Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Vinny's Offseason.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

While we are bumping old threads, this is a classic.

Wow how some of you loved Vinnie just 3 months ago :)

Well, in fairness, we're all fans. Vinny is supposed to be judged on results, not what fans thought at the time. If we were wise enough to know what all the right moves were as they were happening, we'd be personnel men.

So, I don't blame fans for liking moves when they happen and getting excited about certain things. In fact, that's what we're supposed to do since very few moves are clearly great or clearly horrible.

Vinny (or a real GM) is the one who is supposed to know the nuances and minor differences between player A and player B and put a good product on the field. So, I think it's foolish to call fans out when they got excited about certain acquisitions that turned out to be bad.

I think it's foolish to call fans out when they got excited about certain acquisitions that turned out to be bad.

Not calling out anyone.

Really you shouldn't judge vinnies team for 2-3 years out. It's not fair after one full season post gibbs.

That said, I still want him gone :silly:

Still, Spurrier had hoped to give this NFL thing a go. He had signed a five-year contract, and a deal is a deal.

Until ...

"At the start of the second season, we were putting a team together, and the owner picked the quarterbacks," Spurrier said. "That's when I knew this ain't going to work. It also happened with a couple of other players. As a coaching staff, we didn't pick the team. We lost that argument and did the best we could." In his last season, 2003, which ended with a 5-11 record, the Redskins' worst since 1994, Spurrier and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato didn't see eye-to-eye on personnel. Spurrier refused to play several high-profile free agents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, Vinny gave Spurrier Trung Canidate as a starting RB...

Ban Vinny from Redskin Park.

3 months later, this guy turned out to be right.

Gibbs left us with a playoff team. Vinny has had TWO offseasons to address and aging and thin offensive line. The age and injuries were going to catch up with us and it has... THREE second rounders... NONE were o-linemen.

Fire Vinny

Ban Vinny from Redskin Park

Great thread. And some good points, especially by TK.

My thoughts? The draft was absolutely awful. But, it was following last year's draft, which was the worst in franchise history.

I do give him credit for realizing that last year's second round was a total bust, and he at least tried to get some more receivers in here.

The difference between this year and last year, is that it seems Vinny realized how badly he screwed up this year's draft very quickly after the fact, and made some moves to try and repair the damage.

Draft grade- D

After the draft-B

We are still going to be an incredibly frustrating team to watch. Our o-line is going to be awful, and will be a year older. We won't be able to run to the right, and we may not be able to pass block, either.

But, with any luck, we may be able to be another Baltimore this season. Great defense, pathetic offense. And that would be a HUGE upgrade.

I do believe the QB situation will be repaired by the sixth game of the season, with JCs career in Washington over, and Colt's era beginning. I also believe Colt will be the best QB we have had here in over a decade. And in time, maybe one of the best we have ever had.

Now, had we traded away the majority of our draft after Orakpo to move up and get Oher......or to get a real receiver like Boldin, or had even brought Housh in here, Vinny would get an A+ from me.

Overall rating: C

I graded the draft a D. And said the year prior was the worst draft in franchise history.

I have no idea why I was so optimistic.

• 1 month later...
So ummm... If we were to regrade it...

He'd drop a few grades for bringing in a bingo caller at mid season who got more out of the offense then his hand picked head coach which ultimately cost him his job.

Problem is, it's tough to grade a guy based on a set of individual moves. Individual moves can be good or bad, but what's more important is the work environment you create. Do you create an environment of teamwork and cameraderie, or do you create an environment of finger-pointing and back-stabbing? Vinny seemed to thrive on chaos, but it's a terrible model for the workplace.

Some bad personnel moves can be overcome in a good working environment, and some good moves can be undone in a poor working environment. That's why wins and losses is about the only true measuring stick for a front office.

I have always thought Vinny was a good judge of college talent. I don't fault his picks.

But his free agency...disastrous. The Archuletta situation alone was enough to get him fired IMO. Ryan Clark wanted to stay, all he wanted was a starting job. He would have still been here if not for that.

Archived