Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grading Vinny's Offseason.

TK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If you're so busy coming up with excuses for the guy that you don't even have your facts straight. JC had the same Offensive Cordinator for two years with Al Saunders, but he sucked it up still, so that doesn't fit with you lame excuses so you just ignore that little fact.

:stupid:

JC sucks and this team will suffer for having him as the starting QB for one more year.

Right, nevermind the fact that when he came in to start in 2006 the offense was definitely reigned in by Joe Gibbs who turned it back into his offense. The '07 offense we saw was not the same as the one we saw at the end of '06.

And no, JC did not "suck it up" in '07. He certainly could've done better, but he didn't "suck it up". The exaggerations around here are so annoying.

And like bubba said, sorry for continuing the JC hijacking... but that needed a response considering your tone and disrespect to the poster you responded to. No need to call him stupid (and don't tell me that wasn't your intention with that smilie).

How? He's not even close to the primadonna Cutler is off the field, and he's not the turnover machine Cutler is on the field.

Rivers is so much better than Cutler on every level (both on the field and off) it's not even close. Like stevemcqueen said, he's the best QB under 30 in the entire NFL, hands down.

He's a warrior too. He played a seemingly unbeatable Patriots team in the AFC championship on a torn ACL. Meanwhile Mike Vrabel did everything he could to take out his bad leg including a mortal kombat like leg sweep (that he got away with) after he missed a sack.

I don't know if anyone here has ever torn a knee ligament before. I thank my lucky stars I haven't, but my best friend tore his ACL one year and he's a tough guy. The pain from it is monstrous. The fact that Rivers went out and played an entire game on what like 2 weeks after it happened deserves a tremendous amount of respect. He's everything you want in a leader and player.

:saber:Generally I like what Vinny has done this off-season. But plenty of improvements, IMO, which still need to happen.

Plusses:

1) Getting rid of older, injury prone veterans is a definite big plus.

2) Bringing in the most dominant DT (when motivated) in the game.

3) Bringing in young defensive line talent.

4) Adding a good rookie CB.

5) Bringing in a couple of seasoned vets for the o-line. (Jeremy Bridges, Derrick Dockery) - (not at all convinced by Mike Williams)

Minusses:

1) Two late round picks on LBs;

2) I'm less than convinced about the long term continuity of the o-line.

3) If the plan was always to use Brian Orakpo as a LB, then we should have spent more time trying to shop the pick.

4) Handling of J Campbell. Not a big issue, because if he plays well, if will only cost us more money to keep his services (because I guess he'll feel less loyal to the organisation) - and we've proved that we can manage the cap implications.

In summary a B. Only 1 (D-Line) of the 3 major weaknesses (D-Line, O-line and LB) significantly addressed. But generally some good talent in to replace older, injury prone talent.

Now it's up to the coaching team to use the talent appropriately.

I think we'll be alright at linebacker. Fletcher plays almost every snap and he's solid and I think McIntosh is a star in the making. We have good safeties and corners , we'll be able to play a lot of 2 linebacker formations. I would have really liked to see us go after that center Jason Brown from the Ravens that the rams signed, or made a concerted effort to get Vernon Carey. Neither are superstars but they are both solid players.

This is a pipe dream. Phil Rivers is the best under-30 QB in the league and there is no way in hell the Chargers are letting him go.

I agree that signing Jason Brown would have been great. I do think we could have afforded his 5 year 37.5 million dollar contract if we hadn't bitten the Jansen bullet. I know this is skeezy, but I would have put Jansen on IR to save that roster spot, and signed Brown or Leroy Hill. Knowing our cap people, there's a chance we could have squeezed in both.

I like our starting linebackers this year, but we still have no true SAM on the roster. Fletcher is great, but old, and won't last forever. Hopefully Haynesworth helps preserve him. I really like McIntosh as a player and a locker room guy, but I worry about his knees. They weren't so hot before his ACL injury. I wish Vinnie would stop steering us towards guys with balky knees. It's the worst problem you can have as an NFL player.

Regarding our linebackers, at least some people don't think Dansby will be franchised again in 2010. The boy is a stud and would let us move Orakpo over into Carter's spot.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/07/17/dansby-faces-cloudy-future-with-cardinals

Regarding Philip Rivers, if there is a cap in 2010, then you are right, it is a pipe dream. But there is a really good chance there will be no cap. The players union seems to be bracing for the possibility. There is no way Rivers signs a contract extension during the season before what may be an uncapped year. If he has an agent, and I believe he is with Jimmy Sexton, then that agent would be crazy to do anything but wait to see if there is a CBA prior to next offseason. If there is no CBA, then all the Chargers can do is franchise him. Think we wouldn't make a HUGE offer and gladly hand over two firsts? I'm guessing that a number of teams would be chomping at the bit for that chance.

Hopefully we can carry this momentum into next year. I've realy got my fingers crossed that Bridges or Williams pans out at RT. We could then focus on the interior of the O-line and fortify our linebackers.

I may be alone in this, but I also would love to see a mountain of a two gap tackle next to Haynesworth. A Terrence Cody, Vince Wilfork, Shaun Rogers type player playing next to the 100 million dolar man would keep our linebackers squeaky clean.

I may be alone in this, but I also would love to see a mountain of a two gap tackle next to Haynesworth. A Terrence Cody, Vince Wilfork, Shaun Rogers type player playing next to the 100 million dolar man would keep our linebackers squeaky clean.

There will be some good defensive linemen available next year including Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork. I don't know if the patriots will be able to keep both. My guess is that they'd hold onto Wilfork since he's several years younger and he's a pure 0 tech.

We don't necessarily need a 2 gap player since Haynesworth can play nose for us. Unless we continue to move towards a 3-4 philosophy. I really like the Jarmon pick because he can be a pure LE. He'll be stout covering the C gap and probably we can line him up directly over the RT. This gives us some flexibility I feel without worrying about the run, and I'd rather see us go after a studly 3 tech in the first round of next year's draft. Griffin is getting older and who knows what we'll do with Monty and Gholston.

But I do see what you're saying though. Wilfork would be great and he'd let us do whatever we wanted with Haynesworth and not have to worry about losing anything against the run. Man it's a luxury having him on the team.

But mainly, if there isn't a cap, there will be restrictions put on free agency that will put the breaks on all this speculation. I heard somewhere that playoff teams won't be able to go after other teams' free agents. That would suck.

I know Dansby is good, but I like Merriman even more. I know he's coming back from a serious injury and his coverage skills probably aren't all that great. But I think he could be an absolute stud in our 4-3 defense playing the SAM and moving Orakpo back to RE. He's already got extensive experience playing linebacker and he would be the best pass rusher on our team.

Him, Orakpo, and Haynesworth, and even Carter would be an obscene amount of weapons to rush with. Not even the Giants could match that.

It takes at least two or three seasons to fairly grade a draft.

True. That's why we are grading the players as prospects rather than actually evaluating their careers. You look at their skill sets and see if they have a place on our team. And you look at their projected draft range and see if we got a steal or if we reached.

At least that's how I've approached it. We got great value on Orakpo, Barnes, Jarmon, and Mitchell. We got poor value on Cody Glenn. Robert Henson and Eddie Williams are both pretty much a wash. We'll see how they do. Williams could have gone fairly high in the draft for a fullback/h back but he had a severe injury.

Getting Edwin Williams undrafted was also a solid stroke of luck. Too many great centers were in the class, otherwise he would have definitely been taken.

I gave him a B+. The only things I wish they had addressed, but didn't, were signing Ray Willis from Seattle and upgrading our PR/KR, although Aldridge or Dorsey could be a fit there. I love what he did with our defense in terms of additions (Orakpo, Haynesworth, Jarmon, Hall) and subtraction (Springs, Washington, Taylor). Offensively I really think we will be much improved with a more comfortable coach and QB plus adding Dockery. I expect Thomas and Kelly to make positive impacts in the passing game.

Dumping Plack is an A+ and a no brainer

Resigning Suisham: Incomplete, lets see how he does this season with Hunter holding for him

Haynesworth: A+, Fat Albert will get instant pressure on the D-Line and should make Orakpo, Carter, and Jarmon better

D. Hall: He's motivated and a healthier player than Springs A

Dumping Springs: B- We knew this was coming

Jansen: Surprise cut, hopefully Bridges or Williams can step up cause I am not 100% sold on Stephon Heyer

Orakpo: A+ no brainer at the draft

Hunter: A+ finally a decent punter

Cutler/Sanchez Saga: F

Jarmon: A we don't have to address this next draft and we can get Ciron Black or Brian Balunga

Nice to get people's opinion before hindsight kicks in :)

I'm discounting the attempts to replace JC as I believe that to be more The Danny than Vinny so I went B+. I like the focus he's brought to the off season. Last season it was pass catcher, this season DL, next OL? depending on how we go. The competition and comraderie that having multiple new guys at similar positions I think helps, especially the younger guys.

Younger guys, lots of. Even the high priced vet move guys are young. Nothing wrong with high priced vets who are arguably going to get even better. Releasing older guys that can no longer get it done for a 16+ game season is common sense and Vinny has the confidence to do that now.

For this season DL was and should have been the focus. Signed Haynesworth and tried to move up for Orakpo, used a 3rd for another DE prospect. Carter is going to be able to take a few plays getting a breather, no running on us and a pass rush - in theory at least. The OL moves may mean we can go LBer next off season, may not.

I do think that lines are the first that should get sorted, but D is easier than O to get right. As the D all you need is 1 guy to match up well and game changing plays happen, as the O if you have one position where you match up bad it really hurts (see RT with Cooley and Portis held back to protect). We appear to have made a major upgrade to our D and I'm excited to see how they go.

Kevin Barnes was a good pick IMO. I want OL studs so using a 3rd on a player who dropped due injury was fine with me. Because we have a very good group of DBs we can take the risk on a potential stud with a lower pick and see how they go, given time and not much pressure on game days. Can't have enough good DBs in the pass happy NFL of today, and if we end up with too many they are good for trades.

Lastly the kick returner situation has now changed with the ruling changes to the wedge. We have a bunch of fast, nimble guys competing. That's being up with the curve at the very least and may make the grade a future A.

Wow people are really on board with Vinny this year...

I think it's been a gradual process over the past few years: we've gotten younger from the top down. (secondary & linebackers) while trying to do the same on offense. If the 2nd round sophomores can step up, then we will start to see all the FO's plans coming to fruition.

As there's still some question marks, namely around the O-line, I'm gonna hold off on praising Vinny too highly, but we had a good draft, and he's been creative in bringing in guys like Williams and Jarmon, who could potentially have huge impacts.

B

i gave him a b+

took our biggest weakness and made it one of our greatest strengths

as for the people who aren't happy with the contracts we gave players, stop whining.

you don't pay the contract and it does not have a bearing on anything. contracts are a competitive part of being in the FO. you are bidding against other teams.

overpaying guys is a myth. the first time the redskins can't sign someone because they're strapped for cash maybe you can say something.

Archived