Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: 19yr old killed by his own pit bulls

Stricknn

Why? Because someone chose to turn them into being vicious? I can take a Chihuahua and make it attack anyone. Should we not own Chihuahua's? This can be said for ANY and EVERY type of breed.

Then why don't we ever hear about Chihuahuas killing people ?

Because we can defend ourselves from them easily since they are so small. If you put the brain of a pitbull in a chihuahua and it was "vicious" it still wouldn't kill people because you could defend yourself from it very easily.

Anyone suggesting that behavior like this is because of anything other than the way the dog was raised clearly knows absolutely nothing about dog training.

I am a dog owner too(Beagle actually), but I don't own a pit. From what I know about the dogs, it's all on the owner. If a owner wants his dog to be vicious and train them as such, then the dog will become an attack dog. Pit's are probably the nicest dogs I've come across. A couple of my friends who do own pit bulls, they would not harm anyone or anybody. It's kind of wrong to say they should just be put down. I think the breed catches a bad rep. It's all on the owner.

Anyone suggesting that behavior like this is because of anything other than the way the dog was raised clearly knows absolutely nothing about dog training.

So anytime a pit bull has attacked a person or another dog it's because it was trained to? Sorry I don't buy that. I've seen seemingly nice dogs of numerous breeds just "lose it" for no apparent reason, including my own. Pitbulls just "lose it" far more often.

You often see dogs like Border Collies instinctually try to herd cows, horses, and even people. In most cases theywere never trained, it's just in their nature, just like fighting is in a pitbull's nature.

Because we can defend ourselves from them easily since they are so small. If you put the brain of a pitbull in a chihuahua and it was "vicious" it still wouldn't kill people because you could defend yourself from it very easily.

Different species can be born more or less aggressive than others. The Great White is considered the King of Sharks but the Bull Shark is naturally far more aggressive (most testosterone of any animal on Earth). I'm not saying that's a fact with Pit Bulls but it's not 100% training but a good owner certainly helps.

+1 its how the dog is trained (heck arguably one of the greatest dog trainers uses a pit bull to help other dogs ... amazing)

Also I love the idea of additional training for large dogs. I was walking my lab the other day (who has a ton of force even at 70lbs) and this little woman was being walked by a 100lbs doberman.

No way this woman could physically control that dog if she had to.

They're two different types of dogs and sizes. For a Chihuahua to kill someone, it would have to almost be a baby. You or I would be able to kill one if it attacked us. A Pitbull on the other hand is a lot stronger, bigger and has the lock in jaw.

I wasn't comparing them to being killers, I was comparing them to being vicious.

My neighbor has a Chihuahua which never stops barking at people. She has the leash set so it stops the dog about 2 feet from the sidewalk. I can guarantee you that if you walked on the property or if the dogs leash broke, it would bite you at the ankles.

I've even heard the lady say, while the dog was barking at me, "Bite his ankles." Is that not provoking the dog?

Yet she was upset when I told her I'd kick it like a football if it ever bit me.

Ironic how a Chihuahua owner can say, "Bite his ankles" and it's all good to go. But if a Pitbull owner said it to a dog who is not vicious at all, he should be locked up and the dog would be put down.

Why do you always attempt to hijack threads with ridiculous posts?

Why take my post so literally ?

The guy I responded to, used Chihuahuas as an example, so I did.

The fact is, whenever you hear about a dog killing a person, and it happens pretty frequently, it's almost always a pit-bull. And none of the other dogs who are more physically gifted are part of the problem.

If it's "how you breed the dog", then is it some huge coincidence that practically no other dog is bred to the point that he attacks and kills a person. The numbers speak for themselves.

For those who keep saying it's "how you raise them", you need to show some evidence that these particular owners trained them that way.

I guess I wouldn't have so much of a problem if there wasn't so much ignorance out there. At one time or another, every one of these dogs was probably mislabeled a "pit bull" and the only one that is is the first picture.

American Pit Bull Terriers

American%20Pit%20Bull%20Terriers2.jpg

American Staffordshire Terriers

American%20Staffordshire%20Terrier2009-Mar-Thu1238068318.jpg

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Ter.StaffordshireBullTerrier.jpg

Presa Canarios

02-19-05%20068_edited-1%20presa%20canario.jpg

Cane Corsos

cane-corso.jpg

Spanish Alanos

3202008d10.jpg

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

rhodesian_ridgeback332x_1191990677500.jpg

Bandogs

bandog.jpg

Dogues Brasileiros

Dogues_Brasileiros__adri49b.jpg

Dogo Argentino

argentin.jpg

Guatemalan Bull Terriers

GuatemalanBullterriermvc-021s.jpg

American Bulldogs

american_bull_dog.jpg

Boxers

boxer1.jpg

Bull Mastiffs

bullmastiff295x266.jpg

Bull Terriers

20090324155931_160359_1.jpg

English Bulldogs

English-Bulldog.jpg?cb=633559833276860328

Rottweilers

Rottweiler-picture.jpg

Taken from yahoo - pretty much sums it up.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

One of the main reasons that some pitbulls have unstable temperments is that so many people breed unstable pitbulls, and in breed them as well. What I mean by this is, people take nervous, shy, fearful and/or human aggressive dogs and breed them. These traits can be genetic, as well as learned.

Another factor is the way these dogs are raised. Many people raise them by treating them roughly.

Now to address your comment about "little children not doing anything and then they attack." More often than not, this is not the case. What we, and I mean people, perceive as "nothing," a dog may not see the same way. For example, in normal "dog" communication, one dog getting in another dog's face and looking it in the eye is confrontational. Well...young children are pretty much face to face, eye to eye with a dog...what is the "dog" reading from the child?

Also, many parents let children and dogs chase each other..."look how cute!" Yep...until that innocent game of chase goes awry, and something happens and an injury occurs. Prey animals, squeak, squeal, run, and make high pitched noise...and what do kids do?? Yep...sort of "mimics" the whole pray thing. And in that little kids are, well, little...

Many of the so called "unprovoked attacks" involve pit bulls that were on a chain at the time of the attack or had broken off of a chain. This is another contributing factor. Chaining up dogs leads to aggression for several reasons: frustration, boredom, and the fact that chained dogs are often teased.

Then on top of all of this, you have this fact: The media sensationalizes pit bull attacks. These are not the only dogs that bite, maul and cause injury or even kill. But these are the dogs that the media portrays because these are the headlines that will sell! People don't react with the same gusto and break out the pitch fork mantra when a lab mauls a child as they do when pit bull scratches a person!

Just to give you an idea: I have a client who has a nasty Shih tzu...this dog has bit 5 people...three of which are children. Two of the children needed stitches. One was a toddler who needed stitches in the face. The client states she is so scared of her neighbors pitbull because it looks at her...um...and her shih tzu is biting everyone and causing serious injury! Mean while a friendly pitbull is "scaring" her? Explain the logic here...because I'm at a loss.

I do not believe that in most cases (I say most because I have worked with some dogs who have snapped suddenly, who were not pit bulls by the way, who turned out to have brain tumors!) pit bulls suddenly "snap." I feel that their are underlying reasons that people overlook, or choose to own up to. It's much easier to blame the dog than to put the blame where it truly lies: with the people.

well if we're going to start eliminating vicious breeds...i'd rather start with humans than pit bulls.

why would you want to destroy or outlaw an entire breed of dog simply because they are ideal for fighting and killing? Those who don't raise them to fight and kill, tend to end up owning very loyal, and loving dogs.

as said before, you can raise any dog to be mean. It's a cultural idealogy that it's "cool" to have a big bad ass pitbull. But i could literally do the same thing with a Rotweiler or a German Shepard or any dog breed. So after Pit Bulls, when people start fighting another breed of dog, are we then going to eradicate that breed as well??

Why take my post so literally ?

The guy I responded to, used Chihuahuas as an example, so I did.

The fact is, whenever you hear about a dog killing a person, and it happens pretty frequently, it's almost always a pit-bull. And none of the other dogs who are more physically gifted are part of the problem.

If it's "how you breed the dog", then is it some huge coincidence that practically no other dog is bred to the point that he attacks and kills a person. The numbers speak for themselves.

For those who keep saying it's "how you raise them", you need to show some evidence that these particular owners trained them that way.

There aren't many dogs that are more "physically gifted" than a pit bull.

Again, you hear about them more often for many reasons.

Genetically, they are more predisposed to aggression if you do not take the proper steps to train them out of this at an early age.

The most likely reason is that very often people who want an aggressive dog (for whatever reason, status, ego, etc.) often choose a pit bull because of their reputation.

Honestly, I've known more people to be injured by German Shepherds than APBT's.

There's a reason why Pit Bulls are not allowed as pets in many apartment communities. And it's not because of the owner

It absolutely is.

It's ignorance, and bad dog ownership that turn these dogs into monsters. They may be predisposed to being more aggressive, but men are more aggressive than women....that doesn't make all men killers.

My wife and I were walking our pitbull mix a few years back when it was run up on, and bitten, by a full bred pitbull that the owner said had broken off it's leash. Well, the woman didn't have a leash, and she was VERY trashy looking. She had dirty, ripped sweat pants on, her dog was dirty, her hair was unkept...it looked like she was just lounging around her apartment when she decided to get up and take her dog for a walk. Anyway, our dog needed to see the vet because she was bleeding. I asked the woman to give me some information and she was quick to offer up an address, a phone number, an apology, and all that jazz.

Only problem was, none of the information she gave me ended up really being hers. She knew she had her dog off a leash in a state where it's illegal, and she knew it was a contraversial breed of dog. Yet, the dog running up to my dog, and biting her, ultimately happened because of the lack of responsibility of the owner. Not because that other pit bull was anymore or any less vicious than any other dog.

Owners are typically the problem when it comes to Pit Bulls. And by typically, i mean WAY more often than not. Sure there may be a nutty pitbull here and there that goes off and attacks something it shouldn't, but the same can be said for ANY breed of dog.

There's a reason why Pit Bulls are not allowed as pets in many apartment communities. And it's not because of the owner

It's actually because of owners who have trained them to fight and who have given them a bad name. It's not because the dog is naturally vicious, hell I don't think any dog is naturally vicious, I think you have to train them to be that way.

I could invite you over to dinner tonight and I bet by the time you leave you'd have an entire different stand point on Pitbulls.

It's quite clear you've never owned one, so it's going to be impossible to tell you how they act and what not because it seems like you only want to believe what you read. Yes there are bad Pitbulls out there, but not by their own choosing. They do it because that's what the masters want them to do and they're loyal.

I could tell my dog, get him or sick em and she'd look at me like I'm stupid because she doesn't know what I'm saying. Only way my dog would hurt you is by her tail which is like a twirling metal bar when it hits you wagging.

I'm pretty sure they sometimes are . . . ?

Not sure where you are trying to go with this . . .

Well, obviously, it's either the dog's fault or the human's fault.

We just disagree on whose fault it is.

And one of them should be held accountable, when it involves a significant amount of human deaths.

So if it's the human's fault, as you say, then where is the accountability or at least the OUTRAGE at the humans ?

Whenever a pit-bull kills a person, the PB supporters just brush it off, and say it's the owner's fault.

Well, even if it IS the owner's fault, why just casually brush it off, and act like it's no big deal, and it's just something we have to live with.

It's kind of like how the "peaceful Muslims" don't condemn the acts of militant muslims, and just stay quiet.

Archived