Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny to Skins in 2010?

RWJ

i dont think it would take an 0 - 16 to get the boot. as long as he won 6 games i think he would be safe .... i hope we win at least 12

I bet he's gone if we don't at least finish 8-8. Especially if there are some big name coaches on the market like Shanahan and others.

quick how many coaches has Snyder ACTUALLY fired?

give up?

the answer is ONE, the one he "didn't" hire, Norv Turner.

Shotty (8-8) quit when Snyder wanted him to be the coach only

Ok, this is just untrue.

Marty was fired. The proof of which is that the Redskins had to pay him money after he was released from his duties. The Chargers actually paid him less than going value because Dan Snyder was still paying him. In fact, there was a great line on the radio, where the announcer basically said, Marty said that he would be happy to go away after Dan had paid him every dime that he owed him. They reached some type of a buy out, but make no mistake, Marty was fired, he did not quit.

And I do not believe that in Marty's contract Dan had the right to take away the GM duties without firing him. It was written into his contract that Marty had complete control. And you can't modify a contract without both parties agreeing.

I guess the other one who truly wasn't fired, but certainly wasn't retained was Terry "Robinsky".

I don't every blame Snyder for firing Norv, nor for not re-hiring Terry, and Gibbs and Spurrier both resigned. But he fired Marty. Which was the singularly most stupid move he's made as the 'Skins owner. That and bringing Deion to DC. Both were just stupid.

Ok, this is just untrue.

Marty was fired. The proof of which is that the Redskins had to pay him money after he was released from his duties. The Chargers actually paid him less than going value because Dan Snyder was still paying him. In fact, there was a great line on the radio, where the announcer basically said, Marty said that he would be happy to go away after Dan had paid him every dime that he owed him. They reached some type of a buy out, but make no mistake, Marty was fired, he did not quit.

And I do not believe that in Marty's contract Dan had the right to take away the GM duties without firing him. It was written into his contract that Marty had complete control. And you can't modify a contract without both parties agreeing.

I guess the other one who truly wasn't fired, but certainly wasn't retained was Terry "Robinsky".

I don't every blame Snyder for firing Norv, nor for not re-hiring Terry, and Gibbs and Spurrier both resigned. But he fired Marty. Which was the singularly most stupid move he's made as the 'Skins owner. That and bringing Deion to DC. Both were just stupid.

Snyder "Fired" Marty the GM, wanting him to stay on as coach, Marty balked, and they worked out a settlement.

Yeah and you can bet your bottom dollar he gave the ones that quit a courtesy "resign or i fire you" option...

name your price

none were given that option

in fact Snyder is on record trying to retain all three as coach.

He wanted Marty to coach only, give up the gm duties

Snyder tried to talk Spurrier out of resigning, and he was working on an extension for Gibbs.

name your price

Snyder tried to talk Spurrier out of resigning, and he was working on an extension for Gibbs.

You're completely right Bubba. I remember on local news around here (DC area) there were reporters camped out front of Redskins Park for the 2+ days that Snyder and Marty were in negotiations because Snyder wanted Marty to stay. Marty knew he would get paid no matter what, so he forced Snyder's hand.

quick how many coaches has Snyder ACTUALLY fired?

give up?

the answer is ONE, the one he "didn't" hire, Norv Turner.

Shotty (8-8) quit when Snyder wanted him to be the coach only, Spurrier (7-9, 5-11) quit after 2 years despite Snyder's attempts to get him to reconsider, Snyder was wanting to extend Gibbs (6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7), but Gibbs resigned after a trying season With Taylor's murder and his grandson going through cancer treatments.

The Media creation of Snyder is mostly myth, based on the actions of a young inexperienced owner almost a decade ago. Gibbs had a big influence on Snyder and showing him how to run a football team, and the one thing you need is patience, (and allow your team to build and grow in the same system).

Zorn has said there's been no hints that he's under fire to win this season, Cerrato has said Zorn will be giving time to build the team.

only media nuts have said the rest based on nothing but speculation. Something to write about during the slow summer months. besides....

There is always some big name ex coach to recycle.

Snyder may not have "fired" Shotty, but he stripped him of GM duties.

He ended up paying Shotty after he left the Redskins, and you dont usually do that if someone quits. Unless you are Al Davis, if you release or fire someone, you have to pay them the balance of the contract that is due.

that is exactly what happened with Shotty.

Maybe they reached some kind of amicable parting of the ways ? maybe they didnt and Snyder just did what he had to do. But there is no question

that it was Snyder who forced the issue by letting Marty know he wasnt going to have say over personnel any more.. So did that result in a "You cant fire me, I quit !" scenario ?? Nobody is talking about it now.. but it is clear that Marty wasnt going to return after 1 season, and it was because of what Snyder decided, not Marty walking away (as did Spurrier and Gibbs).

Besides, there have been other HC/GM individuals who have been stripped of GM duties and still continued on at the same place. Holmgren in Seattle and Mike Sherman in GB come to mind. When an owner wants to keep a coach on but clip his wings a little, there are ways to reach an accomodation.

i never read that any such conversation ever occurred with Marty. did you ?

So, whether he jumped on his own, or was pushed, the hand of Snyder was clearly on the back of Marty..

Again, i repeat: Both Zorn and Campbell need to go into the playoffs, at the very least, to insure that they both return.. nothing you have posted, or i have read leads me to believe otherwise

Snyder "Fired" Marty the GM, wanting him to stay on as coach, Marty balked, and they worked out a settlement.

that is a distinction without a real difference.. it probably also shows the real character of Marty.. nowhere before Washington and nowhere after, did he ever have say over personnel.

i cant prove it, but i firmly believe that Marty dug in his heels and forced Snyder to fire him so that he could live off of his contract when Snyder did actually fire him

Simply the fact that Snyder had to pay Marty the remainder of his contract, minus his low SD salary, shows that he was fired.

Marty lowered his salary requirements just to force Snyder to pay him the difference.

to this day, i always felt that Marty was a worm..first for taking a job from someone he had disrespected BEFORE he was hired.. and second, i believe for forcing the issue with Snyder.. third, he was a worm for cutting Larry Centers and "teaching" Darrell Green how to play corner.. fourth, if true, his actions in SD bear that out as well

name your price

lol. Bubba you always crack me up acting as if you know for sure what goes on behind closed doors. You drink the kool-aid UP man. Even if there were reports Snyder tried to talk Suprrier out of resigning (which i have seen none) I wouldn't believe that because Snyder or Spurrier would be the only one who knew if that was true. And further the owner is always going to save face when he can. Snyder wanted him out and it was obvious with both Shotty and Spurrier.

But the bottom line is you nor I don't know for sure what Snyder said to these guys behind closed doors and you really shouldn't act like you do. What you say might be true, but i think its least likely from a business standpoint, which is the only thing Snyder cares about anyway. Come on, no one will be suprised if Zorn is gone after this year if we miss the playoffs.....except for maybe you apparently.

This is just another wishful thinking post that doesn't even make sense at this point. The season hasn't even started and everyone is saying we are going to change the HC because the news is out that they want to come back into coaching. Why would they want to coach for Dan Snyder? What makes this a sure thing? When the regular season starts and a few games have been played that is when this discussion should or should not be discussed.

Uncanny that huh? People that walk of their own volition don't often get paid out.

At times on here, Hollywood would be proud by our reworking of history. :doh:

And as were on about Marty, I had more faith going forward with the way he ended that season, and the direction we'd taken before Snyder stepped back in and re-employed his little lacky, than I did at the end of Zorn's first year going forward.

That's been tempered by a great off season of moves, and attempted moves, but there's still way more questions than answers as regards Zorn.

Hail.

The way some talk about Marty he was some kind of god ... he wasn't he was an anti Gibbs Gibbs took a less talented team in 1983, 1989 and 1991 and took them to the superbowl . Marty took talented teams to the playoffs alright and no futher ... Shottenihiemer teams were reknown UNDER achievers .

Shottenhiemer divided the locker room, he wanted one voice in the locker room and that was his . I hated the 12 months he was here . The 2001 Skins werw a JOKE the reason they went 0-5 was because they were under prepared, under motivated and just not in the condition to play .

The turn around came when the players started playing for thier own pride, and it was sparked by the free lancing LaVar Arrington on defense . But when the team was back to .500 then Marty took over and we lost 3 out of the next 4 with the playoffs on the line . Sure we put up 40 on the Saints and won the final game at the Cards but it was a terrible season .

Our Qb tony Banks ( hand snatched from the Cowboys trash heap) compleated just 53% of his passes got 10 TDs and 10 Ints . Stephen Davis had some massive numbers, but got to the endzone only 5 times . Our leading reciever was Rod Gardner 741 and 4 Tds . The memory I have of that season was Banks chasing the football around the backfield on yet another botched snap .

And the D was hardly swarming it was ranked 10th overall but 20th against the rush and 6th against the pass . The D achieved a massive 25 sacks, a year later under Spurrier we racked up 40.

Shottenhiemer was a disaster and I really wish people would stop pretending he was a meshiah to further their agenda against the front office .

Also remember Shottenhiemer and Snyder didn;t fall out because he wanted to bring Cerratto back but because he wanted to get a redskins legand Bobby Bethard to return to the Skins .

Isn't that something people have been calling for for years for Snyder to bring in a real personell guy ?

I'm hoping Zorn gets at least two more years. Give JC this year to prove whether or not he is the QB of the future. If he isn't we give Colt a chance and see what he can do. But, I can't help think in the back of my head that we are trying to build a defense dynasty that will try to compete with the Steelers and Ravens. Here comes Cowher!

http://floridaskin.blogspot.com/

This is just another wishful thinking post that doesn't even make sense at this point. The season hasn't even started and everyone is saying we are going to change the HC because the news is out that they want to come back into coaching. Why would they want to coach for Dan Snyder? What makes this a sure thing? When the regular season starts and a few games have been played that is when this discussion should or should not be discussed.

why ? 6-8 million per year.. that will be the stardard next year for guys like Cowher, Shanahan and Holmgren.. Chucky wont be far behind...

there are no sure things but, unless Zorn can show that the league hasnt figured him out and that 2-6 wasnt because of poor coaching, he is going to be under the gun.. the way the schedule looks, he needs to get a decent start because it gets very tough down the stretch.. for sure, predicting the strength of the schedule even before camp begins is HIGHLY speculative.

but it still looks like the home stretch will be very tough.

if Zorn sputters out of the gate the fall will be long and hard.. the NFC East may not be the toughest division, but there dont look to be any patsies or sure wins within the division

I like Zorn alot and think he brings a different type of coaching style to the NFL. I hope he succeeds this year, BIG time. If not, then Shannahan probably has the edge due to the Cerrato/Shannahan connection. I don't see Cerrato going anywhere and Shannahan would keep him on the staff. He wouldn't fire an old buddy from the past.

Campbell's contract situation is going to be an albatross this season, I fear.

Hear me out.

Campbell probably gives the team the best chance to win now. But if they don't win, Cambpell is gone. And if Campbell goes, Zorn probably goes with him.

However, Zorn might think that his best chance of coming back in 2010 is to jump on the Colt bandwagon early and make the argument, "I need two years to develop this kid."

Then again, if Colt starts, the team might end up 6-10 and Zorn might still be fired.

Zorn is going to have decided early in the season whether he wants his futured tied to Jason Campbell's success.

If your a Skins fan and you want Shanahan in Washington in 2010, then you're going to have to root for Zorn and the Redskins to fail in 2009.

Tough call if you really do want him.

Not that I'd hope anyone would, but who needs to root for failure?

That, in the main, has sadly taken care of it's self for nigh on two decades in DC, sighs.

Hail.

What is with all this "Zorn is special" and "Zorn deserves 5 more years to prove himself" talk? Can someone point out what exactly Jim Zorn has done here to deserve such loyalty? Not to mention, what he had done to land this job in the first place?

He was in charge of the offense last year, and the offense stunk. I'll concede that the personel wasn't top-notch, but come on...there is nothing so innovative going on with Jim Zorn to believe is some kind of diamond in the rough.

Zorn is now what he was when he was hired, and what he will be at the end of this season. A stop-gap coach who was hired to fill in for a couple years before a big name could be signed.

The only thing that can save Jim Zorn's job beyond this season is a Super Bowl appearance. Otherwise, he and Vinny are as good as gone. Shanny, Cowher, or Holmgren will be coaching AND GM'ing this team next season.

At least I hope so. I mean, pass up a HOF coach to give Jim F'ing Zorn another year or two to figure it out? Gimme a break.

unless the Skins go 0-16 Zorn isn't going anywhere

Snyder took a chance with Zorn, and he will give him time to prove himself, at least 3 years IMO

Is that why they wouldn't confirm his return for this year until a week 16 10-3 win against the Eagles?

Campbell probably gives the team the best chance to win now. But if they don't win' date=' Cambpell is gone. And if Campbell goes, Zorn probably goes with him.

However, Zorn might think that his best chance of coming back in 2010 is to jump on the Colt bandwagon early and make the argument, "I need two years to develop this kid."

Then again, if Colt starts, the team might end up 6-10 and Zorn might still be fired.

Zorn is going to have decided early in the season whether he wants his futured tied to Jason Campbell's success.[/quote']

LKB, in my mind, Campbell has until the bye week. If the Redskins are below .500 and the offense is struggling, I think its Colt time. Even if we're above .500 but we're winning largely on the defense's efforts, things will be interesting.

If the switch is made and then we go through growing pains with Colt for the rest of the season, I hope its not held against Zorn and he's given at least another year. It would be nice if Zorn was able to work with a QB that he had a role in choosing.

Archived