Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny to Skins in 2010?

RWJ

http://www.rotoworld.com/CONTENT/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFl&majteam=WAS

Why? The Skins are building there defense this year with an already potent one. Shanny is a offensive genius. He could constuct an offense that would be potent by 2011 given what we already have and getting OL would be something that is his strong point. It only makes sense with the drafting of BO and the drafting of JJ. Thoughts?

I think we should give Zorn some time. Who knows, he could be something special! I definitely see the potential for it.

Besides, I thought we were done with other peoples trash? FA or HC.. We need to keep creating our own legends.

Zorn is not a big name. He is Dan Snyder's attempt to develop his own Mike Tomlin or Andy Reid.

But the pressure is on for 2009. I don't see this team sticking with Zorn if the Redskins offense doesn't improve its efficiency to the point where Campbell, Portis and the receivers look crisp and the defense doesn't have to carry the full load yet again.

The Redskins made big moves to sign Haynesworth, draft Orakpo high and resign DeAngelo Hall for a sizeable contract.

There aren't many marquee moves to make next offseason given the cap numbers EXCEPT at the coaching position in case things go south.

Shanahan's downfall, though, is he wants to be his own GM. And he has shown that he really doesn't have a feel for the personnel side the way Bill Parcells does.

He is a good game coach, but needs a strong front office to build the team, especially the defense.

If Coach Zorn doesn't get into the Playoffs this year I can see him being fired.

Not saying I want that to happen I would like to see him get at least 3 years as well...just saying it wouldn't surprise me...who knows maybe Snyder is going to be patient and give this thing the time it needs to work.

I still feel Wade Phillips is under twice as much pressure than Coach Zorn is.

unless the Skins go 0-16 Zorn isn't going anywhere

Snyder took a chance with Zorn, and he will give him time to prove himself, at least 3 years IMO

i cannot see Snyder staying on the sidelines as multiple big name coaches re enter the NFL after next season.. coaches like Shanahan, Holmgren, Cowher, and the infamous Chucky are all making noises about returning to the coaching ranks.

plus guys like Weis and Pete Carroll are always possibles to return to the NFL.. especially given the disparity between top coaching salaries inthe NCAA versus the NFL

for Zorn to return, i think the team not only needs to make the playoffs, but might have

to actually win a playoff game. plus, there is no way Campbell will be returning unless the team does exactly that. so, for Zorn to return without Campbell it would mean that zorn would get 1 more year with either Brennan, or some other new starter.. that simply wont happen. we went through the same ridiculous dance with Zorn accepting the HC job with a number 1 qb already in place.. only the Redskins could conceive of doing the same thing twice in less than 5 years by letting Zorn pick his own qb, and then foisting that guy on the next HC... relax, that wont happen.

what will likely happen is that BOTH Zorn and Campbell with not be returning after the end of the 2009 season..Snyder will avoid the spectacle of the Redskin franchise twisting in the wind while prospective candidates sniff the offer and dance off with other teams. after paying lip service to the Rooney Rule, we will see another HC named in about 1 week after the season officially ends.

my guess would be Shanahan based upon the connection between Cerrato and Shanahan that goes back to the Niners. also, i cannot see either Cowher or Holmgren tolerating Cerrato, so Shanahan would be the least bloody transition and for that reason i would expect Vinny to push hard for him to protect his own backside.

but, no matter who it is, he will be in place before anyone knows what meteor has struck Redskin Park.

this will be followed by a purging of much of the roster of older players-- especially if there is an uncapped year. Snyder will dump contracts right and left, and this will resemble 1981 with an influx of new players under a new HC.. yes, we have already given up our 3rd and 6th rounders for the next draft, but the defense has already started the youth transition and will be built around a core of players like Haynesworth, Hall, Barnes, Horton, Landry. Orakpo, Jarmon, Moore, Rogers, and hopefully, the 2 linebackers from the 09 draft.

the offense will be rapidly purged of older, declining players and that is where the influx of youth will come, surrounding whoever is selected as the next starting QB.. and that selection will be made by the new HC.. more reason why it wont be Cowher, but rather an Offensive coach.. if i were ranking them in probabilities i would put it

Shanahan

Weis (if Bellichick got redemption his second time in a better situation, why not Weis

who played a big role in Brady's development and also has a ND connection ??)

Gruden (is not a HC who wants to be GM)

Holmgren (not likely to want to head east again, and would be seen a stabbing a

former assitant inthe back)

one thing i DONT see Snyder doing is going the route of Coordinator again. he want to hit the ground running and no learning curves will be permitted this time around.

that would mitigate a little against Weis, but he has been a HC in college

in short, Zorn wins big in 2009, or he is a QB coach somewhere else in 2010. i think the equation is that simple....

unless the Skins go 0-16 Zorn isn't going anywhere

Snyder took a chance with Zorn, and he will give him time to prove himself, at least 3 years IMO

agreed

even though its danny and there may be a big named coach or two out there doesnt mean hes not going to wait it out one more year..who knows maybe another coach will pop up he and we can drool over.

I think we should give Zorn some time. Who knows, he could be something special! I definitely see the potential for it.

Besides, I thought we were done with other peoples trash? FA or HC.. We need to keep creating our own legends.

Since the year 1996 when Holmgren won the superbowl with the Packers, three head coaches, Brian Billick, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin, won superbowls on their first head coaching stints. I'd say other people's "trash" has worked in the head coaching department. Generalizing is bad for you.

Zorn is something special and we must let him prove that. I understand that we are still used to switching coaches every other year but when has that ever worked out? Gibbs II was something the franchise really needed but lets not forget it was made possible in part because Spurrier quit. If we would have given that guy a third year, Zorn definitely gets his full contract.

You're as nuts as most people around here think Snyder is if you want to go back to the Norv-Robiskie-Schottenheimer-Spurrier era by bringing in a big name regardless of how the coach already in the building performs.

Zorn is something special and we must let him prove that. I understand that we are still used to switching coaches every other year but when has that ever worked out? Gibbs II was something the franchise really needed but lets not forget it was made possible in part because Spurrier quit. If we would have given that guy a third year, Zorn definitely gets his full contract.

You're as nuts as most people around here think Snyder is if you want to go back to the Norv-Robiskie-Schottenheimer-Spurrier era by bringing in a big name regardless of how the coach already in the building performs.

All talk of a Coaching change aside when one's already in situ, just what has Zorn done to lead you to believe that he's "something special?"

I'm not on about a hypothetical of what he might or might not become over time, just real curious as to how you rate him so highly right now after the complete debacle that was '08, on most all fronts, not least from a Coaching perspective. :whoknows:

Hail.

in short, Zorn wins big in 2009, or he is a QB coach somewhere else in 2010. i think the equation is that simple....

quick how many coaches has Snyder ACTUALLY fired?

give up?

the answer is ONE, the one he "didn't" hire, Norv Turner.

Shotty (8-8) quit when Snyder wanted him to be the coach only, Spurrier (7-9, 5-11) quit after 2 years despite Snyder's attempts to get him to reconsider, Snyder was wanting to extend Gibbs (6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7), but Gibbs resigned after a trying season With Taylor's murder and his grandson going through cancer treatments.

The Media creation of Snyder is mostly myth, based on the actions of a young inexperienced owner almost a decade ago. Gibbs had a big influence on Snyder and showing him how to run a football team, and the one thing you need is patience, (and allow your team to build and grow in the same system).

Zorn has said there's been no hints that he's under fire to win this season, Cerrato has said Zorn will be giving time to build the team.

only media nuts have said the rest based on nothing but speculation. Something to write about during the slow summer months. besides....

There is always some big name ex coach to recycle.

I think unless there is a major falling out between Zorn and Vinny I think Zorn is fairly safe .

Lets not forget the same team with Gibbs, Saunders and Williams went 6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7 . Zorn in his first year as a head coach, the first year of him calling plays, directed that team 8-8 .

Zorn is young and ambitious we need continuity more than anything, we have seen Snyder hiring from within with Blanche and Kurt Olivetti, we had the chance of bigger name coaches last time around and declined . Fassell or Marriuchi were bigger names than Zorn, hell Schwartz and Spagnola were bigger names ...

Even with Cowher, Shanahan, Holgrem and others floating around there is no garuntee any of these will get a team next year because they will be looking for specific things

I don't believe that for one second and bet Zorn gets at LEAST one more year after this one. Personally I think our defense buys him one more year after that.

I should have just quoted that from myself from the other "skins are looking for a new HC" thread

Less of a chance of hiring Shanahan next year, now that Jay Cutler isn't a possibility. Had heard Shanahan wanted to be HC, if Cutler was traded to the Skins. Now, there's no incentive for him to come to the Skins with a more lucrative job like Dallas HC out there.
where did you hear that? I'm constantly searching skins news and i've never came across anything remotely close to that. Not saying it isn't true but seems like it would have been brought up earlier

Archived