Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming Jason Campbell doesn't work out, what are our options?

Going Commando

You can't downgrade a guy just because his team is awesome and his weapons are good.

Sure you can.

Look at the best QB's coming out of the first round for the last few years. Most of them have been surrounded my mediocre talent, and they overcome that.

Aaron Rogers never had top tier talent around him.

Jay Cutler played with a bunch of future doctors.

Matt Ryan played in the ACC. Same with Rivers.

All of those guys have been beaten down and faced adversity, and more or less, carried their whole team. They never had the help of a ton of NFl talent around them

That is why I think Stafford is going to be a good QB.

Quick answer:

The winner of an open competition between:

Todd Collins and Colt Brennan + and a WCO QB we bring in between: Kellen Clemens, Jeff Garcia, Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels

</p>

Wow Sage Rosenfels would be spooky coming back to the Skins ... wasn't he drafted by Marty Shottenhiemer ....and who is from the Shottenhiemer coaching tree...Bill Cowher ... WOW a match made in heaven ...2011 Cowhers Redskins take the superbowl, Rosenfels MVP ...DAMNIT now all your wild speculation has me doing it now

Sure you can.

Look at the best QB's coming out of the first round for the last few years. Most of them have been surrounded my mediocre talent, and they overcome that.

Aaron Rogers never had top tier talent around him.

Jay Cutler played with a bunch of future doctors.

Matt Ryan played in the ACC. Same with Rivers.

All of those guys have been beaten down and faced adversity, and more or less, carried their whole team. They never had the help of a ton of NFl talent around them

That is why I think Stafford is going to be a good QB.

I don't know about that. Aaron Rodgers played on a very good Cal team and J.J. Arrington was unstoppable that season. He ran for like 1,900 yards. He had plenty of talent around him.

Cutler maybe, but Earl Bennett was an excellent receiver and NFL caliber and his LT Chris Williams was a first round pick and a great college player.

Matt Ryan and Rivers you are right about, but both had good defenses so their teams weren't devoid of talent.

I would think Roethlisberger would be your best case and a lot has been demonstrated about how QBs from small conferences like the MAC have succeeded in the NFL. There maybe a coorelation but it certainly isn't any sort of causation. Guys as tough as Roethlisberger and Rivers would have kicked ass no matter where they went to school.

And there are plenty of examples of guys like Carson Palmer who had all the talent in the world surrounding them and they are still successful. You have to grade the prospects as independently as possible because obviously you aren't drafting their entire team with them. QB is an idiosyncratic position where a lot of complex factors go into its evaluation. You can't just rule someone out for a fairly arbitrary reason like the program they came from.

For every Ben Roethlisberger there has been a Carson Palmer and has been an Alex Smith. You can't really tell all that much by judging the surrounding talent.

I'd rather Brennan play with Grossman backing him up than Brennan play with Collins backing him up. This might be getting overlooked, but I think this is Collins's last year here too.

Strongly disagree about Collins. He is the IDEAL backup QB. Don't sell him short and don't be surprised if he has a significant role in this upcoming season.

Very smart and learns the playbook like a coach. Content with being the backup (highly important, IMO). Proven that he can come in and be a solid spot starter (if not longer). Up in years, but he has a veteran's savvy and knowledge of how to play the position (and in reading defenses), yet he has also experienced minimal wear and tear.

The only negatives on Collins are lack of mobility, arm strength, and he can be rattled if the rush gets to him with any degree of frequency. He's not a guy that'll turn water into wine, but he'll execute the offense. Those aren't the best attributes for a full-time starter, but I think Collins can hold down the backup position for many more years in the NFL. He may not be the apple of a personnel guy's eye, but I'd bet that any NFL coach would love a player like him as his backup QB.

I like Campbell better than everyone on that list except Rivers and Bradford.

I disagree whole heartedly about Manning and Rivers being locks to stay with their teams. Neither Eli nor Philip will resign with their own team until the CBA gets sorted out. If they do sign early, they are S-T-U-P-I-D. While we may want to think the players and owners are too smart for an impasse, it looks like there is a very solid chance that 2010 will be uncapped. If so, Rivers and Manning stand to make a ton of dough, either to stay with their own team, or to be signed away by another team willing to pay the two firsts for a franchise designated player. My guess is that neither one moves if there is a cap, but that Manning stays in NY and Rivers moves on if there is no cap. I'd be happy to make a friendly wager with you Mr. McQueen, that if there is no cap, Rivers winds up in burgundy and gold :)

I don't like the looks of next years QB class. I'm not sure Tebow is the answer. If Campbell is at least solid this year, we should spend the picks and offseason upgrading the pieces around him, if we can't get a proven commodity(e.g. Rivers). This defense is built for a 3 year run, not for rebuilding. That being said, We could use a stop-gap like Pennington to play while we develop a rookie.

Lastly, conspicuously absent from your list is Mike Vick. I hope that we are too smart for that move though.

I like Campbell better than everyone on that list except Rivers and Bradford.

I disagree whole heartedly about Manning and Rivers being locks to stay with their teams. Neither Eli nor Philip will resign with their own team until the CBA gets sorted out. If they do sign early, they are S-T-U-P-I-D. While we may want to think the players and owners are too smart for an impasse, it looks like there is a very solid chance that 2010 will be uncapped. If so, Rivers and Manning stand to make a ton of dough, either to stay with their own team, or to be signed away by another team willing to pay the two firsts for a franchise designated player. My guess is that neither one moves if there is a cap, but that Manning stays in NY and Rivers moves on if there is no cap. I'd be happy to make a friendly wager with you Mr. McQueen, that if there is no cap, Rivers winds up in burgundy and gold :)

I don't understand why you think Rivers would want to leave San Diego even if 2010 was uncapped. San Diego can just as easily afford to sign him as we can and he'd get to stay in the system that he's flourished in. The Chargers have way more appealing weapons to work with too, so he'd have to accept a downgrade in talent also. He isn't the type to jump ship for the money anyway.

Second, I don't think that the loss of a cap is going to affect the contract offers Rivers and Manning will receive all that much anyway. $120 million is a staggering number, and not many teams can afford to tie up much more money than that in one player. We already have a guy like that on our team in Haynesworth. I think Eli is going to sign an extension with the Giants before the season is over. They've been in discussion forever. After he does, the Chargers will sign Rivers. They've been paving the way for it for the past few seasons. They'll let Merriman go in order to dig up the money for him.

Now if the Chargers and Rivers couldn't reach an agreement and they had to franchise him that's a whole different story. We would give up the picks for him in a heartbeat, and I can't say that I'd be opposed. He certainly looks better than any of the prospective QBs coming up.

Then again, San Diego would still have to be willing to let him go. Sure they might under those circumstances for fear that they wouldn't be able to reach an agreement with him. Then they'd be happy to get something for him. But he's a franchise QB and I think they'd bend and they have no backup plan for losing him.

Aside from Jay Cutler (the book is still open on him), Brees and Warner are the only franchise QBs to switch teams recently and their circumstances were much different. Brees was coming off a devastating injury to his throwing shoulder and Warner was in his 30's. I just find it extremely hard to believe that the Chargers would let an elite 27 year old QB slip away.

I don't like the looks of next years QB class. I'm not sure Tebow is the answer. If Campbell is at least solid this year, we should spend the picks and offseason upgrading the pieces around him, if we can't get a proven commodity(e.g. Rivers). This defense is built for a 3 year run, not for rebuilding. That being said, We could use a stop-gap like Pennington to play while we develop a rookie.

Me neither. Bradford and Tebow are the only intriguing options. Bradford's throwing motion is ugly and his arm strength doesn't floor you. I'd take Tebow in a heartbeat if he was there in the second, but I don't think he'd fall that far, and regardless, it would take 3 maybe 4 years of seasoning before he'd be good to go, which is not our window.

Sigh... this is why I wanted us to trade up for Sanchez so badly.

Lastly, conspicuously absent from your list is Mike Vick. I hope that we are too smart for that move though.

Yeah, I'm sure we won't sign Vick and definitely not to start. I don't think he'll be back in the NFL next year. I also don't think he'll ever start again.

I agree than Manning may well sign, but I'm not sure Manning sets the market for Rivers. Manning has looked average when paired with average receivers, all the while playing behind an elite Oline.

Maybe I'm way off. After all, I didn't think Peppers would sign his franchise tender without the same clause Haynesworth negotiated to prevent a subsequent tagging. I just think that Rivers is bound to wind up franchised, and then all bets are off. Given how much Snyder has been Jonesing for a franchise QB, I can definitely see him making an absurd offer that San Diego couldn't match. I also think that the poison pill's that were negotiated into the Hutchinson and Burleson contracts were never outlawed.

In the end, I think we will be in the 9 to 11 win area which will leave us with a mediocre draft pick and no shot at Bradford. I'm really crossing my fingers that Campbell breaks out this year with 20 plus TD's.

Re Mike vick: I do think he'll be in the league next year. Some team will take a flyer on him as an athlete, if not a QB. I hope he just retires, but if he plays, and I know this won't happen because of the owner, I would love to see him in Minnesota. It would be tremendous fun to watch a runner of his skill, Adrian Peterson, and potentially Percy Harvin in the same offense. I don't think they would win much, but there would be some great highlights.

I also think that McNabb could be available if the Eagles don't make the playoffs this year. I'm not sure how I would feel about signing him though. He's a playmaker, but struggles with health and accuracy.

Ooh, I also think that Brady Quinn, or Derek Anderson could be available although I don't love them either.

Alright, I found my pick. If you cross off Campbell and Rivers, I think I might make a play for Tyler Thigpen, who looked pretty decent for an ultra-crappy Chiefs team last year.

That is an ugly list... Jeff Garcia's the only proven quarterback of the bunch, and for some reason, no team he's been on ever likes him enough to keep him.

That is an ugly list but imo they would be better then any QB we draft.

They all come from a version of the WCO and all have played well at times.

Personally i would take JC over any of them, but that's not the question.

Hopefully, Collins/Colt would beat them out in an open competition, but i think they're all better then a rookie QB.

I have faith in Zorn's ability to develop a QB.

And I don't like rookie QBs.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were anomalies.

This is also presuming of course Zorn survives through 2010 and were still running a WCO.

If were looking for a new QB, I'm betting it's a new HC leading the search

Hail.

Just going by the OP:

This thread is based on the assumption that he won't be on the team in 2010 leaving us to find a new starter at QB.

Also for the purposes of this thread assume that Zorn will get a fair shot so he'll be here in 2010 regardless. So the WCO is here to stay.

What do you all think?

The answer is easy, whomever Shanahan wants. If Campbell fails, Zorn fails. If Zorn fails, he's gone and Shanny is in. I could see Shanny wanting a Kellen Clemens or Tavaris Jackson that he can work with. The rookie QB don't do a thing for me other than Tebow but I doubt Shanahan would want to work with a rookie QB at this stage.

I'm not at all a fan of McCoy. He's got more film on him than anyone in the class so maybe it's just easier to pick him apart. But he's going to take a while to be ready to run an offense like ours and his arm and body type aren't as good as Tebow's and he's got a lot of the same problems. He's more accurate in the intermediate game certainly. But he's a scrambler in a shotgun spread who's not as good at doing that as either Vince Young or Tebow are.

His skill set is a lot like Matt Cassel's. Do we think that would work here? I doubt it.

Well you just let the air right out of my baloon....

As you can see, I'm from Hawaii so most of us out here fall into the category of people who think Colt is the answer. I mean, in our eyes, he can do miracles, walk on water, he probably has the cure for aids, and if given the right opportunity he could bring about world peace.

Others in ES don't share our enthusiasm. He's too short, too skinny, weak arm and a side-arm at that, not to mention he's a rapist. His eight million yards or whatever it was he threw for in college don't count because they were in the "Hawaii system" and everyone knows that in Hawaii they use coconuts instead of footballs.

But after a year of wandering around ES and hearing all the arguments for and against Colt, there seems to be one thing that both sides agree on and it is this. That we will never know what we've got until he is given a try in a real game situation. In preseason he looked good but that was against future UPS drivers. Even if he got in earlier this preseason and played against first-stringers, it would mean nothing because first stringers rarely go full speed in preseason.

So my answer to this post would be to give him a shot and see what you've got. He may fall flat on his face and stink up the place or he may lead you to the Promised Land. It just seems it would be a shame not to give him a try.

Tebow has his flaws but he is a special player and we have a the perfect guy to teach him as our coach. Zorn would have to completely rewire him as a passer but he's the best man for the job. And Tebow has everything else you want from a QB--the superb leadership, confidence, and toughness. It would be a huge gamble since he's a seemingly awful fit in a WCO. But our other options all seem pretty crappy. That's why we are all praying that Campbell does indeed work out.

Tebow won't even be drafted in the first day. My guess is he's looking at the 4th round as to when he'll be drafted. He's NOT a NFL quarterback by any means. He's a hell of a college player and worthy of his accolades he's received so far, but that's about where it ends. There is a reason he went back to college after gauging his draft status with the NFL.

Probably end up drafting whatever QB plays for USC, that appears to be Mitch Mustain. A transfer so likely has two years left, so scratch that.

Mustain won't be the starter. Aaron Corp was named the starter earlier this year and he's only a Soph.

I dont know why CB doesnt get the benefit of the doubt around here until he proves otherwise. imo, he's got excellent potential + the leadership and confidence to make things happen to win games. Let me repeat that, he does whats needed to win games. Not play it safe or predictable. Its hard to explain, but with JC I feel like other teams keep us contained and with CB it's like they struggle to contain us. After 1-2 years of learning the system, he should be primed for stepping in as a backup or a starter. Bringing in anybody else sends us back to square one.

I'm tired of players that shine in practice and struggle on the field. I'd much prefer those who dont look polished in practice and yet light things up under the spotlight.

Personally, I'd like to see us draft either:

Jevan Snead, Mississippi: He's a strong-armed junior who has the same type of arm that Stafford has. He will be "The Man" next year. You wait and see.

or

Colt McCoy, Texas: He has a great command of the Texas offense. His arm isn't great, but he's accurate. He can also move around the pocket.

(those player evaluations are from here:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11684517 )

If we draft one of those, and let Collins or Brennan or whoever take over for a year, I'm happy with that. We can either let Collins play out his contract and end the relationship with Brennan as a solid backup and the other guy as our starter, or Brennan gets the start and lights it up and we have a young QB who can be the backup for the remainder of his contract and/or trade him for value if later appropriate.

I will not be happy if we have to draft a QB in the 1st round next year. I want a OT. That being said....

If JC blows it, I think we would be remise to not look at what is shaping up to be an extremely deep QB class. Here are Walterfooball's rankings.

I am not a big Bradford guy, I think he sits in shotgun behind a line of all-americans and fires (accurately) to RBs who get YAC like crazy. Also, watch footage of OK, and he never reads the D on his own, rather sitting back, head turned to the OC, waiting for the playcall. Plus there is zero defense in the big 12. But you can not deny his proto-typical size and his fantastic ability going through his progression and hitting the open guy.

I am also not crazy about Tebow. These have been discussed ad nauseum, but I side with those worried about his motion, his place in the NFL, and the fact that he is more juiced than the participants in the 1999 Home Run Derby. (One of those is a psuedo-joke). However, he is a winner, and the last time I was unsure about a QB winner was when I didn't think Matty Ice was legit. Whoops. However, Matt Ryan did not have the benefit of playing for the most loaded team since the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. (side note, that teams 4-deep at RB was Portis, Davenport, Payton, McGahee) I wouldn't draft him in the top ten though. And I used to think he wouldn't be a 1st rounder because of how talented this draft class will be, but I have to say, if I'm, picking 25-32, he's very, very intriguing. But not the QB to take us to the promised land.

Also said to the nth degree, we already have a Colt on our team, both in name, stature and playing style. Although Colt, McCoy-type, might have him beat on girlfriend hottness.

However, I love, love, love Jevon Snead, the guy who transfered because of Colt McCoy. Pro-style offense, battle tested in a conference that plays defense, good numbers, and able to carry his team that doesn't start a future NFLer at every position. I will be watching his season closely, as he has lost his number one target, to see if he's the real deal. But for me, at this moment, he seems like the pick.

And as I have made this case before, if we are looking for a QB next Feb, obviously JC hasn't gotten it done. However, I think we all can agree our D is very good this year and could be special if things (cough, converting a DE to LB, cough) work out. So I don't see a 4-12 year even if Jason farts it up this season. But without a steady offense, 6-10ish seems possible, and a pick in the 7-13 range would be likely. Not high enough for Bradford, not low enough for Tebow, but just the right value for Snead.

This all assumes Colt doesn't come in for relief and shows that he actually has a future as a starter. Then, and only then, would I want to go with a FA stop gap, and only for depth behind Colt. No more FA stop gap starters!

But lets hope we can hear in 2010: "With the 32nd pick of the first round, the Washington Redskins take...Trent Williams, offensive tackle, Oklahoma"

Personally I wouldn't mind bringing in Charlie Whitehurst to see if he has anything at the NFL level. He played at Clemson (yes, I know you'll be thinking I'm a Clemson Homer) but he was I'd say about 80% or so of the team then. Very similar to how Phillip Rivers was at NC State. I'd say Rivers had to carry a team that was less equipped than Charlie but both were still similar QB's. Anyhow, I think we'd be able to bring him in for three reasons that would be pretty good in my opinion. First, we could see what he has developed into since being drafted by Marty & since sitting behind Rivers. Two is he is going to be a cheap guy since he hasn't played a down since being in the NFL ala Jake Delhomme. If he doesn't pan out as a starter or starter material, then we could use him as an amiable backup to take over for a retiring Todd Collins and we'd then have the Colt experiment taking place. Course if Todd wants to keep sticking around he really doesn't have a whole lot of wear and tear maybe Todd could play QB for a full season before riding off into the sunset. Anyhow, out of the list posted at the beginning this is what would be ideal to me on how to handle it next season.

Archived