Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are you looking forward to seeing this Pre-season most?

Malcomb Kelly

Where to start:

1. The Offensive Line-It is in my opinion that our offense, JC, and Zorn hinges on the performance of the OL. I will be watching at how Heyer has developed, how Williams looks, and what Bridges can do. It will be interesting to see if Rinehart looks much better. Lets not forget Samuels is coming of an injury.

I agree 100%, the OL is the single most important factor in the success of the offense and therefore the Skins.

Imo if the OL improves it doesn't matter what else happens the Skins will be better.

Rinehart and Bridges gotta be ready to come in and play well if/when Thomas and Samuels get banged up.

I'm holding out hope that because Rinehart has been taking reps with the 1st team during OTA's and that Thomas is still recovering from NECK surgery that Rinehart can win the RG spot outright in training camp.

Mike Williams would be a bonus, and a sleeper story is wether Will Montgomery or Edwin Williams can come in and really challenge Casey Rabach, who i thought struggled last year.

3. Orakp/LB- Orakpo's move to LB will be very interesting. I wonder how he will be able to change direction and play coverage. I am interested to see how they utilize him. Hopefully we see him plenty with his hand in the ground. If Rak should faulter, what will the team do at SAM?

It will be intersting to see how Orakpo and Wilson will fair in pass coverage from this SAM/rush-backer position.

I think Wilson has better hips and is more fluid in pass coverage.

But, i think 'Rak could be a dynamic rusher form the SAM position.

4. Zorn's Offense- People want to blame JC, but i also blame Zorn. Hopefully the offense is more complex and not so simplistic. His play calling was horrible down the stretch. Lets see if he can mix it up more.

I'm not looking to see too much during the pre-season, just watching individual players more.

But, i do expect to see sharper playcalling in the regular season.

It will be intersting to see how Zorn calls plays during the pre-season games.

I hope that Zorn doesn't waste alot of time with players that won't be on the team.

It bugged me how many reps Marcus Mann, Burl Toler and McMullen got when they couldn't have been in the teams plans.

I understand that teams try to get some players familiar with the offense to stash away just in case of injury but these dudes got alot reps.

9. Kevine Barnes- I think Kevin Barnes will be a quality CB. I look forward to see how he does and perhaps push Smoot for the nickle spot.

The 3rd CB spot is another very imortant position in my book.

Imo Fred Smoot wasn't very good last season.

It seemed like he was constantly giving up catches whenever he was in the game.

There has been talk about Tryon looking good in OTAs.

I think there will be a tight battle between Tryon, Barnes and Smoot.

I wonder if Smoot's job is in jeopardy?

HTTR!

Things I am looking forward to seeing:

1. Stephon Heyer progress at RT so that we can finally shut up critics who have in most cases never seen the guy play. I remember him starting at RT in 2007 during the stretch run and he did a solid job for the most part. I think the club starting Jansen in 2008 make a big mistake in kow-towing to the veterans on the OL. Zorn was correct that Jansen was slow in getting off the ball in pass protection and Campbell paid the price.

2. Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall showing quickly that they were worth the money the team laid out for them.

3. The emergence of a number of the 'failed' draft picks of 2008 - namely, Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Chad Rinehart. I think Hakeem Moore will join Chris Horton as a surprise contributor in 2009. If only the Redskins middle round picks would turn out like the late ones!

4. Seeing Brian Orakpo and Jeremy Jarmon show us glimpses of what is in store over the next 3-4 years at DE as they mature.

5. See Jason Campbell exhibit the visible leadership that was lacking in 2008. When receivers drop the ball in open space Campbell needs to get in their grille. He also needs to direct the younger receivers better in getting them lined up and ready in the pre-snap. In 2008 guys lined up on the wrong side of the formation and nobody repositioned them before the ball was snapped.

The new blood on both sides of the line. We could be extremely dominant on defense this year with a pass rush and it seems we are adding young and experienced into the mix. On the O line, I am here to predict that Mike Williams will be the monster he intended himself to be, over a hunderd lbs lighter, mean, hungry(gotta to be), bustin' open holes and protecting. If these guys preform like I think they will, game over man.

I forgot, I'm also looking forward to seeing Dorsey and Aldridge fight it out as our Punt Returner/speed back. If they can do anything with their speed, this should be pretty fun to watch, especially since Shanahan suggested we pick up Aldridge.

(Shanny said he was fastest guy he'd ever seen with a ball. Sounds good to me.)

You hear stories from players about how Fred Davis is all over the field making plays in practice. If that's the case, he should be able to do the same against second stringers in the preseason, I'm looking forward to watching him try to find a niche on the field and earning some serious playing time for the regular season.

Edwin Williams

Anthony Montgomery

Alfred Fincher

Mike Williams

Chad Reinhart

Preseason is the time to see how the second tier players and fringe guys are looking. Unfortunately, Malcolm Kelly makes this list as well. He has to show he can stay on the field.

Archived