Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming Jason Campbell doesn't work out, what are our options?

Going Commando

I hesitate to start this thread but I want a single place where we can compile a list of our options if Jason Campbell gets hurt in 2009 or plays poorly and we choose not to extend him. I got the idea for this from Lombardi's Kid Brother's QB's in the last year of their contract thread.

I've been a pretty outspoken supporter of Campbell, and in my heart of hearts I think he will be excellent next year and we'll win the division. But I like to look ahead and prepare for any outcome, and this isn't an argument of whether Campbell will be good or not. This thread is based on the assumption that he won't be on the team in 2010 leaving us to find a new starter at QB.

Also for the purposes of this thread assume that Zorn will get a fair shot so he'll be here in 2010 regardless. So the WCO is here to stay.

With all that in mind, I want to compile a list of possible players who'd be good short and long term options for us at QB (Assuming the CBA is extended). Knowing that we are an organization very comfortable with going through free agency, here is a list of QBs and their ages who should be eligible next season:

Chad Pennington - 33

Kellen Clemens - 26

Matt Guiterrez (RFA) - 25

Troy Smith (RFA) - 25

John Beck - 28

Chaz Batch - 34

Rex Grossman - 29

Kyle Orton - 26

Brodie Croyle - 26

Jeff Garcia - 39

Andrew Walter - 27

Phil Rivers - 27

Charlie Whitehurst - 27

John Kitna - 36

Eli Manning - 28

David Carr - 28

Daunte Culpepper - 32

Tarvaris Jackson - 26

Chris Redman - 32

D.J. Shockley - 26

Josh McCown - 30

Matt Moore (RFA) - 25

Joey Harrington - 30

Brian St. Pierre - 29

Kyle Boller - 28

Brock Berlin (RFA) - 28

I left Pat Ramsey and Mark Brunell off the list. I don't think any of us want to go back down those roads.

So as we can all see, with the notable exceptions of Phil Rivers and Eli Manning, that's a pretty awful list. Since both Rivers and Manning are pretty much locks to resign with their teams, the only mildly intriguing name on the list is Chad Pennington. Zoony brought him up in LKB's thread but at 32 he'd be nothing more than a stop gap much the same as Brunell was. Plus his arm strength is limited so that he can't make all of the throws to open up a passing offense. He got abused by the Ravens' outstanding defense because of it. So we'd be doomed with him if we ran up against an aggressive ballhawking defense like that in the playoffs.

Thus excluding Rivers and Manning, there isn't a name on that list that I'd rather see starting over Campbell, or even taking a shot with Brennan.

All of that said. I think we'd be best served by seeing what we've got with Brennan and getting our QB the old-fashioned way in the 2010 draft to hedge our bets.

Looking ahead though, I'm really not that impressed with this supposed godly crop of QBs coming up. Behind Bradford there isn't a really enticing prospect among the group. And I don't think Bradford was quite as good a prospect as Stafford much less Sanchez (who I thought was the best to come out since Palmer). Bradford will be very good but he isn't perfect. Matt McGuire on Walterfootball compares him to Eli Manning. He's a good decision maker and an accurate passer with good size, but he doesn't have the arm strength that Stafford and Sanchez had to give him their gigantic upside.

After Bradford, the only other enticing prospect is Jevan Snead and I don't think he'd be a good fit here. Colt McCoy might be a good second round option but he is a bit smallish, probably has no idea how to run an offense from behind center, and his arm isn't astounding.

Everyone knows about Tebow. Great build, great intangibles, great athleticism, good arm strength. But horrible passing mechanics, horrible footwork, very slow release, poor touch, and almost no experience running a pro-style offense. He's like Vince Young only with incredible intagibles. He's intriguing, but he's going to take forever to be ready to be a top flight starting QB. And he'll likely go in the first round so patience will be thin with him. If we got him we'd have to sit still for 3 seasons or so while he sat the bench and learned the pro game.

After those four, there is a pretty substantial dropoff to the next tier. I wouldn't really expect anyone behind them to be a starter any time soon. Going by walterfootball's analysis, Jimmy Clausen and Pat Devlin could surprise. Tim Hiller is also someone to watch.

SO... if I were Jim Zorn and Vinny Cerrato (heaven help me) and needed a plan at QB for 2010 and beyond that didn't involve Jason Campbell, I would:

1.) Start Brennan and take my lumps.

2.) Take a long hard look at trading up into the top 5 to grab Bradford. I wouldn't go #1 overall for him. Russel Okung is a better prospect and if I were in position to draft that high I would take him or Eric Berry instead. But if I could get anywhere near the steal that the Jets got trading peanuts to get Sanchez at 5, I would do it in a heartbeat.

3.) With the likelihood that I couldn't get Bradford, I would do everything in my power to get Tebow. Hopefully we'd be able to sit back and have him fall to us in the middle of the first round (which is realistically where I think we'd be drafting if Campbell is bad enough to not extend him).

Tebow has his flaws but he is a special player and we have a the perfect guy to teach him as our coach. Zorn would have to completely rewire him as a passer but he's the best man for the job. And Tebow has everything else you want from a QB--the superb leadership, confidence, and toughness. It would be a huge gamble since he's a seemingly awful fit in a WCO. But our other options all seem pretty crappy. That's why we are all praying that Campbell does indeed work out.

Another direction that all of the Brennan folks are probably thinking (which truthfully, could be our best bet) would be to stick with Brennan as our guy and not worry about drafting a QB in 2010. Instead we'd use our picks to fortify the offense as much around Brennan as possible. For instance, drafting a stud offensive tackle and center in 1 & 2, and a change of pace back. Or even another superb wide receiver since there will be so many of them available in the 2010 class.

What do you all think?

Definitely give Brennan a chance, draft a QB.

Free agency gets difficult because of the Franchise Tag. As you said Manning and Rivers are the only two QBs on there I'd want, and they'll be franchised or resigned.

If Jim Zorn stays, give Jason Campbell a cheap contract. He can be a stopgap or veteran backup. The only free agent QB I'd be interested in is Philip Rivers, but I doubt we'll be able to get him. The football season in college is also very long, who knows which quarterbacks will suddenly rise and become bonafide first round draft picks.

If Campbell goes after '09, i dont think there is much of a choice.

1. Draft a QB

2. Then have an open competition.

If you draft really high - it's open compeition - but we all know that the drafted QB will have a better chance at starting with all that rookie money being thrown at him. So Brennan would have a mountain to climb.

Probably end up drafting whatever QB plays for USC, that appears to be Mitch Mustain. A transfer so likely has two years left, so scratch that.

Seriously though, if Campbell struggled to the point where we could not get a deal elsewhere, keep him for the minimum and draft the future. You would have a 2 way battle for starter between Campbell, Brennan than bring rookie along until you throw him into the fire when you are 1-5.

My guess is JC or Brennan will be the Skins QB next year. It's hard to predict though because as many have said Zorn and JC are linked at this point. If JC does well, he may very well resign and Zorn stays put. If JC plays poorly that most likely means the team struggled. If that's the case both are probably gone and we have an unknown with a new coach and his QB preference. None of the guys listed above minus Rivers will be much of if at all an upgrade on JC.

If Campbell goes after '09, i dont think there is much of a choice.

1. Draft a QB

2. Then have an open competition.

If you draft really high - it's open compeition - but we all know that the drafted QB will have a better chance at starting with all that rookie money being thrown at him. So Brennan would have a mountain to climb.

True, but it depends on the prospect we take. If it's anyone other than Bradford, I think Brennan or Collins would easily win the job. All of the rest of the prospects need to sit and learn. We don't really have a recent history of rushing rookies, I doubt they'd even open the job up for competition unless it was a top 10 pick.

If we start out as we continued last year, say 3-5/2-6 at half way, and the playoff's are looking REAL slim, then we'd be REAL remiss to not get Brennan in there and see just exactly we have or don't have in the kid going forward.

Outside of him, I guess were lucky that next years class is real strong, but unlucky that with the D we have, were not gona' be picking high enough to get one. That's one of the things that amused me during the Cutler chase, the "it's way too high a price to pay" brigade. Chances are, if we are starting over, it'll cost us two ones at least to trade up high enough to get a Sam Bradford or someone of his ilk. (I agree with the OP on Bradford btw, kids the creme of this crop and looks destined for stardom in the pro's IMHO.). So what's worse, two firsts, and a third for a fifth in return, and in so doing getting a 3 year vet, or gambling those two firsts on a rookie who may or may not amount to anything?

Hail.

True, but it depends on the prospect we take. If it's anyone other than Bradford, I think Brennan or Collins would easily win the job. All of the rest of the prospects need to sit and learn. We don't really have a recent history of rushing rookies, I doubt they'd even open the job up for competition unless it was a top 10 pick.

I think the problem lies here, where if you dont take Bradford, you have to take the next QB. Hopefully, some others emerge with 1st round talent, and it's not just Bradford going in the first round.

Actually, hopefully Campbell just works out, hahaha.

If Jim Zorn stays, give Jason Campbell a cheap contract. He can be a stopgap or veteran backup. The only free agent QB I'd be interested in is Philip Rivers, but I doubt we'll be able to get him. The football season in college is also very long, who knows which quarterbacks will suddenly rise and become bonafide first round draft picks.

You've got a point but the 2010 class already has a bunch of QBs who have multiple years of starting film to evaluate and who've already gotten a lot of praise. There could be a few Mark Sanchez one year wonders, but for the most part the big name's in this class are already well known quantities.

Assuming the CBA situation isn't resolved, Campbell will be a RFA next offseason. Even if he does terribly, we will give him the highest possible tender(1st and 3rd). We would probably then make him part of a trade for a proven QB or just keep him as our #2 for a year.

Colt Mccoy in 2010!

I'm not at all a fan of McCoy. He's got more film on him than anyone in the class so maybe it's just easier to pick him apart. But he's going to take a while to be ready to run an offense like ours and his arm and body type aren't as good as Tebow's and he's got a lot of the same problems. He's more accurate in the intermediate game certainly. But he's a scrambler in a shotgun spread who's not as good at doing that as either Vince Young or Tebow are.

His skill set is a lot like Matt Cassel's. Do we think that would work here? I doubt it.

This thread is based on the assumption that he won't be on the team in 2010 leaving us to find a new starter at QB.

Also for the purposes of this thread assume that Zorn will get a fair shot so he'll be here in 2010 regardless. So the WCO is here to stay.

With all that in mind, I want to compile a list of possible players who'd be good short and long term options for us at QB (Assuming the CBA is extended).

SO... if I were Jim Zorn and Vinny Cerrato (heaven help me) and needed a plan at QB for 2010 and beyond that didn't involve Jason Campbell, I would:

What do you all think?

Quick answer:

The winner of an open competition between:

Todd Collins and Colt Brennan + and a WCO QB we bring in between: Kellen Clemens, Jeff Garcia, Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels

In 2010 i think the team as a whole will be closer to contention then we are now because the Redshirts should be contributing, the OL should be younger/better, and the defense should be stout.

So i don't think we would be looking at drafting a rookie QB when Zorn has been grooming Colt and we could use the draft to address the OL.

It all depends on how far along Colt has progressed.

If Colt is ready to play then its a no-brainer.

Quick answer:

The winner of an open competition between:

Todd Collins and Colt Brennan + and a WCO QB we bring in between: Kellen Clemens, Jeff Garcia, Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels

This is also presuming of course Zorn survives through 2010 and were still running a WCO.

If were looking for a new QB, I'm betting it's a new HC leading the search

Hail.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but that Colt kid from Hawaii, he had a decent preseason last year. I'm not sure if anyone remembers because he is a rookie and all. I wouldn't mind to see them give this kid a chance. I hope I am not the only one that feels this way...

If we draft Bradford I will shoot myself.

He is alex smith 2.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Yxihmp9UA

watch that. That pretty much sums up Bradford's play. Check down to your tailback who picks up 20 YAC, and throw to wide open WR's.

He plays a good D in florida and gets shown up by Tebow. No thanks

He's got good footwork and he makes good decisions. He also looks accurate, has good touch and a sense of timing and he moves around well. You're right, he's not really attempting the incredibly difficult throws across his body and on the sidelines but that's not to say he can't do that. Who knows. Also, I'd like to see him throw on the run since he looked like a pretty hesitant with the scramble. He's quick enough though. The few snaps he took from behind center he looked really sharp on.

You can't downgrade a guy just because his team is awesome and his weapons are good.

But I am somewhat in agreement with you. I think Tebow has accomplished more against better competition. But Bradford is pretty far ahead of him as a passer. We'll see what happens this season since Urban Meyer said he was going to make Tebow play in the pocket in a more traditional offense.

Clemens, Orton, Pennington, and Carr could all be good free agents to bring in and compete with Brennan. If Brennan beats them, since he will have the system advantage, let him play. Otherwise, give one of these guys some time. I'm confident Orton could win with our defense since it is similar to the bears', and hate on him all you want, I think Carr could play for a team that doesn't set the record for sacks given up in a season.

At the very worst, Pennington is a savvy veteran who wins, the perfect mentor for Brennan or whomever we draft. If it really came to it, I wouldn't mind Grossman either. I'd rather Brennan play with Grossman backing him up than Brennan play with Collins backing him up. This might be getting overlooked, but I think this is Collins's last year here too.

Archived