Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming Jason Campbell doesn't work out, what are our options?

Going Commando

Personally I wouldn't mind bringing in Charlie Whitehurst to see if he has anything at the NFL level. He played at Clemson (yes, I know you'll be thinking I'm a Clemson Homer) but he was I'd say about 80% or so of the team then.

Definately something I hadn't even thought about, but, do we really want the FO grand scheme to be (drum roll please)...Charlie Whitehurst?

That's a little like bringing in Mike Williams and "seeing if he has anything at the NFL level" instead of drafting Eugene Monroe.*

*not to say I don't like the Rak pick

I will not be happy if we have to draft a QB in the 1st round next year. I want a OT. That being said....

If JC blows it, I think we would be remise to not look at what is shaping up to be an extremely deep QB class. Here are Walterfooball's rankings.

I am not a big Bradford guy, I think he sits in shotgun behind a line of all-americans and fires (accurately) to RBs who get YAC like crazy. Also, watch footage of OK, and he never reads the D on his own, rather sitting back, head turned to the OC, waiting for the playcall. Plus there is zero defense in the big 12. But you can not deny his proto-typical size and his fantastic ability going through his progression and hitting the open guy.

I am also not crazy about Tebow. These have been discussed ad nauseum, but I side with those worried about his motion, his place in the NFL, and the fact that he is more juiced than the participants in the 1999 Home Run Derby. (One of those is a psuedo-joke). However, he is a winner, and the last time I was unsure about a QB winner was when I didn't think Matty Ice was legit. Whoops. However, Matt Ryan did not have the benefit of playing for the most load team since to 2001 Miami Hurricanes. (side note, that teams 4-deep at RB was Portis, Davenport, Payton, McGahee) I wouldn't draft him in the top ten though. And I used to think he wouldn't be a 1st rounder because of how talented this draft class will be, but I have to say, if I'm, picking 25-32, he's very, very intriguing. But not the QB to take us to the promised land.

Also said to the nth degree, we already have a Colt on our team, both in name, stature and playing style. Although Colt, McCoy-type, might have him beat on girlfriend hottness.

However, I love, love, love Jevon Snead, the guy who transfered because of Colt McCoy. Pro-style offense, battle tested in a conference that plays defense, good numbers, and able to carry his team that doesn't start a future NFLer at every position. I will be watching his season closely, as he has lost his number one target, to see if he's the real deal. But for me, at this moment, he seems like the pick.

And as I have made this case before, if we are looking for a QB next Feb, obviously JC hasn't gotten it done. However, I think we all can agree our D is very good this year and could be special if things (cough, converting a DE to LB, cough) work out. So I don't see a 4-12 year even if Jason farts it up this season. But without a steady offense, 6-10ish seems possible, and a pick in the 7-13 range would be likely. Not high enough for Bradford, not low enough for Tebow, but just the right value for Snead.

This all assumes Colt's doesn't come in for relief and shows that he actually has a future as a starter. Then, and only then, would I want to go with a FA stop gap, and only for depth behind Colt. No more FA stop gaps!

But lets hope we can hear in 2010: "With the 32nd pick of the first round, the Washington Redskins take...Trent Williams, offensive tackle, Oklahoma"

i swear to god, if we dont fix our Oline soon, it won't matter WHO we get as QB, they're gonna get pounded and not have enough time to do what they need to do. Is the problem really the QB? or is it the aging Oline & lack of viable receivers?

Is the problem really the QB? or is it the aging Oline & lack of viable receivers?

As with everything, I think it is a blend of things. I think our line needs youth, I think our QB has underpreformed, and I think our WRs haven't developed.

Two of those things can presumably change with the current personnel. JC (or Colt) could preform. The 2nd Round Trio can develop.

The OL can't get younger on it's own, or with coaching, or by working harder, or by being in the same offensive system, etc. And we are reaching critical mass with our OL, the second most important position group in football. And when the wheels do come off (let's hope it's not week 10 in the middle of the playoff hunt), its going to be bad. Like Gessinger starting at LT versus Suggs bad.

I would argue that even if Jason has a season like last year, the OL will still be a more pressing need than QB. Because if we start 2010 with the same group of bodies, 8-8 is going to look awesome.

Edit: Got to add the Smoot quote: "Fat boys wins my game," he said. "I know football, and in December, in the playoffs, fat boys win. Whoever's got the best fat boys is gonna win, so I'm gonna collect fat boys. I can find Fred Smoots -- not a dime a dozen, but I can find cornerbacks that can make plays. I can find that. I can't find a big boy that can push this line for four quarters."

i say no to tebow, but thats just me i dont think he will be great, maybe decent at best. I think mccoy is pretty good but obviously bradford is the better. More than likely wed give brennan a shot(as itd probably be just as much as giving zorn a last shot depending on the season outcome).

Personally, I know I'm opening the door here, but why are we making a thread assuming that anybody on the team won't work out this year 2 weeks before training camp? I mean, there are 2 options: they could work out and they might not work out.

Why not just get behind the team that is fielded from now until the next off season?

Just a thought.

Personally, I know I'm opening the door here, but why are we making a thread assuming that anybody on the team won't work out this year 2 weeks before training camp? I mean, there are 2 options: they could work out and they might not work out.

Why not just get behind the team that is fielded from now until the next off season?

Just a thought.

Because a lot of us don't see Jason getting it done. That and the fact a hell of a lot can happen between now and opening day.

You answered your own question. "They might not work out." Hence, the reason for starting the thread. That's the purpose of a forum. To dialogue about all the various possibilities. Nothing wrong with that.

Colt Brennan is the best option for this team if JC doesn't work out!

Only because he'll be the only option.

I'd like us to draft a QB with our first rounder if JC fails, than hand the starting job to Brennan heading into camp. If the Rookie looks good enough, than you let him play. Otherwise, take your chances on your other investment.

If you are looking at a college QB who has a less mediocre offense and a decent defense and who has led his team to victory against ranked teams ... sometimes improbable wins... then look no further than the ACC team in our own back yard.

Yes! I am talking about Chris Turner, QB, University of Maryland. He has an accurate arm. Throws the ball well from the pocket, and on the run. Doesn't make too many mistakes, and is efficient.

He maynot be a 1st rounder ... But, the guy does have the "IT" factor, and when it's on he beats highly ranked teams!

From that list, I would like to have Philip Rivers or Kylie Orton.

If you are looking at a college QB who has a less mediocre offense and a decent defense and who has led his team to victory against ranked teams ... sometimes improbable wins... then look no further than the ACC team in our own back yard.

Yes! I am talking about Chris Turner, QB, University of Maryland. He has an accurate arm. Throws the ball well from the pocket, and on the run. Doesn't make too many mistakes, and is efficient.

He maynot be a 1st rounder ... But, the guy does have the "IT" factor, and when it's on he beats highly ranked teams!

From that list, I would like to have Philip Rivers or Kylie Orton.

I think we'll take a pass on Chris Turner. We already have our "IT" factor guy holding the clipboard at 3rd string.

The top college QB names right now are:

1- Bradford/Snead

2- McCoy

3- Tebow

And then the usual mixed bag after that.

I think we'll take a pass on Chris Turner. We already have our "IT" factor guy holding the clipboard at 3rd string.

I wasn't aware the QB depth chart had been released for 09. I am pretty sure the articles on the redskins blogs (as Lavar has said, those articles aren't an accident--I believe he is right about that), and Zorn's statements so far have indicated that CB has a legitimate shot being our #2.

Chad Pennington would be solid. He was a huge part of the Dolphins turning it around last year (more than the "Wild Cat" actually).

Chad is kinda perfect for a WCO. Accurate, smart and the WCO doesnt need a big arm to be effective. Only real drawback is age for me.

If Jim Zorn stays, give Jason Campbell a cheap contract. He can be a stopgap or veteran backup. The only free agent QB I'd be interested in is Philip Rivers, but I doubt we'll be able to get him. The football season in college is also very long, who knows which quarterbacks will suddenly rise and become bonafide first round draft picks.

Campbell will not be on the roster in 2010. He's on record as stating he believes he is a starter in the NFL so if he isn't able to start for the Skins he'll take his chances somewhere else. You really think he wants to be a veteran backup for the redskins? I'd bet you my house that doesn't happen.

Hopefully the Skins bring in some cheap vet like Pennington and open up the competition in training camp. That's all you can hope for a true open competition.

You answered your own question. "They might not work out." Hence, the reason for starting the thread. That's the purpose of a forum. To dialogue about all the various possibilities. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, but we're speculating on NEXT off season before THIS off season is even over? I mean, go for it. Not going to stop you, I just think it seems a bit odd to be talking about moves made anywhere around Feb-April of 2010, when training camp is less than 2 weeks away.

Because a lot of us don't see Jason getting it done. That and the fact a hell of a lot can happen between now and opening day.

Short of injury, nothing's going to happen between now and the start of the season.

I would love to see it be Colt. Except for 1 half of 1 game last year he played a perfect season and that game it even took a miracle play for him to lose otherwise, he would have ended the season playing for the national championship. Bad thing is that after another season simular to that he probably wont be there when we pick.

Lets all remember, the reason Snead is where he is today is because Colt sent him there.....

i say no to tebow, but thats just me i dont think he will be great, maybe decent at best. I think mccoy is pretty good but obviously bradford is the better. More than likely wed give brennan a shot(as itd probably be just as much as giving zorn a last shot depending on the season outcome).

I also say no to Tebow. But I think Colt McCoy is alot better than Bradford.

I would love to see it be Colt. Except for 1 half of 1 game last year he played a perfect season and that game it even took a miracle play for him to lose otherwise, he would have ended the season playing for the national championship. Bad thing is that after another season simular to that he probably wont be there when we pick.

Lets all remember, the reason Snead is where he is today is because Colt sent him there.....

You're confused.

Snead left Texas for Ole Miss because he didn't want to sit behind Colt McCoy.

Well yeah... I mean Colt didnt buy his ticket or anything Im sure but still, hes there because of Colt.
oh lol I was confused then...I thought you were referring to Colt Brennan, as per usual reference around here (and a lot in this thread)...

Well yeah, McCoy has excelled incredibly in the Texas system, pretty much as their only offense last year especially...the only real questions about him and Bradford are the systems they're coming from, and McCoy isn't spectacularly comfortable as a pocket passer, although staying his senior year may benefit him in that respect.

Other than the obvious possibility of giving Colt a shot, I actually might make a bet on a current dark horse and look to Riley Skinner. Having watched a large amount of ACC games over the past year, I get that "it" feeling from Skinner, and he's very accurate, which is still an underrated part of evaluating a quarterback. (All you arm strength nuts can go ogle a collage of biceps for all I care - just ask Kyle Boller how far his arm strength took him.) Skinner's not a flashy prospect right now, but I get the feeling that he'll be in the best position in the pros after five years.

Archived