else that has been around pits notice a strange stare or look that only Pits have in thier eyes?

It's Dobies for me...****ers freak me out.

So anytime a pit bull has attacked a person or another dog it's because it was trained to? Sorry I don't buy that. I've seen seemingly nice dogs of numerous breeds just "lose it" for no apparent reason, including my own. Pitbulls just "lose it" far more often.

You often see dogs like Border Collies instinctually try to herd cows, horses, and even people. In most cases theywere never trained, it's just in their nature, just like fighting is in a pitbull's nature.

Right, but if there is some reason that humans train pits to be aggressive more often than other dogs then you will see pit bulls lose it more often. A lot of pit bull owners tend to be bottom of the barrel folks so they may want to have a big mean dog out of some insecurity.

It's obvious that I am not a fan of Pit Bulls, but has anyone else that has been around pits notice a strange stare or look that only Pits have in thier eyes?

not really

I think you're just paranoid.

Umm I owned one, they have this odd stare.

It's Dobies for me...****ers freak me out.

I think I know the look you are talking about with Dobies, kind of cross eyed looking stare dead square into your eyes as if they are trying to stare you down?

Yeah it's so easily to get attached and create that relationship with a puppy. Labs have a good life span, my dog got the lab side of the longevity traits, she is 14 and can still tries to catch rabbits and cats when they roam through the back yard.

Is she swimming yet?

He LOVES the water. We've taken him swimming a few times and he's the only dog I've ever known to go jump in the bathtub because he wants us to turn it on.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts in finding a quality breeder my lab has an overbite that has me a bit concerned. The next dog I get will be a rescue as soon as I get a place that I own - but there is nothing like having a puppy.

I get that feeling about all the "powerful" breeds - I think it's just my imagination but who knows?

Archived