Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming Jason Campbell doesn't work out, what are our options?

Going Commando

Its not up to him. He plays for a coach with a certain style of offense that calls for him to play a certain way, which is the best of his abilities. It works for them in Florida, why would they change it? So Tebow can have a better NFL career? Ummmm, no.

Urban Meyer has said he will incorporate more pro style into Florida's offense this year.

"Tim Tebow found himself in an unfamiliar position when the Florida Gators opened practice Wednesday.

Because Tebow takes nearly all of his snaps from the shotgun formation in UF's spread offense, NFL scouts have questioned his ability to adjust to a more traditional pro-style formation.

New quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler is doing his best to change that.

b?P=b1G950wNdHHw2oKTSQYV_wX4GNbBNkpl668ACY0Y&T=14t8t5jrk%2fX%3d1248193455%2fE%3d95862291%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d14045205%2fH%3dY29udGVudD0ibGVhZ3VlPW5jYWFm%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dBF750D4C&U=13eve1369%2fN%3d6rfDBmKImg4-%2fC%3d725980.13569520.13629680.1323516%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d5767894%2fV%3d1

"I keep hearing that the NFL is so much different than college, so we're trying to help him get more comfortable," UF coach Urban Meyer said.

Loeffler, a longtime assistant at Michigan, is credited with the development of NFL quarterbacks Chad Henne, Tom Brady and Brian Griese.

Meyer said he also plans to incorporate a no-huddle offense this spring."

Unless Colt Brennan is the next Tony Romo sits to pee' date=' that's the only plan that makes sense.[/quote']

IF thats the case, lets move on from Colt now. Tony Romo sits to pee is not a long term solution IMO. I'm not saying that as a Cowboy hater, I am saying that based on his yearly peformance down the stretch of the year.

Urban Meyer has said he will incorporate more pro style into Florida's offense this year.

"Tim Tebow found himself in an unfamiliar position when the FloridaGators opened practice Wednesday.

Because Tebow takes nearly all of his snaps from the shotgun formation in UF's spread offense, NFL scouts have questioned his ability to adjust to a more traditional pro-style formation.

New quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler is doing his best to change that.

b?P=b1G950wNdHHw2oKTSQYV_wX4GNbBNkpl668ACY0Y&T=14t8t5jrk%2fX%3d1248193455%2fE%3d95862291%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d14045205%2fH%3dY29udGVudD0ibGVhZ3VlPW5jYWFm%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dBF750D4C&U=13eve1369%2fN%3d6rfDBmKImg4-%2fC%3d725980.13569520.13629680.1323516%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d5767894%2fV%3d1

"I keep hearing that the NFL is so much different than college, so we're trying to help him get more comfortable," UF coach Urban Meyer said.

Loeffler, a longtime assistant at Michigan, is credited with the development of NFL quarterbacks Chad Henne, Tom Brady and Brian Griese.

Meyer said he also plans to incorporate a no-huddle offense this spring."

Well there you go. That will certainly makes things more interesting down there and watching Tebow.

Good find:cheers:

So Coach your confirming Colt has beat out Chase?

Yes, Colt has already beat out Chase as he's already one year ahead of him. Chase will be on the practice squad or fighting for the 3rd roster spot at QB should Brennan beat out Collins for #2.

The only way Chase makes the active roster is with an injury.

knock on wood.

I take back my earlier analysis. Snead looks like the man for us if we were taking a QB in 2010. If he went too early then I'd try for Tebow in the second and get an offensive tackle in the first.

What do you think about the potential second round tackles? It's a really deep class at the position and there should be guys like Adam Ulatoski and Sam Young around. He's a mountain and I think he could play the right. If Snead were unavailable, I agree that our best bet might just be to fortify the offensive line around Brennan and see what we have with him.

I think that in the next six months, Snead will solidfy the #2 spot, and may leapfrog Bradford based on this season. He is definately not a known commodity, but that will certainly change as the season progresses.

Take a look at this changing perspective on Sanchez:

10/12/08: Mark Sanchez entered the Arizona State game with a completion rate of 66.7, 13 touchdowns, three picks and a YPA of 8.9. Unfortunately, he tossed three picks against the Sun Devils. Sanchez is a mid-to-late first-round prospect if he declares early. I doubt he does; we've seen USC quarterbacks play through their eligibility in the past. Trojan boosters must be paying them a great salary (not that there's anything wrong with that; lots of schools do it anyway).

12/20/08: Finished the year with 2,794 yards, 30 touchdowns and 10 picks, with a YPA of 8.4 and a completion percentage of 64.4. However, Mark Sanchez can't really read defenses, a disability which is masked by the talent around him and the fact that he's always playing with a huge lead (thanks to his great defense and weak opponents).

1/13/09: Mark Sanchez really proved his doubters (myself included) wrong in the Rose Bowl Presented by Kraft. Sanchez debacled the Nittany Lions, finishing 28-of-35 for 413 yards and four scores. He's definitely back into first-round consideration after a mediocre ending to his junior year.

1/15/09: With Sam Bradford going back to school, Mark Sanchez announced that he's declaring early. There's a good chance the Chiefs take him with the No. 3 pick, given that there are currently no defenders worth taking that high.

The "10/12/08 comment" is nearly three months away from where we are now, so it is clear that things change dramatically over the course of the season, even for players with extensive game history. It is tough to do more than speculate on where McCoy, Tebow, Snead and Bradford will be, not to mention any under the radar Flacco type guys (the Central Mich QB, etc.)

If I had my pick today, I am taking Snead. If we will are discussing this in January, I may have a different take, based on draft postion, and a myriad of other in-season factors (both in terms of the Redskins and the college prospects). But again, I am worried that even if QB is a need, OL will be a bigger issue for us. My hope is that this season will allow us to reduce our uncertainties and force us to address woefully under staffed and over aged position, starting at OL and continuing to LB.

Bringing me to your second point...I know nothing about the lower tier OL prospects. Without looking, I am pretty confident Sam Young is a USC guy, and off the top of my head, I know about Okung, Black, Williams. But even more so than QB, OL rankings change dramatically over the course of the season. I recall preseason NFL OT prospects ranking out as Andre Smith, Oher, Monroe and Jason Smith, in that order. So I don't want to go out on a limb as much with who I like as our OT pick when I am just not that familiar with them.

But I can say with conviction that if an OT isn't one of our 1st or 2nd round picks (barring major change due to injury or preformance to a projected or expected '10 starter), I will be furious.

I love talking prospects, and look forward to discussing the QBs, the OTs, and hopefully the LBs and a 5th round RB as the fall progresses.

I wouldn't take too much stock in this statement. Anybody who knows anything about Meyer knows he couldn't really care less about Tebow actually adapting his style to a more "pro style" offensive fit for the NFL. That's not how Meyer's system is really run, and he could care less about Tebow's NFL dreams if it starts to hurt the Gators during games.

I think there's zero chance in hell that we draft a QB next year. Snyder didn't give Haynesworth $100 million and put all that into a championship caliber defense to have a rookie starting at QB. If he's not gonna re-up Jason, he will want a clear upgrade.

There are 4 scenarios our outlook next offseason and the futures of Zorn, Campbell and Brennan will be clear in each circumstance. Let me just start by saying that something like 4-12 is not a possibility with our defense.

Scenario 1: Redskins light it up, offense clicking, we are easily a playoff team with Jason Campbell at the helm. Maybe even with the Super Bowl.

Scenario 2: Campbell doesn't win games, but is an efficient manager and we make it to the playoffs.

Scenario 3: The team is floundering and the offense is sputtering. Colt Brennan takes the reins and is the spark the offense needs. We make the playoffs or come close.

Scenario 4: The team is floundering and the offense is sputtering. Colt Brennan takes the reins and doesn't impress. We miss the playoffs.

In cases 1-3, Jim Zorn keeps his job. In scenario 1, Campbell gets a big contract. In scenario 3, Brennan is the starter. Scenario 2 and 4 are the interesting ones. In these situations, which I think are highly possible, we will look for a new QB. If we look for a new QB, Danny will go for the gusto.

He will talk to Phillip Rivers people and sign him, regardless of what happens with the CBA. Because of the pedning uncapped season, the Chargers will have a hard time extending Rivers so they will likely franchise tag him. Danny will offer him a contract regardless and be willing to part with two 1st rounders (2010 and 2011 picks). Since we likely will not have a top 5 pick, it would cost nearly the same contract and the same picks to move up for Bradford.

We might even work out a deal with San Diego to send them our 1st, 2nd, and other picks so they could reap the immediate return instead of a future 1st. I believe San Diego will do this because this is the last year of their window and I don't believe they have enough to take out Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, etc. San Diego will win the division again, but not go far in the playoffs.

That will probably be the end for Norv Turner. LT and Jamal Williams are on the downside of their careers. Rivers, Merriman, Sproles, and Vincent Jackson will be free agents. Why not pick the players you really want to keep or that won't cripple you financially and rebuild?

So to answer the question, our 2010 QB will be Campbell, Brennan or Rivers. If we can't get Rivers.

Archived