Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny to Skins in 2010?

RWJ

Well, you've got a feature back that Shanahan knows how to use, and you've been talking to him about trades in this off-season, with Cutler being no fluke -- that is, I expect the Cutler move was part of making the Skins look like Denver East precisely to get Shanahn interested.

If Zorn doesn't do something relatively special this season, I would expect Danny Boy to pull the trigger if Shanahan/Cowher/whoever's interested. Zorn's an interesting hire, but also the result of not having their ducks in a row for the hiring process. Blame Gibbs if you want, but Zorn is Fassel and Mariuchi (sp!)'s OC, not the first choice for HC.

I'm not that impressed with Shanahan. His glory years with Elway are back a ways now. The reality is that for many years he enjoyed having Denver playing in a division where usually two of the three teams (San Diego, Kansas City, and Oakland) were facing turmoil.

So generally there was only one challenger to Denver. And to my recollection, Shanahan's Broncos weren't always that successful in overcoming whatever top competitor had emerged. That makes we wonder how successful he would have been in running a team in a more competitive division -- for example, the Browns, Houston . . . or ANY NFC East team.

How would Shanahan fare in the NFC East -- where there tend to be three strong challengers year in and year out? Ask yourself -- if the Eagles replaced Reid with Shanahan would you be worried? How worried would you be if the Cowboys picked up Shanahan -- and that's a place where the coaching situation is less settled than Phillys. I think Coughlin would handle the Giants better, and couldn't imagine how Shanahan would be an upgrade for that team.

As you can I have a hard time understanding why people think Shanahan is so great. Maybe it's because of the few Denver games I did watch -- I wasn't that impressed with the play-calling.

For now, we should stick with Zorn and discover if he's going to develop into one of the new top-tier coaches with a little more seasoning.

I think he will. If Zorn had to leave the Skins, I wouldn't be surprised to see him resurface quickly with another team -- maybe even Denver! He might have an interim job as an OC, but he'd eventually land another HC job; it's early in his career as a coach and maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I have a feeling that Zorn's going to be that good. Why not stick with him a few more years and see. I suspect we can alwasy count on a few "Shanahans" being available each off-season.

I vote no unless this year turns into an absolute disaster.

If this season becomes a disaster... They have to blow it up. If it can't work with a great defense with 2 new monsters, Campbell knowing the offense more than it never will.

Say we go 4-12,They have to get a brand new FO. New QB, RB, WR.

This is my negative side coming through. Id rather get Cowher.

I would want Parcells as GM, Cowher as Head Coach.

But I hope Zorn succeeds because I do see potential in him.

Archived