Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Assuming Jason Campbell doesn't work out, what are our options?

Going Commando

Personally I wouldn't mind bringing in Charlie Whitehurst to see if he has anything at the NFL level. He played at Clemson (yes, I know you'll be thinking I'm a Clemson Homer) but he was I'd say about 80% or so of the team then. Very similar to how Phillip Rivers was at NC State. I'd say Rivers had to carry a team that was less equipped than Charlie but both were still similar QB's. Anyhow, I think we'd be able to bring him in for three reasons that would be pretty good in my opinion. First, we could see what he has developed into since being drafted by Marty & since sitting behind Rivers. Two is he is going to be a cheap guy since he hasn't played a down since being in the NFL ala Jake Delhomme. If he doesn't pan out as a starter or starter material, then we could use him as an amiable backup to take over for a retiring Todd Collins and we'd then have the Colt experiment taking place. Course if Todd wants to keep sticking around he really doesn't have a whole lot of wear and tear maybe Todd could play QB for a full season before riding off into the sunset. Anyhow, out of the list posted at the beginning this is what would be ideal to me on how to handle it next season.

Actually, I agree with you. After watching BC prove that it can beat you in outlandish ways year after year ( :silly: ), I've also come to the conclusion that Whitehurst is more the victim of incredibly inopportune plays by those around him than he is incapable of making those plays. I still remember the throw to the endzone two years ago that would have gotten you guys a last-second win had your receiver not dropped the pass. One of the many reasons I scream for a more aggressive BC defense.

(By the way, my sister's looking at colleges right now, and I've been diving into the college information to help her out. I've come to the conclusion that Clemson is a great fit for her. If you have any personal insights, just PM them over to me.)

Short of injury, nothing's going to happen between now and the start of the season.

OK coach.

A lot can happen before then. I am telling you if Jason stinks up the first couple of series in the preseason and Todd or Colt light it up he is in deep trouble. It should be open competition anyway and maybe is without calling it one. Going to be interesting.

OK coach.

A lot can happen before then. I am telling you if Jason stinks up the first couple of series in the preseason and Todd or Colt light it up he is in deep trouble. It should be open competition anyway and maybe is without calling it one. Going to be interesting.

So Coach your confirming Colt has beat out Chase?

Does Colt Brennan have the "sizzle" that a 1st round QB would? Eh, we all know what our owner cares about.

We all do know what our owners care about. But you can't tell me that Colt hasn't brought that "sizzle" that they are looking for!?

He has a following of his own. The fans that he has brought from Hawaii alone has generated much more interest. What other backup 6th QB is selling jerseys the way his has?

Trust me, if Colt can prove himself a starter, they will go with Colt. Problem is everyone thinks they know football, even more than the coaches. The kid has some good showings in preseason and all of a sudden he is ready to be the starter? Not quite. I'll trust the coaching staff to play him when they think he is ready.

Does Colt Brennan have the "sizzle" that a 1st round QB would? Eh, we all know what our owner cares about.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe that Mr. Snyder is JUST about the 1st rd sizzle that a QB would bring.

Imo, he honestly believes that he needs to upgrade the position.

I'm not commenting on whether he's accurate or not but he really believes it.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe that Mr. Snyder is JUST about the 1st rd sizzle that a QB would bring.

Imo, he honestly believes that he needs to upgrade the position.

I'm not commenting on whether he's accurate or not but he really believes it.

This is exactly why you will see an unofficial QB competition this preseason. If you hear boos with Jason a change will be made so fast it will make your head spin.

oh lol I was confused then...I thought you were referring to Colt Brennan, as per usual reference around here (and a lot in this thread)...

Well yeah, McCoy has excelled incredibly in the Texas system, pretty much as their only offense last year especially...the only real questions about him and Bradford are the systems they're coming from, and McCoy isn't spectacularly comfortable as a pocket passer, although staying his senior year may benefit him in that respect.

LOL... I didnt notice you had McCoy in bold either and I was like wtf???

I saw almost every game Colt McCoy( lol ) played last year and I was really impressed though. He kinda reminds me a little of a Trent Green type but we shall see.

This is exactly why you will see an unofficial QB competition this preseason. If you hear boos with Jason a change will be made so fast it will make your head spin.

You must be in a state of confusions, because if you think some boos are going to change the starter, then you are sorely confused.

JC and Zorn are tied at the hip. Colt is chillin. He knows he isn't going anywhere. Zorn is not going to let some boos determine his fate. Now if it is few games into the regular season and JC is doing poorly, then I would expect a change. But it would have to be pretty piss poor play.

I have felt that way before and then later ashamed... I will be at the Dallas game cheering for whoever is on the field no matter what! :point2sky

If Tebow continues the style of play he is famous for, he will be an NFL bust. If he is wise, he will concentrate on being a PASSER, not an athlete so that he can make the transition to the NFL.....but I think he won't....

Its not up to him. He plays for a coach with a certain style of offense that calls for him to play a certain way, which is the best of his abilities. It works for them in Florida, why would they change it? So Tebow can have a better NFL career? Ummmm, no.

I am telling you if Jason stinks up the first couple of series in the preseason and Todd or Colt light it up he is in deep trouble. It should be open competition anyway and maybe is without calling it one. Going to be interesting.

Wait a second.

This thread isn't even about this season, its about 2010.

But, if JC struggles in a couple of series in preseason or Todd/Colt light it up it won't matter because JC is the starter.

Coach Zorn has made this clear since day 1.

Your statement is a by product of Synder's offseason public and pathetic fawning over Cutler and Sanchez.

It has little to do with JC's actual play.

Don't get it twisted JC's starting spot is not in jeopardy, Zorn and Vinnie are tied to JC and they want him to be the starter and want him to succeed.

The TEAM is behind JC.

And you should be too.

BTW- An open competition takes away practice reps from the starter. Which in turn slows the overall progress of the offense.

Especially, when you're trying get players like Davis, Devin and Kelly comfortable in the offense.

And that ain't gonna happen.

Wait a second.

This thread isn't even about this season, its about 2010.

But, if JC struggles in a couple of series in preseason or Todd/Colt light it up it won't matter because JC is the starter.

Coach Zorn has made this clear since day 1.

Your statement is a by product of Synder's offseason public and pathetic fawning over Cutler and Sanchez.

It has little to do with JC's actual play.

Don't get it twisted JC's starting spot is not in jeopardy, Zorn and Vinnie are tied to JC and they want him to be the starter and want him to succeed.

The TEAM is behind JC.

And you should be too.

BTW- An open competition takes away practice reps from the starter. Which in turn slows the overall progress of the offense.

Especially, when you're trying get players like Davis, Devin and Kelly comfortable in the offense.

And that ain't gonna happen.

You have your opinion and I have mine, let's leave it at that.

I am also not crazy about Tebow. These have been discussed ad nauseum, but I side with those worried about his motion, his place in the NFL, and the fact that he is more juiced than the participants in the 1999 Home Run Derby. (One of those is a psuedo-joke). However, he is a winner, and the last time I was unsure about a QB winner was when I didn't think Matty Ice was legit. Whoops. However, Matt Ryan did not have the benefit of playing for the most loaded team since the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. (side note, that teams 4-deep at RB was Portis, Davenport, Payton, McGahee) I wouldn't draft him in the top ten though. And I used to think he wouldn't be a 1st rounder because of how talented this draft class will be, but I have to say, if I'm, picking 25-32, he's very, very intriguing. But not the QB to take us to the promised land.

Probably the best post of the thread thus far. Yes it would be a huge risk to take Tebow and hope he pans out. He just needs so much coaching and teaching to make it. On the plus side, we'd have plenty of time to see if we had anything with Brennan, probably a good 3 seasons or so. Another downside would be that that doesn't match up with the window our defense is built for. We'd have to keep reloading. But if Tebow was sitting there in round 2 when we picked and we hadn't already picked Snead, I think we should take him.

However, I love, love, love Jevon Snead, the guy who transfered because of Colt McCoy. Pro-style offense, battle tested in a conference that plays defense, good numbers, and able to carry his team that doesn't start a future NFLer at every position. I will be watching his season closely, as he has lost his number one target, to see if he's the real deal. But for me, at this moment, he seems like the pick.

And as I have made this case before, if we are looking for a QB next Feb, obviously JC hasn't gotten it done. However, I think we all can agree our D is very good this year and could be special if things (cough, converting a DE to LB, cough) work out. So I don't see a 4-12 year even if Jason farts it up this season. But without a steady offense, 6-10ish seems possible, and a pick in the 7-13 range would be likely. Not high enough for Bradford, not low enough for Tebow, but just the right value for Snead.

I haven't heard much about Snead so I just watched some clips of him. He's very impressive. I like the way he plays even more than Bradford. He looks a lot like Aaron Rodgers did at Cal without that crappy throwing style Rodgers had. He's got a strong arm and he was completing throws on the run and accross his body and the 12-15 yard outs on the sideline to receivers facing double coverage. Those are tough throws that you just don't see Bradford making.

I haven't seen any of his statistics so I don't know what his numbers are like, but just watching him play he looks even better than Bradford. He's throwing pro-routes and playing in a pro offense. Bradford has that awful throwing motion and takes a lot of snaps in the shotgun. And his arm is definitely stronger than Bradford's.

I take back my earlier analysis. Snead looks like the man for us if we were taking a QB in 2010. If he went too early then I'd try for Tebow in the second and get an offensive tackle in the first.

What do you think about the potential second round tackles? It's a really deep class at the position and there should be guys like Adam Ulatoski and Sam Young around. He's a mountain and I think he could play the right. If Snead were unavailable, I agree that our best bet might just be to fortify the offensive line around Brennan and see what we have with him.

oh lol I was confused then...I thought you were referring to Colt Brennan, as per usual reference around here (and a lot in this thread)...

Well yeah, McCoy has excelled incredibly in the Texas system, pretty much as their only offense last year especially...the only real questions about him and Bradford are the systems they're coming from, and McCoy isn't spectacularly comfortable as a pocket passer, although staying his senior year may benefit him in that respect.

McCoy is the least desirable of all the top tier QBs to me. He is just too similar to Alex Smith and that hasn't worked at the NFL level. He doesn't have great arm strength, he's a listtle small, and has almost no experience in a pro-style offense. He's pretty accurate but the defense's he plays are generally crappy and he never has to turn his back to them anyway. He seems like a poor man's version of Vince Young without the arm strength, i.e. Alex Smith.

Other than the obvious possibility of giving Colt a shot, I actually might make a bet on a current dark horse and look to Riley Skinner. Having watched a large amount of ACC games over the past year, I get that "it" feeling from Skinner, and he's very accurate, which is still an underrated part of evaluating a quarterback. (All you arm strength nuts can go ogle a collage of biceps for all I care - just ask Kyle Boller how far his arm strength took him.) Skinner's not a flashy prospect right now, but I get the feeling that he'll be in the best position in the pros after five years.

That's an overly simplistic and vague way of evaluating a QB. Arm strength is only one factor in evaluating a QB, but it's one of the most important. You're a fool if you try and ignore it. It's about giving yourself options in the passing offense. It's not something you can coach like 75% of the position. You have to get a guy who already has it and hope that you can teach them everything else they'll need to know. Chad Pennington can't make all of the throws you'll see in a typical pro offense. Plain and simple, he's limited in the types of plays you can call and the types of routes his receivers can run. He's been fairly successful. But he's also been awful at times. Look no further than the Ravens playoff game last year to see what a lack of arm strength gets you against an elite defense. They knew that there were certain types of routes that they didn't have to worry about because Pennington couldn't throw them. And when he tried to, Ed Reed had a field day and the entire next week we got to read about how he was a future hall of famer at the position.

That's an overly simplistic and vague way of evaluating a QB. Arm strength is only one factor in evaluating a QB, but it's one of the most important. You're a fool if you try and ignore it. It's about giving yourself options in the passing offense. It's not something you can coach like 75% of the position. You have to get a guy who already has it and hope that you can teach them everything else they'll need to know. Chad Pennington can't make all of the throws you'll see in a typical pro offense. Plain and simple, he's limited in the types of plays you can call and the types of routes his receivers can run. He's been fairly successful. But he's also been awful at times. Look no further than the Ravens playoff game last year to see what a lack of arm strength gets you against an elite defense. They knew that there were certain types of routes that they didn't have to worry about because Pennington couldn't throw them. And when he tried to, Ed Reed had a field day and the entire next week we got to read about how he was a future hall of famer at the position.

Erm... yes, since I wasn't trying to write a senior thesis about quarterback evaluation, my post probably landed on the "simplistic" side of things. I could get into a twelve-page breakdown of why I believe the things I do, but it would only clog the forum. Let's just say that I'm not "trying to ignore it," I'm merely saying that it's very much overrated - just like 40 times for wide receivers.

...JC and Zorn are tied at the hip. Colt is chillin. He knows he isn't going anywhere. Zorn is not going to let some boos determine his fate. Now if it is few games into the regular season and JC is doing poorly, then I would expect a change. But it would have to be pretty piss poor play.

Makes me shudder just thinking what that would look like. JC could surprise everyone and light it up, but then again if he doesn't--it's good to know Todd and Colt are behind him.

Its not up to him. He plays for a coach with a certain style of offense that calls for him to play a certain way, which is the best of his abilities. It works for them in Florida, why would they change it? So Tebow can have a better NFL career? Ummmm, no.

You are correct......

Archived