Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Vinny's Offseason.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I gave Vinny an A: He made the team significantly better by focusing on the D. He also added the best talent available on the O’line. I know there are still question marks. However, every team has question marks.

- Signed the best DT in Football. Big Al. Wow…the team got a lot better

- Added or retained young Talent: DeAngelo Hall, Orakpo, Derrick Dockery, Jarmon, Jeremy Bridges, Kevin Barnes. Good draft, and acquisition / retention of young free agents.

- Released under performers: Jason Taylor, Marcus Washington, Jon Jansen

- Not afraid to look under any rock for talent: Marcus Mason, Mike Williams.

- Attempted to upgrade the QB position. Nice Try. If a player performs he gets paid and is retained. Too bad it didn’t work out. A for effort.

I gave it a C. I think our 1st and 3rd round picks will make the team and hopefully become contributors to our future success.

I don't think our 2nd or 4th round picks have a chance in hell of making the team and those picks should make the team (especially a non-playoff team). And he is responsible for those picks (lack of) as well.

It is a crap shoot about our 6th and (2) 7th round picks as it is for all teams. Mitchell "may" prove to be another 7th round steal?

B

B+ we got younger and bigger in the trenches, allways a good start. The BS with the QB situation keeps it from an A.

me a b+... and i dont think the qb drama detracts from his grade at all. As a gm, why wouldn't you try to get rid of your presently mediocre starting qb to aquire a seemingly productive qb? Wish, as others have already said, that he put more focus on the oline, but we'll see

• 5 weeks later...

This is a pipe dream. Phil Rivers is the best under-30 QB in the league and there is no way in hell the Chargers are letting him go.

Also, I would be shocked if 2010 went uncapped. There are so many incentives built in for the players and owners to get a deal done. And if 2010 is uncapped, the likelihood of a 2011 lockout is too high for it to be a desirable situation for fans either. And it may seem insignificant, but remember the NFL might have another proffessional league to compete with in the UFL.

Not to keep harping on the same subject, Philip Rivers, but Pastabelly thinks that A) Rivers may not resign with San Diego B)There may well be no cap.

In the wake of the six-year, $97.5 million extension signed recently by Eli Manning, and the eight-year, $102 million add-on that was awarded Ben Roethlisberger a year ago, there was much speculation that Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers would be the next Class of 2004 first-round quarterback to hit the extension mother lode.

Don't bet on a deal coming any time soon.

Vick can help a little

Expect the Eagles to use Michael Vick to help turn around their third-and-short woes from 2008. Pasquarelli

Rivers is entering the final year of his contract and can be an unrestricted free agent next spring, whether a collective bargaining agreement extension has been reached or not. It's not so much that discussions toward a Rivers extension have been fruitless so far as much as they have been sparse. Club officials took a hard-line stance in negotiating Rivers' rookie contract in 2004, and while general manager A.J. Smith has done a terrific job signing most of his core players to extensions, the Chargers, justifiably or not, are perceived around the NFL as a team that will sign a player to its numbers and not his.

Minus a contract extension, San Diego can still use a franchise designation on Rivers, but the tag probably will carry a tender value of $16 million to $17 million, and the franchise marker often precipitates acrimony between a player and team.

The Chargers are in better position with linebacker Shawne Merriman and left tackle Marcus McNeill, both of whom are entering the final season of their respective contracts. But because of their tenure in the league, Merriman (fifth season) and McNeill (fourth) will only be eligible for restricted free agency unless there is a CBA accord.

And the odds of that happening appear long indeed right now.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4412601&&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquarelli_len%26id%3d4412601#myespn

Not to keep harping on the same subject, Philip Rivers, but Pastabelly thinks that A) Rivers may not resign with San Diego B)There may well be no cap.
I understand some of the reasoning involved there (thanks for posting that stuff by the way), but I'd still be really surprised to see Rivers hit FA. They let Brees go, then Rivers?

In the crazy event Rivers was a FA- Vinny and Snyder better do everything he possibly could to sign him as a Redskin. You pick up a QB of Rivers' quality in FA, and it would be, arguably, the off-season move of the decade. Redskins would be instant Super Bowl contenders without a doubt. Adding a RT in the 1st round would be icing on the cake.

I understand some of the reasoning involved there (thanks for posting that stuff by the way), but I'd still be really surprised to see Rivers hit FA. They let Brees go, then Rivers?

In the crazy event Rivers was a FA- Vinny and Snyder better do everything he possibly could to sign him as a Redskin. You pick up a QB of Rivers' quality in FA, and it would be, arguably, the off-season move of the decade. Redskins would be instant Super Bowl contenders without a doubt. Adding a RT in the 1st round would be icing on the cake.

I don't think the Chargers will let him go. They will franchise him for sure if they have the cap room. This link says they have 28 million in 2010 cap room, more than enough:

http://www.sbnation.com/users/SJO/blog

I just think that especially if there is no cap, Rivers won't sign a new contract until he tests the market. Teams should be falling over themselves to give up two 1st rounders to sign him. In my mind, the two teams with the most to gain by signing Rivers are us and Minnesota, but I can't imagine cap strapped Minnesota having the dough to cough up. Per this PFT report, Favre contract highlights cash problems in Minnesota, the Vikes could barely pay Farve this year.

If there is a cap, we may still be able to sign him, but then we can say goodbye to some of our own FA, namely, Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers, and maybe Rocky McIntosh.

B+ Haynesworth was the yearly free agency splash for us, our draft wasn't bad, the free agents we signed are now starting or provide quality depth. To be honest the real shockingly smart move by Vinny was getting Jarmon. He just might be the biggest bang for our buck this year.

B-

Our D-line was atrocious last year, so Vinny got 2 potential stud rookies, and brought in the best DT in the league. D-Hall was resigned, giving us a playmaking corner to go with our shutdown corner (yes, I believe Carlos Rogers is a shutdown corner), and drafted a CB to replace the aging and increasingly less effective Smoot. (A)

Our O-line was bad last year, really bad. Kendell was old, so he was let go. We got Dock back at a much reduced price. I applaud the front office for cutting Jansen and forcing Bugel to cut ties with his favorite but aging, injury prone, and less talented RT. I'm a fan of Heyer, but think he'd be better as our backup LT than our starting RT. This team needs a starting RT, RG, and C next year. Hell, even 2 of the 3 would make our line exponentially better. ©

Special teams: Rayner is at least legitmate competition for Swishy, and we got Hunter. (B-)

If there is a cap, we may still be able to sign him, but then we can say goodbye to some of our own FA, namely, Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers, and maybe Rocky McIntosh.
I agree with what you're saying about the Chargers either keeping him, or him looking for a mega deal even we might not be able to afford. He also might prefer to stay in San Diego anyway- he's the main guy on that team now, it's got a lot of young talent, and it's in one of the softer divisions in the league (although the Chiefs could definitely be good in a few years, and the jury's out on how the Broncos will develop).

I like Campbell and would rather see him get a final shot this season over Collins, Brennan, even Cutler (who I think is really overrated), and I'm probably one of the most vocal Rogers supporters around here.

But really, in the event that the cards are somehow laid out to get Rivers on the market, I'd take him in an absolute heartbeat at the cost of losing Campbell/Rogers/Rocky. He'd replace Campbell obviously, you can find a good weakside LB early in the draft, and with more emphasis on the pass rush for our defense, we wouldn't even need an outstanding cover guy like Rogers, just a decent one. But Rivers is arguably a top 5 QB at only 27 years old. He would instantly be the best QB in the division, and possibly the best QB in the NFC.

Like I said, if Vinny could somehow pull that off...biggest off-season pickup of the decade, for any team. Get a RT in the 1st round and forget it. From fringe playoff team to Super Bowl contender.

I agree with what you're saying about the Chargers either keeping him, or him looking for a mega deal even we might not be able to afford. He also might prefer to stay in San Diego anyway- he's the main guy on that team now, it's got a lot of young talent, and it's in one of the softer divisions in the league (although the Chiefs could definitely be good in a few years, and the jury's out on how the Broncos will develop).

I like Campbell and would rather see him get a final shot this season over Collins, Brennan, even Cutler (who I think is really overrated), and I'm probably one of the most vocal Rogers supporters around here.

But really, in the event that the cards are somehow laid out to get Rivers on the market, I'd take him in an absolute heartbeat at the cost of losing Campbell/Rogers/Rocky. He'd replace Campbell obviously, you can find a good weakside LB early in the draft, and with more emphasis on the pass rush for our defense, we wouldn't even need an outstanding cover guy like Rogers, just a decent one. But Rivers is arguably a top 5 QB at only 27 years old. He would instantly be the best QB in the division, and possibly the best QB in the NFC.

Like I said, if Vinny could somehow pull that off...biggest off-season pickup of the decade, for any team. Get a RT in the 1st round and forget it. From fringe playoff team to Super Bowl contender.

I am SOOO with you on Cutler, can't stand the guy and think he is very overrated. The best thing that happened to us this season was not losing out on the opportunity to draft Orakpo and next year's 1st for Cutler.

Had to vote for a B, like the defensive moves but not convinced the OL is cured.
Couldn't really do much for the OL this go around though.

No good free agents and Orakpo was ridiculous value at the 13 spot. If Orakpo hadn't been there, then we should have taken Oher or traded back.

I think the OL is bound to flame out again at some miserable point this season, but it's not going to get resolved the way it should until next off-season.

Couldn't really do much for the OL this go around though.

No good free agents and Orakpo was ridiculous value at the 13 spot. If Orakpo hadn't been there, then we should have taken Oher or traded back.

I think the OL is bound to flame out again at some miserable point this season, but it's not going to get resolved the way it should until next off-season.

Aside from Cutler being overrated, I'm in total agreement with you.

• 2 months later...

Archived