Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Vinny's Offseason.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The following is a list of every player transaction since Jan. 1, 2009. Draft class & expected Free Agent starters signed are highlighted in green.

Date Position Name Description

July 16 DE Jeremy Jarmon Drafted by the Redskins in the third round of the NFL Supplemental Draft

June 12 LB Tyson Smith Released

June 12 LS Jeremy Cain Released

June 12 WR James Thrash Released

June 12 LB Robert Henson Signed to a contract

June 12 WR Marko Mitchell Signed to a contract

June 11 LB Cody Glenn Signed to a contract

June 11 FB Eddie Williams Signed to a contract

May 29 OT Jon Jansen Released

May 07 DE J.D. Skolnitsky Signed to a contract

May 07 LB Darrel Young Signed to a contract

May 07 WR Keith Eloi Signed to a contract

May 07 P Zac Atterberry Released

May 05 OL Jeremy Bridges Signed to a contract

May 04 DT Brigham Harwell Released

May 04 WR Roydell Williams Signed to a contract

May 04 WR Trent Shelton Signed to a contract

May 04 OL Isaiah Ross Released

May 04 WR John Halman Released

May 04 LB Ronnie Palmer Released

May 04 TE Devin Frischknecht Released

April 28 RB Marcus Mason Claimed off waivers from the New York Jets

April 27 TE Robert Agnone Signed to a contract

April 27 OL Scott Burley Signed to a contract

April 27 QB Chase Daniel Signed to a contract

April 27 DT Antonio Dixon Signed to a contract

April 27 CB Doug Dutch Signed to a contract

April 27 TE Devin Frischknecht Signed to a contract

April 27 DT Brigham Harwell Signed to a contract

April 27 WR John Halman Signed to a contract

April 27 S Lendy Holmes Signed to a contract

April 27 LB Ronnie Palmer Signed to a contract

April 27 DE Derek Walker Signed to a contract

April 27 C Edwin Williams Signed to a contract

April 27 WR Jaison Williams Signed to a contract

April 27 P Hunter Smith Signed to a contract

April 26 CB Kevin Barnes Selected by the Redskins in the third round (80th overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft

April 26 LB Cody Glenn Selected by the Redskins in the fifth round (158th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft

April 26 LB Robert Henson Selected by the Redskins in the sixth round (186th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft

April 26 FB Eddie Williams Selected by the Redskins in the seventh round (221st overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft

April 26 WR Marko Mitchell Selected by the Redskins in the seventh round (243rd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft

April 26 WR Marko Mitchell Selected by the Redskins in the seventh round (243rd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft

April 25 DE Brian Orakpo Selected by the Redskins in the first round (13th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft

April 24 P Dirk Johnson Released

April 24 OL Mike Williams Signed to a contract

April 08 LB Robert Thomas Signed to a contract

April 02 DE Phillip Daniels Signed to a contract

March 26 DE Renaldo Wynn Signed to a contract

March 17 LB Matt Sinclair Released

March 11 S Reed Doughty Signed to a contract

March 10 LB Alfred Fincher Signed to a contract

March 05 P Dirk Johnson Signed to a contract

March 03 G Derrick Dockery Signed to a contract

March 02 DE Jason Taylor Released

February 27 CB DeAngelo Hall Signed to a contract

February 27 DT Albert Haynesworth Signed to a contract

February 27 CB Shawn Springs Released

February 26 DT Kedric Golston Tendered a contract as a restricted free agent

February 26 DT Anthony Montgomery Tendered a contract as a restricted free agent

February 25 K Shaun Suisham Tendered a contract as a restricted free agent

February 20 LB Marcus Washington Released

February 13 P Ryan Plackemeier Released

February 11 CB Byron Westbrook Signed to a contract

February 04 K Dave Rayner Signed to a contract

February 04 RB Dominique Dorsey Signed to a contract

January 06 OL Isaiah Ross Signed to a contract

January 05 P Zac Atterberry Signed to a contract

January 05 FB Jonathan Evans Signed to a contract

January 05 LS Jeremy Cain Signed to a contract

January 05 LB Tyson Smith Signed to a contract

January 05 WR Marques Hagans Signed to a contract

January 05 OL Rueben Riley Signed to a contract

January 05 DB Michael Grant Signed to a contract

So, with this list & this being Year Two where Vinny is solely & undisputablely in charge, where do you grade his offseason?

B-

Lack of draft picks hurt but overall I'm actually pretty happy with our moves. Only other consideration is did we have to pay Big Albert 100 million to land him. And for the record, I never thought I would ever say that with Vinny as GM. Pleasantly surprized.

I would say B. I'm basing it on addressing overall needs.

I think he got great value with many of the picks. I would have liked to see the OL addressed in the draft and not just the FA.

We look to have a good group of receivers on the roster. The OL still seems a bit shaky. Dropping Jansen was smart. Going for Jarmon with a third rounder was also a good move.

I think the team has some solid young depth across the board, with the exception of the OL.

Even though Orakpo has yet to sign a deal with us, I gave him a B. I hated his draft but loved everything else.

It's a domino effect with draft picks as far as contracts getting signed. There's no doubt in my mind that he won't be properly paid before training camp.

This is Dan Snyder were talking about!

I like the moves Vinny has done because he's building depth on defense. But, my only concern, which is why I'm going to give him a B is that he needed to also concentrate on OL via the draft. If Mike Willams pans out then I would bump it up to an A-

I liked dumping Plackemeier as he was causing Suisham issues when holding for him.

I agreed with dumping Marcus as injuries were catching up with him. I also liked trying to re-sign him on the cheap as depth with his knowledge of the system.

Re-signing Suisham, well I'll reserve judgement & see how well he does with Hunter Smith as his holder.

Cutting Springs was most likely needed as he was healthy enough to play 6 games a year. However, when he did play, he was our best player on the field. I went into the offseason thinking that the the coaches would surprisingly keep him around & we'd trade 'Los for a draft pick.

Haynesworth. No brainer.

D. Hall - See above.

Jason Taylor. Released. HALLELUJAH! Thankfully that experiment is over. I never like the trade for him to begin with. I understood the need & reason for it, I just hated what we had to give up for his punk ass.

Dockery's return. Nice move. He was overpaid in Buffalo, & hopefully Buges can get him to mprove his footwork.

Fincher, Doughty, Wynn, & Daniels re-signed. All good moves for depth to get through Camp with. Doughty & Wynn though may be on the bubble.

Mike Williams. Low risk, high reward. And the best part is the guy has damn near made his targeted weight. If this move alone works out, I'll have to move my grading up an entire grade.

Dumping Punter Dirk Johnson the day before the Draft & signing Hunter Smith of the Colts the day after the Draft, instant upgrade.

Orakpo. Our D is simply going to kill people. We addressed our lacking pass rush, just upgraded Marcus Washington, & didn't give up our picks from this year & next year for Sanchez.

Dumping Jansen. Probably the biggest surprise cut of the year. And it should have happened at least a year or two earlier. I'd still love to see him sign a one day contract here & retire a Skin though.

Cutting Thrash. He'll be missed in the Locker room & on ST. Injuries can be a *****.

Jeremy Jarmon. Excellent move & well worth next year's 3rd even though he hasn't played a down of Pro ball yet.

EDIT

Cutler. Now that would have me grading him out at an A++. :D

This seemed to be like the first hear he was beginning to 'get it.' I have him a A, probably a combination of grading on a curve and me being a homer, but if this is how he does things from now on, we can really develop the team in the coming years.

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

When did we let Plackemaier go? Sorry, but I didn't hear about that, and I really liked him for some reason.

I gave him a B+, but it probably should have been a B. The Good: Drafting Orakpo, signing AH and Dockery, re-signing Hall. The Bad: Not Addressing the OL in the draft when they had ample opportunity to do so. The Ugly: The whole Cutler and Mark Sanchez chase.

I give him an F for a curve, kinda like an epic fail curve!

Well that certainly didn't take long. And since you really didn't contribute anything worthwhile, don't post again in this thread unless you want to actually back up your drivel. :)

Archived