Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Vinny's Offseason.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't take off much for the Cutler thing because if we get him we get an upgrade and if not at least we light a fire under JC ass too play with more urgency.

Ding.

By doing this, in a contract year, he basically poops or gets off the pot. He performs & does well, Dan will throw the bank at him. If not, then we're still looking for a franchise QB. So far, this motivational ploy seems to be working. When going through all the Cutler/Sanchez talk, it was reported that JC stood up & claimed this was his team. And his team mates responded. It seems it took a few drastic measures to get him out of his shell, but they, so far, seem to have taken hold & worked.

A bit early to call them all busts, don't ya think?

Thomas probably had the biggest upside of all the WRs in the draft. It is why he was the highest rated receiver in the draft, despite his lack of experience. Davis is probably going to get more playing time than you think. As for Kelly, well he's healthy now and what he brings is something no one else on the roster provides. There is a reason Zorn really wanted to get him onto the field.

As for our biggest needs at the time (DT, OL), there was little to no help in the second round that year. They picked what the draft gave them, which is the way good teams draft.

Thomas was passed on by every other single team in the league. Maybe a move for an unhappy Boldin would have been more of a sure thing?

Davis is only trade bait. Even if he is spectacular, he is never going to play the entire game. He is worth much more as a trade for us, than he ever will be on this team. Bad pick for a team with so many needs.

Malcomb is healthy? Wait til he gets a helmet on the knee.

I understand that was Zorn's first draft. I also understand that he had no idea what he was doing. And I understand he was probably giddy, and wanted some offensive threats for his system.

That is where Vinny needs to step in and say, "Jim, we will give you one receiver in the second. Take your pick. We have line needs that are much more important. Especially considering one of them has major health concerns, and the other has limited experience." That is when they needed to tell Zorn to relax.

And as far as BPA over need? Good teams field balanced attacks. They don't leave glaring holes. We couldn't afford to go BPA.

If the BPA is a QB every single round, you don't draft 7 of them in a row.

Nor do you waste a second on a backup to our pro bowl, young, TE.

Looks like most rank Vinny's offseason as a B so far.

I liked the Hunter Smith, Jeremy Bridges, Philip Daniels, Renaldo Wynn, Alfred Fincher and Derrick Dockery signings as well as the Brian Orakpo draft pick.

Appreciate the list TK. That's more decisions that I like than expected.

B.

He made the team younger, acquired some good talent and changed the tendency to acquire now and pay later, usually with draft picks.

I had hoped to see the OL situation addressed better, but at this point I am pretty sure there is something that the rest of us don't know - some mitigating factor that makes the OL situation better than we fans think it will be. However, that requires a lot of faith in the competence of our FO and young OL members, faith we haven't always had reason to have.

Anyway, I don't see VC being up in A territory yet. When he pulls off a few truly genius moves, maybe. For now, I think a B reflects an improvement over past offseasons.

Thomas was passed on by every other single team in the league. Maybe a move for an unhappy Boldin would have been more of a sure thing?

First, Boldin wasn't available last year. Second, all the WRs got passed on at least once.

Davis is only trade bait. Even if he is spectacular, he is never going to play the entire game. He is worth much more as a trade for us, than he ever will be on this team. Bad pick for a team with so many needs.

I think getting end-zone threats was certainly a need, and has been for a long time.

Malcomb is healthy? Wait til he gets a helmet on the knee.

And I'm sure you'd be perfectly healthy if someone nailed you in the knee. :silly:

I understand that was Zorn's first draft. I also understand that he had no idea what he was doing. And I understand he was probably giddy, and wanted some offensive threats for his system.

That is where Vinny needs to step in and say, "Jim, we will give you one receiver in the second. Take your pick. We have line needs that are much more important. Especially considering one of them has major health concerns, and the other has limited experience." That is when they needed to tell Zorn to relax.

So now Zorn is running the draft? As I said, you are always entertaining.

WR has been a need for a very long time on this team. With the WCO, big WRs are needed.

And as far as BPA over need? Good teams field balanced attacks. They don't leave glaring holes. We couldn't afford to go BPA.

If the BPA is a QB every single round, you don't draft 7 of them in a row.

Nor do you waste a second on a backup to our pro bowl, young, TE.

I think you misunderstand what BPA really means. It doesn't mean that you pick irregardless of need, but that need isn't the prime motivating factor.

Anyways, have a nice weekend you all. I'm out of here.

I didnt see the date that we signed Anthony Aldridge on that list.

Anyways, I think this offseason falls somewhere in the B+ to C+ area. I really really like the Robert Thomas signing. Haynesworth is an obvious awesome move, and I like the Jarmon pick up. Letting jansen go was a good move despite being a cold move.

However, I did not like the QB drama, and I do not like Orakpo playing LB. The man is a D-lineman, not a Linebacker. I think this stunts Orakpo's growth and learning. I also don't like how the O-line has been neglected besides Dock and Bridges. Mike Williams is still a big, big question mark. I also would have liked going after a top tier receiver instead of Cutler,Leftwich, and Sanchez. I think that even if Campbell doesn't step it up this season, (which he will) that Chase and Colt are good potential starters in the future. I also think we should have dealt Collins by now back to Saunders. if we would have gone after an established, top flight receiver, I think our offense would be deadly.

Instead, we just keep on upgrading our D.

What else were they going to do? He failed a physical with his neck problem, and it was time for him to go, as you agreed to. You can't keep him around and waste a roster spot, you can't trade him...outside of cutting him what's the other option we should have taken?

Let him retire here? ask him to do so? there are ways of letting someone go without cutting him. In all likelihood Thrash will retire anyway and come back as a coach. They should have offered him early retirement, the coaching job, and a little bit of a bonus if he accepted the job. is that such unreasonable way to treat a great Redskin?

Let him retire here? ask him to do so? there are ways of letting someone go without cutting him. In all likelihood Thrash will retire anyway and come back as a coach. They should have offered him early retirement, the coaching job, and a little bit of a bonus if he accepted the job. is that such unreasonable way to treat a great Redskin?
Ok, so how do you know that discussion wasn't actually had with Thrash? And maybe he wanted to see if he could play elsewhere? The guy hasn't officially retired yet, it's possible he's still working out and his agent is calling around to see if anybody's interested.

He was a solid veteran presence and a great special teams guy, but we're not talking about Art Monk here or even Santana Moss.

A- because we are still, as yet, worried about the right side of the OL, have just two established WRs and lack a confirmed franchise QB. I remain confident that this will all settle itself by midseason however based on our free agent and draft acquisitions. Vinny certainly seems to be making this year's cut decisions extremely tough for the coaching staff. I know I want to keep just about everyone.

Zorn and the organization has had nothing but praise for Thrash, and if you read the press releases at the time there is definantly that offer on the table to either retire as a skin or come as a coaching assistant .

I think Thrash is really uncertian what to do . I am not sure his release came so he could find another team but I think James asked for his release because he was not sure if he wanted to play football at all in 2009, or indeed if his body would let him play . Knowing the team has young tallent to develop and he was tying up a roster space Thrash did the characteristically classy thing to do and stepped down . Thrash may be back, but I doubt it as a player but he was always a favorite .

I gave us an A minus. We really upgraded the talent and youth on our defense. We lucked into Orakpo, Barnes was a solid match of need and talent, Haynesworth could be the defensive MVP, and I love getting a player comparable to Robert Ayers, with better sack production, for a third round pick.

If Mike Williams is able to resurrect his career, Vinnie is probably more lucky than genius, but if Williams starts and is solid, you have to give the offseason an A plus.

I think our biggest mistake of the offseason, was not signing Leroy Hill when Seattle rescinded the franchise tag. Pull up our roster and tell me if you think our linebackers aren't the weakest unit on the team. To my eye, they look worse than our O-line. Imagine if a proven right tackle was available as a FA, we had the cap room to sign him, but didn't. McIntosh has consistently had balky knees, and there is noone of consequence to replace him. We also have no true SAM. Hill could have been both of these.

I think our biggest success of the offseason was in not trading for Cutler. Who would you rather have, Cutler, with his poor leadership abilities, poor win-loss record,penchant for throwing interceptions and mediocre quarterback rating, or, Orakpo and whoever we choose in the first round next year. an easy choice in my mind. Cutler just wasn't a sure enough bet to be worth two 1sts.

Lastly, I will be stunned if 2010 is uncapped, which I think it will be, if we don't sign Rivers away from San Diego. He has all the qualities that Cutler lacked, has been VERY productive throwing to mediocre receivers, and I imagine wouldn't mind coming back closer to N.C. I look for us to forgo our 2010 and 2011 1st round picks and solidify our QB situation for the forseeable future. With a true elite QB, and our current defense with a more seasoned Orakpo and Jarmon, and hopefully a true SLB, we could be an annual SB contender.

I gave us an A minus. We really upgraded the talent and youth on our defense. We lucked into Orakpo, Barnes was a solid match of need and talent, Haynesworth could be the defensive MVP, and I love getting a player comparable to Robert Ayers, with better sack production, for a third round pick.

You usually have good things to say. I agree with everything here. I really liked Robert Ayers and I would have rather had a combination of him and Eric Wood over Orakpo and Barnes if we could have somehow worked that out. But Wood ended up going way earlier than anyone expected. Whatever, Barnes and Orakpo will both be studs here and if Jarmon is that good than it's a moot point. I didn't realize Jarmon drew comparisons to Ayers. That's very encouraging.

I think our biggest mistake of the offseason, was not signing Leroy Hill when Seattle rescinded the franchise tag. Pull up our roster and tell me if you think our linebackers aren't the weakest unit on the team. To my eye, they look worse than our O-line. Imagine if a proven right tackle was available as a FA, we had the cap room to sign him, but didn't. McIntosh has consistently had balky knees, and there is noone of consequence to replace him. We also have no true SAM. Hill could have been both of these.

I think we'll be alright at linebacker. Fletcher plays almost every snap and he's solid and I think McIntosh is a star in the making. We have good safeties and corners , we'll be able to play a lot of 2 linebacker formations. I would have really liked to see us go after that center Jason Brown from the Ravens that the rams signed, or made a concerted effort to get Vernon Carey. Neither are superstars but they are both solid players.

Lastly, I will be stunned if 2010 is uncapped, which I think it will be, if we don't sign Rivers away from San Diego. He has all the qualities that Cutler lacked, has been VERY productive throwing to mediocre receivers, and I imagine wouldn't mind coming back closer to N.C. I look for us to forgo our 2010 and 2011 1st round picks and solidify our QB situation for the forseeable future. With a true elite QB, and our current defense with a more seasoned Orakpo and Jarmon, and hopefully a true SLB, we could be an annual SB contender.

This is a pipe dream. Phil Rivers is the best under-30 QB in the league and there is no way in hell the Chargers are letting him go.

Also, I would be shocked if 2010 went uncapped. There are so many incentives built in for the players and owners to get a deal done. And if 2010 is uncapped, the likelihood of a 2011 lockout is too high for it to be a desirable situation for fans either. And it may seem insignificant, but remember the NFL might have another proffessional league to compete with in the UFL.

Overall I'd give the offseason an A- too. The only real sticking point was the lack of a substantial upgrade to the offensive line but you can't do everything in one offseason. We had a good draft class to add to last year's excellent class sets us up really well at the skill positions and on the defensive line.

Vinny made the best of our situation considering the lack of cap room and the Jason Taylor debacle. We'll have to continue to be patient and see what happens with our QBs and receivers.

Yeah, wow, I'd be shocked if 2011 went uncapped and Rivers was on the market. I wasn't for the Cutler trade (he's not as productive as some people believe him to be), but Rivers is a different story. I'd trade 2 first rounders for him in a heart beat.

IMO, Rivers is one turd level below Cutler. Yes he's got the talent, but he's just as big a headache.

Overall a B- from me.

The Good:

- The team got a lot younger!

- Resigning Dockery at a good price.

- Picking up Jarmon in the supplemental draft.

The Average:

- Haynesworth: Great signing of course, but the contract will cripple us in future years if a salary cap agreement is reached.

- The Draft: Orakpo was a no brainer, the rest of the picks seemed solid to me but its early to judge.

The Bad:

- The Cutler & Sanchez dramas

- Hall: Glad we resigned him but we overpaid by a massive amount.

- I don't think we have done enough to solve last year's problems with our OLine and Special Teams kickers.

I'm in shock that a single person voted "F". No matter how you feel about certain occurences or moves, the team certainly isn't WORSE.

And, as an aside, according to the poll we have a member on here called "Fat Stupid Loser"...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But seriously. Who knew that Wade Phillips had an account on here?

IMO, Rivers is one turd level below Cutler. Yes he's got the talent, but he's just as big a headache.
How? He's not even close to the primadonna Cutler is off the field, and he's not the turnover machine Cutler is on the field.

Rivers is so much better than Cutler on every level (both on the field and off) it's not even close. Like stevemcqueen said, he's the best QB under 30 in the entire NFL, hands down.

I gave him a B+. I think that we did a very good job of bostering the D-line. Now we just need to get a real QB, and start rebuilding the O-line.

Jason Campbell has a chance to prove what he has proved his whole football career so far. That he's a real QB. Remember, he had a different O cordinator every year in college and his senior year he went undefeated. Has had a different O coordinator every year in the NFL and is finally in his second year with a team. Lets see how it works out.

How? He's not even close to the primadonna Cutler is off the field, and he's not the turnover machine Cutler is on the field.

Rivers is so much better than Cutler on every level (both on the field and off) it's not even close. Like stevemcqueen said, he's the best QB under 30 in the entire NFL, hands down.

I definitely agree that Rivers is better than Cutler :yes:...at least right now.

Jason Campbell has a chance to prove what he has proved his whole football career so far. That he's a real QB. Remember, he had a different O cordinator every year in college and his senior year he went undefeated. Has had a different O coordinator every year in the NFL and is finally in his second year with a team. Lets see how it works out.

If you're so busy coming up with excuses for the guy that you don't even have your facts straight. JC had the same Offensive Cordinator for two years with Al Saunders, but he sucked it up still, so that doesn't fit with you lame excuses so you just ignore that little fact.

:stupid:

JC sucks and this team will suffer for having him as the starting QB for one more year.

If you're so busy coming up with excuses for the guy that you don't even have your facts straight. JC had the same Offensive Cordinator for two years with Al Saunders, but he sucked it up still, so that doesn't fit with you lame excuses so you just ignore that little fact.

first you have to fail to have excuses.... Campbell has shown steady improvement despite the obstacles he's had in his way.

JC sucks and this team will suffer for having him as the starting QB for one more year.

:stupid:

pretty much sums up your bias opinion :)

BTW, sorry for continuing the JC hijacking..... please get back to the topic

Archived